Do you hate to be called babe/ sugar plum what ever?

FrozenCherry

Vampyremage

I don't mind when a friend uses an affectionate term with me but it makes me slightly uncomfortable when a stranger or casual acquaintance does it. Usually I don't let it bother me too much, however, because I know that's just how some people are and they usually don't mean anything by it. There are enough legitimate reasons to be irritated with people that I don't need to add counter-productive ones to the list.

My experience:

1) The one person that has ever reserved terms like these for me specifically would be my mom. Whatever; she's allowed to do it.

2) There are some people out there (usually females) who refer to EVERYONE (usually males, but sometimes both) using terms like these. To them, they carry no sort of romantic connotation whatsoever; it's just part of their standard lexicon, kinda like guys referring to each other as "bro" or whatever when they're obviously not brothers. I've interacted with several of these people before and it was kinda "o_O" at first, but once I figured out what they were like, I got used to it. >_>

Based on that, I don't think that I would hate it, but I've never really had them directed to me in a romantic connotation before, so it's hard to say for certain.

never odd or even

i despise the feminine terms of endearment like sweetheart, honey, and ANY variation of babe. yuk yuk yuk. my first boyfriend (utter sweetheart :lol:) used to call me babe and i was too shy to tell him cause i didnt want to hurt him and he is the only exception i have ever made and because it was the first (and i do admit that at first i was kinda flattered). the only other exception i can think of is that me and my best friend sometimes say 'dear' but thats about it. in general, i despise it....

It depends on the name, I think, for me. The vast majority of typical pet/sappy-names don't fly with me. Baby, honey, sweetie, dear, etc... yeah, no thanks. Among other reasons, they always just sound... cheesy, fake, and forced to me.

On the other hand, it always makes me smile when I'm in a relationship and my partner lovingly/caringly says just "Hey, you". So maybe I'm just weird. :)

For some bizarre reason it's quite normal for older women - particularly authority figures - to call you "chicken" around here. I really do loathe that one. My mother called me that when I was five and she's the only one who's allowed to still do that.

Anyway, I don't believe in using terms of endearment unless you mean it. When I call my best buddy "dear", it's because I literally mean it.

SASE Icecream man

Not really comman here (Windy City 'burbs, U.S.) but I get sweetie all the time from teachers and sometimes my mom, although I don't notice it much from her. My nickname's bananna...but I doubt that's an enderment. My mom calls me some other things, and I don't mind. Other than that, no one really calls anyone anything here. I think I'm the only one the teachers even use those names for. :huh: Oh, and my grandpa calls me "little one" whitch is weird because I'm taller than grandma and she doesn't get called, "little one." Overall, it doesn't bother me much unless it would be used as an insult or by a person I barely know.

If it is from one particular friend, I do not mind at all! I think it's rather nice all the cute little names he calls me. They make me smile and blush every time. I really like it! :) It makes me giggle how many cute names he has in his arsenal! Makes me feel loved, actually.

Other people, ehhh not so much. Depends on the person but mostly no.

SolitaryGrimAngel

The only person who I can stand calling me that is my mum.

martianJusticiar

While I don't generally show a reaction, I generally don't like pet names and such. I always get the sense that the person using them to refer to me is speaking to or at somebody else who they equate with me but is a completely different person, because such terms don't make much sense when applied to me.

giantpapercranes

For me, it all depends on whether or not it's meant sincerely. I've no problem with it for the most part, but some people just sound ridiculously condescending when they use pet names.

Archived