Asexuality and College Students

hercampus

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you find it difficult to be asexual in college?

• Yes, I often felt out of place or uncomfortable in various social situations
    • No, my being asexual on a college campus didn't really matter to anyone
    • Not sure
  2. 2. True or False: In college, I had no problem telling people that I am asexual

• True--I told anyone that seemed curious
    • False--I preferred to keep my orientation to myself
    • It depends--I told people who were close to me
  3. 3. True or False: I felt pressure to pretend to be sexually attracted to others in college even though I wasn't

• True. I had sexual partners in college to cover up the fact that I was not sexually attracted to anyone
    • False. I did not try to hide or obscure who I was.
    • Other
  4. 4. Did you realize that you were asexual in college?

• Yes, I knew before going to college that I was asexual
    • Yes. I realized that I was asexual in college
    • No. I didn't realize that I was asexual until after college
  5. 5. Did you feel like there were outlets in college for you to discuss being asexual?

• Yes. I was able to find a good groups of friends and a community in which I could talk about being asexual
    • No, I never really felt like there was an outlet to discuss asexuality.

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi everyone,

Thank you for welcoming me to the AVEN community. I'm a contributing writer for a publication called Her Campus magazine (hercampus.com) and I'm currently working on an article about asexuality. I'd like to discuss and dispel some of the rumors about asexuality, so if anyone is interested in talking to me, please feel free to message me or shoot me an email. I also created a poll above that anyone who is comfortable can answer, and I hope that some of you will.

Thanks for your time!

SASE Icecream man

You forgot people who never went to college, or hasn't yet. If you're doing a research on asexuality, it should include all asexuals. I see it's mainly (Completly) a college survay, but you mentioned that you wanted to stop rumours of asexuality by studing asexuals, for lack of a better term, and only interveiwing asexuals that have been to college or are is not going to get accurate results of our community as a whole. After all, asexuals are from varing ages; just as sexuals are under 18, asexuals can be too. ;) Not to mention ones that never got to go to college. I'd suspect they'd feel bad because they weren't included. I don't really know what kind of article you are writing, but I have the feeling it's a college paper. If so, can you specify that not all asexuals have been to college?

Your paper is directed towards a college audience though, right? If that's the case, then I am guessing that the paper discusses asexuality in a college setting and the cultural connotations that come with being an ace student.

For the first question, I answered "not sure," because while I have had awkward situations with my college friends that came up because of my asexuality, my campus itself is big enough and I am not involved enough for there to really be any significant deal about it. I also have not openly revealed it to anyone at my school, including those friends, but do not pretend to be what I am not; nor have I engaged with partners I didn't desire to have.

I'd like to see some awareness at my college, but I've yet to even see an LGBT alliance. :huh: I did just transfer though, so we'll see.

For the third question I put "Other" because I pretended to be sexually attracted but never did anything sexual to keep up the act. It mostly consisted of girls asking me if I thought soandso was hot, and I would look blankly and go "...Yes?" It convinced them though. :lol:

You forgot people who never went to college, or hasn't yet. If you're doing a research on asexuality, it should include all asexuals. I see it's mainly (Completly) a college survay, but you mentioned that you wanted to stop rumours of asexuality by studing asexuals, for lack of a better term, and only interveiwing asexuals that have been to college or are is not going to get accurate results of our community as a whole. After all, asexuals are from varing ages; just as sexuals are under 18, asexuals can be too. ;) Not to mention ones that never got to go to college. I'd suspect they'd feel bad because they weren't included. I don't really know what kind of article you are writing, but I have the feeling it's a college paper. If so, can you specify that not all asexuals have been to college?

You're right, and I should have been clearer. Anyone can do the poll or get in touch with me to speak confidentially if they'd like (I definitely wouldn't use any names at all if that was what the person preferred). On the other hand, if you did go to college and would like to share your experiences about that time, please feel free to do that, as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Currently in college.

Did you find it difficult to be asexual in college?

No. I'm both aromantic and asexual, so for me the entire human relationship thing is odd. I never cared and for the most part my friend group is too focused on other things, like school and D&D :). I found the sexual humor immature, but I ignored it and carried on the conversations. I also have a reputation for deadpan humor, so I sometimes just took what they said literally and got laughs out of my ignorance.

True or False: In college, I had no problem telling people that I am asexual.

I have told some people. my closest friends apparently know, although I never told them (one of my friends told my brother who told me they all knew *shrug*). In general, I see it like my height. I don't walk up to people I meet and say, "Hello, I'm mindsword, I'm 5'9.5". Pleased to meet you." I also don't say, "Hello, I'm mindsword, I'm asexual. Pleased to meet you."If they asked I generally wouldn't feel worried about telling them.

True or False: I felt pressure to pretend to be sexually attracted to others in college even though I wasn't.

I own part of a dock, so I have always been able to resist pier pressure better than most. Regardless, I never felt pressure to change. if I was more of and extrovert I might have felt it I guess, but my friend group has never pushed me.

Did you realize that you were asexual in college?

I learned about asexuality in the spring term of my sophomore year. Shook my notions of the world to the core. I had always considered myself normal. Thus, my pastor speaking about infidelity made me think, "Wow, I must have very good self-control to be able to keep these urges in check so easily. Other people must be weak-willed." Hubris, I know, but it really sums up my view on sexuality then. Finding AVEN changed my vision of my future as well as the rest of the world. Finally got a hold on myself by the end of the year.

Did you feel like there were outlets in college for you to discuss being asexual?

Not really. We have a LGTB group, but A is for ally there. I talk to my roommates about it. I guess AVEN and those two are my outlet (AVEN gets 95% of it)

When I was in college, dinosaurs still roamed the land... or actually Ronald Reagan was in the White House and everyone had big hair, big cars, and the music was definitely better then than it is today... (really, it was).

But back then it was still "okay" to be a "nice girl" while in college, so it made it easy to be asexual, I guess. I didn't have too many problems in college. I liked the people I met in college, and have good memories of college, mostly. The happiest times in my life were while I was in college... I hated high school, it s-cked. A lot of the "popular" girls in high school did not go to college, since they were "so popular" that they "got married" in a "hurry." (They would carry their flowers in such a way as the wedding pics would not "show" why they were marrying so fast... ! Yeah, no kidding.)

Anyway... I'd love to help with your project. It sounds like an interesting article.

• 8 years later...

@hercampus

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator