For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Now I want to visit Canada just to see how many people will apologize to me for not actually offending me in any way. 

• Like 5
bluedragonwings

The real question is how many Canadians can you get to apologize to you while looking at you with absolute disgust or hatred.

• Like 3

Welcome Ryan! 

4 hours ago, bluedragonwings said:

The real question is how many Canadians can you get to apologize to you while looking at you with absolute disgust or hatred.

It happens... I have been known to give a stink-eye a few times a year. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ryan Wright said:

*walks in and makes herself comfortamble with a drink and cigarette smiling* It's nice to find some other 30's :)

Welcome Ryan!

The fact I'm American will get me the stink eye automatically, even though I didn't vote for the doofus currently serving as president. I'm simply guilty by association. 

Snao Cone

Global attitudes towards Americans have been bad for a much longer time than 45's been president.

• Like 2

I remember being in Australia with my mother when I was 15 and locals would be remarkably open about how they could tell we were Canadian by our accents and they were happy we were Canadian. It was strange, because as a young teenager I'd never really thought about Canada vs America much, aside from wishing I lived in California for the weather. (On a side note, unless you're talking about regional Canadian/American accents, like Southern-American or Newfoundland-Canadian, or obviously French-Canadian, I've always been terrible at differentiating our accents. Vocabulary can give it away, but not the accent for me. I spent a summer in the SF bay area and aside from their frequent use of "hella" I couldn't tell a difference between me and people I was spending time with. Though when I was 13 and on exchange in New York the girls I was going to school with would comment especially whenever I said "sorry" about how different it sounded. And they loved the colours of Canadian money.)

I also remember staying with a friend in Brooklyn for a week when I was 23 or so. She was at work, and I was wandering around Manhattan hitting a few spots before going to meet up with her back in Brooklyn. I was to meet her at a bar and she just gave me the address, like "111 Blue" (not actual address, which I don't remember). So I take the subway to what I thought was the closest stop and go to 111 Blue -- it's an apartment building. I was expecting a pub. I go around the corner to a shop with a front window (I guess so you can buy your cigarettes really quickly?) and tell the man there my confusion. He sighs and rolls his eyes. "You come down from the city?" Clear exasperation in his voice. I say, "No, from Canada." He brightens up immediately and is all "OH well let me help you! Want me to call you a car? Come on in while you wait!" ...which I guess says more about the frustrations of Brooklynites dealing with Manhattanites than anything, but it seemed like a funny story to tell.

DebtheDemi

Trying to do a woodchuck Canuck tongue twister, but I can't figure it out.

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

How much muck could a Canuck chuck, if a canuck would chuck muck?

A Canuck would chuck all the muck in their truck, if their big truck weren't stuck in the muck. 

Because the shmucks luck fucking sucks, so that Canuck won't chuck muck.

Sorry.

• Like 5
Snao Cone

Nice closing there, beedeedubs.

• Like 2
njosnavelin

Riding my bike today home from work. I noticed a dude riding is bike slowly and swerving in the lane. I watched him ride right in front a turning car. I am thinking this dude is totally drunk. I passed him and he passed me. I passed him again and he passed me. We passed each other because I naturally cruise faster and being cautious. He was going slower and not being safe about his riding found away to sneak back ahead of me. I was coming up to the fourth pass he slows down to me, “Hey Man” he says, “You like bourbon?” I notice on his hip he is flashing me a little nip. “Yeah!” “You want some?” “Sure!” We slow down and pull over on a walking path. He cracks it open and takes a swig passes it to me. ”Cool thanks man” I comment on his style of bourbon choice. We start a small talk conversation where we were coming from where we are headed exchange pleasantries. We hop back on our bikes and pedal up further together. He is still being carefree. He is ten or nine bike lengths ahead of me turning into a shopping center parking lot and I continue on straight ahead. I saw him turn his head around and I gave him the peace sign yelling, “Peace Brother!” 

I got home and felt bad like I might have broken some bike code. I don’t want to take advantage of anyone but he was offering.  Poor drunk bastard.

• Like 5
Skycaptain

You don't want to ride a bike drunk in Britain. It a criminal offence (drunk in charge) and you need your wits about you

njosnavelin

You can get charged for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) in the states for riding a bike drunk. It is rare but it does happen. 

Bikes are in a gray area of the law because under circumstance they flip flop from vehicle to pedestrian. I see cyclist do things you would never do in a vehicle. I see cyclist do things you would never do as a pedestrian. Because of that interchanging of status they are a nuisance to pedestrian and vehicles. They seem to be lawless. 

• Like 3
Snao Cone

Me neither. I'm good at walking drunk, though - apparently good enough to have found my way back to the hotel that night in St. John's when I started to drink in the afternoon and neglected to eat any lunch or dinner to balance with the alcohol after only being in the city one day.

• Like 1
njosnavelin

I am hyper aware of my drunken state while riding. I will admit it is different thrill riding the bike drunk.

• Like 1
Snao Cone

I don't think I could stay up on a bike if I were really drunk.

• Like 3
SaturnOOO

Last time I rode my bike drunk I broke my elbow. 

• Like 5
Skycaptain

I didn't quite do that, but it cost me £30 for a fence panel

• Like 4
DebtheDemi

I hate when I get to a point that I notice I'm drunk. lol

• Like 4
On 2017-05-08 at 2:48 PM, SaturnOOO said:

Last time I rode my bike drunk I broke my elbow. 

There's a good cautionary tale to tell the kids! 

Elftober Country

The only time I have ever ridden a bike drunk was at Center Parcs. I believe that is excusable and quite possibly mandatory 8)

• Like 1

It seems like I manage to fall with my bike at least once in every 5 times I ride it (damn rain and damn tram lines!), there's no way I'm trying when drunk.

Never biked drunk. I did, however, drive home while slightly intoxicated. I thought I was sober enough until I got behind the wheel. Thankfully, I made it without issue. I felt terrible about it the next day and will never do it again. 

DebtheDemi
35 minutes ago, LVG said:

Never biked drunk. I did, however, drive home while slightly intoxicated. I thought I was sober enough until I got behind the wheel. Thankfully, I made it without issue. I felt terrible about it the next day and will never do it again. 

I've done it, too, probably more than. Felt partially bad, but was driving two blocks from a friend's house, and it was 3am in Delaware, so empty streets. I definitely won't do it again, though.