Tim Gunn, asexual!?!

+Lee

I read this on another thread as a mention, but I haven't heard of it myself so I thought I would make a thread about it. (Plus, I can't be the only one who likes Tim Gunn, though I haven't watched Project Runway in ages).

Anyway, I did a google search and got this:

From: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/fashions_night_out/gunn_slinger_zlPlWaab0rcZky6Ah8DDFN

and a post from (Ily writes it right?) asexy beast:

Thanks to Karli for pointing out this video, in which Tim Gunn (the dude from "Project Runway" who says "make it work!" a lot) discusses his "suicidal past". It seems like this was one reason why he felt so badly during his teen years:

"For a long time, I didn't know what I was. I knew what I wasn't. I wasn't interested in boys. But I really wasn't interested in girls." He says (in a People magazine article) "I've always been kind of asexual" and "I really am happy alone", claiming that he hasn't had sex since 1982.

(Ps. Video doesn't work now)

Other mentions/links:

http://www.yourtango.com/201081904/tim-gunn-celibate-could-you-be (The article is a bit offensive)

I wonder if he really is asexual, or will latter contract that statement (Like I hear Steven Fry did).

Actually, it makes sense to me. What do you all think?

corduroyjackalope

I read this on another thread as a mention, but I haven't heard of it myself so I thought I would make a thread about it. (Plus, I can't be the only one who likes Tim Gunn, though I haven't watched Project Runway in ages).

From: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/fashions_night_out/gunn_slinger_zlPlWaab0rcZky6Ah8DDFN

Thanks to Karli for pointing out this video, in which Tim Gunn (the dude from "Project Runway" who says "make it work!" a lot) discusses his "suicidal past". It seems like this was one reason why he felt so badly during his teen years:

"For a long time, I didn't know what I was. I knew what I wasn't. I wasn't interested in boys. But I really wasn't interested in girls." He says (in a People magazine article) "I've always been kind of asexual" and "I really am happy alone", claiming that he hasn't had sex since 1982.

Other mentions/links:

http://www.yourtango.com/201081904/tim-gunn-celibate-could-you-be (The article is a bit offensive)

I wonder if he really is asexual, or will latter contract that statement (Like I hear Steven Fry did).

Do you know what year that article was in People? I have a bunch of 'em.

^-^ I agree with Heka; completely awesome.

Other mentions/links:

Do you know what year that article was in People? I have a bunch of 'em.

Ooooh, I think August, or Spetember. Maybe July. Let me know if you find it, I would love to see a scan of the article!!

I think this is awesome. :blush:

^-^ I agree with Heka; completely awesome.

Agreed!!

I am fangirling so hard you have no idea. Excuse me while I roll around in glee~!

so not to be a kill-joy, but the stuff I am reading says that he said he got really hurt in a relationship and hasn't had one since (the articles imply that this is because he doesn't want to get hurt again). I can not find anywhere where it says he has come out as asexual. I just keep reading that he isn't having sex. I think Gunn is celibate, not asexual.

Well, I agree with Gizmo that it's kind of hard to tell if he's asexual or just celibate. But if he is asexual, that's neat.

That would be wonderful. Project Runaway is the Official Guilty Pleasure/Reality Show of our apartment.

Oh, man, please be true. There is just a never-ending list of reasons to love Tim Gunn.

I just read the article. This made me laugh:

"Also horrifying? 'The number of men who don’t know how to tie a necktie because they don’t own one,' says Gunn. 'You must!' he adds, voice rising in frustration. 'You need a dark suit, a white shirt and a necktie . . . It’s out of respect for people. Respect!'"

"Respect!" /new Tim Gunn catch phrase

I love Tim Gunn and he may be a distant relative actually, so this would just add to the awesome. At least if he isn't ace, he's probably ace friendly.

so not to be a kill-joy, but the stuff I am reading says that he said he got really hurt in a relationship and hasn't had one since (the articles imply that this is because he doesn't want to get hurt again). I can not find anywhere where it says he has come out as asexual. I just keep reading that he isn't having sex. I think Gunn is celibate, not asexual.

True, that is bad, but they did say he was asexual and celibate, not just asexual.

I love Tim Gunn and he may be a distant relative actually, so this would just add to the awesome. At least if he isn't ace, he's probably ace friendly.

Really? that is awesome!

I'm a big fan of Project Runway.

Tim is awesome and I'm pleased that he may be Ace / Ace friendly.

From watching the program I'd assumed he was gay.

Silly me :-)

I'm a big fan of Project Runway.

Tim is awesome and I'm pleased that he may be Ace / Ace friendly.

From watching the program I'd assumed he was gay.

Silly me :-)

Well, he is still gay. XD There are gay asexuals. ;)

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of any of the so-called "Celebrities" who people on this site claim are asexual?

Most of them I've not heard of.

I jumped up and down when I heard this but it brought up an interesting issue for me. I want to believe it is awesome and amazing that Tim Gunn is aexual, but I also read somewhere that he stated he was asexual (celibate) because he simply didn't want to deal with the hurt of relationships. This treads an awkward line for me. People use fear of intimacy and love to delegitimize asexuality, so could having him be a public representation of asexuality be harmful in that regard? Maybe, maybe not.

However, I think the quote from People Magazine pretty much affirms that it has more to do with something else.

At any rate, he's a pretty awesome guy, more dynamic than most, and however he feels about intimacy doesn't delegitimize that.

I jumped up and down when I heard this but it brought up an interesting issue for me. I want to believe it is awesome and amazing that Tim Gunn is aexual, but I also read somewhere that he stated he was asexual (celibate) because he simply didn't want to deal with the hurt of relationships. This treads an awkward line for me. People use fear of intimacy and love to delegitimize asexuality, so could having him be a public representation of asexuality be harmful in that regard? Maybe, maybe not.

However, I think the quote from People Magazine pretty much affirms that it has more to do with something else.

At any rate, he's a pretty awesome guy, more dynamic than most, and however he feels about intimacy doesn't delegitimize that.

That's it!!! I forgot what I read that made me think he really is ace and not just using the wrong terms possibly!

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

May I suggest to anyone that has read the article that they update his wikipedia page? :)

May I suggest to anyone that has read the article that they update his wikipedia page? :)

I would if I could, but I don't have a wiki account and I'm not very good at the proper wording I don't think.

Someone do it please!?

I'm pretty sure Stephen Fry is just really, really gay.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom and I are both huge Project Runway fans, so she showed me the People article today. Here are the scans:

Page 1

Page 2

He says the relationship broke up because he's "always been kind of asexual." He also says "I really am happy alone." He certainly sounds gay asexual :)

My mom and I are both huge Project Runway fans, so she showed me the People article today. Here are the scans:

Page 1

Page 2

He says the relationship broke up because he's "always been kind of asexual." He also says "I really am happy alone." He certainly sounds gay asexual :)

Thank you for the scans! I totally forgot that I read the article at work, and wrote down the relevant parts XD

"Much of my boyfriends 'I'm over this' was about sex. I've always been kind of asexual"

Yup, he's asexual. :)

• 3 weeks later...
BLANK BLANK BLANK

I'm pretty sure Stephen Fry is just really, really gay.

Maybe Stephen Fry was just confused. I think we can all understand that.

phantomwriter

Wow, that was such a wonderfully positive article! It made me happy. :D

Wow. This is really interesting. I've always been a fan of Tim Gunn. Thanks for the links! :cake: :cake: :cake: