Jewish Asexuals

davidj11

שלום

I am a 24 year old Jewish guy, who is asexul and I am trying to find a Jewish girl who feels similar.

אני גם מדבר עברית

א-מיניים

א-מיניות

Try Acebook.com. You might find a Jewish asexual girl there.

I am not looking specifically for a woman but am specifically looking for jewish and asexual. So far no luck on acebook. But there is a Jewish group there.

שלום, אני ישראלי יהודי אתאיסט, נולדתי ליהודים אבל אין לי כל זיקה שהיא לדת ואני מתרחק ממנה באופן פעיל.

הייתי רוצה לדעת מדוע כ"כ חשוב לכם למצוא יהודי/ה.

Hey there, I'm a Jewish Israeli Atheist, I was born into a Jewish family, but I don't identify with Judaism and actively stay away from the religion.

I'd like to know why finding another Jew is so important to you.

הייתי רוצה לדעת מדוע כ"כ חשוב לכם למצוא יהודי/ה.

I'd like to know why finding another Jew is so important to you.

Since that was a you plural, I'll assume you're asking me. It's because I want a kosher, shomer shabbes household.

David, from what I can see, there are only about 4 Jews on AVEN who identify themselves as such and again from what I can see we're not orthodox or in your age group. This really isn't the right place to find one. Also, this category (Asexual Relationships) is for people who are in relationships or want to talk about them, not to look for them. Sorry.

David, from what I can see, there are only about 4 Jews on AVEN who identify themselves as such and again from what I can see we're not orthodox or in your age group.

I'm orthodox and in his age group, I'm just not female.

David, from what I can see, there are only about 4 Jews on AVEN who identify themselves as such and again from what I can see we're not orthodox or in your age group.

I'm orthodox and in his age group, I'm just not female.

Oy. :blush:

David, from what I can see, there are only about 4 Jews on AVEN who identify themselves as such and again from what I can see we're not orthodox or in your age group. This really isn't the right place to find one. Also, this category (Asexual Relationships) is for people who are in relationships or want to talk about them, not to look for them. Sorry.

I don't identify as a Jew, I just happen to be one.

• 4 months later...

I'm a 23 year old Jewish female asexual. While I'm looking for an asexual male of any religion, Jewish is a plus.

Lady Heartilly

I'm a 24-year-old Jewish asexual, but I'm taken, and I'm also an atheist. I identify with Judaism more than any other religion because it was how I was brought up, and I did have a Bat Mitzvah, but I simply don't believe that there's an all-powerful overlord watching over everyone. Still, I'm pretty sure there's more than 4 Jews on here. I mean, I just find it unlikely that that's all there is. Plenty of people are Jewish, and therefore plenty of asexuals probably are as well.

You're going to have some trouble if you're Orthodox, because they generally are expected to at least try to have children. Talk to your rabbi about it.

Definitely more than four asexual Jews here... I'm a Jewish athiest (Jewish by culture, just not by religion), although religion in a relationship only matters to my mom and grandmother, not to me. I've found that, in my family at least, it's really "expected" of me, as the oldest female in the family, to settle down, marry, and have children, which is why my parents don't know that I'm asexual, because it would probably break their hearts.

My dad was a rabbi, but we're reform. Also I don't identify with Judaism anymore for various reasons (some due to disliking organized religion in general, some due to Judaism itself)

BTW happy passover to everyone who is celebrating.

So, at the risk of annoying some other Jews, here's the 3-second Pesach Hagaddah:

They tried to kill us, we escaped, let's eat.

Oooh, yay, a Jews forum! (sorry, I love meeting everyone here, of all religious or non-religious backgrounds; it's just also exciting to find this forum)

Hi everyone!

Oooh, yay, a Jews forum! (sorry, I love meeting everyone here, of all religious or non-religious backgrounds; it's just also exciting to find this forum)

Well, naturally. Jews rock, after all (based on the grand total of six I've ever met . . . . plus the Hasidic music. Dear God, at the Seder I'm going to on Wednesday, let there be Hasidic music!)

So, at the risk of annoying some other Jews, here's the 3-second Pesach Hagaddah:

They tried to kill us, we escaped, let's eat.

So true.

Well, naturally. Jews rock, after all (based on the grand total of six I've ever met . . . . plus the Hasidic music. Dear God, at the Seder I'm going to on Wednesday, let there be Hasidic music!)

Don't think so. But there may have been klezmer music.

Don't think so. But there may have been klezmer music.

Is it incorrect to refer to klezmer as Hasidic music? I was of the understanding that it originated with the Hasidim? There seems (to an amateur) be so much overlap as to virtually do away with the distinction. Or maybe there's just an exaggerated association from the outside looking in.

Forgive my ignorance! :redface:

Is it incorrect to refer to klezmer as Hasidic music? I was of the understanding that it originated with the Hasidim?

Klezmer is the yiddish word for music and refers to a musical style that was common once in much of Jewish Europe. Its geographical origins overlap a bit with the origins of Hassidus. But most klezmerim then and now were not Hasiddim, and modern klezmerim tend to be more on the secular side. My understanding of klezmer music is that it always has instruments. There are klezmer songs about all sorts of topics.

Hassidic music encompasses a lot but is almost by definition religious. It is often vocal tunes and/or the sort of stuff you use for meditative purposes. There are various styles of hassidish music.

Mostly Music, an online and New York Jewish music store and radio station, has on it's site a classification of music and hassidish is one category while klezmer/jazz is another- if you look on the website and listen to the music samples you might better understand the differences.

By the way, I've been to many seders where hasidic songs or tunes were sung, but nary a one with klezmer.

By the way, I've been to many seders where hasidic songs or tunes were sung, but nary a one with klezmer.

There are seders now given by Christians and they do all sorts of things at them (some of which are not exactly traditional).

Mostly Music, an online and New York Jewish music store and radio station, has on it's site a classification of music and hassidish is one category while klezmer/jazz is another- if you look on the website and listen to the music samples you might better understand the differences.

Okay, thank you so much! And having listened to the samples, it turns out my original comment carried the correct intention - I hope there is Hasidic music! The Seder in question is being organised by Jews, so no fear Sally! We Christians are keeping our unpractised hands off this one! :lol:

Can I ask you all a question? (That's my way of saying: I'm sorry if it's too personal a question or too nosy! Just really curious, in thinking about my own experiences...)

To what extent has being Jewish impacted your thoughts on the subject of asexulaity/sexuality? Did it make you more or less comfortable with yourself, did it make it harder or easier to talk to family and friends about the subject, did it make you more or less confused about what asexuality and sexuality actually are and which one you most relate to?

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts on the matter; but no pressure, really!

Can I ask you all a question? (That's my way of saying: I'm sorry if it's too personal a question or too nosy! Just really curious, in thinking about my own experiences...)

To what extent has being Jewish impacted your thoughts on the subject of asexulaity/sexuality? Did it make you more or less comfortable with yourself, did it make it harder or easier to talk to family and friends about the subject, did it make you more or less confused about what asexuality and sexuality actually are and which one you most relate to?

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts on the matter; but no pressure, really!

Well, for me at least it hasn't, literally at all. They are two completely separate (important) things in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, I am not Orthodox. I am not sure why people here got that impression.

I am Jewish by culture but not so much by religion. In saying that, I am happy to meet either an Orthodox or non-Orthodox person.

שלום

I am a 24 year old Jewish guy, who is asexul and I am trying to find a Jewish girl who feels similar.

אני גם מדבר עברית

א-מיניים

Just to clarify, I am not Orthodox. I am not sure why people here got that impression.

Because you want to have a kosher shomer shabbes life. That usually doesn't mean Reform or non-religious.

What makes you think that I want a kosher shomer shabbes life?

Because you want to have a kosher shomer shabbes life. That usually doesn't mean Reform or non-religious.

Archived