Discussion 2.0: Asexual Flag

standup

There's not been a single comment on the Discussion 2.0 posts on either LJ or Dreamwidth let alone submissions.

Nor on Asexual Lesbians, although the thread I posted has been viewed 8 times last time I checked (I haven't been back into the thread, just the forum it's in, so they aren't all me lol)

There's not been a single comment on the Discussion 2.0 posts on either LJ or Dreamwidth let alone submissions.

The Dreamwidth comm is really quiet to begin with--I think it may only have had the one post. I feel like asexual_fandom is where asexual discussion is more on Dreamwidth, or using the LJ comm, since you can post on LJ with a Dreamwidth account and vice versa. I would post on asexual_fandom, but I'm kind of conflicted since this really isn't a fandom issue per se.

LJ's usually more active, though.

The Dreamwidth comm is really quiet to begin with--I think it may only have had the one post. I feel like asexual_fandom is where asexual discussion is more on Dreamwidth, or using the LJ comm, since you can post on LJ with a Dreamwidth account and vice versa. I would post on asexual_fandom, but I'm kind of conflicted since this really isn't a fandom issue per se.

LJ's usually more active, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing really. I mean, the last LJ post got some comments so we have those to refer to at least but I'd have thought they'd respond to this one too. And you're right, it's not a fandom issue. You wouldn't post a discussion thread about a revamp of the rainbow flag on lgbtfest on LJ.

Maybe a notice with a link back to the post? I'll have to check out the posting rules for asexual_fandom though, or ask the mods.

Spoofmaster

I'm wondering if anyone else from the LJ community has just come over here. I haven't been active on AVEN in ages, but since the discussion got rebooted I've just been reading and commenting here rather than starting a secondary conversation about the same thing over there.

The links brought a point to mind. We will have ti standardise colours. Now, I don't have a booklet of Pantone colours cause the things cost. If we have any graphic designers in here though they may be able to help with screen colour to 'real' colour conversion.

But I think once we get the design done and the colour sorted out we need to record those colour values in the RGB hex code for online stuff and cheap printers. But we also need to find the Pantone colours closest to them and then keep a good record otherwise any time someone orders something with the flag on from a printer or flag maker the colours will change all over the place.

We should use CYMK Color instead of RGB (For printing), CMYK is used for printing purposes. I think both should work (The # Codes) in switching, I'm not sure. I'll open up illustrator in a bit.

If we do the horizontal stripes flag, I'd personally prefer something like Ellie J's first flag slightly up the page, just maybe with grey stripes in it. I'm just a big stickler for symmetry and 1A is asymmetrical. I know some people are against the kind of thing I'm suggesting (and saw on the first thread) because of the number of stripes, but the American flag has thirteen of them and the Leather Pride flag has nine, so it's completely possible. I still like the idea of the diagonals, but I'm not opposed to a (symmetrical) horizontal flag.

Also, am I the only person here who thinks purple and black don't clash?

Thank you! :) Anyway the one (below?) it has the same design, but with grey for one white stripe. I'll make another version that has the grey strip more symmetrical to see how that looks.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I have a few flag suggestions. I went easy on the symbols this time.

NewAceFlagTwocopy.jpg

NewAceFlagThree.jpg

NewAceFlagOnecopy.jpg

The reason I have the chainy things in the third flag is that they are black rings; having them lined up together is my way of symbolizing asexual solidarity. You know, the black ring that one asexual person wears made into a more inclusive symbol. I don't know, I've been trying to cure cancer all day. (Literally. I work in a lung cancer research lab.)

have we had any flags from other avens/asexuality groups? Has anyone asked them? If you want a central email for them to email their designs i can arrange that.

It would be great if you would do this! Hotmail would be pretty easy to set up if you don't want spam on your real e-mail.

If we do the horizontal stripes flag, I'd personally prefer something like Ellie J's first flag slightly up the page, just maybe with grey stripes in it. I'm just a big stickler for symmetry and 1A is asymmetrical. I know some people are against the kind of thing I'm suggesting (and saw on the first thread) because of the number of stripes, but the American flag has thirteen of them and the Leather Pride flag has nine, so it's completely possible. I still like the idea of the diagonals, but I'm not opposed to a (symmetrical) horizontal flag.

Also, am I the only person here who thinks purple and black don't clash?

1A is symmetrical.. maybe not to exact proportions, but it is. (Unless you mean color-wise?) I like color symmetry too, in that case. :D

I personally think black and purple go really well together.

SpirallingSnowy

well there has just been a Project Team email address created:

AVEN.Project.Team@gmail.com

And if/when designs come in, i can post them up here.

What do you think??

I created this email in response to concerns that there was no central way to contact the Project Team. So i made a way :D

SpirallingSnowy

Asexuality - The Great Flag Debate!

Have created the survey above to gauge interest about all things Flag-ish. I will put this link, and the Project Team email in the first posts of this thread, and the original flag voting thread etc. ok??

SpirallingSnowy

Well i figured it atleast gauges a general idea of what people want over all, and working out what people think is most important.

SpirallingSnowy

also, can people from here please choose the AVEN - English forums option if they are on the english speaking forums aka here?? people have chosen non english and then posted english in the comments box :P There is an English option for a REASON ppls :D

Question 7 (I think it was 7) in that survey confused me somewhat.

Are the responses supposed to represent a single range of how much we care about each item?

Or should "definitely want" and "don't want" be considered as our opinions on whether or not we want an item, with the remaining options expressing a range of importance, like a 'yes/no?; how strongly do you hold that opinion?' type question, since we are able to select more than one option?

Or do "definitely want" and "don't want" indicate a definitive opinion on the item, with the other options indicating a willingness to discuss the item to some degree? I don't think I've been too clear here, but basically the "want" and "don't want" options would be separate from the importance scale, much like a 'none of the above' option or 'X' on the Kinsey Scale.

Further, is this asking about our preference for including things on/with/about the flag?

Or is it about how important it is to discuss each item?

I suspect it is the latter, but while some items seem more logical in an 'is it necessary to discuss the colour scheme?' way, others are more conducive to a 'do you want purple, white, gray and black on the flag?' phrasing.

As a final nitpick, "doesn't matter" sounds more like 'wholly unimportant' than 'between important and unimportant'.

SpirallingSnowy

well the whole point of that is so people can select whatever things best express their opinions. You can pick as many squares as you see fit that expresses how they feel about it. And the importance is how important any one person feel that particular thing is. Its done the way it is to gain a oera eor what most people want and allows for all levels of care and want, and how strongly someoone feels about it. And it was done quick becau getting it out there was more important than perfect wording. And as many people have already completed it i dont feel it is fair to npow change the meaning of it, as it was more a preliminary stage information gauge so we could atleast look at what people felt stronglyabuadidnt, what people felt was important. Not as a black and white stand point, of which we will dictate how this flag stuf progresses.

Filled it out, though now I can't see how it's going so slightly put out about that lol. If we were to do the final poll there that's a big disadvantage, I like seeing how polls I care about are going even if I've already voted and don't know who voted what just the number.

Shall put a link to that poll in the LJ and DW posts now.

And I've said it before and I've said it again, I'm not a fan of symbols and some are and what's more what symbols are the most obvious change group to group. The logical and best solution is to have everyone get what they want by having a blank flag with no symbol but with the option of one being added later. Like the leather pride flag, it always has a heart on it but it could just as easily not and if we make that a formality, the option, then that's good.

Also, whilst I want our flags to fit in with the other flags out there, particularly other LGBT related flags, can we please avoid looking like the Czech republic? I've got nothing against it, want to visit Prague some day and one of my fave characters come from there. But I don't want to look at our flag and keep thinking of theirs.

Oh, and what's with all the several shades of grey thing? We have to have one, I firmly agree, but you start putting tons of grey out there and it looks a bit cluttered and gives more focus to grey and white and takes away from the black which, symbolically, is a bit puzzling.

Guest fridayoak

I want the flag to be the 4 colours in 4 horizontal stripes. I'm fairly pro-flag and personally I don't like any of the symbols. I filled the survey in but it's asking a lot for people to keep commenting on this if they've already had their say on this or the other thread.

Yellington, as explained-

Black = absence of colour = absence of sexual attraction

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

(the above being the three colours present on the AVEN triangle, where the top half (the Kinsey Scale) is white and the bottom point, representing Group X (asexuality) is black.

Purple = the colour of the (AVEN) community, since the normal boards are purple and purple has become widely used in publicity, especially the parades.

Secondly, there is a new thread (linked in my sig) that addresses these kinds of issues since many other objections were brought up during the course of these threads. Please participate- the more the merrier.

Can we have "Sparkles" in each of the "Colours" ???

Most Asexuals Sparkle :D

SERIOUSLY ! :)

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

(the above being the three colours present on the AVEN triangle, where the top half (the Kinsey Scale) is white and the bottom point, representing Group X (asexuality) is black.

Purple = the colour of the (AVEN) community, since the normal boards are purple and purple has become widely used in publicity, especially the parades.

Secondly, there is a new thread (linked in my sig) that addresses these kinds of issues since many other objections were brought up during the course of these threads. Please participate- the more the merrier.

If you're making some animated .gif of the flag on the internet then yes. If as an official thing? NO. And not only because it's impossible to do that in any reasonable way when actually making the flag for real life. There is also the matter of, y'know, taste.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Has anyone linked Acebook to the flag discussions here?

I'm wondering if anyone else from the LJ community has just come over here. I haven't been active on AVEN in ages, but since the discussion got rebooted I've just been reading and commenting here rather than starting a secondary conversation about the same thing over there.

Yeah, I think that's definitely part of it. I came from the lj community too, but I've been following the discussion over here ever since the first post that called my attention to the flag creation. I'm pretty sure that I recognized at least one other person from lj on the voting topic, as well.

Has anyone linked Acebook to the flag discussions here?

Oh man, we forgot about acebook!

I have an account, can I copy/past the information post that has been posted on LiveJournal??

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

How... How did you know? :o This is why I hang out with all the virgins... *hides fangs*

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

How... How did you know? :o This is why I hang out with all the virgins... *hides fangs*

Hhahahaa, the sparkels thing is funny. Though if you want it that badly Shaggy (and you're not jokeing) all you need is spray glue and glitter. There you go. ^_^ Lol

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

If you're making some animated .gif of the flag on the internet then yes. If as an official thing? NO. And not only because it's impossible to do that in any reasonable way when actually making the flag for real life. There is also the matter of, y'know, taste.

... Black ... Gray ... White ... Purple !!

And You're talking about "taste" ??

Haaalllooooooo :P

Spot on Ellie J ... Glue & Glitter !!

(Although I hear Cale is a dab hand at sewing sequins :rolleyes: )

Hardly "impossible" bristrek, it merely requires a Modicum of Imagination to Soar above the Mediocre :)

You think it's actually possible to get an actual real life flag made by actual flag makers that actually properly sparkles and to be able to do it without most having to import some.... something especially and thus racking the costs up? Seriously?

Home made ones, for those that sow, could have sequins or something on it at least but having a flag that relies on each asexual person being able to sow is just plain stupid.

And yes, if done right the flag with those colours could look good, and as tasteful as many flags ever really get. Sparkling flag as in the actual proper version of it must sparkle? Yes that's several times bad.

If I'm sounding grumpy or OTT pissed off, sorry, just in a bit of a depressive and grrrrr/can-I-knock-myself-out-for-a-few-days/pathetic/teary mood at the moment.

You think it's actually possible to get an actual real life flag made by actual flag makers that actually properly sparkles and to be able to do it without most having to import some.... something especially and thus racking the costs up? Seriously?

Home made ones, for those that sow, could have sequins or something on it at least but having a flag that relies on each asexual person being able to sow is just plain stupid.

And yes, if done right the flag with those colours could look good, and as tasteful as many flags ever really get. Sparkling flag as in the actual proper version of it must sparkle? Yes that's several times bad.

If I'm sounding grumpy or OTT pissed off, sorry, just in a bit of a depressive and grrrrr/can-I-knock-myself-out-for-a-few-days/pathetic/teary mood at the moment.

All things are Possible for those with Faith bristrek ( And a little Money helps too :D )

I'm sure an actual Flag Maker would relish the challenge !! :)

And as for you being Grumpier than Moi ... "Inconceivable" !!

I am one of the "Curmudgeonly-Old-Farts-Lurking-In-Residence" of AVEN (COFLIR),

You are one of its Bright Energetic Achievers ...

Have some {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} and :cake: for all you've done to date,

and Dream of Shimmering Banners :D

Sparkles are a terrible idea to have on the original design. If you want to get sparkle spray or something to put all over your own flag, that's fine, but it's literally impossible to make one at a reasonable price with built-in sparkles.

Also, current results to "Do you want a flag to represent asexuality?":

Yes: 81.3%

No: 18.6%

Total votes: 236

First, off, excellent idea on the poll, SpiralingSnowy. I have submitted my opinions on it.

Discussion in this thread did lead me to a thought concerning the actual polling. I am now very in favor of off-site polling, largely so voters can NOT see the current polling results. Voters may be biased when they see which flags are and are not receiving votes, and by putting it offsite where current results cannot be seen, this eliminates that bias.

Mind you, there would also need to be some sort of check to make sure members only vote once.

Archived