For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

Jellied eels :wub:

• Like 1

Was going to say I like jellied eels too, but suddenly not sure if I've actually eaten that. Maybe it was jellyfish instead? (What happens when you're at a group dinner and don't do any of the ordering, and just eat what people tell you is safe for you, i.e. no meat but all the seafood.)

TheGrumpyBear

Pineapple on pizza is an abomination. :P Now, basil pesto mixed into pureed avocado as a sauce, lengh cut black olives, spinach, chicken and deer sausage, minced artichoke heart and sun dried tomatoes as toppings, with blue, romano, and shredded provologne and fresh mozzerella... that is about the ultimate pizza. Got to have a decent crust, too. None of that thin, crispy garbage.

As far as oysters...throw them on a rosemary and basil wheat cracker, with some mozz and parm melted on top and bam! Wonderful snack or side dish. :) 

• Like 1

You lost me at basil. I hate basil, makes me physically sick. So get rid of that, the avocado and spinach. The rest can stay :P

I love pineapple on its own, but don't like it on pizza.

I love seafood, but can't stomach oysters. I've tried them several ways but they all tasted like stagnant sea water. 

My favorite sushi is unagi, which is eel. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, sea-lemon said:

Pineapple is my favourite pizza topping! :D

Of course, but then it means more pizza for me :twisted:

I feel this way about the black jelly beans :D

13 hours ago, Mauru said:

Never met anyone who would hate pineapple on pizza.  Anchovies on the other hand...

It's a sore topic on AVEN and one that's always sure to get several impassioned responses on both sides :P 

8 hours ago, sea-lemon said:

Not gonna lie, that looks AMAZING! Although I don't actually know what ranch dressing is, so actually eating it might be a very different matter :P

Ranch dressing is the devil's condiment. 

• Like 1
njosnavelin

I got to speak with my supervisor about the potential new hire, from Turkey, I recommended. The grinding out of the process was toiling on me. It put doubt in my head she was not going to be hired and that my supervisor might be confused on my prospective hire. My company respects and values my thoughts. I don't use my voice or "power" often but please listen to me; to their credit they have responded.  Furthermore, for me to step out and making a recommendation is a huge step I don't do for anyone for fear of my own reputation. However there might have been a language barrier during her interview she is a unique prospect for us as a company; I felt necessary to step in and make sure everything was conveyed adequately to why I made this recommendation.

I am relieved to hear from my supervisor the company is being diligent in their research to make sure we are being lawful toward her to hire. The company will be happy to sponsor her through the visa process. At this point it is 90% we will take her in. 

This discussion was exactly what I needed. I expressed what my thoughts and concerns are. My supervisor expressed the exact same concerns and thoughts I have.

My head feels free. My heart exploded in relief.

• Like 4

I was going to get a bacon avocado burger at The Greene Turtle, but I ate already so wings lol.

• Like 1
On 3/20/2017 at 10:55 PM, njosnavelin said:

I got to speak with my supervisor about the potential new hire, from Turkey, I recommended. The grinding out of the process was toiling on me. It put doubt in my head she was not going to be hired and that my supervisor might be confused on my prospective hire. My company respects and values my thoughts. I don't use my voice or "power" often but please listen to me; to their credit they have responded.  Furthermore, for me to step out and making a recommendation is a huge step I don't do for anyone for fear of my own reputation. However there might have been a language barrier during her interview she is a unique prospect for us as a company; I felt necessary to step in and make sure everything was conveyed adequately to why I made this recommendation.

I am relieved to hear from my supervisor the company is being diligent in their research to make sure we are being lawful toward her to hire. The company will be happy to sponsor her through the visa process. At this point it is 90% we will take her in. 

This discussion was exactly what I needed. I expressed what my thoughts and concerns are. My supervisor expressed the exact same concerns and thoughts I have.

My head feels free. My heart exploded in relief.

That's awesome! Good for you.

• Like 1
TheGrumpyBear
On 3/22/2017 at 7:04 PM, DebtheDemi said:

I was going to get a bacon avocado burger at The Greene Turtle, but I ate already so wings lol.

Bacon, Avocado, Cream Cheese and the patty itself coated with blackened seasoning. It's about the ultimate burger. Sweet potato fried on the side and you have a spectacular meal.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of bleu cheese and caramelized red onions on my burger. I know not everyone has the talent for eating quantities of bleu cheese. :P 

• Like 1

Large quantities of it, no, but a little bit? Yum! Though I do tend to prefer the milder blues. 

Great dip: cream cheese, a simple blue like Danish Rosenborg or something, and a pear spread (if you can't find that, a pear puree should work too). 

njosnavelin

Thank you DebtheDemi. It was a lot of worry on my mind.

My last update on this. My supervisor did email her a job position offer.  My Turkish friend is pretty excited on getting the offer. It is the beginning of her journey to staying in the United State. I am not exactly sure how the remaining details are going to work out with the visa. That really isn’t for me to be involved with. At this point everything needs to be discussed with my supervisor and my friend’s lawyer to finalize the details. I am done; I am out. I have rarely spoken with my Turkish friend since the job offer has been announced. I am okay with that. My job / project is done.

• Like 4
njosnavelin

When you are an adult riding a bike with your kid. Your kid has a helmet on, but as the adult you don't. You are essentially enforcing to the kid when they are an adult they can make stupid choices. 

Being a parent is being an example.

• Like 4

Adults who don't wear bike helmets in general piss me off. I wear a seatbelt and obey the rules of the road. I rarely see cyclists wearing helmets and at least stopping at stop signs. 

I might benefit from wearing protective gear when walking :lol:

• Like 1

I should probably look into getting a couple of those reflective bands to put around my wrists or ankles. Don't want to cause traffic jam because I got run over :D

I once saw a cyclist without a helmet hit a parked car. Then he hit the car again with his fist and yelled, "Respect the road!"

• Like 2
1 hour ago, borkfork said:

Adults who don't wear bike helmets in general piss me off. I wear a seatbelt and obey the rules of the road. I rarely see cyclists wearing helmets and at least stopping at stop signs. 

Come to Nepal one day and see how the traffic rules work here. Even while crossing a one way street, one has to turn left and right before moving forward. The endless traffic jams, esp. during office hours, where every driver/rider tries to move forward irrespective of the lane while honking constantly, makes you go crazy.

• Like 1

Here wearing a helmet is the law no matter your age. Not that everyone does it. I do, and ultimately I'm afraid of head injuries, so it'll probably stay that way. Though I admit I didn't used to when I lived elsewhere and I kind of miss the feeling of the wind in my hair. And I'm not sold on the idea that helmets should be mandatory, because in places where cycling is a (or the) major mode transportation helmets are less common and cycling is generally considered safe, likely due to infrastructure and critical mass.

Having experienced head butting a kerbstone, which didn't do me any favours, I'm all for helmets, which I why I wear one. Concussion is an overrated pastime. 

21 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Having experienced head butting a kerbstone, which didn't do me any favours, I'm all for helmets, which I why I wear one. Concussion is an overrated pastime. 

OUCH. That doesn't sound all too pleasant... hope it didn't do too much harm!

I haven't been on a bike in aaaaaages :( don't even own one atm.

• Like 1
On 31/03/2017 at 1:15 PM, njosnavelin said:

When you are an adult riding a bike with your kid. Your kid has a helmet on, but as the adult you don't. You are essentially enforcing to the kid when they are an adult they can make stupid choices. 

I've noticed this too :)

I admit, I don't wear a helmet when I ride my bike. I also don't ride on the street, only on bike trails where the odds of getting hit by a car are small. If I were riding in the city, I'd most certainly wear one.  

CrownFireDaylily

Hmm...cheese and bicycle safety--sounds like I've found the 30-somethings haha! :) 

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, CrownFireDaylily said:

Hmm...cheese and bicycle safety--sounds like I've found the 30-somethings haha! :) 

Or possibly France :P Welcome CrownFire :cake:

• Like 5
Pi_the_infinite
3 hours ago, borkfork said:

Do we have an official anthem? I vote for this song if we don't.

'Cuz, y'know, that is all I want to do....

• Like 2

I requested this song last Wednesday at trivia. My goal is to someday play it while I'm actually riding my bike. 

• Like 3