Asexual Flag: And the winner is.....

bristrek

And the winner is...

aflag2.png

(ETA: For those being linked here via tumblr and so on, the colours do mean something - it was all discussed a bit back and you can find it if you go through a link hunt starting with the one at the bottom of this entry. But basically it goes like this: black = asexuals, grey = demisexuals and grey-aces, white = sexuals and purple = the community around us, our community.)

I've gone through the results sheet, and anybody who voted twice sorry, you only got one. Well, except the one person who on doing it voted once each time, for different flags. And given I said I'd allow up to four that didn't seem too wrong. BUT, there were grand total, including that, of five people who voted twice under the same IP address. Not too bad, I was half expecting worse. Don't worry, no idea which IP address belongs to who.

Less interesting stuff first.

302 votes have been counted in the week this poll was open.

When asked if they wanted a flag or not four people skipped the question, but of the 298 who answered we get this:

Doyouwantaflag.png

74.8% Yes 21.5% No

When asked which of the following statements fit them best if they'd responded no, and 32 people skipped this question, we get this:

Ifyouansweredno.png

74.8% 'I voted yes'

21.5% 'I don't really want a flag for asexuality but I'm not against there being one either.'

3.7% I don't want one, don't think there should be one and feel actively against the idea.'

So it's an overwhelming majority who either want a flag, or don't mind if we have one. A very small number are actually against the idea. Now, onto the flag choices, it's closer knit than this but the pattern remained essentially the same through the entire thing:

flagdesignvote-a.png

A1 - 41.1%

B1 - 30.1%

C4 - 27.1%

C1 - 25.1%

B4 - 20.7%

B3 - 20.1%

C2 - 19.4%

A3 - 19.1%

A4 - 18.1%

C3 - 15.1%

A2 - 14.4%

B2 - 12.4%

None - 10.4%

Note: It should be noted, some clicked both 'None' and one of the flags. This happened also with the ones just there for formatting if less because of the ignore notes in brackets. In these cases it seemed to be people saying they didn't like any in that column. This isn't true for all, and if anybody wants I can go through each response and count how many just said 'none' and no flag.

This means A1 is the winner. The margin between it and the three behind it grew and shrank, grew and shrank through the entire thing but it stayed pretty much like this the entire thing. I have no doubt that if this were to continue another month and a thousand people vote, A1 would still be the winner. Not so sure about third and fourth place. Three people skipped this question for some reason I don't get given there was a 'none' option. Once I saw that I closed that ability to skip this one which, to be honest, I'd thought I'd already done.

As has been pointed out on the previous post, A1 has already been used around the place such as on Queer Secrets on Tumblr, even alongside other LGBTQI etc flags as seen here so is starting to gain recognition and momentum.

So, I think that's it for flag design. Spread the word on the winner!

Now all we have to do is standardise the colours. Thoughts?

Past post, with links to other areas the poll was posted on and posts even further back is here.

That is a nice flag. It was even one that I voted for. 8)

I think that I have already seen in used as an Asexual symbol in Queer Secrets.

corduroyjackalope

For color, why not the AVEN front page purple? and for grey why not the shade on the 'post' 'use full editor' bar? not the buttons, but the bar of gray they are on. the grey (gray?) on the flag up there seems a bit light.

I think the black, gray, and white look fine. I'd like a darker purple though :P

For color, why not the AVEN front page purple? and for grey why not the shade on the 'post' 'use full editor' bar? not the buttons, but the bar of gray they are on. the grey (gray?) on the flag up there seems a bit light.

A lot of people think the ace colors are kind of morbid looking, so choosing lighter and less saturated hues makes the flag look a little more lively. That's just something to keep in mind.

Well, that wasn't actually my favourite, but it could be worse...

It is my fave, but I was scared to death it'd be one I hated (as a flag, rather than design in itself).

So I do sympathise with those whose fave isn't the one chosen.

As for colour stuff... I propose people take the flag at the top of the page, play with its colours on GIMP/Photoshop/Paint. The black and the white are pretty easy but shades of grey and purple...

I'm actually happy as is lol.

Guest fridayoak

Actually not to sound like a troublesome so and so but I think there should be another vote. I mean people had the option to vote for 3 or 4 flags (can't remember if it was 3 or 4) so people might have been voting for A1 being their 2nd or 3rd favourite flag, yet the vote still counted towards it's number one status. For example I voted for 2 flags (A1 and Mac from A-sylums, which I think is c4) but A1 is my second favourite out of the 2. If the results of this were going to stand then people should only have been allowed one vote per person instead of 3 or 4. Well I don't care that much, but I'm wondering if there's other people who voted for A1 but that it wasn't actually their number 1 favourite.

Wouldn't it be good if we had the top 3 or 4 and their creators could make a case for it and stuff and then have one more vote?

This was a great exercise - you had an idea and ran with it, and also gave everyone feedback. Great work and congratulations! Will you be putting your name forward when PT elections are run???

corduroyjackalope

A lot of people think the ace colors are kind of morbid looking, so choosing lighter and less saturated hues makes the flag look a little more lively. That's just something to keep in mind.

I was just thinking that the gray was a bit close to the white. The purple is fine though.

For purple hue, I like one that isn't too blue and isn't too red, kinda a true purple.

Like the one I use in my flag in my signature.

I'll re-post these:

colorp.jpg

colorg.jpg

Ideas for the hue, but I better re-do it as these strips are kinda old, and a bit hap-hazard.

I'll make a new color palate idea latter.

EDIT: Or just edit the flag itself.

Actually not to sound like a troublesome so and so but I think there should be another vote. I mean people had the option to vote for 3 or 4 flags (can't remember if it was 3 or 4) so people might have been voting for A1 being their 2nd or 3rd favourite flag, yet the vote still counted towards it's number one status. For example I voted for 2 flags (A1 and Mac from A-sylums, which I think is c4) but A1 is my second favourite out of the 2. If the results of this were going to stand then people should only have been allowed one vote per person instead of 3 or 4. Well I don't care that much, but I'm wondering if there's other people who voted for A1 but that it wasn't actually their number 1 favourite.

Wouldn't it be good if we had the top 3 or 4 and their creators could make a case for it and stuff and then have one more vote?

Well, it was pretty clear that the votes taken would be tallied up and the leader at the end would win unless it was touch and go. If a person didn't want something as a flag they didn't have to vote more than once. Flicking through some votes now and then showed that several did vote for less than the allowed number - even just one. So I don't think we need another round, no.

This was a great exercise - you had an idea and ran with it, and also gave everyone feedback. Great work and congratulations! Will you be putting your name forward when PT elections are run???

It wasn't jut me, Standup actually started the ball rolling and I've just been a very loud cheerleader and throwing ideas around for a while until this last round. And plenty of people helped it happen so..... not putting my name forward for PT elections, no. I have enough to worry about with real life ones lol.

Awesome! I don't really care about the coloring.

Having it a bit brighter would be nice.

It wasn't jut me, Standup actually started the ball rolling and I've just been a very loud cheerleader and throwing ideas around for a while until this last round. And plenty of people helped it happen so..... not putting my name forward for PT elections, no. I have enough to worry about with real life ones lol.

Pity, hope others will think about it though.

Here are some hue changes I made in photoshop:

Screenshot2010-08-11at123759PM.png

I like this one the best (the first one). I felt like the others were too dark/blue. The third one was alright too.

i think it's big plus was simplicity

of the shades posted by ellie, i think the last one works best

I missed the vote - but yeay! A flag! woo-hoo! :D

I like it- it's striking, purple's a good colour, and the black, grey and white go well with it.

Now, where can i get one! :D

When making a standard, I think it shoud definitely use web colors. The current flag uses "silver" and "purple." The dimentions are 640x361, which should probably be 640x360, so a 16:9 ratio. My examples are are at half-size, 320x180. So here are some flag using web colors, including the original A1 flag for reference.

Silver & Purple (is the silver too light?)

aceflagsilverpurple.png

Gray & Purple (this is the most middle shade of grey, but is it too dark?)

aceflaggraypurple.png

DarkGray & Purple (ironically this shade of gray is lighter; I personally like this one)

aceflagdarkgraypurple.png

[removed the different shades the purples... people seem fine with just, well, "purple."]

Edit: Link to my photobucket album of the asexuality flag graphics I'm making, since I feel like posting the png files here is lowering their quality a little for some reason: http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/ace%20flags/

aceflaggraypurple.png

I like this gray and purple best.

I didn't vote for it and I seriously doubt if I will ever use it. I don't mind the colors, but the design?

... meh.

No hostility or anything, though, and if people want to use it, fine, but I think that a true symbol has to evolve gradually through familiarity and usage, not be suddenly imposed from out of the blue.

In that sense, the AVEN logo will always symbolize asexuality to me. It has MEANING, not just colors.

Congrads to everybody involved for taking the initiative to DO something, though. That is worthy of :cake: for sure!

-GB

aceflaggraypurple.png

Me too. I think the purple could use with a bit of fiddling but if we're going for standard web colours - which is actually a great idea, then that combo does fit best.

Of course, it isn't just the web we have to think of, but real life and printing. Which means pantone colours. Ummm, anybody have a booklet with them in, or know somebody with one, or somebody who knows somebody with one? Cause pantone is the best way for standardising colours IRL for real flag makers and any printing you get done by printers and so on

I didn't vote for it and I seriously doubt if I will ever use it. I don't mind the colors, but the design?

... meh.

No hostility or anything, though, and if people want to use it, fine, but I think that a true symbol has to evolve gradually through familiarity and usage, not be suddenly imposed from out of the blue.

In that sense, the AVEN logo will always symbolize asexuality to me. It has MEANING, not just colors.

Congrads to everybody involved for taking the initiative to DO something, though. That is worthy of :cake: for sure!

-GB

This is true, I think we can come up with a design, and colours, but we can't force anybody to use it. If it sticks will be the question, if it's used and how often and where. I have already seen it used though, off-AVEN. And it isn't to take away from the AVEN triangle - don't think anybody was trying to do that at any point. In my minds they have different uses and hey, people stick country names on flags and logos on flags so no reason the two can't ever be combined if the 'user' wants lol.

The colours do mean something though, don't know if you saw the early parts of discussion. Black, grey, white, purple represents asexuality, demisexuality, sexuality and community - or the ace community anyway. Plus it' associated with the queer movement so there's that bonus too.

But yay cake!

Also, guys, we should try and spread this result to the places where we notified aces so they could vote for it. Which includes the various language forums we posted in. Any help on this, especially with the language thing, would be much appreciated.

Hurray for the flag! :D It's exciting to have one now, and I loved A1 from the get go.

DarkGray & Purple (ironically this shade of gray is lighter; I personally like this one)

aceflagdarkgraypurple.png

That variation is my personal favorite out of the options in the thread so far. It's a nice grey, not too dark or too light, and the purple is really purple. All of the other shades of purple seem far too blue.

Ultimately though, I'll be happy with whatever shades are chosen. The exact hue of the colors doesn't matter very much to me, so long as it's black, grey, white and purple.

*wants to go buy some clothes in those colors now*

corduroyjackalope

aceflaggraypurple.png

Exactly what I was thinking. I just don't know how to post pics yet. This is my favorite!

aceflaggraypurple.png

Me too. I think the purple could use with a bit of fiddling but if we're going for standard web colours - which is actually a great idea, then that combo does fit best.

Of course, it isn't just the web we have to think of, but real life and printing. Which means pantone colours. Ummm, anybody have a booklet with them in, or know somebody with one, or somebody who knows somebody with one? Cause pantone is the best way for standardising colours IRL for real flag makers and any printing you get done by printers and so on

Adobe photoshop tells the closest pantome color too. For the Gray & Purple flag, for "Pantone solid coated", it shows "Pantone 513 C" as the closest for the purple. 512 looks pretty close to me also. The grey is "Pantone 877 C". Edit: Black is now "Pantone 426 C" and we'll assume white paper.

877 & 512

[removed just to keep things simpler]

426 Black & 877 Gray & 513 Purple

aceflagpantone_426_877_513.png

So it's not to hard to convert any of the flags over with minimal fuss.

I also like the grey-and-purple, and think blue violet in particular is too blue.

I'm pleased that particular design got chosen, since it was my favorite and also since I painted a mug in those colors recently. I plan to fill it with tea.

Archived