For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

bluedragonwings
21 hours ago, Snow Cone said:

Speaking of, @bluedragonwings get off my lawn, kid!!!!

(Joking; I think I'm a few years younger than you :P)

Currently 36.

bluedragonwings

No I must talk about age. It is the only way I can come to terms with the fact I am old.

• Like 1

Then I am a few years younger than you. 8) I'm not bragging about being young; I'm just happy with myself for being right.

• Like 1

Granny moments pretty much define me these days, but I had a pretty strong one last night when I went to my first concert in a while. I used to be pretty heavily involved in a certain music community; had my own radio show and everything. These days that music is still important to me, but I've got a lot of other stuff going on in my life, and I've pretty much dropped off the face of the sub-culture. Add to that since the heyday of my involvement I've moved to a city with a very different music scene... I suppose I've become out of touch. Last night I felt like one of those grizzly old men at a prog concert. "I've been listening to this since you shits were a twinkle in your mum's eye. Kids these days have no respect. They don't get the music; since when do people act like this at shows. I'm missing the guitar solo you little assholes..."

etc., etc. I haven't felt so out of touch in a long while.

• Like 5
bluedragonwings

Luckily for me I have never been "in-touch" so I am no more out of touch then I have ever been.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2017 at 5:45 PM, SaturnOOO said:

Granny moments pretty much define me these days, but I had a pretty strong one last night when I went to my first concert in a while. I used to be pretty heavily involved in a certain music community; had my own radio show and everything. These days that music is still important to me, but I've got a lot of other stuff going on in my life, and I've pretty much dropped off the face of the sub-culture. Add to that since the heyday of my involvement I've moved to a city with a very different music scene... I suppose I've become out of touch. Last night I felt like one of those grizzly old men at a prog concert. "I've been listening to this since you shits were a twinkle in your mum's eye. Kids these days have no respect. They don't get the music; since when do people act like this at shows. I'm missing the guitar solo you little assholes..."

etc., etc. I haven't felt so out of touch in a long while.

I have those moments more than I like to admit. To the point when I catch myself saying or thinking out loud, I'll poke fun of myself. I'll cross my legs standing, and pretend that I'm sitting on a rocking chair with my arms on the armrests, in my imaginary porch swaying back and forth"...when I was young, we had these paper things called books..." etc. normally gets a few laughs from people :redface:

• Like 1

I work with people who are mostly 10-30 years older than me, so I don't get as many granny moments. It's when I have things in common with them that I feel my aging speed up.

I'm not a fan of musicals in general, so I have no inclination to check it out.

• Like 2

I don't like musicals and think the music in Hamilton is possibly more cheesy than most other examples of the genre. I also don't see how casting black people as white slave owners and ignoring the fact that in real life they, indeed, owned slaves is some kind of statement in favor of diversity. 

This article is worth a read IMO: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/you-should-be-terrified-that-people-who-like-hamilton-run-our-country

• Like 2

One of the very few musicals I like is Jesus Christ Superstar, but only the 1973 film, because it's so cheesy but in such good ways. Obviously mixed race casting was intentional for that as well (but naturally keep Jesus as white as in Renaissance paintings...and slightly cross-eyed, but that's a separate issue).

bluedragonwings

Best Musical ever is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

• Like 1

Musicals aren't my go-to form of entertainment, but I do enjoy some of them. It mostly depends on how I like the music, but the story is obviously important too. My favorite musical is Wicked. For me the music is okay, but the story is awesome. It's the opposite for Chicago. The story is meh and the main character is a selfish bitch, but the music is great. As for Hamilton, I'll see it eventually, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it. Somehow watching our Fore Fathers sing explicit gangsta-style rap songs just seems a little out there for me. 

• Like 1
On 2017-01-25 at 4:51 PM, Still said:

Interesting article indeed! At least as someone who has never seen the play reading commentary by someone who...has seemingly never seen the play?

But damn those bizarre, hyperbolic, inaccurate click-bait titles! <_<

Given the speed things are changing at nowadays, I feel like I have every darn right to pull off Grampa speeches as I please. I'm 34, so.

• Like 4
bluedragonwings

As long as you use your Grampa speeches for the good of humanity.

2 hours ago, Snow Cone said:

I am usually repelled by clickbait titles.

Yeah, I was nearly put off from reading this one because of the title. Went into it with a bad attitude, haha. Was pleasantly surprised in general, but still pretty darn salty about the "you should be terrified" nonsense :P

1 hour ago, Tanwen said:

Still want to see 'Phantom' live...and an opera - except Wagner, will go to any opera except anything by Wagner. :( 

I had this obsession with Phantom when I was around 7. I had both London and New York versions on cassette tape and listened to nothing else for at least a year and a half. I got to know the little quirks of each one, so I'd just switch out which production I'd listen to to suit my mood :P I also had the picturebook of images from the London production which was one of my prized possessions. I think my friends thought I was pretty lame during that time because I'd make them listen to it every time they were over and then try to get them excited by every little detail like I was... I went back to it as an adult and found the story pretty creepy, tbh, but I still have a soft spot for the music!

43 minutes ago, bluedragonwings said:

As long as you use your Grampa speeches for the good of humanity.

'Get off my lawn' is an effort to protect the environment! It's your little daily actions, folks.

• Like 1

I remember when giant cordless landline phones with comically sized antennae came around. :lol:

• Like 2

I remember being amused by the antenna. Wore off by the time I got my second cell phone. An LG flip phone with a blue screen when most everyone else had green.