Reflections on a year studying Asexuality [2010]

Yellow Fish

Well, here's one for the very positive reception column. With some quite interesting thoughts in there, too:

Nowadays most people know someone from the LGBT community and, in many cases, this acquaintance forces them (at least fleetingly) to think about their own sexuality and what it means to them. What would happen if most people knew someone from the asexual community? I think, or at least hope, it would lead the rest of us to think more deeply about sex and in the process clarify where it stands for us in relation to romance and love. In short it would help us all to be a bit clearer about what matters to us and why. Perhaps then we’d all see that there’s more to life than sex and, more to the point, we’d be a lot clearer about what that ‘more’ is.

http://markcarrigan.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/reflections-on-a-year-spent-studying-asexuality/

[Also published in "The Most Cake" (a London and Lesbian focused web-zine): http://themostcake.co.uk/love-life/there’s-more-to-life-than-sex/ ]

Lord Happy Toast

Right now, Mark is one of the most active people involved in studying asexuality. He doesn't have any published papers on the subject as of right now, but I believe he has two in press, one of which I believe should be published next month, and he's working on more. He also created an email list for people studying asexuality, has gotten a published to accept a book proposal for an edited volume about asexuality (for which he is one of the editors); he was also a major force behind getting approved a special issue of the journal Psychology and Sexuality about asexuality. (Speaking of which, I need to go work on my paper for that, as drafts are due soon.)

He and fellow PT member michaeld have been doing some important vis/ed work together as well.

The piece that you've linked was republished in an online magazine, and not long afterwards so was a piece that I wrote for that magazine. There was a post about these two pieces back in September, but it didn't start up much discussion.

Urgs. Yeah. I scanned posts here since mid December (when the blog entry was posted) to avoid this happening, but failed to notice that the original article went up a year ago. Whoops. Sorry for what amounts to a repeat topic then :].

It's still nice, regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, long time no visit. This is a great find. I'm very happy this has come to my attention, and I will continue to look out for Mark's work. He seems to have very similar interests to mine (my heart fluttered when I read about his love for Chantel Mouffe).

How awesome! I do love Mark's work, I'll be keeping my eye out for more.

And I just love the fact that it's on a blog called "The Most Cake" :cake: