Is it worth getting hormone levels checked?

So, I've done a little bit of searching on these forums... and it seems to me that most people say that many asexuals here are not affected by a hormonal imbalance. But, if your hormones are out of whack, you generally have a decreased sex drive.

Now, I speculate that I might have a hormonal imbalance, but is it really worth getting checked? It's not like I'm in any immediate danger or anything. Eh... I guess this might not be the best place to ask.

I don't know. :/

Well, we do define asexuality as lack of sexual attraction and many of us have sex drives alongside that lack, so for many of us we know that it isn't our sex drives because they are present. If someone has no sex drive, I can imagine how it might be at the back of their minds that the lack of sex drive could be related to not feeling sexual attraction and if that's the case for you, for your peace of mind you might wish to try it- as well as that, having a normal hormone test is something that you can wave in doubters' faces (on the other side though, if you have abnormal hormones, that will be obviously +1 for doubters).

I'd say it's probably not worth it unless it's worth it to you for peace of mind, as Acer said, or whatever. (As hormone imbalances can indicate other health issues.) I think hormones have the ability to affect one's sex drive, but not one's orientation/target of their sexual attraction. And even if your hormones are out of whack, so to say, that doesn't necessarily mean it affects whether you're asexual or not. Sexual people have hormone imbalances, also.

I recently had my hormones checked (to make sure I didn't have certain hereditary health problems) and found out they're out of balance, but I don't feel it invalidates my identity as an asexual at all. Actually, now I can joke that even my core biology knows I have better things to do than focus on sex. :) Either way, even if I "fixed" that, it still wouldn't change what gender I'm attracted to: none.

Yeah, and I guess there's still time for my sexuality (or lack thereof) to develop. Maybe I'll get it checked out, but it's going to be years from now if I do. For now, I'll enjoy the :cake:. :D

Yeah, probably don't worry about getting them checked. I had mine checked ages ago because I have chronic fatigue syndrome, was low on testosterone, got it treated (which involves pumping up with testosterone injections in the butt, ouch!) and its back to normal levels. It didn't change my asexuality.

Looks like you're not too fussed so no need to worry about it. You could do it for curiosity's sake though.

You should definitely get tested if you feel something is wrong. I'm 1 for 2 on calling medical issues - most recently I got my hormones checked and there was nothing wrong (actually I had elevated Free T), but the time before I went to the ER for abnormal stomach pains and it was appendicitis.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying that you shouldn't put off a test, especially if it only takes a few minutes anyway. High chances are that there's nothing wrong anyway.

You should definitely get tested if you feel something is wrong. I'm 1 for 2 on calling medical issues - most recently I got my hormones checked and there was nothing wrong (actually I had elevated Free T), but the time before I went to the ER for abnormal stomach pains and it was appendicitis.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying that you shouldn't put off a test, especially if it only takes a few minutes anyway. High chances are that there's nothing wrong anyway.

Thanks for your concern, but it's nothing that would endanger my life. At worst, the imbalance may cause me to be infertile, but I have no problem in adopting children.

I was told by my therapist to get my hormone levels checked out when i told him i have no desire for sex. but i know i never will. if the only thing it's effecting is my sex drive, then i don't really care. I'm happy how i am, and i don't think i would be happier if i was sexually attracted to people.

Professor T. Pollution

Just to echo what others have said, I don't think it's necessary (unless your sex drive decreased suddenly or drastically, which it doesn't sound like it did). I got mine checked for reasons not related to libido, and I'm normal (actually had slightly elevated testosterone levels).

Additionally, I now take testosterone (bringing it up to the level of a hormonally normal male), and my asexuality has not changed at all, even though my practically non-existant libido has increased veeery slightly.

Hopefully that was not too much personal info, but it's relevant. Basically, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think there actually is a problem (and low sex drive is not a great indicator of hormonal imbalance anyway — there are often other symptoms that go along with any change in hormones. Human hormones are not as multi-purpose as, say, plant hormones, but they don't just do one thing either).

Just to echo what others have said, I don't think it's necessary (unless your sex drive decreased suddenly or drastically, which it doesn't sound like it did). I got mine checked for reasons not related to libido, and I'm normal (actually had slightly elevated testosterone levels).

Additionally, I now take testosterone (bringing it up to the level of a hormonally normal male), and my asexuality has not changed at all, even though my practically non-existant libido has increased veeery slightly.

Hopefully that was not too much personal info, but it's relevant. Basically, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think there actually is a problem (and low sex drive is not a great indicator of hormonal imbalance anyway — there are often other symptoms that go along with any change in hormones. Human hormones are not as multi-purpose as, say, plant hormones, but they don't just do one thing either).

Nah, that wasn't too much information. Thanks for sharing it with me. Though it is a little more than just no sexual desires, but there's nothing major. Besides, I really could just be a "late bloomer." Either way, it doesn't really matter. I'm sure that very sexual people can have hormonal imbalances also.

And I have to really agree with Asexy Sadie--I'm fairly happy the way I am and I don't really want hormone therapy to make me feel sexual.

Low estrogen levels would put you at dramatically increased risk for osteoporosis.

I went and had mine tested when I found AVEN. I wanted the piece of mind. I am exactly normal for testosterone. Like dead on the center. Doctor was quite surprised to see someone at the exact center.

It can be useful. i would say go ahead if your insurance would cover it.

Low estrogen levels would put you at dramatically increased risk for osteoporosis.

Thx for this info...I've decided I'm going to get tested for this reason. I suspect I have very low estrogen levels as I have little to NO libido! It could be due to my upbringing, etc but still likely low...I don't feel comfortable talking with my family doctor so I can go to my school's clinic I'd think for this...hopefully. Curious to see...are there pills or something you can take for increased estrogen? To be honest being so young I'm not sure it's worth it. An increased libido with no outlet for it would prob only frustrate me anyway :s

I also suspect my hormones are a bit wonky, I'm not androgynous but I lack several typical features so I might get them checked out. I wouldn't if it was just being ace, that doesn't bother me.

Thx for this info...I've decided I'm going to get tested for this reason. I suspect I have very low estrogen levels as I have little to NO libido! It could be due to my upbringing, etc but still likely low...I don't feel comfortable talking with my family doctor so I can go to my school's clinic I'd think for this...hopefully. Curious to see...are there pills or something you can take for increased estrogen? To be honest being so young I'm not sure it's worth it. An increased libido with no outlet for it would prob only frustrate me anyway :s

Ironically, what they'd probably put you on would be birth control. But there are plain estrogen pills.

And if you did develop a libido, you've got a ready made outlet in your hand.

i think if you are still unsure if you are asexual and feel you maybe through more of a physical situation than an orientation..and are unhappy with being asexual

then why not get them checked?

as to if the results come in and are low in estrogen or testosterone i would see a registered doc..or a councillor..see what they feel is the best current medical advice on how these would effect you then make a decision?

Ironically, what they'd probably put you on would be birth control. But there are plain estrogen pills.

And if you did develop a libido, you've got a ready made outlet in your hand.

Even in women, testosterone has more effect on libido than estrogen. And as said above, if you are not attracted to any other human being sexually, which could mean that you are asexual, increased libido is not going to cause you to become attracted.

Mine probably are out of balance. I used to take the Pill for PMS, and at one point when I complained to my doctor about the ongoing skin problems I was having she decided to try me on a contraceptive pill that was also an anti-androgen (hmm, when the last thing I want to do is to have to explain to my family that on top of everything else I also have an excess of male hormones...). The year or year and a half that I spent on it didn't change my feelings about sex at all, although when I look back I find that it did dull the edges of my gender expression in a way I don't particularly want to submit myself to any more (even though when I was actually on the pills I didn't think I was behaving in any way that was less-me than usual)...

I was on the pill for a few years for period pains, the only thing it changed otherwise was my weight.

Um why would they put me on the pill if my estrogen levels are too LOW? Doesn't the pill inhibit estrogen secretion? I could be wrong...but I was on the pill for maybe 2-3 months over the summer and I noticed no difference in my sex drive whatsoever. So if it boosted hormone levels I didn't really notice:/

My testosterone checked out as low, and the doctor prescribed a testosterone cream for it. That raised my sex drive, in that I masturbate more often, but it didn't make me any more interested in having sex with anyone.

Interesting...Teddy why do you still take the cream then? Is it a problem if your testosterone levels are too low, physically? I mean does that pose any health risks?

Um why would they put me on the pill if my estrogen levels are too LOW? Doesn't the pill inhibit estrogen secretion? I could be wrong...but I was on the pill for maybe 2-3 months over the summer and I noticed no difference in my sex drive whatsoever. So if it boosted hormone levels I didn't really notice:/

Estrogen doesn't raise your libido. Testosterone does (and yes, women produce it).

One gynecologist said in an interview (which was not related to asexuality) that as a rule of thumb, if a woman's periods are regular, then her hormones are normal.

If there's one thing I can say about mine, they are regular as clockwork. Good to know.

One gynecologist said in an interview (which was not related to asexuality) that as a rule of thumb, if a woman's periods are regular, then her hormones are normal.

Yup. One of the signs of beginning menopause (i.e., hormone disruption and finally cessation) is when they get really weird -- like none for several months or several in one month.

Basically, birth control pills work by putting a lot of estrogen/progesterone into your body, making your body think it is already pregnant, so you stop ovulating. No eggs available=no babeez. It would raise your overall female hormone levels.

Birth control pills actually reduce sex drive in some women. Never heard of it increasing sex drive but I guess it's possible for some people.

Since I've been on birth control pills for about 3 years, I think my sex drive has decreased somewhat from what it used to be, but as far as sexual attraction and things like that (which is ultimately more what asexuality, demisexuality, etc. are about), nothing's changed.