Amelie

Selie

Just got back from seeing this movie with my best friend. Wow, it was great. It also managed to have sex in it in a very ... nonsensual way? Like, okay, people do that, but that's that. The main character even says at one point something like "I tried having boyfriends but it just didn't do anything for me", something along those lines. I thought of this group of people and thought it was very nice that a movie mentioned such a thing.

It was just a great film, all this aside.

I'm also too tired to form anything coherent, sorry...

I absolutely loved Amelie, I actually related to the way she viewed sex and relationships. I loved how she wants finding 'the one' to be adventurous and fun (and she likes romance), oh and how she takes pleasure from going around touching other people's lives and making them better without them knowing. They're all things that show that she's not motivated by sex when she seeks out contact with other people (even with the grunty all the people having sex scenes and the asexual lines aside).

It's a very cute film.

Oh and we should have a media watch section on this site -- somewhere people can post sightings of explicitly asexual characters or material in flims, TV shows, books, comics etc.

...and an asexual humour section :)

For now lets have humor in the open mic section. I've made a media/web watch area (I just don't want an overflow of forums..)

As for Amelie I definitely agree. While their relationship was eventually sexual it wasn't ABOUT sexuality, it was about this great sort of game they played, and the sexuality in the end was just sort of tacked on as another thing to do. It would have made as much sense (if not more) for them to go back and play some game or dance or paint or sleep (as in actually sleep) together. This is definitely a stark contrast from the norm where relationships are from scene 1 about sexual attraction/tension and relationship devleopment consists mostly of characters kissing/sleeping together. The orgasm scene in the beginning was adorable, I thought, and not necessarily sexual (in fact, she had a remarkably removed curiosity about such things, as if an orgasm seemed sort of adorable but a mite too inconveneint.)

P.S. If you want a great parody of sexual relationships watch the kissing scene at the beginning of "But I'm a Cheerleader." The main character sits there uncomfortably while her boyfriend literally slobbers all over the area around her moth. I was cracking up...

I'm not trying to be antisexual, most sexual people I know will admit that when you get down to it its all a bit silly...

Amelie... sort of bored me. Perhaps I just have a short attention span and expect to be entertained for every second of a movie, I don't know. I just found the whole movie really hard to get through. I did note her detachment/amusement durning sex but didn't really relate her to myself.

Archived