Skins

carried in bags

carried in bags

In the UK we have a teen drama called skins, it's about a group of headonistic teenagers at college who take drugs,have sex, have disfunctianl families and mental health issues. Series 5 (ithink it is) is in full swing and there is a character called Frankie. (I only started to watch this series because i liked the look of her in the trailer.) Each week we get a different story from on of the guys, but in the first week we saw Frankie. She's an androgynous outsider who has had a hard time in the past, everyone assumes she's lesbian simply because of how she dresses. We've not seen much of her since the first week, but she has never confirmed her sexuality. But in last nights episode her friend asked her what her "deal" was and if she like girls or boys, she never gave an answer.

I think we could have the UKs first ace character. Skins is just about the only show that will dare to include such issue. It's dealt with gay stories in the past, where else can it go and be new? I have confidence it'll deal with it all sensitivly and yet fun too. Also Frankie is a lovely person and will be a positive asexual rolemodel. I really hope she is! :wub: :wub: :wub:

24A79F6D-7CE3-4005-9DB7-C433687C4DB0_extra.jpg

frankie-skins-web2.jpg

tumblr_lf32daRETn1qzmjfxo1_500.png

Just starting series 4. I decided to give Skins a go on Netflix and I got immediately addicted. I am very interested in watching series 5 now.. I suppose I'll have to be patient. Boo.

But I agree. If any show is going to introduce an asexual character, it would definitely be Skins. They had Maxxie's issues, then Emily/Naomi, so, indeed. Where else can they go? Plus, it'll be nice to have a character on there who isn't shagging someone every two seconds.

. . .but there are sounds

I'm not ready to say she isn't just socially awkward, but she is positively awesome!

Bountiful Harvest

Skins never really appealed to me, too much wanton sex; drugs and rock n roll making my teen years look like Camping with the Osmonds :P Might start watching now that I might have a vested interest in it ;)

Skins never really appealed to me, too much wanton sex; drugs and rock n roll making my teen years look like Camping with the Osmonds :P Might start watching now that I might have a vested interest in it ;)

Ha. My boyfriend was watching it with me and was like, "First of all.. Is pot legal over there because they smoke a LOT of it and they smoke it everywhere. Secondly, do they really get hammered drunk after school on a daily basis? And does every character have to be a slut?" I really love the show but I kept getting pissy because I would connect with a character (Cassie) and then they'd go off and screw up my love for them (Effy).

My first thought when watching it was how it's actually a fairly unrealistic portrayal of teenage life. Teenage life isn't that gritty or exotic. Teenagers can't get hold of drugs that easily, not unless they also happen to be well-off.

Television really neglects the mundanity of much of the teenage experience.

It would be nice to see a teenage drama that is unflinching about how they mess up sometimes but also unflattering and unglamourised and doesn't show teenagers as the spokespeople of cool. So far from what I've seen Skins fails on that score (although it's pretty tongue-in-cheek in how it depicts adults sometimes).

But... yeah... Frankie is awesome. Too soon to say if she's asexual yet, though. So far all we know is that we don't know what her sexuality is.

opal_lagoon

I think we could have the UKs first ace character. Skins is just about the only show that will dare to include such issue. It's dealt with gay stories in the past, where else can it go and be new? I have confidence it'll deal with it all sensitivly and yet fun too. Also Frankie is a lovely person and will be a positive asexual rolemodel. I really hope she is! :wub: :wub: :wub:

My thoughts exactly carried, I think she's going to be revealed to be Ace.

I know from another website I regularly read that she's not going to be Gay/Bi and the last episode seemed to hint that she is uncomfortable around overt sexual behaviour.

My first thought when watching it was how it's actually a fairly unrealistic portrayal of teenage life. Teenage life isn't that gritty or exotic. Teenagers can't get hold of drugs that easily, not unless they also happen to be well-off.

It would be nice to see a teenage drama that is unflinching about how they mess up sometimes but also unflattering and unglamourised and doesn't show teenagers as the spokespeople of cool. So far from what I've seen Skins fails on that score (although it's pretty tongue-in-cheek in how it depicts adults sometimes).

But... yeah... Frankie is awesome. Too soon to say if she's asexual yet, though. So far all we know is that we don't know what her sexuality is.

The only problem with mundane reality is that it's not that entertaining and very few people are likely to tune in. So I think that's why (IMHO) they make it over-the-top but at the same time including real life issues into the exaggerated drama. It has the essence of truth wrapped up into a larger than life drama.

*check avvie*

Big fan. I wish I could have been as cool as her in hs.

Which, is rather 'hilarious'...since she was an outcast in Oxford.

But *I* think she's cool.

Silent_Silver

Part of me would really like to agree with you that this is a completely unrealistic portrayal of teenage life, and I'm sure in a lot of places it is, but I lived in Bristol (where this series is set) between the ages of 14 - 17. While I admit they have left out the mundane experiences of teenage life (portraying that wouldn't make a very exciting series) and it's taken experiences to the extremes.

But the thing is, it was exceedingly easy to get hold of drugs. You could almost always find someone willing to sell you something on College Green. I was mates with dealers, and a friends dad worked in a drug pub. My mates who did drugs were definitely not 'well-off', several had been pretty much abandoned by their parents.

At school we had a police officer permanently on site. Students attacked teachers, drugs were sold, weapons were sold, alcohol was consumed, there was fighting and thieving, all in all it was not a pleasant place to be.

Anywho, I love Skins! And Frankie is awesome!

I know I was lucky at school- the most we had on the playground were tictacs. I wouldn't have known where to get hold of drugs if I'd wanted them. I've only known one drug user- someone at my upper school was on cannabis, I remember, but that's all I knew about at that age.

Frankie's 'into people'

just watched the bit where she said this and i was so so wanting her to say "I'm ace" . but no :( Still i quite like the ambiguity but i guess they'll [robably make it explicit soon enough.

Also thinking it is less likely she is now but it is still possible.

Ace or nowt she is still amazingly cool tho <3

-x-

She could still be asexual, though. When asked if she was a lesbian, she said "no"...and when asked if she was bi, she said that she's "not anything." If we take that to mean that she doesn't sexually feel anything (hence asexual), she could STILL be attracted to people romantically, and be obviously either heteroromantic (as her crush on Matty would indicate) OR panromantic, since Mini seems to 'like' Franky given the few new recent scenes we've witnessed. Whether Franky returns those feelings or not...is another story.

Also, in every scene relating to physical touch OR sex, Franky seems nervous and/or downright scared. The scene with Matty and Liv having sex in the upstairs bathroom? Franky didn't look *jealous* She looked SCARED almost. There were tears in her eyes, but I didn't get a jealous feeling coming from her. More like...overwhelm. And she didn't seem to be able to look away.

I DO hope that if they make her asexual, they don't blame abuse as causing the asexuality. There are several hints in spoiler alerts/ cast interviews/ and actual scenes on the show that could indicate that she's been abused sexually, and if they use this as an excuse for a characters' asexuality, I'm gonna scream. O.o

I hated this show but... I watched Season 1 for Nicholas Hoult and Mitch Hewer. Then I just kept watching for unknown reasons.

It'd be amazing if Frankie turns out asexual though.

As I think I've said in another thread, I've still got my hopes pinned on Mini (because it would both be plausible and somewhat unpredictable in a positive way), but I guess that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Mini...yeah, it's possible. My guess is possibly...bi. Or even gay.

Franky seems more oblivious to the whole sexually charged atmosphere that has been developing around Mini as of late. Which is cute in a way, and also makes me want to yell a head's up to Franks, the poor kid. I mean, she keeps walking on emotional landmines here, and she's already had enough crap.

Mini...yeah, it's possible. My guess is possibly...bi. Or even gay.

Franky seems more oblivious to the whole sexually charged atmosphere that has been developing around Mini as of late. Which is cute in a way, and also makes me want to yell a head's up to Franks, the poor kid. I mean, she keeps walking on emotional landmines here, and she's already had enough crap.

I'll be honest and say I am probably projecting my own experiences on to Mini's episode (although I think I'm not the only one based on some of the asexual murmurings within the Skins fanbase in various places :P), when most likely the situation arose from her boyfriend being a horrible little toerag. You may well be right about Franky, although in all honesty I kind of hope that she isn't, simply because, as you said, there have been hints that she's been abused, and if they do go that way, even if her a/sexuality is never stated explicitly, her background is there for an audience to assume as causative.

I read way too much into Skins and always have. I find it leaves a lot of space for analysis.

(also, hey there, Skins avatar buddy. *high fives*)

^

you're right, re: the abuse angle. If they are going to play that angle, then I hope they never make her say "I'm asexual" or cop to it. Cause that's going to add a whole layer to stereotypes.

There have been a few little things BEYOND the more obvious things, but like you, I sometimes wonder if I read too much into things too. For example (and you can call me nuts), but in the season 5 trailer/ promo piece for the new generation, all of them were falling to the ground, and at the end, it was Franky's little wooden doll that broke into many pieces, and I always thought that was odd, because she carries that little doll around like it's some sort of friend or security item - talking to it when she's most anxious. And I honestly think it's HER, in symbol form: no face, no sexualized pieces, just a lanky up and down shape. And even the stop motion movie had obvious symbolism relating to her being attacked in Oxford.

Also, in the first episode, there is all sorts of 'minor' references suggesting depression or problems: she covers up the mirror with a blazer so she doesn't have to look at her face (it seems), and the mirror itself is a cut up mirror that sort of distorts her features as she stares into it (is she seeing what we, the audience, sees?), nevermind the almost pointed poster for Vertigo on the wall. Dizziness/ confusion/ loss of balance/ disorientation...little clues are already provided.

As she leaves for school, she races out of the house, never wanting to eat with her parents ("you're not missing brekkie again!" her dad says later, implying she misses meals *enough*) and then in the cafeteria, she didn't eat anything - just scattered a bunch of sugar all over the table, and poked at it with her finger, and then drank diet cola (based on the label on the can). Then when she went home later, with her friends (after their shoplifting excursion), she showed some 'veiled' self-loathing when Grace said that she's "like Annie!" (regarding Franky being adopted) and how she [Grace] "loves her" [loves Annie], and Franky says that she "hates the bitch" (which COULD be seen as a self-deprecating statement esp. since Grace is trying to say, in her own way... that she accepts Franky, and Franky seems to be saying back...she doesn't accept herself.)

Her dads then offer up baked goods later on in the episode, which Franky rejects again, and then leaves when the discussion turns to dresses and looking more feminine. Her younger dad apologies for her being "fragile" and after he leaves, if you look at the browser history - right by the Friendlock (?) site - the mean one that ripped her apart - there is another weblink that is saved in the history log: one that is sort of suspicious...it says www.mom/emegency

Which, and maybe I'm crazy, just makes me think of an emergency room/ or a parental site dealing with emergencies in parenting (especially since it's right under another website dealing with "online bullying" or cyber bullying AND the "Fanny A'int Got a Fanny" website... and it's sort of this really....really subtle little thing. But there's other little 'things' too that seem to indicate *something* more than just being a) asexual or b) genderqueer.

In the second episode, Rich's episode, Franky says that she never had a mum or a sister, and I guess this makes sense. She WAS adopted (and has only been living with her dad's for two years)...but if she had been in extended foster care/ she most likely would have had at least one foster sister or a foster mum or someone female to help her along. So you start to wonder...well, maybe she was orphaned suddenly, or maybe she was taken out of her previous living situation suddenly... *more mystery*

Also, I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes the writers use the character names to drop hints...or just use part of the name in reference to something else, like "Franky, my dear, I don't give a damn" and the "Frank-enstein" jab from Mini. In the second episode, Rich grabs a book on sexual abuse (it's technically on incest) that reads "A Frank Discussion" in big black letters, and that just seems sort of pointed. I mean it jumps out at the viewer, esp. when he says "I was looking for something" (or I was looking for this?) and he's gone back to the library to apply his skills after talking to Franky and Grace. Again, maybe it means absolutely nothing, but out of all the books to pick up, and then to have the camera hover on the title, enlarged, and just all these other little things.... it seems like it *could* mean something.

In episode 4, Liv's episode, although it's not a 'clue'...some interesting character development has Franky talking about guilt and blame, and how guilt and blame is "toxic" - which is a pretty interesting thing to say to another teenager. She's obviously very empathic. But it also sounds like a line you would hear in therapy as a teen...stuff about self-recrimination and self-blame and how those are toxic. I mean, can you see any of the other characters even phrasing it that way? Of course, Franky is super sweet, and in most ways is the most mature character on the show.

And in Alo's episode, Franky didn't seem at all jealous of Matty and Liv (apparently, according to the script, Matty and Liv were having sex in the washroom, and Franky had gone upstairs to use it). But she didn't look envious of Liv. She looked...dare I say nervous?

And in the very last episode - so much happened! - but I think it's sort of sad how she runs away from Mini/ Matty/ everyone at that bar scene (she looks to be in tears), but nothing really 'awful' has happened. Matty just disrupted a way-too-old guy from hitting on her, and her reaction, even if she was worried about Liv freaking out...you'd think would have been relief, but she leaves in tears. It was not the reaction I would have expected...

Again, I might be reading way too much into some of the scenes, but I did figure out some key 'surprises' in earlier seasons doing just the same :P, so it'll be interesting again to see how much tiny detail the writers have put into this season and for this generation! But you're totally right...if they go down the abuse road, then it's better to leave her as sexually confused, but not actually *confuse* the rest of the world by mucking up asexuality with abuse issues!

Ged of Earthsea

And in the very last episode - so much happened! - but I think it's sort of sad how she runs away from Mini/ Matty/ everyone at that bar scene (she looks to be in tears), but nothing really 'awful' has happened. Matty just disrupted a way-too-old guy from hitting on her, and her reaction, even if she was worried about Liv freaking out...you'd think would have been relief, but she leaves in tears. It was not the reaction I would have expected...

Oh my... I don't watch the show much. I can't stand the Mini-character. It's exactly the kind of person I try very hard to avoid in my life. But Franky. Yeah. I'm with you. I'm too old to have crushes on fictional tv characters dammit! But it's not just here. I've only watched bits here and there and the whole Matty-Franky connection, even though there were just a few snatched moments in the first four episodes was what completely had me obsessed. At least for me, the intensity is so deep. So real. And almost nothing happened except a few stolen glances but it was so *intense*. So *true*. I read your post and had to go watch the Grace episode. I can empathise with her reaction in that situation. She was not comfortable from the get-go and only went ahead because of the strange dynamics of the situation. Then it was broken up, which would be a bit of a relief, but (a) she got herself into that mess, so I can imagine some self-blame there, (b) she was very uncomfortable in that situation, so there is some emotional relief required, and finally © Matty. Oh Matty. So yes.

I'm less curious about her sexuality than how it will turn out between them.

carried in bags

I also thort she was gonna come out as ace last week. I was at the end of the sofa, not breathing with my mouth open. Gutted she didn't. I've flicked around some of the Skins forums and the asexual posability seems to come up a lot, most of it being positive - so thats nothing but brilliant.

As much as I dislike Mini, I did think that after seeing her episode she could be ace. But I think it'd be too soon for a twist that she turns out to be asexual. I'm hoping for a character as beautiful a Franky to be ace. TV needs to get in touch with asexuality now. Every gay story line is exausted.

I did think there would be about 10 episodes in a series, disapointed that there is only six. Tomorrow we find out, I now think think it is less likely she does turn out to be asexual. She has a thing for Matty - gutted again cos he's a prick!

I'm not a devoted follower of Skins, but am I right we'll have the same 'generation' next series?

^

I think she may have romantic feelings for Matty. And even those, I think, are morphing into something more complicated. He seems (Matty) to be messing around with people's emotions a lot (esp. Liv and Franky's). Stick with Liv, and be faithful, or tell Liv that you're attracted to Franky but don't lead (both) on (esp. not Franky, who seems to be the one with the most...self-deprecating inner nature/ self-esteem issues).

Mini has actually slowly changed from bitch to obviously...interested in Franky. Maybe not romantically, but she seems more defensive/ watchful (and that kiss? omg - she was so into that kiss!) and trailers for the finale tomorrow show her as being very protective of Franky.

So as much as I disliked how Mini acted in the beginning, she does seem to be changing into a much more sympathetic character? Odd, too, because initially I really liked Matty, but lately he's been coming off as more and more jerky.

I DO think Franky could still be asexual. ;) If not asexual, then possibly pansexual but with inhibitions due to her past (which is quoted as being "dark"). Too early to tell yet. Tomorrow shall reveal all (?) or...more....

Herr Joseph von Löthing

That line: 'I just wanted to be normal'

How many AVENites join saying that? That's as big a hint as I think we're going to get.

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT SEASON.

Ged of Earthsea

Do we have the same/similar cast for the next season? I don't know what's up with me. I was unbelieveably nervous watching that. Had to run to the loo twice. And I've been unable to do anything else today. That's the only thing running in my head.

Not just the part you quoted, but the whole dynamic. I could only think - I get this. I know this. It was beyond good and bad. It was *true*.

I have so rarely been so overwhelmed by anything.

Do we have the same/similar cast for the next season? I don't know what's up with me. I was unbelieveably nervous watching that. Had to run to the loo twice. And I've been unable to do anything else today. That's the only thing running in my head.

Not just the part you quoted, but the whole dynamic. I could only think - I get this. I know this. It was beyond good and bad. It was *true*.

I have so rarely been so overwhelmed by anything.

Yeah, they keep the same cast for two seasons (after that the characters have finished their A levels and they get another new cast). And yes, I was pretty nervous/recognise-y watching that too...

carried in bags

the next series will be out next year, right? I really want it to continue, I can't help but feel disapointed that the "A" word wasn't mentioned.

Ged of Earthsea

the next series will be out next year, right? I really want it to continue, I can't help but feel disapointed that the "A" word wasn't mentioned.

It's two damn days and I'm still feeling overwhelmed. I don't know why, but I couldn't ask for anything more. Actually, I'm almost scared of the next season because it's like extending a story beyond a perfect ending.

Ged...I have this song on my iPOD :)

I actually like a good deal of the music featured on Skins (UK version). Not everything, but they do have a pretty diverse selection :)

I still think Franky is an asexual panromantic. haha.