1. 1. How many languages do you speak?

• 6+

This poll is closed to new votes

English

French

German

Russian (not fantastically)

Italian (not fantastically)

I can understand written Portuguese as well, but I can't speeak or write it, so voted for five.

• 3 weeks later...

I speak English and Tagalog (Filipino). Some Spanish too, but not very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose 1 because I'm only really fluent in English.

Being educated in Canada, I learned some (Canadian) French in school, but stopped after grade 9. As a result, I've forgotten most of what I learned but still remember bits and pieces of it, enough to sort of get the gist of things if I listen carefully enough or if I have something written in French.

On the side, I know a few words/phrases in Tagalog (because of my mom) and Japanese (because of anime and my paternal grandparents).

I wish I knew more languages but I just don't pick them up very well.

MidnightFrog

The only language that I can speak is English. Though I do have a few words of Irish and French. Conas a ta tu? (How are you? In Irish).

CrazyCatLover

I speak English and German fluently (in fact, I've taught both). I'm learning Thai, but don't speak it very well yet. I can understand some Esperanto, Navajo, and Spanish. Essentially though, I only speak two languages (give me another year in Thailand and that'll go up to three though).

Despite my Linguistics degree, I'm not really any great stakes at learning languages (I can tell you exactly why they use a given grammatical formation though).

As well as English, I know enough French to get by. I was rather chuffed earlier this year when I spent a week in Montreal and only spoke French the whole time I was in the hotel.

I did German at school but can only remember nonsense like "Mein kartoffelkopf ist kaput" ("My potato head is broken"). I've tried to learn a bit of Dutch recently, having visited the Netherlands and Flemish-speaking Belgium a few times recently, but struggle past "Godedag, hoe geht het mit je?" ("Hello, how are you?")

Mr_Charles

I put 3: English is my first language, I speak good German, and I can handle a conversation in French fairly effectively, though without any elegance whatsoever.

Rubber Bullets

English and I can express myself pretty well in french and hold a conversation, which is better than a lot of high school students.

• 1 month later...

2:

English

Esperanto

Currently Learning 2:

Japanese (@ school)

Tuvan (teaching myself)

Hoping to learn 4:

Finnish

Russian

Mongolian

Abkhaz

I speak Italian as mother tongue, little English, a little bit more fluently French and very little Chinese. I began to study this last one at university a year ago.

Currently two, English and French, by the graces of having lived in Quebec all my life, my reading and writing of french is near perfect, and I'm fluent in speaking French, to the point that people have assumed I'm monolingual French, though I'm not overly comfortable speaking it.

I know a smattering of Spanish, and I'm probably going to be studying Italian in the next two years.

• 2 weeks later...

I know english, some french, a little latin, a tiny bit of spanish (just from hearing the people around me speak it), and a little bit of japanese (not enough to hold a conversation, though). I'm only really fluent in english, of course

Cutter Pillow

English, Filipino and my local dialect, Visayan.

I curse in Spanish and fluent in Sarcasm.

Can I add ASL? 'Cause I use it to drive salespersons away.

• 2 weeks later...

Actively fluent just in German (native) and English. Pretty good at passive Dutch (understand it almost completely, both spoken and written, but can't actively speak it myself). Getting by at reading Latin and French, but only if I have a dictionary at hand.

Kitty Spoon Train

Practically, only English and Croatian (ie 2).

Technically, also Serbian and Bosnian - if you count them as separate. But they are so close to Croatian - after they were all standardised into "Serbo-Croatian" during the Yugoslav era that they're all mostly mutually intelligible these days. So it's kinda cheating to call them all totally separate. :lol:

Other than this - I can also mostly understand written Slovenian, and understand basic speech as well - but not speak it.

Also: having grown up in Europe, I have a small smattering of basic phrasebook knowledge of most of the major European languages. But not to anything like a functional level. Currently learning Spanish, but still not conversational.

Notte stellata

Mandarin and English. I can speak Shanghai dialect too, but I don't count it as a separate one - the grammar is basically the same as Mandarin, just the pronunciations are vastly different.

Also learned a little bit German years ago, but that counts as 0.05 language for me at most. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Croatian is my native language (so I'm technically fluent in Serbian and can communicate in Slovenian and Macedonian, but I won't count them, I'd consider it cheating since they're so similar), English, my 'second' native language (I've been learning since I was 6, I consider it a native language!), German (fluent), Latin (I don't consider this cheating! I was 6th on a state competition after only 2 years of learning, hard work!). But I won't count a year of Russian (basic communication - it has numerous 'false friends' with Croatian, I didn't want to work hard on it).

I love languages. If I had the time I'd learn Hungarian, French and I'd learn Russian properly. Hopefully I will, one day.

Jesper Carlten

Five, but not really.

I speak German as my mothertongue, English fluidly, I can translate Latin (got my big Latinum, which is the exam you have to take) and I`m learning Spanish and Japanese at the moment.

Canadian schools are so great!

I speak English/Middle English/Old English, Enochian, some Miwok, Spanish and a little bit of Cherokee. I strongly support the Endangered Languages Project. I can also read some hieroglyphics.

I want to learn German and Mandarin if I ever find the motivation.

I speak English and Filipino. A bit of Spanish as well since our native language was influenced by it. I can also speak 1337/leet, but I don't think that's considered a real language. I used to study Fuk Yen when I was 4, but I stopped for some reason, and now I've forgotten almost everything I learned LOL. All in all, I voted 2 only.

English and Spanish. I understand other languages (especially written) but I can't speak them so I don't count them. So, just two.

I would love to learn a third, though.

• 3 weeks later...
earlymorningechoes

I marked three...but only English is fluent. I'm more than passable in German, except it's fading fast because I never have a chance to use it. My Arabic is still pretty cruddy, but it's getting up there as I spend more time forcing myself to learn the vocab each chapter in class.

I've also studied ASL, Japanese, Mandarin, French, and Spanish, but I couldn't talk to you in any of those.

WhenSummersGone

Just English, so 1. I'm a terrible learner so learning another language has been quite difficult.

Archived