Photo

How many languages do you speak?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic

Poll: How many languages do you speak? (465 member(s) have cast votes)

How many languages do you speak?

1. 1 (129 votes [27.74%])

Percentage of vote: 27.74%

2. Voted 2 (178 votes [38.28%])

Percentage of vote: 38.28%

3. 3 (103 votes [22.15%])

Percentage of vote: 22.15%

4. 4 (37 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

5. 5 (10 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

6. 6+ (8 votes [1.72%])

Percentage of vote: 1.72%

Vote

#1 SillyLily

SillyLily

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 199 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Heteroromantic Asexual; possibly demi

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

How many folks here on AVEN are bilingual or multilingual? I guess Esperanto, Lojban, etc. count as languages (if anyone here speaks them) because they have structure.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can communicate effectively to someone in that language, you speak it. For example, English is my native language but I'm making grammar errors and learning new words all of the time.

But yeah, I just want to know how many languages you can speak. I can speak English and Spanish. I can understand German and I'm learning Esperanto.
Posted Image

"Better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied."- J.S. Mill

//no

Light travels faster than sound. This is why I appear bright until you hear me speak.

#2 Chickenpede

Chickenpede

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 500 posts
  • A/Sexuality:homoromantic asexual, maybe demisexual

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

I answered 3, but it's more like 3.1, since I am learning Japanese and already speak English, Italian, and Spanish.
"not really very much later than now."
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: the fear of long words. Go look it up!
"I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone." -GLaDOS

#3 NothingHere

NothingHere

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 221 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

I speak like 1.5 I guess because I speak English, but am also learning Esperanto and Norwegian. I voted one though, 'cause I'm only fluent in English at this point.

#4 ------

------

AVENger

• AVEN Members
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

Does Klingon count?

#5 Bero

Bero

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 506 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic ace

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

By "speak," do you mean fluently, or can hold a decent conversation/say most anything you want to with circumlocution and all that jazz?
"If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never truly be fulfilled. [...] Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." ~Lao Tzu

"Do not be concerned that no one has heard of you, but rather strive to become a person worthy of being known." ~Confucius

Ich kann nicht Deutsch. Ichn spriche tiutsch. 僕は日本語を話せない。 N fidir m Gaeilge a labhairt. Ic ne spece Englisc. I don't speak English. :D

#6 Baroness Peron

Baroness Peron

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

I rounded up to 2, even though I only speak 1.5. My comprehension of German is pretty darn good (particularly reading comprehension) but my speaking is survival level at best.

#7 ily

ily

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,711 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

I speak English, a little Spanish (although I'm barely conversational) and a tiny bit of Japanese (sad because I studied it for 3 years). I really want to get up to 2 languages spoken, but I'm not sure how to motivate myself. It would be useful to speak Spanish more fluently, but I don't *need* to, so it always ends up being something that gets pushed to the back burner. :( I used to be extremely passionate about learning Japanese, but my interest faded. So I'm also not sure which language to choose as my #2; something I've already started with, or something else entirely. Ay dios mio.

asexy beast, the blog (archives)

adventures in unemployment, the zine

"I was chaste to the point of rudeness."--Hippolytus

#8 Slavaa

Slavaa

Amoeba

• AVEN Members
  • 59 posts
  • A/Sexuality:let's just go with this http://asofterworld.com/index.php?id=663

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

Being Canadian, I am almost required by law to know French and English. My French isn't amazing, but it's certainly passable.
Trying to learn Dvorak makes me feel athuhatnhuahuthtoahuetahtnuthatehut

#9 The Doctor Who?

The Doctor Who?

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 176 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual & Aromantic

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

1) English
@) French
3) Latin (well, I don't SPEAK.. :P)
4) Sign Language
:D x
"Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically... run."

"Hey, assbutt!"

Bloggin'

#10 Flying Hazels

Flying Hazels

Asexy

• AVEN Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

1) English
2)Polish
3)Icelandic

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! YOU NEED TO REVISE THIS...YOU CAN'T SAY THAT.
THERE'S TOO MUCH TEXT HERE....
DO YOU LOVE MY CRUMMY SIGNATURE?

#11 gbrd143

gbrd143

Asexy Authoritay!

• AVEN Members
  • 8,350 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Flamin' Asexual! YEAH, baby!!

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

English, and some very rusty Spanish. Not fluent, though. (I like the term: "survival level" :) )

-gb
Brought to you by:Posted Image
Greybird's Gallery of Death
and by

APositive!

#12 Human

Human

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 330 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

1) English
@) French
3) Latin (well, I don't SPEAK.. :P)
4) Sign Language
:D x

What sign language? ASL? BSL? Some other?

EDIT: Might as well post list of languages i can speak.

1) finnish, native language
2) english, fluent
3) swedish, fluent
4) french, at a level where i could propably handle a simple conversation
5) latin, i don't speak it but i understand it
6) scots, if you don't count it as english dialect

And the first ones on my very long list of languages i want to learn are finnish sign language, greenlandic, spanish and nahuatl, both classical and modern (i know some classical nahuatl, but only VERY little).
"I'm alive" ~Aleksis Kivi's last words

"To write history one must be more than a man, since the author who holds the pen of this great justiciary must be free from all preoccupation of interest or vanity." ~Napoleon Bonaparte

"God is dead" ~Friedrich Nietzsche, 1882.
"Nietzsche is dead" ~God, 1900.

"The world's governments are scared, they don't want the people to know that international politics is just a scaled up version of what goes on in school playgrounds worldwide." ~Herr Joseph von Lthing

#13 Nt.

Nt.

Avengelical Prophet

• Validating
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

I can speak Japanese and Spanish, both at rudimentary levels (though my Spanish is the least rudimentary of the two).

"[T]he future isn't a boot stamping on a human face, forever. It's a person in a beige business outfit advocating beige policies that nobody wants (but nobody can quite articulate a coherent alternative to) with a false mandate obtained by performing rituals of representative democracy that offer as much actual choice as a Stalinist one-party state. And resistance is futile, because if you succeed in overthrowing the beige dictatorship, you will become that which you opposed."

--Charlie Stross

"Remember to stay hydrated."

--Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect

#14 Ignotus

Ignotus

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

well ..
Swedish, English, Arabic, French,Swahilli, German and a little japanese but i can undestand a few words from korean too ^__^
:cake:

#15 henrik

henrik

Too Asexy for this Site

• AVEN Members
  • 633 posts
  • A/Sexuality:A

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Only Finnish and English in my case. I'd like to know more, but it has not been meant to be so far.
Check out the asexuality podcast: A Life
Read my regular column on AVENues

#16 XxFallenAngelxX

XxFallenAngelxX

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual >:3

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

i only speak english fluently... but i've had a few crappy conversations in spanish too, lol. i know spanish, but i suck at it.
n.n

#17 SillyLily

SillyLily

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 199 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Heteroromantic Asexual; possibly demi

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

By "speak," do you mean fluently, or can hold a decent conversation/say most anything you want to with circumlocution and all that jazz?

Enough to hold a decent conversation.
Posted Image

"Better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied."- J.S. Mill

//no

Light travels faster than sound. This is why I appear bright until you hear me speak.

#18 Tashishka

Tashishka

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 510 posts
  • A/Sexuality:a sometimes romantic asexual

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

I'm a native English speaker and am (apparently) fluent in French and German. I've been studying them for around 10 years now so should be pretty darned fluent. I seem to have a decent enough grasp of French to survive living in and going to uni in France for six months. :P

I can also hold my own in Spanish and Italian, though my level of fluency is nowhere near that of my French and German as I have only been studying them for 3 years. Granted they have been 3 very intense years meaning that I am now around a-level standard in them, but still. Give me French and German over those two any day :P

I also know a little Dutch (i.e. Survival level. My conversational skills are lacking, but my reading and oral comprehension are pretty good) and some Norwegian. I dabble in Scots and Irish Gaelic along with Russian, but those three are a side project for me at the moment. I have no idea when Scots or Irish Gaelic would be all that useful, it just seemed like a good idea. I have a rudimentary grasp of BSL too as one of my best friends siblings is deaf and I figured I should learn, rather than just depending on her ability to lip read.
"I've got this friend. He says the human condition, human nature, being human, is to be cold and alone. Like someone lost in the woods... safe to say he's a 'glass-half-empty' kinda guy."
Mitchell (Being Human)

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting."
Third Doctor (The Time Warrior, 1973)

"To me, someone's sexuality is usually the least interesting thing about them. It's secondary. The only reason it becomes a source for dramatic storytelling is because people have made such an issue out of it."
Cillian Murphy

#19 Dylan-Michael

Dylan-Michael

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 805 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic-Asexual

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

Native English, and decent Spanish.

I'm your Everyday Asexual-Catholic-Colourblind-Teen.

Posted Image

#20 Shockwave

Shockwave

Old Fogey

• AVEN Members
  • 8,847 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Metro-asexual.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

I'm fluent in English and ASL, to the point that I was a professional interpreter for a year. Other than that I have limited knowledge of Spanish and German. So I voted 2.

#21 Wedge

Wedge

Amoeba

• AVEN Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

My main language is English, although I do know some German, and a very small amount of Arabic.
Sometimes the best defense is an insane offense

See my pictures at: http://macorin.deviantart.com

#22 Jockey

Jockey

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 809 posts
  • A/Sexuality:I don't know. Not interested in having sex, though.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:33 AM

English is my first language.
Hebrew used to be my most comfortable language, enough so that my teachers after my family moved back to the US thought English was my second language.
I'm sort of fascinated by ASL and can hold a conversation in it. Occasionally I even act as unpaid interpreter in informal settings, but I don't think I do justice to what people are saying when I do.
I also know some basic Spanish, Arabic, Aramaic, French, Latin and Chinese. Chinese I can recognize a lot of characters in but really can't speak or understand because my ability to hear and speak tones is awful.
Little dude in a big world trying to take in everything.

#23 La Diablesse

La Diablesse

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Grey romantic Asexual

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Do dialects count ? Because I can speak Jamaican and Trinidadian dialects.

Other than that I can speak standard English , Spanish and semi fluent in Japanese.
So I chose 5.
Posted Image

#24 Marco - Proprietor of Doom

Marco - Proprietor of Doom

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 510 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demi

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

Just English, with a tiny understanding of German and some Irish(as though that is a use to anyone).
Posted Image

#25 Duva

Duva

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

I think it's hard to draw any clear lines of when I can speak a language or not, and even of course what a language is... As for me, Swedish is my first language and I dare say I'm fluent in English as well. Spanish I read without big problems, understand it spoken slightly less and speak ok I guess. Latin I read well, write well and could in theory carry on conversations on I'd guess. Ancient Greek (at least Attic, Ionian and Koiné) I read quite well and I can write quite well, if I have some time. I can also read Church Slavonic and a bit of Old French (Langue d'Oïl) quite well.

But I can also carry on conversations with Danes and Norwegians with no problems, I can understand (especially written) parts of German and Dutch (even get some meaning across myself), I can communicate a bit with Italians and I've found that at least written but also a bit spoken I do indeed understand in part all Romance languages (Portuguese, Catalan, Galician, Ligurian, Venetian, Romanian, French, Occitan etc).

So, basically I'm not sure whether I should answer 2 or 6+ in this poll ;)
"All disasters stem from us. Why is there war? Perhaps because now and then I might be inclined to snap at my neighbour. Because I and my neighbour and everyone else do not have enough love. Yet we could fight war and all its excrescences by releasing, each day, the love that is shackled inside us, and giving it a chance to live. And I believe that I will never be able to hate any human being for his so-called wickedness, that I shall only hate the evil that is within me, though hate is perhaps putting it too strongly even then. In any case, we cannot be lax enough in what we demand of others and strict enough in what we demand of ourselves."
- Etty Hillesum

#26 LKtheGreat

LKtheGreat

• AVEN Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

I answered three. English: Very fluent. Spanish: Passable reading, acceptable-not-great writing with a dictionary at hand, hopeless speaking/listening. My conlang: Well, I'm fluent in what there is! :P But I'm working at expanding it, so...

#27 Blind.Archer

Blind.Archer

• AVEN Members
  • 41 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Transromantic Asexual

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

English, Japanese, and Sindarin. Some Quenya. If you count those last two, that is. Oh, and I can speak a lil bit of spanish..but not enoug to count.

#28 Vhin

Vhin

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

I'm torn between selecting four or five.

I can speak:
English
Spanish
Chinese
Japanese

However, I do know one other "language" - braille. But I don't know if I should put it because it's just a different representation of English characters.

#29 < retired >

< retired >

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

Well, let's see, fluent in:
- BASIC
- FORTRAN
- Pascal
- Assembly languages - 6502 / 68000 (processors popular before most folks on this board were born)
- C

Some exposure to:
- Matlab
- C++
- Java

No exposure to:
- Cobol

If you meant human-human rather than human-machine languages:
- English
- can read French fairly well, can massacre it with ease while speaking it
- a bit of Swedish and Danish
:)

#30 Nemisor

Nemisor

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 204 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Panromantic/Aromantic Asexual

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

I speak Finnish (my native tongue), English (studied for 8 year), and a little bit of French (studied for five years, not studying anymore) & Swedish (studied for five years). I can understand little bit of Estonian and Spanish too.
For a minute there, I lost myself.
-
"No, not that name. You're not a snake, and I'm not an ocelot. We're men with names. My name is Adamska. What's yours?" -Ocelot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users