For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Ged of Earthsea

I'm glad not everyone got freaked out by that clock. I don't remember that film but the Gulf war thing, yes.

This is turning into a reminiscing thread :blush: ... are there any current issues people want to discuss?

Yeah. We're like 30 going on 65 here. The movie was about the predictions of Nostradamus. A lot of nonsense I guess but when you're about 10 it's pretty freaky.

yes, dear old Michael Jackson... I was thinking of baking a memorial cake for his passing this year, chocolate with white coconut frosting. Is that disrespectful? I have a quirky sense of humour :unsure:

I guess MJ is one of those 'big' figures for people from late-twenties to mid-thirties. Actually, everyone from about 25 upwards I guess because he was a child star as well. As a kid, I thought you had to be called Michael to be larger-than-life famous: Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Mike Powell, Tyson, later Schumacher, Michael J. Fox. The list just went on. And I wasn't a Michael, so my fate was pretty much decided.

• Like 1
FrozenCherry

and a forest for me to play with.

I love forest :wub: I was wanted to bought one where I spent my summers but someone else did :( ... Some day....

so I was at the mall, buying crap....some young stud about 19 or 20 came up to me and started to chat me up. I politely told them off and continued with my shopping. Then, two same age girls walked by, stalled around me a bit and whispered "she's not hot or anything, I don't see the big deal." I was quite surprised and it turned out, they were eyeing the guys and somehow I got tangled in the teenage situation. I turned around, smiled, and said "hey ladies, don't worry, I am no competition, I am not as young as I look, going on my 30's soon." They giggled and took off. I laughed at myself and thought wow, seriously?

• Like 2
BaronTheCat

Where I live, kids under 19 get cheaper bus tickets. I look younger than my years, so they sometimes mistake me for a kid >19. But if you get caught lying about your age, you'll get a fine, so I'm always honest about it. Today I told the bus driver "I'm not a kid; I'm just short". And he answered: "Yeah, it's difficult to tell how old people are when they're going on 20."

Where I live, kids under 19 get cheaper bus tickets. I look younger than my years, so they sometimes mistake me for a kid >19. But if you get caught lying about your age, you'll get a fine, so I'm always honest about it. Today I told the bus driver "I'm not a kid; I'm just short". And he answered: "Yeah, it's difficult to tell how old people are when they're going on 20."

hehehehe, i so get ya. we should be flattered?

On my 21st birthday (many, many years ago), I was refused a drink in a pub because I didn't look 18! I was celebrating with friends from college and the tutor put the barman right...but still.

*The age of majority was 21 until 1st Jan the year I was 21! Rotten Harold Wilson, never forgave him for that one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: *

I still remember the decimilisation day..gone from thruppence and a thruppeny bit to pennies..i miss thus thruppenny bits

BaronTheCat

I remember a blogger who wrote that he was miserable in his 20's, and that everything got better as he grew older.

I don't know if anyone else here has ever felt this way, but there are days where I feel 34 going on 364! It's just that sometimes I feel my spirit/soul/personality feels a hell of a lot older than I am physically.

I do. I was one of those who never looked or felt my age, always passed for younger. When I hit 34 I had a lot of health challenges that year. Thankfully I am doing better now, but I think my age is finally showing, outwardly. Inwardly, I feel much older, spiritually speaking.

I don't know if anyone else here has ever felt this way, but there are days where I feel 34 going on 364! It's just that sometimes I feel my spirit/soul/personality feels a hell of a lot older than I am physically.

So who here remembers the Doomsday Clock? Were you scared? I was terrified.

What exactly is the Doomsday Clock?

Ditto! hahaha...My entire life I've felt older than my actual age :blink: :lol:

My boss got a shock recently because I got my 15 years long service award. He thought I was in my mid-late 20s. I don't know what I think about that. Kind of reminds me how worthless my 20s were being mentally ill and just living one day at a time till I woke up and was in my 30s. Time passes quickly and unnoticed when your life is stagnant. I've lived more in the past year than the previous decade. Life is exciting now but I do feel like rip van winkle (if that's the dude who slept for years).

I COMPLETELY feel you!!!

You know what? You are amazing...! hahaha :lol: ;) :P :cake: :cake: :cake:

My boss got a shock recently because I got my 15 years long service award. He thought I was in my mid-late 20s. I don't know what I think about that. Kind of reminds me how worthless my 20s were being mentally ill and just living one day at a time till I woke up and was in my 30s. Time passes quickly and unnoticed when your life is stagnant. I've lived more in the past year than the previous decade. Life is exciting now but I do feel like rip van winkle (if that's the dude who slept for years).

I COMPLETELY feel you!!!

You know what? You are amazing...! hahaha :lol: ;) :P :cake: :cake: :cake:

its true, i am actually looking forward to getting older but not the physical part......my life is getting better one year at a time......now i am going on 27......so much better then 4 years ago.......cant wait

I really can't believe how quickly things start changing when you get your mental health back. I found some stuff last night when I was sorting through a junk box. It was mad scribbling from five years ago. I had a read and I couldn't even understand it, it was some insane stuff about trying to determine if I'd accidentally made a vow of celibacy to God. I'm so glad those days are over! I'm still a cautious, serious sort of person but I've learned a fantastic word now that gets me through most things: "whatever!" :lol:

;)

Ged of Earthsea

So who else got to 30 and discovered their life was totally on the wrong track? In the early part of your life your parents and other adults have a big influence on the choices you make. Has anyone else come to a point now where you know you have a lot of work to do to make your life what you prefer it to be? If so, how do you feel about that?

I'm almost there. Its funny. I look back and wonder what happened with the last 10 years, 8 of which were pretty much in my own hands. Actually, I know what I did with the first few. I was flushing out a few experiences I didn't like and finding myself. But I really wish I had been more aggressive about it. Small example: there was never much sport-like activity either in my family or my school and I was too stressed in university to get into it. So, it only began later and I started to enjoy things and surprise-surprise, I wasn't even that bad (which was always how I felt in school). But I do feel the ageing aspect now. It's not as easy to push your body or make it do all the things you would like to. I wish I had tried much harder to discover my limits between 22 and 27. I think that's the peak physical time.

I guess I also never had strong ideas about what I wanted to do with my life. University and school were easy because I got pushed along by the opinions of people around me. I definitely am doing what I enjoy and am passionate about and I have been doing that for the past few years. I don't have a professional regret yet, but I see that once again I could have been more opportunistic and strategic in how I followed my interests.

The one main feeling that is finally starting to hit me is that this is the time when people make serious judgements about you. When I was in university, I just wanted to survive. Later, I was finding myself and I started doing things I liked and even if I was terrible, I had some faith in myself and always though 'there is time' and 'you're still young.' I think that's about to change now. There is still time and I am still (relative to a large part of the population) young. But suddenly, I am also at that time when a lot of people arrive on the scene. When the entepreneurs, sports people, artists and performer, businessmen, scientists, make a splash and a bang. I will be applying for jobs soon and while preparing some paperwork, it struck me that 'What have you done with your life' is a question that might be thrown at me.

I mean all of this in a reflective way and hope it doesn't sound depressing. Just thinking aloud.

So who else got to 30 and discovered their life was totally on the wrong track? In the early part of your life your parents and other adults have a big influence on the choices you make. Has anyone else come to a point now where you know you have a lot of work to do to make your life what you prefer it to be? If so, how do you feel about that?

When I was 30 I quit my job, sold all my things and joined the Peace Corps. Today, at 35, I work at a job that pays a lot less but does a lot more good to the world. Maybe it would have been better if I had swapped those two, of course, because when I was a kid I needed less money. I spend a lot more time worring about what will happen to me if my 401k crashes or my social security doesn't come through.

On reflection, I think that my leaving and roaming had more to do with running away. I have never stayed in a place longer then a few years, and a lot of people talk about how I was so adventerous, but I cringe inside because rather then being brave I was just being a coward.

I find, lately, that stability is a mixed blessing. I make a good living, but I don't much enjoy what I do. I own a home, which isn't perfect for me, but it works. It's just become easier to hold onto what I have, than risk losing it to try to find something better. And yet a few years ago, when things were less stable, I don't think I worried about change so much.

• Like 1

I find, lately, that stability is a mixed blessing. I make a good living, but I don't much enjoy what I do. I own a home, which isn't perfect for me, but it works. It's just become easier to hold onto what I have, than risk losing it to try to find something better. And yet a few years ago, when things were less stable, I don't think I worried about change so much.

then what is it you worry about these days if its not money? Are your friends all married? Do you have higher goals or unfulfilled desires?

then what is it you worry about these days if its not money? Are your friends all married? Do you have higher goals or unfulfilled desires?

I worry that this is all there is.

I am working toward making friends, I have been working for awhile at finding a new job, but I do not seem to get there. The things I want in life seem to be out of my reach.

I worry that this is all there is.

I am working toward making friends, I have been working for awhile at finding a new job, but I do not seem to get there. The things I want in life seem to be out of my reach.

Making friends is SO hard. When I was 24, I had a lot of friends. After I got back from my travels, a lot of them had moved away, lost touch, and I was just a different person. Today, I really only have one friend, plus a few that live out of town that I never talk to. and all the people in my peer groups seem to already have friends, contacts, and roots and are not willing to make the type of close bonds that I need right now. It's really hard, and super lonely.

I have always been a little "off", I have a hard time understanding how other people feel. People say to me all the time "can't you see that he was upset?" or I will think that people are mad at me when they are not. Talking and being with people is so hard for me, it's easier not to do it. I never understand why people want to talk to me on airflights, I always wear headphones, even without music, because I am afraid of getting locked into a long impossible conversation that I can't end. Sometimes I pretend that I am deaf or don't speak English.

to you and piper........why is that friends are hard to come by for you guys? I heard from quite a few 30 something friends that once you get to a certain age, friends fades away, disappear into their caves...or lives. I still have a huge circle of friends as many of them are younger than me....older ones are too busy or too coupled up to hang out. Btw, I do think what you want is within reach, its never too late.