TransWhatevers of AVEN

You must live in an historic town. :)

oops, i see an error in my previous post, the bbc documentary was about king william of orange. sorry, my error. my local town (2 miles - near enough) had welcomed king william to it as king james had looted it when he passed through. being in the republic of ireland, no mention of this is made in the local history.

i'd go into more but one day i might get another jeopardy question right :d

I hope that you get the Jeopardy! question! :)

*loves the pic of the old witches*

For Sam's and iff's perusal, here is a 100+year-old photo of a witch in front of my haunted house:

witchy.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure if she was looking for something or just hanging out or what. Or perhaps she was in the middle of some spell. 8)

• Like 1

Ah, the color's back. Here I thought we were going back in time!

Speaking of which, how much is left until the next picture show?

600px-BTTF3_001.jpg

I am patiently awaiting a signal of some sort, you see. A clapper.

• Like 2

In Back to the Future II, the gang landed in 21 October 2015 (one year from now). They had hoverboards. So, where are hoverboards today?

Well, a matter of hours ago (I think) Hendo reported that they hope to market their hoverboard next year (just in time for 2015!).

A few have already been sold, but they are expensive (and kind of noisy). Here is one in action:

• Like 2

this quote is highlighted in this interview with St. Vincent

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/article1471087.ece

‘I’m not one for gender or sexual absolutism. I fully support and engage in the spectrum’

shame i can't see the full article :( newspapers wanting people to buy newspapers :( :( what is this the 1990s?

a couple of weeks ago when i was out cycling, the poor person leaving a field who caught me singing out loud "i prefer your love" of st. vincents.

i might have turned red at being caught, but maybe the effort was another reason for the redness.

no offense to myself, but this is a better version of the song

In Back to the Future II, the gang landed in 21 October 2015 (one year from now). They had hoverboards. So, where are hoverboards today?

i remember looking at the jetsons when i was young and thinking, "wow, all this is just a couple of years away"

i hope the people in the year 3000 when watching repeats of futurama aren't too disappointed

• Like 2

Thanks for the intro to the androgynous St. Vincent ("the female David Bowie"). :) :cake:

I watched the Jetsons and Flintstones, too. :P

The hoverboard seems like a neat toy, but even if mass produced, would be a novelty, methinks. They should invest in hovercars instead. ;) But if I had a chance to ride or own a Hendo hoverboard for free, that would be way cool. Perhaps we should make our own. I read that they run on batteries and only last a few minutes, though.

• Like 1

I'm sure once they introduce and master off-metal travel, master micro-fusion cells for any electrical board needs, and have a working forward propulsion system, Hendo Hoverboards could be a very popular form of alternative transportation. Although, they probably would have to add breaks, because not being able to stop or grind back might be an issue for skaters wanting to stop their surfs.

Well, what I'm wondering about is if they were to be an effective mode of transport wouldn't they need a helluva lot more energy? It's not just the "couple of minutes" problem - they seem to be unable to go over sudden bumps (higher or slightly lower than the altitude at which they hover) and our surroundings are not really flat. I'm guessing they're heavily dependent on having the ground close below. On the other hand, if the hoverboard was less dependent on the distance to the ground, how would one control altitude?

One step at a time is likely the logic. They can't hover over non-metalic surfaces yet.

I'm sure once they start increasing the fields and directing them in arches at each other,

that they'll be able to get past that hurdle.

Getting a field on the front and back end, would allow the board to hit/predict changes or bumps in earth,

so that the board could adjust height (smoothly), by increasing or decreasing the field beneath it (on-the-fly).

That's easier said than done, since it would also requires detectors in the board to monitor field resistance.

But I think braking and getting an extremely efficient power-source would be much more important,

since you can't do anything without manipulating the field (and that requires strong and rapid power changes).

iff, I've been trying to picture somebody on a bicycle, singing that song,
but how on earth does one strike such a soft vocal range and pedal around on a bicycle with that beat?

I would garner that by saying, "You've might have accomplished quite a feat with your red head."

• Like 1

True. The hoverboards are more of a novelty now.

One company to which I have recently applied is starting to make batteries that can hold many times the energy of present batteries. That would allow longer travel. A car (with controls for speed and such) would then be more viable.

Car-shmar. We need more alternative transportation if we're not going to allow people to have basic human identification or licenses to drive :P
Give the batteries to the surfers, I say.

People will eventually develop controls and variable speeds if interest and opportunity were to remain sustained in that industry.

Right now, I think they're trying to capitalize on the basics and get kits out to people; so that it doesn't die.

• Like 1

Woots. Steampunk. :)

We also have Steampunk Androgyny.

0ebbe9e39b833279547fe0d96d4a83d2.jpg

I don't know who this is, but I do know that they are my new life goal. Plots to steal this look.

• Like 5

Woots. Steampunk. :)

We also have Steampunk Androgyny.

0ebbe9e39b833279547fe0d96d4a83d2.jpg

I don't know who this is, but I do know that they are my new life goal. Plots to steal this look.

You stole the words right from my mouth.

Maybe, when we both acheive this look, we can go as twins for halloween ;)

• Like 4

iff, I've been trying to picture somebody on a bicycle, singing that song,

but how on earth does one strike such a soft vocal range and pedal around on a bicycle with that beat?

ah see, i'm tone deaf when it comes singing, please i sang as it was in my head, not my ears so beat wise, it had no affect on me. i just like singing, with a song in my heart, i can do anything :)

i liked those steam powered giraffe songs :)

• Like 1

Sam has another Steampunk video, this time with Harder Better Faster Stronger. :)

This version is kind of neat. There are just enough lyrics to write them on your hand. I am not sure if the performer is trans or is just one of the growing number of guys that like nail polish, but neat polish. I am wanting to try this at home. :P

• Like 1

Sam has another Steampunk video, this time with Harder Better Faster Stronger. :)

oops, you beat my edit :)

i did look after and saw it was the cover of daft punk :)

This version is kind of neat. There are just enough lyrics to write them on your hand. I am not sure if the performer is trans or is just one of the growing number of guys that like nail polish, but neat polish. I am wanting to try this at home. :P

that video is really well done with the hands :)

• Like 1