I know this has been tackled before, but i need help

Strange Little Girl

Strange Little Girl

I need to tell my parents. My mother knows of my 'i will never have children or get married because of sex' thing, but she thinks that it's just a phase that i'm going through. Even when i tell her that these 'child bearing hips won't be put to good use' she gives me that 'the right man will come along' speech and result in me blaring tori amos to calm myself down.

Ok, maybe i can deal with telling her that she'll have to get grandkids from my brothers wife, but what i don't think i can tell them is this: i'm biemotional. Meaning i can be emotionally involved with someone, but thats it...

and i think the double whammy may hit the Parental Units kinda hard...

Any suggestions? because my canvas is blank, and it needs color...

bard of aven

Have you tried googling "coming out to parents" (in quotes)? I am not suggesting it is the same as telling them you are gay. But I suspect there is a lot of crossover of the emotional and psychological issues. I suspect a lot of what is on some of the web pages will apply to or can be adapted to your biemotional, asexual situation. It's a place to start, anyway. Hope it helps.

boa

My parents beleive I'll grow out of it some day too. I just say "Okay, maybe I will." and leave it at that. But inside, I don't intend to grow out of it.

Tell them that you're still young and don't actually know yet whether or not you're going to have kids, but with modern adoption and turkey-baster technology you don't see your disinterest in dick as much of an obsticle. (Sorry I'm vulger, my classes have been assigning that kind of reading.)

As for getting married, site the 50% divorce rate and tell them that you'd rather form intimate relationships on your own terms.

Strange Little Girl

ooh. thanks ^^

and i don't mind the vulgarity, my vocabulary is *far* from pure myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just maintain. In 20 years, when you haven't married or had children, perhaps she'll get the message. And screw whomever you want, just don't have kids.

I need to tell my parents. My mother knows of my 'i will never have children or get married because of sex' thing, but she thinks that it's just a phase that i'm going through. Even when i tell her that these 'child bearing hips won't be put to good use' she gives me that 'the right man will come along' speech and result in me blaring tori amos to calm myself down.

What, exactly, do you need to tell her? Sounds like you've already told her that you don't intend to have sex, get married, or have children. The problem is that she doesn't believe you? Or that she keeps saying things about it that upset you?

There's really not a lot you can do about her beliefs. People believe what they want to believe.

How about putting some boundaries on discussion of the matter? Saying (calmly and in a non-hostile manner) something like, "I don't care to discuss this any further. It's a private matter," and then changing the subject to something else, might work. If not, you can (again, as calmly as possible) leave her presence, perhaps with a (calm and non-hostile) explanation such as, "I'm going to my room now. If you want to talk about something else, let me know."

I don't know. My parents never said anything to me about my lack of interest in dating or sex. Granted, I gave them a lot more to worry about (and try everything they could think of to influence me about), so maybe it just got lost in the chaos. Still, it seems to me a strange thing for parents in the 21st century to be badgering their offspring about.

Strange Little Girl

it's almost like my mother is telling me to go out and have sex... she's a weird one, my mother.

i guess she's worried about me. i'm not exactly the most 'girlish' girl imaginable... even though my body would tell me other wise [grumbles]

and these 'discussions' i have with her... she's the one who starts them... "So, when are you going to bring a nice boy home for us to meet hm?" and i give her the same responce, "Mom, i *dont* date, so i wont be bringing boys home for that matter" then ill get the "it's only a phase, you'll grow out of it," then my "phase? it's called hormones mom, you think they'd kick in by now, unless they decided to kick in when i was in 7th grade, leaving out the intrest in boys part until i was 'old enough'" then she'll become sore at me for doubting my 'girly-ness'

[rolls eyes] sometimes my mother is impossible. my father is pretty coll with it though, it's one less person he has to worry about, hurting his darling little girl. but he tells me he doesnt have to worry about me, having a daughter whose been taking martial arts since she was a little kidlet will do that to you, he tells me. he still worries though, so i guess thats cool.

wow, i am SUCH a rambler.

VivreEstEsperer

Don't worry about rambling...your father sounds cool, your mother sounds like a real pain though..I wish you luck.

Kate

Archived