National Coming Out Day (October 11th)

+Lee

Logo_ncod_lg.png

It's time to come out of the closet

National Coming Out day a day for people of the LGBT community to come out of the closet on October 11th of every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Coming_Out_Day

This is the thread to mention what you plan on doing that day, both online and Off. That is why this post is in two sections.

A great idea Ily suggested, a facebook/other internet way of coming out:

I think it would definitely be cool if we did some kind of organized action for Coming Out Day. I'm already out to everyone who would care, I think, although whether they all really understand asexuality is another story. If people want to post things on Facebook, maybe we could come up with one statement and then everyone could post the same thing. That might make folks who are on the fence about posting something feel a little more confident, if they know many other people are posting the exact same thing. Anyway, just a thought.

I second this notion!

Yay! Maybe something along the lines of "It's National Coming-Out Day! I'm coming out as asexual. What are you coming out as?" but better.

So anyone have ideas? By the way, unlike the last thread, I myself have decided to take part and not do "coded" messages, I'm going to do the real thing.

Ideas for people to use if they want to participate on facebook or other sites but don't want to come out yet:

1) Status updates:

⁃ 53x+m³=∅

⁃ Sex ≠ Love

⁃ I'm straight as an ace

2) Videos

⁃ Help for the asexual

⁃ HPoA

3) We can all use the same/similar avatar/photo/profile pic. Like coming out of the closet or something.

Please suggest other ideas.

Ideas for coming out on these sites:

1) Link to http://lmgtfy.com/?q...xuality.org&l=1 (of course with a message attached)

2) Link to a video saying "I am asexual, this is what it means, this is what it doesn't mean" and maybe have a option for people who want this but can't/don't want to use their face (as in a stock video?)

3) Simple: "I am asexual"

4) Ilys: "It's National Coming-Out Day! I'm coming out as asexual. What are you coming out as?"

5) ^ Revised version

6) A stock "asexuality 101" video someone (I think I will, as I've been planning to make one) makes and everyone can link to.

I like the idea of having a stock thing that all aces can do, it might generate some publicity if enough people notice.

1) Wear ace pride items all day

2) Wear a shirt/other item (Sticker?) saying: "Today is National Coming out day, I am coming out as:"

3) Tell people you are asexual

4) Dress up as the Doctor, Sherlock Homes, or an amoeba :P

5) You can read http://www.hrc.org/issues/10773.htm one of these guides.

Are you going to come out? As a Queersecret said:

tumblr_l709kup40c1qcpj7wo1_400.jpg

It is, I agree. I'm scared to tell a lot of people, even my queer friendly friends. But sometimes it's better to let everyone know the "full" you. I say full becuase I notice myself censoring things about me or not linking/saying things so people don't know.

And before anyone else says it:

Coming out in general (as this wonderful image shows) is dumb because heterosexuals don't, but we sadly live in a world were we have to at the moment, especially to gain acceptance and visibility.

The best way gays got known was from coming out and showing who they are. This is a good way to spread visibility, and educate people about it.

(For those wondering why I made a new thread, the old one was created before I was PT and so I made this more of a Project team thing. Also, this has more ideas, I'm trying to make a set online post, and I'm actually going to come out with everyone else instead of being "in code". :) )

Please, feel free to post any ideas, tips, links, etc you want to suggest!

EDIT: I finally found an official(?) website for it (this site seems to be the one posting this every year, but I couldn't find this year) and I found it: http://www.hrc.org/issues/coming_out_day_2010.htm has guides and more.

vrazda verlaine

I'm not coming out on Facebook, because I'm friends with some extended family, and they don't need to know I'm asexual.

I'm excited as hell about celebrating it with my school's LGBT club. Last year, we had a booth out in a busy area of campus with a closet door and nametags that said "I'm coming out as". We'll probably do the booth again, so this year, I'm going to help run it, dress in all black and purple, and make it quite obvious that I'm asexual. We'll probably do it for the whole week, too, or at least the first three days, and the 12th is Asexuality Visibility and Education Day... so even more asexy time! I've told a few people, and one friend got totally excited and said she would make a shirt that says "I <3 Asexuals" for that day. Amazing.

I'm not coming out on Facebook, because I'm friends with some extended family, and they don't need to know I'm asexual.

I'm excited as hell about celebrating it with my school's LGBT club. Last year, we had a booth out in a busy area of campus with a closet door and nametags that said "I'm coming out as". We'll probably do the booth again, so this year, I'm going to help run it, dress in all black and purple, and make it quite obvious that I'm asexual. We'll probably do it for the whole week, too, or at least the first three days, and the 12th is Asexuality Visibility and Education Day... so even more asexy time! I've told a few people, and one friend got totally excited and said she would make a shirt that says "I <3 Asexuals" for that day. Amazing.

hehe, that is one of the reasons I don't want to do it on facebook... though I'm going to do it anyway... :/

That sounds awesome!!!

I know, for the past couple of years, a lot of people on Facebook have simply posted "[name] is [orientation]" for National Coming Out Day (and a lot of the straight people I know tend to post something like "[name] is an ally.").

I'm thinking that's a good day to wear purple, too. I'd dress up as the Doctor, but that's going to be my Halloween costume, so I think I'll hold off on that one.

I don't think I'll be coming out on Facebook, but I might tell my sister.

But I do think I'll go to the LGBT group at my college and join and maybe come out to them.. is it strange that I'll be coming out to a group of strangers before anyone I actually know?

Ohman, I don't know. On facebook I mostly have friends that already know I'm asexual (though now that I think of it, my friends from my old school don't know) and my mom is on there. I guess that is where the "coming out is scary" bit comes in. :unsure: I'm unsure how my mother would react. I think that she would...maybe be alright with it, but guhhh explaining things. Explaining things sucks. :I

I'm on the fence. I'll decide at some point. >>

I am definitely coming out as Demisexual on Facebook. Along with being FtM

Though there's no real point since about 99% of the people on Facebook are from AVEN

But it's a start. I got no where else to come out to, lol

What items are considered to be ACE pride items?

The triangle, flag colors, asexual sayings, etc.

I am definitely coming out as Demisexual on Facebook. Along with being FtM

Though there's no real point since about 99% of the people on Facebook are from AVEN

But it's a start. I got no where else to come out to, lol

That's great! :) It is a place to start.

"Happy National Coming Out Day!"

"So... apparently it is National Coming Out day today" / "So... apparently it is National Coming Out Day today... Anyone got anything to tell me? ;)" (also use Asexuality Visibility and Education Day... so when someone says "wtf is asexuality??" you can educate ;) )

I want to come out to some people and stay in the closet for those who I know will respond baddly to it .

So what I am thinking of doing is this.

I discovered about the asexuality (black) ring and started wearing it just a few days ago.

So in my Facebook status , I will put the following phrase. "I wear a black ring in my middle right finger" .

I expect 3 possible senarios

a)Some people will understand what I mean but that means they already had some contact with Aven and the notion of asexuality so I am fine coming out to them.

b)Some will ask me what is this about and I will just say "google it".

The same response I give in real life to anyone that ask me what is the significance of a black ring .

Chances are if they google it they will see the words asexual and aven. From that point I think it will be easier for me to explain things to them and I guess I am also fine coming out to someone who makes the effort to find out and learn.

c)Some will not even notice , and that should be the exact group of people I do not want to come out to.

I'm glad you liked my idea! :) Could you put the date of Coming Out Day in the thread title and the OP? It says "October 11th" in the picture, but I know that's an old picture, so is Oct. 11th still the date?

I'm glad you liked my idea! :) Could you put the date of Coming Out Day in the thread title and the OP? It says "October 11th" in the picture, but I know that's an old picture, so is Oct. 11th still the date?

oops. :blush:

I thought I did that. Yes, it's October 11th every year.

I do love your idea! It is good.

oops. :blush:

I thought I did that. Yes, it's October 11th every year.

I do love your idea! It is good.

Hmm, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was the 10th of November, until I actually read the thread! :blush:

Hmm, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was the 10th of November, until I actually read the thread! :blush:

Further confusing things, isn't it always held on the 12th in the UK? :wacko:

Further confusing things, isn't it always held on the 12th in the UK? :wacko:

Yes, it is actually... :wacko:

To make things simpler I'm keeping it just the 11th.

I like the idea of coming out on facebook. I'm technically out, but since I doubt most of the people on my friends list monitor my information for minute changes, most probably haven't noticed. -grins- I'll have to think about the best way to do it.

I even have something to wear along with my ring. This is exciting.

I've been thinking I might walk around with "asexual" written on my forehead.

Am I brave enough? Hell yeah.

Am I patient enough to explain asexuality to everyone who asks about it or gives me a weird look? That remains to be seen...

I plan on making a post to my LJ to come out to anyone who's missed it so far, including an explanation what ace means and some links to online resources. I'll be using ym spiffy ace icon, too (see avatar), and explain its meaning.

I was considering doing it this week because it's Ace Awareness Week, but frankly, between work and writing an article for AVENues, I don't have time to do it properly right now, so Oct 11th it is.

I'm going to request a title change so it actually says 'October 11th' because 10/11/2010 in UK terms means the tenth of November and we don't want to be a month behind.

I'm going to request a title change so it actually says 'October 11th' because 10/11/2010 in UK terms means the tenth of November and we don't want to be a month behind.

OH! How could I be so stupid, I know this >___<.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Also, I'm thinking of recording a video to show on this day.

The beginning will be of me coming out of a closet and saying "Boy, it feels good to be out" or something along those lines and then talking about me and my asexuality. I'm afraid it will come off as really lame/stupid though.

OH! How could I be so stupid, I know this >___<.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

The beginning will be of me coming out of a closet and saying "Boy, it feels good to be out" or something along those lines and then talking about me and my asexuality. I'm afraid it will come off as really lame/stupid though.

Don't put yourself down.

a) You can't keep your mind open for all types of dates. XD

b) It's a good idea - you've got time to perfect it and iron out any flaws you can find. I'll watch it once it comes out.

ShahidAfridiBOOMBOOM

That literally-coming-out-of-a-closet-scene does sound like it could be very cheesy. My advice is to really ham it up so it's obvious to the viewer that you're aware of it's lameness and that you're actually being knowingly ironic. You can get away with anything as long as people think you're being ironic.

Ok, I have typed out what I might say/do for the video. PLEASE tell me if I got anything wrong/worded wrong!

Obviously I wont be able to quote it verbatim in the video, as I don't have a teleprompter but I can try. Man, this is so long I think I will have to split it into two videos! D:

*edited, done with video.

I think I may just do something more subtle, like post "Amoebas have the right idea," on Facebook and probably not get any sort of response. I'm kinda tying to get my friends to figure it out on their own by dropping hints (some bigger than others) so it doesn't become too awkward.

At 9:32, is there meant to be something on the screen you are pointing at?

For the flag, I'm not sure why you left grey-a/demi until last, especially since you already explained those three colours in the previous shot about the triangle. And those three together make up our community (the purple).

And just so you know, the first time the Mysterious Voice came on, it scared the crap out of me :D.

Good video :) :cake: can't wait to hear the reactions to it :)

Archived