Who are the other Christians on here?

Beth Aven

UFMCC churches, if there is one in your area, are inclusive. They were started by a gay man, but it is y'all cone. I mean they acceptted me when I identified as straight, and they still accept me, and I'm out to them.

I went to the Unitarian Church for about four years.

It was LGBT friendly - some Unitarian Churches do lesbian and gay weddings etc etc.

I confided in the minister that I'd been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and he told me to get out of the church and not come back.

It was kind of surreal...I think he'd confused schizophrenic with crack addict or something :blink:

Anyway, I didn't bother with religion after that and now I'm pretty much an atheist.

Amputation Defenestration

I'm multifaith, I'm Mormon and Pagan so, as Mormons are Christians, I think I count.

How does that work, exactly? :blink:

I knew a woman who (at the time, at least) identified as "mostly Buddhist," but this is a more interesting combination, I think. Maybe my idea of Mormonism is skewed by the few I've met?

Anglican and proud :) Never told anyone at my church about my biromanticness, I don't think it would be an issue though. Hoping to go to uni and study Theology and then become a priest **crosses fingers**

Hot_Air_Balloons

I'm a Christian here! Roman Catholic to be exact. I'm pretty conservative on most things, but not everything.

I'm also curious to why so few people on here are Christian...

I'm curious as to why there seem to be so few Christians out in the real world! I feel so different all the time in the world and it makes me sad. Not only because I am Christian, but because I am asexual and way more sensitive than most people. (I'm HSP)

Send me a Personal Message if you'd like!

Hot_Air_Balloons :)

I'm a Christian here! Roman Catholic to be exact. I'm pretty conservative on most things, but not everything.

I'm also curious to why so few people on here are Christian...

I'm curious as to why there seem to be so few Christians out in the real world! I feel so different all the time in the world and it makes me sad. Not only because I am Christian, but because I am asexual and way more sensitive than most people. (I'm HSP)

Send me a Personal Message if you'd like!

Hot_Air_Balloons :)

Before you hit the point, I'd just like to say; I'm not trying to be insulting here, I am only raising this point in order to see if you have an answer:

The reason there are "so few Christians" in the world is because it's nonsense and most people realise that. Though in many cases they end up replacing it with some other form of nonsense.

I actually have a new age outlook on religion, I see that all religions have something to contribute that can help each person, individually. Because we are all different and perceive life differently, whatever religion you choose will be based on your beliefs. However, I question on where your beliefs come from. Are they coming from your parents, society, preachers, etc., or are they coming from your heart (you)? :wub: ... So I believe in "The Pure Heart", others call it "Define Conscience". When you listen to yourself, your conscience will guide you to what is right. By Listening to others, you may be guided off a cliff, and they won't be there to catch you when you fall.

I do believe their is goodness in all religions, I do like Jesus' teaching, but I also like the Buddhas teachings, I even like the Hindus, and the Muslims. I am careful to not use any religion as an Idol. And I do believe in a Creator, he has many names, and you can choose the word that works for you.

this sounds cool. is it an actual thing then "the pure heart"? like do people list that as their faith?

Asterion Orestes

Inevitable:

The reason there are "so few Christians" in the world is because it's nonsense and most people realise that. Though in many cases they end up replacing it with some other form of nonsense.

Evidently one should not believe in--"it."

Inevitable, that is just rude. I don't call your beliefs nonsense so why don't you respect mine? And why are you on a Christian discussion board if you aren't Christian and think it is stupid?

Guest member31022

The vegan thread is full of meat eaters.

Seems to be a common problem.

I keep meaning to suggest something that the other forums I'm on (xkcd) have - safespace threads. So there's a Christian discussion thread, and a Christian safespace thread.

This means all questions end up in the discussion thread, where you know full well you might get offended, or the safespace, where you should be nice :)

(I'm Christian, by the way)

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

It's not a vegan or a christianity board, it's an asexuality forum. If you want to discuss christianity on here with asexuals then that's fine but you can't stop non-christian asexuals coming on.

And personally I don't think believing and expressing that christianity is nonsense is much of an insult; it was said to explain why you don't meet many christians in the developed world nowadays, because more and more people are recognising it as non-sensical.

Guest member31022

And personally I don't think believing and expressing that christianity is nonsense is much of an insult; it was said to explain why you don't meet many christians in the developed world nowadays, because more and more people are recognising it as non-sensical.

The part that is offensive is the language used. Saying something like

"There are less Christians, because people are turning to other things." = not offensive

Throwing around words like 'nonsense' are insulting a person, and implying they have ridiculous beliefs, which can be a slight on a person.

That's exactly what I meant.

And it also explains why I needed to describe it as "nonsense", beyondweird. The point was based almost entirely on the idea that people were not Christian because they interpretted the beliefs as nonsense.

I apologise for posing it like a statement of fact (I'd thought the disclaimer at the start would establish it as a discussion point). I'll admit that I, personally, think Christianity is "nonsense" but that was not the actual point I was trying to raise.

Also, add the Islam thread to the list of straying audiences.

i can certainly understand why so many non-Christians think so little of Christians in general; many of the most exasperating, close-minded, ignorant, and vitriolic people i have ever met have been professing Christians, and they tend, unfortunately, to be the most vocal.

the thing is, not all Christians are like that. not by any stretch of the imagination. there are now, just as there have been in the past, many who are not only intelligent, but brilliant, by anyone's standards, and who do not consider Christianity to be at odds with science or any other intellectual pursuits. there are people who have made great personal and material sacrifices in order to live up to the challenges of what they believe and to help those in need. you don't hear as much about them, or from them, because they are humble and do not draw attention to their actions, as their faith prescribes. i said above that some of the worst people i've known have been Christians; some of the best have been as well.

i agree that Christians are, for the most part, the worst possible PR for Christianity. there isn't much to be done about that, i'm afraid, because stupid people always seem to shout the loudest, regardless of faith or lack thereof. but i would simply, and with appropriate humility, point to those who are so much better than i am and say that there are people who exemplify Christianity in a positive way. people like Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton, to name two of my favourites. people who are, or who have been, living proof that one need not abandon one's intellect at the doors of the Church, but who also bear witness that one need not be brilliant or talented or gifted in any particular way to be worthy of love.

and yes, for the record, i do consider myself to be a Christian--albeit a very bad one who routinely sets a terrible example. but the fact that i fail constantly doesn't mean i don't retain my ideals. in fact, sometimes my belief that there is something for me to live up to, even if i never achieve it, is the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning. which is a damned good thing, since my own personal deadly sin is Sloth. (heh. you can imagine how i felt when i saw Seven...)

It's funny to see people bemoaning the lack of christians. I guess when you feel like the odd one out you notice that all to much. Personally I'm inundated with christians in my daily life. Not that I have any issues with them.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Ghandi.

There seems to be a central problem with any situation where people join a strongly defined group whereby they feel the need to evangelise their message to non-group members.

I have that beef with 99% of vegans I've ever met and I'm sure it's the same with stamp collectors, hi-fi buffs and pigeon fanciers.

I am perfectly happy for Christians to be Christians. The problem is that virtually every Christian I've ever met is absolutely not happy for me to be an atheist and at some point makes an attempt to save me or pray for me.

BLANK BLANK BLANK

Do we have to spoil this thread? The idea behind it originally, as I understood it, was for the poster who started it to seek out fellow Christians. Not to start a religious debate which is bound to get personal at some point.

I have that beef with 99% of vegans I've ever met

What a brilliant turn of phrase that is.

Having got that off my chest, I will, as a non-Christian, opt out of the thread.

I have that beef with 99% of vegans I've ever met

What a brilliant turn of phrase that is.

Having got that off my chest, I will, as a non-Christian, opt out of the thread.

I'm glad that someone has at last noticed my obscure sense of humour :-)

Yes, you are correct. I got carried away and this isn't my place, so I'll opt out too.

Dylan-Michael

I'm Catholic, and I'm interested in liberation theology. I'm not what is considered a "conservative Christian." I believe God wants us to care about other people, rather than just stomp around telling people they're going to hell & stuff...

The exact same for me.

Dylan-Michael

That's exactly what I meant.

And it also explains why I needed to describe it as "nonsense", beyondweird. The point was based almost entirely on the idea that people were not Christian because they interpretted the beliefs as nonsense.

I apologise for posing it like a statement of fact (I'd thought the disclaimer at the start would establish it as a discussion point). I'll admit that I, personally, think Christianity is "nonsense" but that was not the actual point I was trying to raise.

Also, add the Islam thread to the list of straying audiences.

Wow, If that was you trying not to be rude, I'd hate to be around you when you are trying to be rude.

Wow, If that was you trying not to be rude, I'd hate to be around you when you are trying to be rude.

Then you, too, have totally missed the point I'm trying to make.

It has nothing to do with insults.

Please tell me, why do YOU think there are "so few Christians" (admittedly, I don't think that's true, but we're talking hypothetical here).

Logic dictates that if people thought Christianity was sensible they'd join it. As they are not joining it, it infers that they don't.

Perhaps, in my original statement I should have addressed that and put "believe it's nonsense" rather than "it is". But then again, most of these non-Christians probably wouldn't. Besides, as I said, I'd hoped to establish that with the disclaimer.

Whatever else, that statement is a very likely non-Christian's response to the posed issue (and, in my opinion, likely to be true). If you asked the implied question, that answer would be likely. Presumably you have a counter-argument? If not, think of this as an opportunity to come up with one rather than wasting time with pointless arguments about the nature of my posts.

If I said I had an invisible green dragon named Steve in my backyard and someone said that was nonsense, I doubt you would think it was such a rude thing to say.

Just saying.

BLANK BLANK BLANK

I'm sure you're right that the reason that a person might not look for God is that he/she believes Christianity is "Nonesense." I'd just like to make the point that one does not set out to become a Christian. One sets out to find faith in God. To discover Him. Or one is taught to believe in Him as a child, and never loses that childhood conditioning. "Christian" is a lable like "Asexual" or "Goth." It isn't a goal. I just though someone should mention that.

Also, personally, I would advise you to choose your words more carefully when making a point. Clearly some people felt the words you chose were insensative, and did not convey the fact that you were just making an argument for why certain people arn't Christians. You never know. There might be other factors as well, like upbringing or bad experiances in the past with religious authority figures.

If I said I had an invisible green dragon named Steve in my backyard and someone said that was nonsense, I doubt you would think it was such a rude thing to say.

Just saying.

Hehe...was that a reference to Pete's Dragon?

Anyway not all christians are theist

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

Christians can't have it all their own way, if they're confient enough in their belief system then one person criticising them shouldn't be too much of a problem to them. Personally I feel like they have to resort to crying "no fair, don't be rude" etc to deflect the fact that their beliefs don't hold up to modern day logic.

Archived