Asexuality workshop at Warwick uni

michaeld

Nosos and I are giving an interactive workshop tomorrow at Warwick uni, as part of its LGBTUA awareness week! It's from 5-6pm in the Ramphal building: R103. Anyone in the Coventry area? You would be most welcome to come along. :D

Warwick, just down the road but I'd stick out like a sore thumb (I mean there's mature student and a 'well past it's 'Use By Date' student ;) (plus I have to work)

I wish you luck though :D

I'm so old I'm not even a student of any description! :)

Really? I didn't know you lived close. I live in Cannon park, about 10 mins' walk from Warwick uni. Although you're right that most people will be in their 20s, they are an extremely accepting society... But if you gotta work that's a different matter!

Oh! In that case, what's down the road is Warwick town, not Warwick uni. Somewhat confusingly, Warwick uni is not in Warwick town but is in Coventry instead. It's still not far from Banbury - maybe 30 miles? - but no longer "just down the road".

Oh! In that case, what's down the road is Warwick town, not Warwick uni. Somewhat confusingly, Warwick uni is not in Warwick town but is in Coventry instead. It's still not far from Banbury - maybe 30 miles? - but no longer "just down the road".

:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: 'For I am a bear of very little brain' said Pooh, 'and easily confused'

*But how did it go? *

Overall I think it went pretty well. We got lots of questions at the end and a number of nice comments. I think we did a good job of getting across the sheer diversity in the asexual community - something especially important given I was the only asexy representative doing the presentation and, as a highly repulsed asexual, being somewhat atypical of the community myself.

There were some things I wish I'd been able to explain more eloquently. I was pretty tired, and I think I talked a bit faster and more unclearly than I'd have liked really. The interactive activities we planned didn't work out as well as we were hoping. It was hard to get people involved. And I nearly wrecked the whiteboard at the front by writing on it with a permanent marker! (In my department we have blackboard and chalk; whiteboards and markers just really confuse me!) Oh well, it worked out in the end so I can laugh about it now.

Ha! I don't drink coffee! But I'm now at a conference in Germany, which has lots and lots of :cake: :cake: :cake:, so that'll do fine!

I do love my Hot Lava Java but mainly drink peppermint tea (I have stomach trouble and peppermint is so soothing). I'm glad it went well overall, although, as you're used to giving presentations, you may feel a bit cross with yourself if it wasn't up to your usual standard. However, keep in mind that the majority of us wouldn't be able to stand up in front of an 'audience'.

*Is jealous of the trips overseas... :ph34r: *

It was totally awesome!

2.JPG

And here's a pic of me standing next to a Boy surface, that is an immersion of the 3 dimensional real projective plane into Euclidean 3-space, as constructed by Werner Boy in 1901.

P1000310.JPG

It was totally awesome!

2.JPG

I was cold before I saw that picture....now I'm suffering from hypothermia