National Coming Out Day: Follow up

+Lee

This is a follow up for National Coming Out Day thread I made: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/54617-national-coming-out-day-october-11th/

So, what did you do? How did people respond? Link/show/screencap what happened.

I might make a poll, but if I do that will be tomorrow, as that is when the event happens.

Please post what happened! :)

Thanks for posting this a day early, I was offline when the first thread was posted, so this would have gone unnoticed by me.

It's tomorrow.

Are we Brits going for tomorrow or is it Tuesday? And if the latter, why do we have to be different? :P

It's tomorrow.

Are we Brits going for tomorrow or is it Tuesday? And if the latter, why do we have to be different? :P

I'll probably do a status outing and leave it up for both days, no need to be picky.

TheChronicWanderer

I'm on the fence as well, I've officially come out to the people that matter to me, except my dad... And I'm kind of nervous to tell him.

I'll probably make a fb page tomorrow (today now...) stating both dates. Other than that, I'm not going to be out since I'm already out everywhere I go on the internet.

My school's QSA is holding an event-type thingy, so I think I'll go to that. And wear purple. And tell people my sexual orientation but only if they ask :P

I just wrote in my facebook status that I wear a black ring in my right middle finger.

carried in bags

enough people know about me, some colleages don't, or rather I've not told them. I have an asexy photo and activity page on FB too for anyone else

I just posted a full coming out. I'll let you know how it went tonight when I get home from work.

I just posted a full coming out. I'll let you know how it went tonight when I get home from work.

:) That's great! Good luck!

I just posted this status:

"It's National Coming Out day, so I'm coming out as Asexual. Please respond and/or ask questions if you have any."

and have a new profile picture with this caption: "Me with an ace of spades and wearing my asexual triangle pin. Ace is a slang term for asexual, hence the card."

I will update (hopefully) with responses latter.

TheChronicWanderer

Me: Dad, I'm asexual.

My dad: I know.

Me: What?

My dad: You've been open about it for a while, in your own kind of way.

Me: Oh. Yeah.

My dad: So what does it mean, exactly?

Me: *Explains*

My dad: Oh. Well I guess that's healthy, for your state of mind right now.

I got the idea he thinks its a phase. And that's okay for me. I can just 'be going through a phase' for the rest of my life, if that makes him sleep better at night. I'm happy.

annwyl_cariad

I wasn't planning on coming out on Facebook but I spontaneously decided to do so about an hour ago using those Human Rights Campaign status updates. Mine says "(Annwyl) is asexual and today is National Coming Out Day. I'm coming out for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality because it's 2010 and almost 90% of LGBT youth experience harassment in school, and too many lives have been lost. Donate your status and join me by clicking here: (linkety)."

I hid it from family members except my brother (I have a limited profile friend group for them) because I don't want to deal with their judgment right now, but otherwise it's open for all my friends to see. We'll see if I get a response.

I'm also wearing a purple plaid shirt, purple plaid shoes, a vest, my black ring, and I put an ace flag pin on my bag. So I look about as asexy as it is possible for me to look without wearing an AVEN t-shirt, haha. I didn't have time this morning to take a picture but I'll make sure I do tonight.

For the people on my fb, yes that is me going around making remarks at your statuses and you know I'm joking :P

I posted that [areece] will be feeling absolutely ACE for the rest of this evening and all of tomorrow!

Was going to add a good-luck to anyone in the GLBT community planning on coming out as well but chickened out.. :blush:

I posted mine a couple hours ago, with a link to an LJ explaining asexuality. I've had three people that didn't know about it before comment and a ton of people that did know. One friend said it was interesting and she hadn't heard of it before, the other that I was still her friend and she still loved me (in a friend way) [<--she actually clarified and ohgod I laughed so hard] and the other said my mom must be very happy. :lol: I'm pretty certain my mom hasn't seen it yet and won't see it until tonight, but the mountain of positive comments from people is reassuring, even if 75% of them knew about it before and were a non-issue. (:

Good luck to everyone else. And I hope my mom does take it well.

pawprint prettysure

I posted this as my FB status update: "This transgendered panromantic asexual would like to wish everyone a happy Coming Out Day. It's 2010 and almost 90% of LGBT youth experience harassment in school and too many lives have been lost."

So far 4 people have liked it. (3 of them AVENites xD ). I haven't come out as trans to my family yet, so... we'll see if they take notice. :rolleyes:

I just made my Facebook status "[brackets] is asexual. Happy Coming Out Day, everyone!".

So far, a bunch of AVENites have "liked" it. I doubt anyone else will really care, but meh.

I just posted this on my second FB profile: Happy National Coming Out Day! Love to my LGBTIAQ folks!!! Huge hugs to my fellow Aces!

And then added a link to this site. I also changed my profile pic to the triangle. We'll see if I get any responses. I had posted something earlier and got a like from a fellow Acer. I'm FB friends with only 3 Aces, one I know is a member here.

I was just speaking to someone on another chatroom. He'd found out about me being genderfluid and confronted me. After explaining it, I lamented about how I was worried that if I mentioned either being genderfluid or asexual, people might just accept one, but if I explained both, that might tip the belief over the edge and render any accepting of either invalid as attention seeking. I thought the guy knew I was asexual *facepalm*

I explained and he said "oh, that's sad" (*stamps Bingo card*) to which my response was "not to me, lol. It seems like a lot of time, effort, disappointment and frustration to me."

So I unintentionally outed myself on Coming Out Day and explained to the guy what asexuality and non-binary genders are :)

I wrote,

I'm asexual, ask me how!

Seriously, since it's National Coming Out Day--if anyone is at all curious about what identifying as asexual means to me, come ask me questions. I'll sit down with you and answer all of them.

as a status update and included a link to AVEN. I did block my family from seeing it, but other than that left it pretty much open season.

Mostly what I got was a bunch of 'likes' and several compliments, though no actual questions, so yay on that front.

I wrote

National coming out day in most countries. Convenient timing, I'm now comfortable saying I'm asexual. Good luck to everyone else coming out today.

Only 1 like so far...

A week ahead of time, I posted a link to "The Fine Art of Being Come Out To" on Facebook. Today, I posted a status that said "I am openly queer, gay, and asexual. Yay Coming Out Day!" Yesterday, my boyfriend and I just went Facebook official, but the timing was pure coincidence. I also posted a blog post about coming out, though I don't really talk about asexuality.

as a parent..there are worse things your child can say other than dad..I'm asexual

sometimes you gotta trust those around you and most of the times..parents are pretty cool

annwyl_cariad

My Facebook status got no comments, but four "likes." One was from a fellow AVENite (you know who you are...thanks! :D), two were from college friends that probably didn't previously know I was ace, and one was from a girl I've known since elementary school but haven't talked to in years. That last one was pretty cool.

All attempts at a self-portrait of my outfit today were miserable failures, so I hung it all on a hanger and took a picture of the whole ensemble there. The flag pinned to my vest was actually on my school bag all day. I didn't get any comments on the flag but maybe people felt awkward asking or just didn't think to.

comingoutday.jpg

Soooo I think my mother missed my link. And I spent all afternoon with a guy so lord knows what she thinks I've been up to (it's very odd for me to spend time outside of school with anyone and she always seems to think I'm secretly having boyfriends behind her back..?) So. <_< I'll nudge her in that direction tomorrow and hope I don't get awkward questions about the boy.

I told some people in real life today, they asked what it was, and then everything was okay. Honestly, I expected more.

But I came out as homoromantic on Facebook and so far, I've only gotten positive answers.

YEAH. :D

Archived