Asexual Flag: And the winner is.....

bristrek

Ehhhh... way to depressing for me.

I agree. I like the brighter purples; they give an otherwise grayscale flag a nice pop. While the more muted purple is a good color for a website, it doesn't strike me as terribly "proud" or happy.

I'd agree with this. Middle of the scale, looks brighter, less miserable and the purple shouldn't be almost black. Or too blue/red/pink.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

Using a pantone color might be a good idea. It would guarantee the color would always be exactly the same, no matter where it's printed. It would be nice to have perfect consistency between flags, merchandise, visibility campaigns, etc. Plus, it might actually make it cheaper to print things because it would mean using only two inks (black and the pantone) instead of four (CYMK).

pantone.png

I think pantone 2597 is a nice bright, not-too-red not-too-blue one.

flagcolours.jpg

The first is the one you proposed (I think it's best viewed in situ so to speak- ignore the grey, I just picked a default one) and I suppose thinking about it I'm someone who is looking slightly on the redder side of the purple spectrum, so I've picked a second one that I prefer... honestly, I wonder if we are going to all agree on it ha ha.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

flagcolours.jpg

The first is the one you proposed (I think it's best viewed in situ so to speak- ignore the grey, I just picked a default one) and I suppose thinking about it I'm someone who is looking slightly on the redder side of the purple spectrum, so I've picked a second one that I prefer... honestly, I wonder if we are going to all agree on it ha ha.

We could always have another poll :P

I would suggest maybe sticking to something in the center column because the three columns on the left have white added to them, and the three columns on the right have black added to them (I think this is the case for all of them except the third to last row).

maybe between 2592, 2593, 2597, & 266?

flagcolors-1.jpg

We have to also take into account that our monitors will all display the colors slightly differently. The great thing about pantone is that they publish books with printed samples so if you wanted to you could go find one and see what the color will actually look like.

I think the bottom two are too dark. 2592 is a little bit too pink I think, although a brighter shade will bring more life to the flag. Probably 2593 is closest to the kind of thing I've been thinking/we've been using.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

The bottom two probably look a little darker because they're bluer. I guess they do look a little too "cold." I still like 2597, but I like 2593 equally.

I like 2593 but a bit.... brighter. Otherwise, 2592. It is true about the screens looking different though - and also how it looks on the screen isn't always how it looks once printed.

Now, if we could find real world things these colours are used on that can be accessed in various countries that'd be handy. Like for us Brits, which if any is the one used for Cadbury's?

It may be an idea to have a pantone colour for RL stuff sent off to printers or makers of actual flags and stuff. Do cafepress use pantone or are they only CMYK? But then have an RGB colour too for internet. And try to get them as similar as possible (even if they might not look it on screen).

ETA: Cadbury's is 2685C which is copywrited, but I would imagine pretty close to 2685. I'll have a look into some other stuff.

Son of ETA: Actually, also, searching for 'purple pantone' on google images is interesting.

Okay, to double post.... been fiddling around with photoshop. These colour can be accessed easily on the photoshop colour options, I rather like 2692C

dnmy41.jpg

Yeah... the two on the left are quite light colours and while I'm not averse to those, there is a certain richness about the purple in 2692C

The trouble with pantone is you can't go 'Ooo, I just want a dash more blue/red' in it like you can with CMYK. Most of the options, all of them really, seem to be either too red or too blue. 2692C with just a dash more of blue would be nice but... then it wouldn't be a pantone colour. I mean, you could probably order it from Pantone but it wouldn't be one printint companies would have on hand and would have to order special which, in the end, would be more expensive.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

Okay, to double post.... been fiddling around with photoshop. These colour can be accessed easily on the photoshop colour options, I rather like 2692C

dnmy41.jpg

I used the pantone swatches in photoshop to make mine as well...All of those are more on the redish/pinkish side...2602 looks good, but I still like 2593 from the colors I posted.

I wonder...why IS AVEN purple?

Is that AVENguy's favorite color?

:huh:

Not that I'm complaining, just curious. :D

I always assumed it was just the default skin colour from the original AVEN boards but yeah, I kinda wondered too... (I don't mind, my favourite colour is purple lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I realize this is super off-topic and I'm sorry for that, but I saw this: http://www.thepurplestore.com/ and I was reminded of AVEN.

I stumbled onto this store while looking for camo for paintball (I was drawn to the purple BDU's :P but they aren't too practical for woodsball or anything else for that matter. Anyways, enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally uploaded my pictures...

I made my own flag you see...

Behold! The masterpiece!

DSCN3094.jpg

rofl!

(On a plus side, it's metallic! lol )

• 1 year later...
Violet_Loves_Iliona

Hello all :) :cake:

I didn't realise there was a vote going on for this and therefore didn't get a chance to vote. Personally I think it looks a little too depressing with the current colours & layout, and I think I would have preferred a purple flag with the white-grey-black triangle in the middle, so the main colour dominating the flag was purple... In any case, I'm curious to see what the other designs options looked like - does anyone know where I can see them all? Because the external surveymonkey website has blocked access now that the vote is over.

Thanks in advance for any links/images/etc. with the alternate options anyone may be able to offer! ... and some :cake: !

Violet

Archived