For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

WünderBâhr

*steps out of shadows to welcome people*

Greetings and Salutations! Many of teh :cake:

*shuffles back into shadows*

• Like 2

As a mature 30-something, I'm having microwave popcorn for dinner.

For the second time this week.

• Like 7

Welcome to everyone who's joined recently. :)

On 2/25/2017 at 1:34 PM, SaturnOOO said:

*Nods.* Everyone I've ever met on AVEN has a mind as pure and clean as the newly-fallen snow.

I'm going to pretend I didn't start laughing like a maniac when I read that. :P 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Snow Cone said:

As a mature 30-something, I'm having microwave popcorn for dinner.

For the second time this week.

If I had a microwave, I'd probably do that all the time. I LOVE popcorn, but stovetop is a lot of work! (I also don't have the counter space for a microwave, so... not happening.)

I can cook, but I'm often busy and find cooking a chore. So I've started ordering meals from a local small business that makes healthy meals, customizable to various diets, and ordering a bunch every 2 weeks or so. I still cook for myself, but it's less of a chore when I have other options, and when I have evening shifts it's nice to not have to worry about dinner earlier in the day and I consider it a treat! Classify this under the "ways to look like a mature 30-something with minimal effort" category of life?

I always wanted to get one of those services, but it seemed so expensive. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad though considering how much money I probably spend picking up random stuff to eat while I'm out. I went from loving cooking to dreading it in just a few years, so I could probably use some inspiration.

One reservation I have with food delivery services is they're contributing to the gig economy that removes a lot of employer responsibility. It can also cut the already razor thin profit margins of local businesses, if restaurants have to give the food courier service a cut off the profits. I'd rather pick up meals from restaurants within walking distance, ideally. That removes much of the convenience factor, as I can just as easily walk to the grocery store and buy something for less - even something pre-cooked in store, like a whole rotisserie chicken (not that I've done that, as I live alone...)

Delivery food is a convenience I can easily forgo. I have to know what's in my food anyway. I save my exposure to soy for the spread In-n-Out I have maybe once a month. I can eat all the salt I want but soy is in everything. :mad:

• Like 1

Anyone who has a freezer, do as I try. 

Cook a big dish of say six portions once a week. Freeze them. By cooking a different dish every week you can soon end up with twenty to thirty meals of have a dozen varieties which just need reheating. Because you cook them yourself you know what's in them. 

• Like 1

Hi all. I guess technically I'm not new because I first signed up six years ago, but I didn't post much. I've returned, and I'm in my thirties now, so here I am.

• Like 3

Welcome, @fup:cake:

Re: precooking, I don't cook much to begin with, and what I do cook isn't easily frozen and reheated. I don't do anything fancy, though, so preparing meals is limited work for me.

I don't enjoy cooking. It's too tedious and I'm lazy. I'd rather have someone do it for me. 

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Cook a big dish of say six portions once a week.

I've tried this briefly, but I quickly ran out of stamina for it, especially because another person's six servings usually ends up being my three tops :lol:

• Like 3
bluedragonwings

I would cook a lot more and more creatively if I didn't have to clean. A big chunk of the reason I got so overweight was my avoidance of dishes.

7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Cook a big dish of say six portions once a week. Freeze them. By cooking a different dish every week you can soon end up with twenty to thirty meals of have a dozen varieties which just need reheating. Because you cook them yourself you know what's in them. 

Now this is smart. Any recommendations for what freezes best, meal-wise? 

Re the food delivery I use, it's not from restaurants, but a small business most equivalent to catering (but not event-based). It's something new I'm trying and so far I like it, and the two guys who started the business seem reliable when they talk about and advertise good, whole-food ingredients. For restaurants, absolutely, I prefer ordering from or eating at independent businesses and ensuring they get all my money.

Most cooked food can be frozen. If you see it in a frozen food section then you can make it yourself.  It's more what you like that is the determining factor. 

bluedragonwings

You can also freeze prepared but uncooked. IE. Meat balls, lasagna, cut vegetables (to a point). I try an portion out things and then cook them later.

8 hours ago, SummerBee said:

Now this is smart. Any recommendations for what freezes best, meal-wise? 

Re the food delivery I use, it's not from restaurants, but a small business most equivalent to catering (but not event-based). It's something new I'm trying and so far I like it, and the two guys who started the business seem reliable when they talk about and advertise good, whole-food ingredients. For restaurants, absolutely, I prefer ordering from or eating at independent businesses and ensuring they get all my money.

Most veggies and fruits freeze well. This is good to do, so you won't throw away food.

I found that most pasta dishes freeze well in terms of meals.

Whenever I have my own place, I love to cook. I find it to be a good stress reliever. I don't mind washing the dishes, and I normally do it as I'm cooking. That way there's not big pile up.

Soups and chili freeze well.  I've seen meal plans were you cook one big meal and use the leftovers in different ways throughout the week.  I've never done it but it's got to save on time a little bit.  

Thanks for the tips! I'd like to believe I'm not as incompetent as I make myself sound, rather I haven't put the time or effort into meal planning or even cooking planning and always just made sure I had enough variety of groceries that I could throw things together. Clearly I have some practice to do! May not ever consider cooking a hobby, but if I can make it less of a chore or something to stress about, I'll be happy enough.

• Like 1
Dr. Frylock
On 3/2/2017 at 9:36 PM, bluedragonwings said:

I would cook a lot more and more creatively if I didn't have to clean. A big chunk of the reason I got so overweight was my avoidance of dishes.

For me it's money. I enjoy eating healthy, but I don't have enough money to buy the ingredients I want with the current job I'm working. I do what I can with my current budget, though.

Oh, and hello all. I turned 30 this past November. :blush:

Hey Frylock :cake:

Oftentimes a tight budget does limit healthy food options. It's cheaper to buy mass produced food, ie heavily processed for a longer shelf life. That's how in many parts of the developed world, people in poverty have higher levels of obesity. Food made available to those with limited resources to access it on their own is heavily processed. Food deserts are a hugely contributing factor, as well as a lack of time to cook. There may even be a lack of an oven, depending on the housing situation. It's a complicated situation. I'm very grateful for what I have that enables me to eat (somewhat) healthy.

Upon the food discussion:

I'm a quirky minimalistic dishwashing avoiding cheapskate and bachelor stereotype.

• I assume running my by now at least 40 year old deep freeze would be at least 5Euro/month in power. Further on I don't have the sealable containers bags and stuff to store precooked portions. Also reheating them must take more energy than starting fresh and who knows what logistics disaster I might be heading for?
  • While I know premade frozen meals from a job I had, I am just not eager to handle all the related trash here at home. Or to be awake during the daytime when the drivers show up.
  • Frowning at my love handles, I also wonder if an abundance of food at hand would have benefits for me. - I am kind of a big fan of "the stock taking diet", that gives freedom to eat what you like, assuming you 'd spot it at home. Means: I am keeping a basic stock of noodles &/ rice and vitamin tabs but everything else is bought to run out of it earlier.
  • I'll never use a delivery service for warm food. - I'm sure their yokel will show up as late as possible with the goods at best lukewarm charging me 2 Euro for that crappy service. - Its not easy to spot the door with a bell on it where I am living which means 8+x minutes of extra delay. + I am not eager to deal with the additional trash.
  • To eat fresh, I hit my trusted nice price fastfood places with my ultra low cost vehicle eat there and rehydrate cheaply elsewhere. - That way I am keeping my state running more sales tax for food eaten there but take away would mean just more revenue for the maker not lower price for me.
  • (work-)daily shopping is possible and I do it. Supermarkets have self service bakeries around here.
  • Serious cooking just isn't my cup of tea. - Tons of dishes, annoying logistics to get ingredients and to consume leftovers in a timely fashion. Hell, I even hate the thought of opening a bottle of wine!
  • Like 1

I'm pretty close to the bachelor stereotype too. I also prefer to order takeout rather than delivery, to get me out of the house and walking just a bit. It depends on weather conditions and, of course, my ability to walk. I'm expecting to be back to full walking ability by the time the snow and ice melt.

Best of luck with recovery!

Curiosity: What are the benefits of takeout meals compared to sitting down and messing up their table?

Not being stared at by other patrons (namely creepy men or annoying children). Eating while watching tv or something. Having a beer that isn't marked up in price. Not having to flag a server down to ask for the bill and gor the remaining portion to be packaged up. 

• Like 3

Thanks! :redface: Yes, I admit to look around while munching my stuff. - The places I am frequenting expect or accept cash with the order and portions match my appetite. - Anyhow: Thanks again for enlightening.

Looking around is fine; staring at a particular person is questionable. :P

2 hours ago, Snow Cone said:

Not being stared at by other patrons (namely creepy men or annoying children). Eating while watching tv or something. Having a beer that isn't marked up in price. Not having to flag a server down to ask for the bill and gor the remaining portion to be packaged up. 

Not to mention lack of couches. How are you supposed to eat on the couch if the restaurant refuses to make one available to you?

Actually the last time I went to an actual sit down restaurant alone to have dinner and a beer this guy ended up paying for my whole meal. Like I got up to pay and the waitress pointed out some dude who had already paid for me. It was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. A drink or can understand... But an entire meal?

• Like 1

One of the restaurants I sometimes order takeout from does have couches, but it's where I see the creepier men. They mostly creep on the servers, though, as they're all young and attractive.

I would be creeped out if a random person paid for my meal. I would probably be offended, really.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if offended is the word, but I'm not going to lie I was a bit miffed. A meal PLUS beer (and I remember I got one of the 500 mL Fin du Mondes with requisite obscene restaurant markup) is kinda intense, so it felt a bit manipulative. Like, you didn't give me a choice here, and you're probably counting on me feeling guilty enough to come talk to you afterwards. 

I was in a hurry on my way to a concert so I just nodded at him and walked out. Didn't feel too guilty about it, but it was awkward.

• Like 2