Emilie Autumn

Guest Nightfire

Guest Nightfire

I'm not sure if this was discussed or not but I discovered that the famous Emilie Autumn is also an asexual Big surprise for me because asexual musicians are very rare and I'm an Emilie Autumn fan. I knew that she's bipolar but I always thought she was a bisexual or something :blink: I also never knew that she's an orphan and was raped :( With these big surprises, I respect her a lot more now, as a musician since I'm a musician, myself and asexual and hoping every day that one day I will be a famous asexual musician.

Opinions? You like Emilie Autumn? Are you surprised? Old news, I know but I'm curious about what you all think about her :D

phantomwriter

I do like Emilie Autumn! I'm honestly not surprised that she was raped because her songs reflect a resentment towards men...or more specifically, men's sexual desire for women. I did think she was sexual though, as there's certain sexual components to her music. (I'm not a huge fan or anything, and only have a few of her songs and poems). Perhaps she's just romantic? But anyways, it's nice to know. And it's great that she came out!

I think Emilie Autumn and Edward Gorey are the only celebrity aces I can think of off the top of my head. Emilie is an amazingly talented musician and an excellent singer; I respect her a ton as a person. She doesn't fit the common stereotype of what an asexual woman must be like-- clearly physically undesirable or otherwise just totally sexually naive-- and she's had a pretty rough life. (I kind of want to pick up her book, but I'm worried it'll be triggery for me; she does cover her rape and it's a disturbing set of topics in the first place.) But I really admire her for being out as ace (and IIRC, homoromantic) and busting up another set of stereotypes.

Member32486

i like her music, but not all of her songs, some i find pretty annoying actually. :unsure:

but as a person i do really respect her, her lyrics hit home to me when i was going through i tough time. so yes i like her, but i cant listen to her on a regular basis. it makes sense that she is bipolar to me now and that might be why i relate to her lyrics so well. as far as being asexual im not suprised, but i thought she was at least bisexual if not straight.

young.modern

I'm going through a really big Emilie Autumn phase right now, I haven't had an EA phase since I was 16, so it's good! I wish she would discus her asexuality a bit more, I generally find her a very fascinating woman.

Oh really?

That's quite cool.

I've only started listening to her recently,but i really like her music (Opheliac is a bit erm...brash for me though)

Another asexual musican is Mike Skinner (aka The Streets)- he writes such amazing lyrics <3

young.modern

Oh really?

That's quite cool.

I've only started listening to her recently,but i really like her music (Opheliac is a bit erm...brash for me though)

Another asexual musican is Mike Skinner (aka The Streets)- he writes such amazing lyrics <3

Mike Skinner is asexual? I love Mike Skinner!!

*googles*.

Does he mention it anywhere other than his Twitter?

I like some of her stuff musically but as a person and performance artist I think she's pretty awesome. She has a really interesting sense of style. I hope someday to be another addendum to the asexual musician list. :P

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I started a thread a while back called "my favorite singer is asexual", and it was about EA. So you know how much I love her from that :P Actually I don't really like her CD Enchant, but I listen to it because it's her. But every track on Opheliac is on my iTunes Top 25 Most Played.

btw she's actually biromantic, but she's currently very into her lady love, who is in her band.

To be honest, I don't like her music much. I've seen her live with the crumpets and it was an utterly fantastic show if more than a little risqué, I'd gladly go again, but the music does nothing for me.

I do agree that she is an amazing person though, and a fantastic performer.

Guest Nightfire

I started a thread a while back called "my favorite singer is asexual", and it was about EA. So you know how much I love her from that :P Actually I don't really like her CD Enchant, but I listen to it because it's her. But every track on Opheliac is on my iTunes Top 25 Most Played.

btw she's actually biromantic, but she's currently very into her lady love, who is in her band.

I had a huge feeling that she was a bi :P It was somewhere.

Nonetheless, I say she's one of my biggest inspirations and she has my utmost respect :) Someday I will follow my dream on becoming a famous asexual musician and perhaps be an asexual activist ^_^

I had a huge feeling that she was a bi :P It was somewhere.

Nonetheless, I say she's one of my biggest inspirations and she has my utmost respect :) Someday I will follow my dream on becoming a famous asexual musician and perhaps be an asexual activist ^_^

She is also one of my biggest inspirations. And as for the bi thing...the line "Running in the garden enjoying men, women and flowers" from the song "Marry Me" (on the Deluxe Edition of Opheliac) tipped off one of my friends. However I don't think EA is dendro-romantic. Okay, now I'm just being silly... :P

...the line "Running in the garden enjoying men, women and flowers" from the song "Marry Me" (on the Deluxe Edition of Opheliac) tipped off one of my friends. However I don't think EA is dendro-romantic.

I suspect you may have arrived at the right destination via the wrong road, as Marry Me isn't about Emilie, herself, but an unnamed protagonist who may or may not have been one of the wives of Henry the VIIIth (...I am, I am). ;-)

P.

...the line "Running in the garden enjoying men, women and flowers" from the song "Marry Me" (on the Deluxe Edition of Opheliac) tipped off one of my friends. However I don't think EA is dendro-romantic.

I suspect you may have arrived at the right destination via the wrong road, as Marry Me isn't about Emilie, herself, but an unnamed protagonist who may or may not have been one of the wives of Henry the VIIIth (...I am, I am). ;-)

P.

Um...yeah, I know, it's commonly believed to be written from Catherine Howard's perspective. It was a friend of mine who "arrived at the right destination", and I pointed out that it's not from EA's point of view...my friend still insisted she thought EA was bi from that line. -shrug- The "however I don't think EA is dendro-romantic" was just me being silly.

Lady Longshadow

I don't know a lot about EA, but I have heard a couple of songs of hers that I really like. It doesn't surprise me that she was abused since she talks about that fairly explicitly in the song Gothic Lolita. It does kind of surprise me that she's asexual though since she does project kind of a sexy image.

I don't know a lot about EA, but I have heard a couple of songs of hers that I really like. It doesn't surprise me that she was abused since she talks about that fairly explicitly in the song Gothic Lolita. It does kind of surprise me that she's asexual though since she does project kind of a sexy image.

Library Cat

This really surprises me, actually. She always struck me as sexual, because of her image... but this is a pleasant surprise! I love her music, her lyrics, and she's just a fascinating woman!

• 5 weeks later...

I really tried to like her but I just couldn't do it. It's just not my thing I guess. Also, the way she dresses confuses me. From her lyrics it seems like she doesn't like being an object of desire and then she goes around wearing little corsets and stuff. Even if it's not her intention to be provocative, it's obvious that people are going to interpret it that way.

I really tried to like her but I just couldn't do it. It's just not my thing I guess. Also, the way she dresses confuses me. From her lyrics it seems like she doesn't like being an object of desire and then she goes around wearing little corsets and stuff. Even if it's not her intention to be provocative, it's obvious that people are going to interpret it that way.

It's because she dresses like, and I quote, "an escapee from a Victorian asylum for wayward girls." Also, she thinks that one of the things men find most "scary" is women who are confidently sexy not because they want attention but because they are comfortable with their bodies. Despite the fact that she's asexual, she's comfortable being sexy. Eh, she explains it better in "Let the Record Show" on The Opheliac Companion (not to be confused with Opheliac).

It's because she dresses like, and I quote, "an escapee from a Victorian asylum for wayward girls." Also, she thinks that one of the things men find most "scary" is women who are confidently sexy not because they want attention but because they are comfortable with their bodies. Despite the fact that she's asexual, she's comfortable being sexy. Eh, she explains it better in "Let the Record Show" on The Opheliac Companion (not to be confused with Opheliac).

Thank you for the info. I'm not exactly familiar with her music/life so I'm really not one to judge. I also appreciate that you didn't get all RrrAAARRRR on me, because people (especially me) tend to get up-in-arms when people criticize their favorite musicians. :)

Studies show

Intelligent girls are more depressed because they know what the world is really like;

Don't think for a minute you can sit her down and tell her everything is going to be alright.

She knows

She is

A devil,

An angel -

No in between.

She speaks in the third person,

So she can forget that she's me.

^_^

P.

I adore Emilie Autumn, though I only have a few songs by her on my iPod... *slump*

I first fell in love for her voice. Then, I found out it was she playing the violin in her songs. Then, after Googling her, I found out she was a fan of corsets and had wonderfully dyed hair. Then, I found out she was a vegan, and had pet rats. THEN, I found out she asexual... And now, I'm pretty sure she is just a super-amazing-awesome version of me, and I'm the average kid counter part.

I love Emilie Autumn. I love how she defies the stereotype of asexuals (you know, she's incredibly pretty and is confident in her body).

Oh really?

That's quite cool.

Mike Skinner is asexual? I love Mike Skinner!!

*googles*.

Does he mention it anywhere other than his Twitter?

Nah he hasn't but he's been a bit under the radar recently

JJButterworth

I love Emilie Autumn! And I discovered her through AVEN, so this seems entirely appropriate. :)

Dido

• 2 weeks later...

You know what, she might be growing on me. It's too soon to tell, but I think I can appreciate her more when I'm angry. When I'm fine her stuff seems too melodramatic, but when I'm about to start yelling about how much I hate people creeping on me, I'm in the right place for it. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
ZombiesxArexLove

i like her but im not in love with her. sometimes her voice pisses me off, like when she gets repetitious. as outfedn said sometimes shes a bit to melodramtic, but when im in a certain mood it just right.

I really don't like her voice at all, but she plays pretty nice violin. It's nice to see that there's a celebrity out there who is openly ace.

• 1 year later...

Archived