Nationality stereotypes

Raccoonwolf

Jews talk and argue constantly.

Oh wait, that's true. And Jews come from all different countries so it's moot. But still.

Probably why they make such great lawyers.

Jews and other Middle Easterners are good at business.

Jews are smart and are behind all of the worlds problems.

Jews, Germans, Armenians, and Chinese place high emphasis on education.

Americans are not well educated.

Australians are tough, fearless folk.

Indians, Armenians, and Persians have the career options of lawyer, doctor, and engineer (unless they are Armenian in which case the men could be priests).

Armenians are conservative and are Orthodox Christians.

Chinese are good at math.

hrmm, where's ProdeFemme when you need her? :P i'm sure she could have fun with this thread...

I looked for her on Apositive but nope. In fact, hardly anyone's there.

Re: The Illuminati... I thought that was run by the Republican Party, which is also run by the Bilderberg Group, which also runs the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations, all of which of course are controlled by David Icke's lizard people... I dunno. I think it's all part of the New World Order.

The Canadians don't think they're British anymore

Heh. There are still a few of us who don't know any better. -_-

[avitus@Figaro ~]$ locale -a
C
en_GB
en_GB.iso88591
en_GB.utf8
POSIX

<goes to make more tea>

Re: The Illuminati... I thought that was run by the Republican Party, which is also run by the Bilderberg Group, which also runs the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations, all of which of course are controlled by David Icke's lizard people... I dunno. I think it's all part of the New World Order.

Jennifer Hudson is a member too.

Jennifer Hudson is a member too.

And possibly Oprah.

When I think of Minnesota, I think of Fargo.

This is one thing I do not like. Fargo is in NORTH DAKOTA, not Minnesota! God, that movie is what made everyone think MN is stupid, and it's not even based on the right state!

Scottish people wear strange clothing and are in love with plaid.

Swedes are dumb.

Jews talk and argue constantly.

Oh wait, that's true. And Jews come from all different countries so it's moot. But still.

Now you've made me think of Northern Exposure and I can't concentrate on anything else... -.- Fleischman...

• 2 weeks later...

Scottish people have anger issues

[yes i've been watching the thick of it on dvd lately :D it's impressive to get an 18's rating without any violence, without any sex and no drug use in it apart from cigarettes)

but despite anger issues, they make great laid back music :)

Guest member25959

INTERNATIONAL THREAT LEVELS

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats, and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved”. Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross”. The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940, when tea supplies nearly ran out.

Terrorists have been re-categorised from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance”. The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's get the Bastards”. They don't have any other levels. Which is why they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” two more levels remain:“Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels:“Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual. The only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile, and as usual, are carrying out pre-emptive strikes on all of their allies 'just in case.'

Canada doesn't have any alert levels.

New Zealand has raised its security levels - from “baaa” to “BAAAA.” Due to continuing defence cutbacks, New Zealand has only one more level of escalation, which is “I hope Australia will come and rescue us.”

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She'll be right, mate.” Three more escalation levels remain:“Crikey!”; then “We may need to cancel the barbie this weekend”; and finally “The barbie is cancelled!” Thus far, no situation has ever warranted use of this final escalation level.

And Switzerland just sits and watches? :P

When I think of Minnesota, I think of Fargo.

This is one thing I do not like. Fargo is in NORTH DAKOTA, not Minnesota! God, that movie is what made everyone think MN is stupid, and it's not even based on the right state!

I know that the city of Fargo is in North Dakota. However, most of the movie is set in Brainerd and in the Twin Cities. The Coen Brothers are from Minnesota, you know. They intended the movie to portray Minnesotans stereotypically. They did something similar with Raising Arizona. I am from Arizona and I thought that their portrayal of it was hilarious.

I don't so much have a problem with the stereotype- we'd get it no matter what, and it keeps tourists out of the state :D I just get sick of FARGO=Minnesota, just because... well, I don't even quite get why. Maybe it's because I grew up hearing Fargo=ND while MOORHEAD=MN even if they are pretty much the same city! Cigarette taxes are cheaper in Fargo. And you can still get Krispy Kremes!

I don't so much have a problem with the stereotype- we'd get it no matter what, and it keeps tourists out of the state :D I just get sick of FARGO=Minnesota, just because... well, I don't even quite get why. Maybe it's because I grew up hearing Fargo=ND while MOORHEAD=MN even if they are pretty much the same city! Cigarette taxes are cheaper in Fargo. And you can still get Krispy Kremes!

Yeah, I guess that I can understand that the rest of the country thinking about the same movie whenever they think about your state might be kind of annoying. I'm sorry if I offended you. It is a really great movie, though.

Fargo isn't the only thing to blame, though. "A Prairie Home Companion" is also partly responsible, I think.

On a more philosophical level, Americans are 'capitalist', the old soviet union was 'communist', and the sensible europeans took the position of 'somehwere in between'.

Reality being, of course, that 'capitalism' is sort of an obsolete term nowadays, the soviet union was never really 'communist' (but by a wild coincidence, looked an awful lot like most quote unquote 'communist' countries usually do) and the european model is far closer to the American one than they like to admit.

On a more philosophical level, Americans are 'capitalist', the old soviet union was 'communist', and the sensible europeans took the position of 'somehwere in between'.

Reality being, of course, that 'capitalism' is sort of an obsolete term nowadays, the soviet union was never really 'communist' (but by a wild coincidence, looked an awful lot like most quote unquote 'communist' countries usually do) and the european model is far closer to the American one than they like to admit.

Yeah, and the European countries weren't just "in between", they were struggling with all kinds of wars and revolutions. Never really reasonably in between. Though the Nordics did stay somewhat sane in the WW2, and probably there were other countries like that in the south, but I don't remember right now.

And haha, when Finland became independent, everyone was like "WEST!! WEST!!" because they were scared of Russia/Soviet Union. (They were right to be scared.) So Finns quite adore the US, and have a very romantic image of it. But I think that's actually changing a little with how younger people know all the "fat, unhealthy American" stereotypes thanks to the TV.

Americans are fat and unhealthy is not an unreasonable stereotype. I think that, and I'm American. Here's another Chinese one(It's not quite a stereotype)- Chinese people are so skinny because they eat rice with chopsticks. It all falls off.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to America about 5 months ago, from the Faroe Islands, Europe. And I'd say it's not true that the average American is fatter than the average European. And I'm not only comparing that to my own country but also several other European countries I've visited. I'd say, in general, there are just as many overweight people in Europe as in America. But seeing people who are EXTREMELY overweight, that happens more often here in America than in Europe. But again, I suppose that varies depending on where in America you are. Living here Buffalo, NY this has been my observation however.

As for stereotypes. I've always heard that Germans are very organized and punctual. And being married to a German, I can say that he, and his entire family, follow that stereotype very well! :lol:

Oh and some other stereotypes which are quite common in my country: Danes talk too much, without ever really saying anything, and they know nothing about nature. Finns are smart but very lonely and suicidal. Swedes think they are better than anyone else. Norwegians are all nature-freaks who live in cottages with no electricity (by choice) and go mountain climbing on a daily basis.

I'm American so I must be fat, lazy, ignorant (although I have witnessed a dumb kid at school asking a Canadian student to speak "Canadian" for him) and have a horrible sense of style.

Aaaand since I'm of Korean descent, I must somehow be related to one of the Korean pop stars, hate Japanese people, and place great emphasis on my looks. Wait, that's contradictory..

KieranTheWerewolf42

I'm American so I must be fat, lazy, ignorant (although I have witnessed a dumb kid at school asking a Canadian student to speak "Canadian" for him) and have a horrible sense of style.

Don't forget loud, gun toting maniac!

I would like to go to some parts of the US one day (I have distant relatives in St Louis) but I want to get my teeth fixed first. I know I shouldn't be bothered by the stereotypes of others but... seriously, compared to the American Smile my teeth look like they were designed by H. R. Giger. I just know that if I went there people would use my own grin as positive reinforcement of the British teeth stereotype.

ETA: incidentally, I've never needed a filling in all my twenty-six years. My teeth are misshapen but healthy.

There is no American Smile, unless you're talking about the teeth-bleaching commercials. There is, however, an American body, which usually weighs 350 pounds.

Silent_Silver

Americans think the British are all smart because of their posh accent. Oh, and they're all rich, too. And they all drive a Bentley, and live in a manor house, and have a butler.

Unfortunately people in the UK actually own the smallest houses in europe :(

I like British accents! That's about the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of Britian-that and Big Ben, and the underwater train! But then, I'm not your stereotypical American, either!

'the underwater train' lol! I love it! It's called the Eurostar m'dear

I would have to agree that us Americans are loud and I think pride is a problem here- everyone is out for themselves. Also rude. British people in my mind are more civilized and maybe quieter. More pleasent maybe.

lol! Brits are rude, loud, violent, drunk, chavvy yobs! Do not venture out after dark, you will wind up in hospital.

Oh and stereotypes.

Welsh - Shag sheep!

Irish - Redheaded, Catholic, Drunks

French - Frogs, eat frogs legs and snails, dirty

Hahaha, well, a stereotype about southern US rednecks is that they have awful teeth too :P

All three of their teeth.

Uhh...Would that be tartan? :lol:

Scots are probably subjected to the most disproportionate stereotyping in comparison to actual population size. There are more people in London than Scotland, and somehow everyone knows that we wear tartan and kilts, drink whiskey, eat haggis, and have massively disproportionate tempers...*cough*. Most foreigners can even pull off something of an imitation of a Scottish accent (usually bordering on insulting, honestly :rolleyes: )Rarely do people know that we invented the telephone, the television, the monorail and discovered penicillin 8)

Stereotypes I've heard are: the Irish are faith-crazed, the English are arrogant and the American's are really media-obsessed.

Sterotypes about my country :

~ Trinidadians have 3 don'ts

Don't want to work

Don't want to starve

Don't want to dead. ( yes this line is wrong by standard english terms )

~ Love to party and wine ( wine is a slang term for gyrating )

~ Love beer and alcohol.

~ Are lazy and have a serious attitude problem.

~ We hate Tobagonians , Grenadians & Guyanese

~ Can make soca songs about everything and anything.

~ We have the world's finest kidnappers

~ Are a sly bunch of ppl ( Kinda agree with this )

~ Will skip work at any given cost.

Most Canadians:

don't dislike all Americans (who the heck started this?)

don't all pronounce about as a-boot

don't all know French fluently (though many do, in certain regions)

don't eat maple syrup at every meal

aren't okay *at all* with the seal hunt (everyone I know is horrified!)

aren't all excessively polite (there's 30 million plus people here. some are going to be rotten eggs)

Most Canadians I know:

have added "eh" to their sentences at times. I've done it too. *facepalm* It sneaks in sometimes, eh?

aren't very flag-waving proud. We seem to be a little more laid back in that department.

do pronounce Z as Zed, not Zee

do pronounce certain words with a slight (to me) and obvious accent difference. Mostly words with the "out" get drawn out a bit more, and ah sounds too are usually less frequent. Like, a lot of Americans I know pronounce Sorry like "sah-ree" whereas most Canadians would pronounce it as "Sore-eee" The O's get pronounced a little more often.

do tend to use British spellings more often, although it OFTEN seems to be this "aww, whatever" deal. Like, I won't freak out if you spell colour as color. I am used to the "u"'s added to everything, but removing them does simplify things

Re: Hockey. It's probably split. I could care less about team sports, on the whole, having spent my childhood in gymnastics, track and field and karate.

But hockey is pretty huge in some areas too.

Oh and some other stereotypes which are quite common in my country: Danes talk too much, without ever really saying anything, and they know nothing about nature. Finns are smart but very lonely and suicidal. Swedes think they are better than anyone else. Norwegians are all nature-freaks who live in cottages with no electricity (by choice) and go mountain climbing on a daily basis.

Finns, smart? Haha, in your dreams. On the other hand I live in the countryside so I only know the countryside idiots. And there seem to be the same kind of idiots in any country. But suicidal, yes, we seem to be. I mean, not like we approve of it, not like we like it, but we're pretty high in those lists. People get depressed. And dark and sad music is popular, if it's not an airhead hit song in English, it'll be a love song where someone's dead or far away, or one criticizing the society. :D

What do other countries' people think of Russia by the way? Finnish people think they're all loud and arrogant upstarts who come to Finland to shop and look down on Finns. And all love their country even though it sucks and they know it. But I wonder, what do the people whose country hasn't had a horrible war with them think?

Archived