Sometimes young people give me the faeces

test account

Apologies in advance for what I'm about to say, but it s---s me up the wall to hear teens and twenty-somethings moaning on about how their life is practically over. And it also s---s me to hear 30-somethings moan about being old. Life is for living, not just in youth but your whole life long. Stop bringing me down with negative agist crap! I'm looking forward to my 40s being the best decade of my life yet, and my 70s will be incredible. New horizons, new adventures. How different will the world be in 40 years? What things will I have accomplished? Who will I know? I've got decades yet to explore and grow! So who's counting the time? While you sit there worrying you could instead be living and enjoying whatever comes your way. So take a big slice of the pie and chow down!

And believe me, this is the voice of experience. I grew up in the shadow of armagedon. I had NO future here. And what a waste of flipping time! Live your lives people!!

Gho St Ory Qwan

In my area, I'm the only 19 year old I know who still wants to grow older. ^_^ I would like to have grey hairs at some point. And wrinkles would be an interesting development if I live long enough to have them.

Personally though I feel as though I aged at least 3 times as fast as other people my age, so I kinda feel like an old person in a young persons body. I like being my age, and I don't think it's a problem to get older, but I don't expect to live forever and I would be surprised to live as long as 50. It would feel like 200 years or more of life lmao

So I just assumed I see things differently to everyone else.

I justify my weird thoughts and perception of time both to insomnia and that I'm an artist! XD I'm sure it justifies it. ahaha

Youngsters these days, thinking they're old when they've barely stopped being teenagers. They're just kids still. lmao Oh well. They can live their lives feeling too old if they want. I feel mentally old, but for me that's a great thing. Because no matter how much you age your mind doesn't do much more than store more information and more wisdom. You don't mentally slow down with age in the ways those young people will suggest they're slowing down.

I know loads of people call themselves old when they turn 20 and are genuinely upset about it. I think they place importance on being kids too much. Emotionally, humans don't develop much more after around 15 years old by what I can see. So thinking they are suddenly different is silly, they're the same people if they want to stay the same. The most childlike thing is to want to continue learning and developing; once they say they're too old they start becoming it of their own will. XD That's how I see it anyway.

I think we should both celebrate our youth by clicking our heels as much as we can until our joints are too rusty to allow it. ^_^ bahaha

I like that idea :) Let's click heels!

I'm an artist too by the way, so i wonder if it does make a difference? On the other hand, I've never felt mentally old like you (and i know what you mean, not 'tired' old but rather 'wise' old). The longer I live, the more aware I become of my ignorance, and yet I greet the realization with great joy. It's so wonderful to have new vistas of thought opened to me, like my eyes are adjusting to the light.

I had a dream once where I saw my reflection in the bathroom mirror and I saw a 70 yr old woman looking back at me. At first I was shocked because I didn't recognize her, but then I saw what gentle, smiling eyes she had, and I liked her a lot, and I realized she was me. And I said 'hello' and smiled at her, and she smiled back. I tried to draw the reflection when I woke up but I couldn't get it quite right. I would so like to see if I end up looking like I did in my dream. ^_^

I can dig it what you are saying, but... !!! And here's the but... when I was 19, I had so much energy. Really, I did. I did not have any money, no education, knew nothing about the world, had a crappy job and crappy friends... now I'm 46... and guess what? I have some money saved, a good education, I know a little more about the world, and I have a better job and better friends... and yah know what else? I get tired much easier these days. I've had Grave's disease for the past five years & finally it's starting to get better. I tripped by being a klutz and broke a bone in my foot and was in a cast for almost three freakin' months... (if I tripped when I was 19, would it have broken then? Maybe not?) I shovel snow and my back hurts the next morning... I go to martial arts class and the kids can do a hell of a lot more push ups than I can... I never had stiff joints before, now I do.

My mother is 75 and she sleeps a lot and is quite deaf and says "what?" a lot. She has a lot of doctor appointments, and has a "pill organizer" for each day of the week. She has this condition and that condition... but says, "What's the alternative?" She sometimes asks me, "Did I remember to take my pills?" "I don't know." Sometimes she can't find her pills... Sometimes she can't find the cat, either. She looks at me and says, "This is what you have to look forward to."

I read the obituaries sometimes, also known as the Irish Sports Pages... I see this one made it to 98, this one made it to 102... maybe I'll make it, too. Then I read this one dropped at 53... I dunno, you guys. It's hell to be gettin' old!

I had a dream once where I saw my reflection in the bathroom mirror and I saw a 70 yr old woman looking back at me. At first I was shocked because I didn't recognize her, but then I saw what gentle, smiling eyes she had, and I liked her a lot, and I realized she was me. And I said 'hello' and smiled at her, and she smiled back. I tried to draw the reflection when I woke up but I couldn't get it quite right. I would so like to see if I end up looking like I did in my dream. ^_^

That's just beautiful, AA. :cake::cake::cake:

phantomwriter

I've enjoyed my early adulthood for the most part so far. Even though I have a lot on my plate right now and for the next few years as I learn how to be a teacher, I'm quite content with my present. And I'm looking forward to various stages of life. Mid-twenties, late-twenties, I feel like my entire 30s decade is going to be awesome because: A. I'll actually have a career that I'll *crosses fingers* enjoy B. I'll be established enough to be able to pay rent and have enough money left over for food and other things I need and C. I'll still be young enough where I won't have things like back pain and fatigue. I think 40's 50's and 60's also seem promising if I stay healthy. I look forward to looking the part of being wise. :) I am a little cautious about 70 and up because, well, bodies just naturally start deteriorating at that point. But at the same time, people in those age groups tend to be the most content with their lives. So there you go. Enjoy youth while it lasts and don't fear aging. Each stage of life has its own up-sides.

I'm so glad I haven't caused any massive offense with this thread. I like to be supportive of people's feelings but sometimes feelings are clouded by social myths, and as such they really should be challenged.

*thumbs up*

I've been wishing for a fast-forward button lately because I'm at a stage in my life where it seems like annoying things cloud over the rest of it. But when I think back, I've always been like that. When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up, and now I miss the days of not having responsibilities and being able to play for much longer periods of time because I didn't have much that I "had to do".

I don't need a fast forward button, I need to learn to appreciate this portion of my life, and try to find the positive even though it's annoying - there's always going to be something annoying about it.

On a side note, I found a site once that allows you to alter a photo of yourself to look younger, older and of different races. It's not perfect but it does give an interesting illusion.

uploads.jpg

Here's that site: http://morph.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/

I just want to say I do agree. I dislike hearing teenagers and those in their early 20s complain about how old they are. |: Life doesn't end at 25, people.

I can understand being nostalgic over a period of one's life that has passed, but it doesn't make you 'old' to have been and gone through it. Childhood is a big one, something you can never have back again, but still. You're going to go through many more stages of life.

And Averillo Armadillo, that sounds like a lovely dream.

It really was. Every time I remember it I have a really calm, peaceful feeling. It's like I'm looking forward to meeting someone. I think I'll miss the person I am now, but I'll enjoy remembering. Plus I'm a big diary writer so I'll have lots of funny stuff to read when I'm sitting down with a cup of tea. Some of it is hilarious to read back now, and some is sobering. I'm curious to see what the next five years will bring.

mylittlehazmat

I have to admit I did do a bit of double-check when I realised I'd turned 19 ... cuz 19 is old, it's mature and I am by no means mature ...

But I don't think my life is over. ._. I agree, I'm kinda looking forward to being 30, 40, to see where I get and what I turn out like ... but it's not like OMG IM GUNNA HAS WRINKLES NUUUU. :P That said, I already don't feel my age, so aha. Oh well.

I've been wishing for a fast-forward button lately because I'm at a stage in my life where it seems like annoying things cloud over the rest of it. But when I think back, I've always been like that. When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up, and now I miss the days of not having responsibilities and being able to play for much longer periods of time because I didn't have much that I "had to do".

I don't need a fast forward button, I need to learn to appreciate this portion of my life, and try to find the positive even though it's annoying - there's always going to be something annoying about it.

Grass is always greener, etc.

The teens and 20-somethings who do freak out over "getting old" or whatever else they think is going to put an end to their lives need perspective. There are teens and 20-somethings in other parts of the world who really ARE living in abject poverty, war, genocide, you name it... while those on the forum sit in front of computers, play computer games, and are being educated in the wealthiest parts of the world.

Be grateful!

:)

SASE Icecream man

In my area, I'm the only 19 year old I know who still wants to grow older. ^_^ I would like to have grey hairs at some point. And wrinkles would be an interesting development if I live long enough to have them.

Personally though I feel as though I aged at least 3 times as fast as other people my age, so I kinda feel like an old person in a young persons body. I like being my age, and I don't think it's a problem to get older, but I don't expect to live forever and I would be surprised to live as long as 50. It would feel like 200 years or more of life lmao

So I just assumed I see things differently to everyone else.

I justify my weird thoughts and perception of time both to insomnia and that I'm an artist! XD I'm sure it justifies it. ahaha

Youngsters these days, thinking they're old when they've barely stopped being teenagers. They're just kids still. lmao Oh well. They can live their lives feeling too old if they want. I feel mentally old, but for me that's a great thing. Because no matter how much you age your mind doesn't do much more than store more information and more wisdom. You don't mentally slow down with age in the ways those young people will suggest they're slowing down.

I know loads of people call themselves old when they turn 20 and are genuinely upset about it. I think they place importance on being kids too much. Emotionally, humans don't develop much more after around 15 years old by what I can see. So thinking they are suddenly different is silly, they're the same people if they want to stay the same. The most childlike thing is to want to continue learning and developing; once they say they're too old they start becoming it of their own will. XD That's how I see it anyway.

I think we should both celebrate our youth by clicking our heels as much as we can until our joints are too rusty to allow it. ^_^ bahaha

i always wanted gray hair! I thought that it'd so cool to have my hair change naturally, and wrinkles would be a moment to look forward too. A new expierence to try!

I'm only 14, and of course everyone my age wants to get OLDER, but all the time I get caught giving them looks of astonishment, and not in the good way. They do something rude, and I just look at them, and they have no idea how inconsiderate they were. <_< annoying! Usually I feel like the wisest person in the world, whitch, as I know, is baloony, but full of 13-14 olds that are with one boyfriend/girlfreind the first day and with another the next, it sure feels like it.

Also: I'm an artist too. :o I'm not that good, just sketches and some other stuff, dabbling, but if you can count that....

Having people say that their life is over is so annoying. There is so many people who are starving, living out on the streets, being beaten, ectetra, peoples who lives are over, emoionally or phsically, and some kid who hasn;t had a hard day like that in his/her life is complaining like that just irks me.

EDIT: You ninja! It wasn't a real ninja, but I didn't read the whole thread and saw:

The teens and 20-somethings who do freak out over "getting old" or whatever else they think is going to put an end to their lives need perspective. There are teens and 20-somethings in other parts of the world who really ARE living in abject poverty, war, genocide, you name it... while those on the forum sit in front of computers, play computer games, and are being educated in the wealthiest parts of the world.

Be grateful!

:)

mylittlehazmat

I have to admit I did do a bit of double-check when I realised I'd turned 19 ... cuz 19 is old, it's mature and I am by no means mature ...

you do realise that not only is 19 not old, it's actually quite young... right? :huh: it's not even mature. maybe moreso than 8 or 13, but although i definitely know some mature 19-year-olds, it's not a mature age in my opinion...

Of course I realise, or I would not be so wholly amused at my double-checking. That said, I also think I'm perpetually stuck at 14 - and do not most 14 year olds think that 19 year olds are so BIG and MATURE and just like, GINORMOUS? IDK. I always did. Like a young child looking up at their friends older sibling or something, and being like, woahhh.

You'll have to forgive me for not being better at conveying the tongue-in-cheek ...

I'm one of those who complain of life being over and I'm rather young.

Most of the careers I've dreamed about and still dream about you have to start young ( mostly entertainment sector jobs ).

I'll go with my dream timeline here:

I wanted to be an dancer ( at ballet or Indian classical ). My parents didn't agree to this and you have to start at least at 10 . The dance schools here don't take you if you are mid teens.

I then decided I wanted to be a vocalist. Again no agreement from the " authorities " so no training for me hence I had to drop this. Every singer I know ( minus Susan Boyle ) started young.

I wanted to go as a canidate for this country in Miss Universe. There is a age limit here , plus I have weight issues in which I have no support from family nor enough money to a point I won't make the limit.

Why I feel old ? Because there are people younger than me who have already made it big in those fields I wanted ex. Lee Taemin , Miley Cyrus etc whereas here I am with no motivation studying Accounting just to get my mother to shut up & it hurts. My parents are controlling so there is no way out for me atm Everything I want in life is evaporating so my choices are becoming less and less that's why I relegated myself to the languages field. I don't care who gets annoyed it's just how I feel.

Occasionally I get a little annoyed when young people talk about OhMyGoshI'm GettingOLD, but mostly I just find it amusing (as in, they have no idea! ha!).

Anyway, I don't feel old and certainly don't feel like my life is over and I'll be 55 this year. As far as I'm concerned each new decade has been better than the previous one for me. I learned from 2 of my grandparents who lived good lives into their 90's that life can be great for many years. Especially if you remain open to new things, keep on learning, find delight and joy where you can, and keep mentally and physically active to the best of your ability. :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave - I agree the important thing is to keep interested, keep trying to cope with new ideas (though it does take longer to get to grips with things). I'm 62 in a few weeks (though my brain still thinks it's 17) and there are still things to be done for the first time, and I don't know a fraction of all there is to learn...great isn't it :lol:

there are still things to be done for the first time, and I don't know a fraction of all there is to learn...great isn't it :lol:

Absolutely! :) (I know what you mean about your brain still thinking it's 17. :lol: )

I'm learning a lot from the yadas, from AVEN (and inspired to learn even more from the science threads).

I'm 16, and I feel old, and like my life is already over and done with, because adults always yell and scream at you that everything you do now determines your future, and show you charts about how much money you will make, and then how much you need to support a family, etc.. so don't blame us for thinking our lives are over, blame adults for making sure we think they are.

I love my life, and knowing my family I will die with a full head of hair and will never need dentures, and wrinkles won't be noticable until I'm sixty or more. My parents are 40+ and I've been asked several times how old my dad/mom was when they had me- because they think my parents must have been 13, or younger. They were in their late twenties and early thirties, in fact. And they still look the damn same they did ten years ago.

So, I don't have to worry about the physical effects of aging. I naturally have ashen-brown (in the summer, golden-brown) hair, and I think I will look very, very good with grey hair.

I'm more worried about having to deal with other people who aren't so blessed, and who are cranky and complaining and bigoted and.. yeah.

Thankfully, I'll be travelling the world as an adventurer. Screw the "save up money to travel' part, all I need is friends, a backpack, a passport, and a staff, and a good set of legs.

So, yeah.

You only get old when let your mind go stale.

I blame the media, too. Now they're selling anti wrinkle remedies to 30-somethings. WTF? I know, the wrinkles form around 25 or so, even if you can't see them. But my point is: who cares? I don't think of wrinkles as the end of the world. When my hair started going white, I was sort of amused, I thought it was kind of cool. I think we're so immersed in a youth worshiping culture that any signs of not being 17 anymore are regarded as terrible. The commercials tell us that young=healthy=sexy, and that not being perceived as young and sexy is the end of the world. No wonder people freak out when they turn 25. Some of it may also be people who are afraid of being single or not having a family, and think you need to do this by a certain age or your prospects become much grimmer.

Gho St Ory Qwan

Well I don't think I'm incredibly wise although I have this horrible side of me that thinks I probably know more than most people; but I'm also constantly aware they know more than me, just in different areas.

I think in general I am good at seeing the other side to things, the alternatives, many possibilities. With that, I never am completely bound to one idea, so I tend to step back from things and think deeply more than most people seem to take the time to.

I think that very act makes me feel older; while others are wrapped up in their lives I'm wrapped up in reflection of my past, my future, my connections with others, the way the world works, the meaning of life. Just about everything I can think of I will overthink, so I do get wrapped up in life, but not, like others my age, by things such as money, sex, drinking, having fun, and those sorts of things.

I'm fully aware I know so little and I quite like that. I'm also aware that most people will say they know their knowledge is limited but will still be surprised when they are proven wrong, I too am like that. So I have a long way to go before I get more wise. aha ^_^ but I think right now I have a satisfactory about to be proud of what I am right now.

With regards to being old in the negative sense;

I also suffer with a mood disorder of some sort. So I feel mentally and physically most drained and old/dead during my severe depression, most definitely. My body stops functioning normally, I feel much less physical pain and probably lose the same amount of sensory pleasure. I of course lose the interest and pleasure of being alive; so it feels like a spiritual/emotional death. I suppose that may be the main reason I feel like I've lived several lives. Coming out of depression makes me feel like a new sort of person. But this time, I came out of depression much more serene I think. ^_^ So I like what I am right now quite a lot. ^_^

I think maybe the catharsis of coming out of depression, especially this last episode, is what's made me feel much older too. Like, older people sometimes, they get to that wonderful point where they aren't afraid of death so much, not that they want it; they enjoy life. They enjoy things rather easily, but they feel like they're in a good place and it seems like they're pleased at how they've become despite the struggles and physical ailments they might have.

Personally I'm extremely fortunate because while it feels like I've lived long enough to get to that stage apparently I'm pretty young, so now I'm taking care of my body finally, and it's responding so well to it. So right now, even physically, I'm feeling almost normal again. Which is nice. ^_^

@mylittlehazmat Your display picture of the stars looks like a bear jumping up for an air hug... :wub:

I thought you needed to use anti-wrinkle cream before you get wrinkles? Someone started using some last week because they turned 20 lmao Some of them smell nice.

I want the wrinkles around my eyes, that people get when they've laughed a lot but I doubt I'll get them, I find making facial expressions troublesome and for some reason it doesn't actually come naturally to me. ^_^ So my smiles practically never reach my eyes. I might get the grumpy mouth wrinkles instead. =/ Not sure about that part of ageing... I'm also thin so will wrinkle faster but have black in my blood (lol that sounds weird) and black people tend to not wrinkle much, so maybe that will counter the being thin...

Saa na? Time may tell. ^_^

Why I feel old ? Because there are people younger than me who have already made it big in those fields I wanted ex. Lee Taemin , Miley Cyrus etc whereas here I am with no motivation studying Accounting just to get my mother to shut up & it hurts. My parents are controlling so there is no way out for me atm Everything I want in life is evaporating so my choices are becoming less and less that's why I relegated myself to the languages field. I don't care who gets annoyed it's just how I feel.

Shinya, I'm sorry if what I said in this thread hurt you. I was feeling upset myself when I started it because of being cut off by a man I was dating and hearing people much younger than me complaining that they would die alone if they didn't have a partner by their age. It made me feel that to such people, I must look like a ridiculous old fool for thinking any man could want me at 36.

I think you really do have a tough situation, a situation rightly to be angry about. Your life is being made difficult for you and I know that sort of pain. I won't say 'don't give up on your dreams' because the fact is you won't be able to. They'll always be there crying for attention. I wish you all the support you can find to pursue them as soon as you get the chance. Try to keep in contact with people in those fields if you possibly can. It's people who provide the opportunities. Take care :cake:

For those who are upset because their parents are running their lives, remember that five years from now, you probably won't be living with them. You'll be out on your own IF you don't expect your first job to be in your dream career. Career changes can happen at any time from 20 to 50 or older. Keep your dreams, but work toward supporting yourselves in the meantime. Then you won't have to listen to your parents because you won't be needing them to make those dreams come true.

there are still things to be done for the first time, and I don't know a fraction of all there is to learn...great isn't it :lol:

Absolutely! :) (I know what you mean about your brain still thinking it's 17. :lol: )

I'm learning a lot from the yadas, from AVEN (and inspired to learn even more from the science threads).

It's lovely to hear the perspective of you guys :)

I must make a confession now that when I used to hear older people say they felt like they were still 17 or whatever, I used to find that kind of distasteful. From my immature perspective, it sounded like they were saying they hadn't matured emotionally and couldn't be relied on to give wise counsel or provide emotional stability to us floundering young people :ph34r: I now realise it means something quite different though, and one can feel so many different ages at once in different ways. I'm hypothesizing that it comes down to all those neural pathways that get built at various stages of life. I kind of wonder if your brain somehow knows how old each pathway is and invokes a feeling of that age whenever they're used... research for another time perhaps. :)

For those who are upset because their parents are running their lives, remember that five years from now, you probably won't be living with them. You'll be out on your own IF you don't expect your first job to be in your dream career. Career changes can happen at any time from 20 to 50 or older. Keep your dreams, but work toward supporting yourselves in the meantime. Then you won't have to listen to your parents because you won't be needing them to make those dreams come true.

Good point Sally.

I'm 16, and I feel old, and like my life is already over and done with, because adults always yell and scream at you that everything you do now determines your future, and show you charts about how much money you will make, and then how much you need to support a family, etc.. so don't blame us for thinking our lives are over, blame adults for making sure we think they are.

I understand and I remember the trauma I was put through at your age. I hope what other people have said in this thread helps you to find balance against the fear-mongering :cake:

Gho St Ory Qwan

I don't understand 'feeling 17' mentally because I don't think I can really feel an age. Not a specific one, and not for any reason. I understand it's to do with the fact they may feel they haven't changed much since 17 but tbh I haven't changed much since my earliest thoughts I can remember which should be at the oldest, when I was 6 years old. I wouldn't say I'm immature, but my thoughts are not very different. The parts that develop, like coping mechanisms and knowledge have adapted, and those things are ageless developments. The part that has stayed the same is more like a temperament or like a mental schema. Ah I forgot I was typing this. lmao Whatever I'm waffling. -.-

mylittlehazmat

I agree, I don't feel mentally as if I have an age, which I think is more why it's always a surprise each year, that I have aged at all.

Ged of Earthsea

You know, it really drives me up to wall to hear older people whining about how teens are always whining ...

I'm just kidding. We all need to let off some steam at times. To some extent, young people are doing the same. Is it so hard to see where they're coming from?

For one, every one and everything, from your personal experience to your parents and the media you are exposed to tells you that these are your formative years. That all important choices that will impact your education, hence career, hence job prospects and consequently adult lifestyle will be made in the next few years. It isn't surprising that this stage feels like the edge of the youthful universe. Moreover, the sensible voices that will tell you this is a fallacy and how your life begins now are few and are usually drowned out by the crowd.

Then, there is the perception of time. When I was 10, a year was a Very Long Time. Time moved very slowly. Not surprising considering a year was 10% of my life. 20 years later time seems to move pretty fast. There was the period between my late teens and my mid-20s where time sped up faster than my perception could adjust. A new year begins. I settle into it. Bang! The next year hurtles past. It's scary to actually confront and observe the passage of time. Now, the day to day, or even year-to-year passage of time is too fast to bother me.

Finally, I think a big factor behind the 'I'm Old' or "it's over!" feeling is the perception of the future. When I was 10 I could not imagine myself as 12. When I was 20 I couldn't see up to 25. Now, close to 30, I can easily see up to 35 but it's a bit harder to see till 40. Even as a young person, I could dream of being a parent or a grandparent; I still can. That's different from imagining yourself mucking around in a day-to-day manner doing things, especially new things and having new experiences. Mick Jagger in his 20s said he'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when he's 45. He's still singing it at 65. We can laugh at him, but I can imagine that at 25, 45 is a complete black void and you think you'll be damned if you're doing the same stuff then. Then you have a life and stop whining about age or satisfaction (unless you're Mick Jagger of course).

Archived