Asexual Flag Voting (First Round)

standup

Asexual Flag Voting - Please Choose 3 from Each Category  

1. 1. "Simple" Flags Part One (Horizontal & Triangle)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • M
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
    • I would prefer not to have a flag.
  2. 2. "Simple" Flags Part Two (Vertical & Diagonal)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
  3. 3. "Symbol" Flags

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • M
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
  4. 4. Do you want a flag to represent Asexuality?

• Yes
    • No

Asexuality - The Great Flag Debate - Survey about the asexuality flag :) - Courtesy of Spiralling Snowy from the PT.

Project Team email address!

Welcome to the first round of voting for an Asexual Flag!

Guidelines:

- Please do not vote based on hue, size, or other irrelevant factors. The main focus is general appearance and design.

- Please choose only 3 flags from each category. I will take the winners and put them in another poll later.

- This round of voting will only be open until Sunday, July 11. Please inform your friends and make your opinion known!

- To vote, reference the flag legends below. Choose 3 flags from each category that you like the most, and vote for their corresponding letter above.

Voting Sheet Links (to open in a new window... they're too big for this page)

- "Simple" Flags One (Horizontal & Triangle)

- "Simple" Flags Two (Vertical & Diagonal) (missing M, just roll with it)

- "Symbol" Flags

++ Choice P

++ Choice Q

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to pm me or post below. :) I hope everyone finds this system to be satisfactory, let me know if it isn't. And of course, if we don't have enough votes in a week to consider enough voters to have participated, we can always extend the deadline.

After this round, I'll be taking the top three flags from each category and I'll put them into another poll. Each person can pick one from each group, and then those top three will move on to the final round of voting where one flag will be chosen. This process should take about three weeks, and I'm sure lots of debate and nitpicking will occur over that period of time. Once the last flag is decided I'll open a new thread where you guys can discuss what changes you would like to make, and if you would like to keep it "for sure."

For those concerned about reaching out to the other language forums, if you are able to reproduce the next rounds of polls, please do so. If you have accounts on other asexual communities other than AVEN, please spread the word to promote voting.

I feel like with a lot of the Symbol flags there's just too much going on.

Even with symbols, the more simple you are, the better.

But still, it was fun looking through them! I voted ^_^

I know what you mean, and one or two of the 'simple' flags have that problem too. But to each their own, best we see what the results are.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Er... can there be an option for "I don't think we should have a flag"?

Well, if we do end up having a flag, you don't have to use it in any way.

Eeeeeee, this thread is making me so happy! If and when we do pick a flag, I want one!

Also, standup, thank you for waiting for me to overcome my technical stupidity and figure out how to post images. It makes me happy to see my flaggies as options.

corduroyjackalope

I can't beleive we are accually voting on a flag!!! it's almost... historic. I'm also really glad that the one I voted for is in the lead (A)!

I think the majority of the community wants a flag. :/ If you would prefer not having one I understand, but I don't think it'll affect you too negatively if we do?

And no problem, you*hear! :) I'm glad everyone is excited. ^^

corduroyjackalope

I can't beleive we are accually voting on a flag!!! it's almost... historic. I'm also really glad that the one I voted for is in the lead (A)!

that would be the A in the first section.

So glad to finally be voting on this!

Overall I prefer the simple horizontal stripes design, but there are a couple of other designs that are decent enough that I wouldn't be averse to them. And I agree on the topic of simplicity VS symbols; the flag really shouldn't have that much going on.

ThePieMaker

But what if there are plenty of people in the community who don't want a flag? I think we must remember that most of the people probably haven't even seen this thread.

But what if there are plenty of people in the community who don't want a flag? I think we must remember that most of the people probably haven't even seen this thread.

I agree, it would be nice to have the option if this is going to become something official.

ThePieMaker

I agree, it would be nice to have the option if this is going to become something official.

Exactly, if it's going to official, it's not really fair to those who don't want a flag to represent our sexual orientation.

Maybe we should see about getting this pinned so it's easier to see?

I've got it in my signature, and if others do the same news will spread to others so they can come to vote. And y'know what? Anybody who doesn't want a flag doesn't have to use it in any way. Nobody is gonna force anybody to.

Y'know, there's this great Eddie Izzard sketch on the use and importance of flags.

ThePieMaker

And y'know what? Anybody who doesn't want a flag doesn't have to use it in any way. Nobody is gonna force anybody to.

That's not the point here. No matter what we do, there will still be a flag representing our orientation. Can't do anything about that. I would really appreciate it if those who don't want a flag have a say in this.

Aww I didn't have time to submit my flag idea... a grinning baffoon showing off a black ring stuffing themselves with cake whilst riding on a purple unicorn jumping through a flaming triangle.

But I'd also take "Don't want a flag"

Tyger Songbird

The flags were excellent. I voted.

ThePieMaker

Aww I didn't have time to submit my flag idea... a grinning baffoon showing off a black ring stuffing themselves with cake whilst riding on a purple unicorn jumping through a flaming triangle.

Now THAT is a flag I'd vote for :lol:

I say the flag should just be a white background with an Aven cake on it, haha....or Sassy's idea.

But I must agree with Ally on this, not everyone knows about this thread, heck I didn't even see it till now, or even knew anything about having a flag till right this second and I practically LIVE on Aven!

I really think 'official' things that have a big impact on the Asexual community should be made more visible. They should come up as an announcements banner on the front page, or maybe there could be a way to send a PM to all members when important things are in the pipeline.

To be honest i'm really not that arsed about a flag.

I added an extra question. Although, for the life of me, I have no idea why you wouldn't want one.

That's not the point here. No matter what we do, there will still be a flag representing our orientation. Can't do anything about that. I would really appreciate it if those who don't want a flag have a say in this.

You will now be able to have a say. Just keep in mind, this flag isn't just for you. It's for a community, something that people can identify with whether they like it or not. It will be useful; people can wave them in pride parades, put it on buttons to wear, make stickers for their cars. It's about unity. I'm sure that not everyone in the gay community appreciates having a rainbow for a flag - but it's more than that, it's a symbol, and that's what is important.

@Ninny, a moderator posted earlier in the ideas thread that the admin had been notified. I don't have much more power than that, I just took the fact that they knew about it and kept going.

Those of us who have already voted can't vote "yes" in the bottom bit of the poll. Or "no" as the case may be.

ThePieMaker

Could you add the option to each section of the poll? I can't simply vote no in that part without having to cast a vote in each section... which defeats the purpose.

And thank you for adding the option. I really do appreciate it.

I'm with Standup. TPTB are aware of this, there's not much we can do. We can't go shouting in every topic about it or PM every member (or at least I don't think you can) so the most you can do is tell friends on here about it and stick it in signatures or something.

That's a hint guys.

I think it should be made a sticky but I don't have the power for that, nor am I the one running this show.

And I also agree that not all gay people are gonna want or use the rainbow flag and hell, given it's also used as a generic LGBT flag quite often there's gotta be bi and trans people who don't appreciate it as an overall flag, preferring their own. Which is a valid point, and I agree more attention needs to be given to non-gay LGBT people. And some who don't want either flag or aren't a part of any Pride or community related stuff and so on.

But a flag is good, a flag is useful. It's an easily adaptable symbol, it's a sign of unity that'll be useful in any number of ways. And it gets you taken more seriously.

I again refer to the Eddie Izzard sketch. He's got a point behind that humour.

Sure. It's no problem, I want people's opinions to be reflected as accurately as possible.

I'm sorry that previous voters can't vote "Yes," but I did some math and roughly 15 people have already shared their votes in each section (about 44-47 votes for each category were cast, so dividing that by 3 = roughly 15 people.) So, 15 Yes votes should be added to whatever the current count is.

Sure. It's no problem, I want people's opinions to be reflected as accurately as possible.

I'm sorry that previous voters can't vote "Yes," but I did some math and roughly 15 people have already shared their votes in each section (about 44-47 votes for each category were cast, so dividing that by 3 = roughly 15 people.) So, 15 Yes votes should be added to whatever the current count is.

There's a thing at the top telling you how many people have cast their votes.

LOL. Alright. I guess 20 should be added then... people must not have voted all three times. My bad.

ThePieMaker

I added an extra question. Although, for the life of me, I have no idea why you wouldn't want one.

I can tell you why.

I think it trivializes us. I also think it creates a sort of us vs. them attitude. Not to mention, there are so many varieties in the asexual community that I think eventually flags would pop up for each section, creating more divide.

The asexual community has existed so far without a flag and it's been fine. Why do we need one now? It makes us look like we're insecure with our identity. Like we need a symbol to tell us who we are and to give us pride

I understand pride and community, but you don't need a flag to create that. We have pride. We have a community. We are constantly growing without a flag.

I'm just saying we are so much more than a flag. We don't need a flag. We are here. We exist. I, and as you see there are others as well, don't need or even want a flag to represent that we don't experience sexual attraction. I am so much more than a symbol. You are all so much more than a symbol. If you think a flag will bring us together more, then I feel that maybe the community has other things it needs to sort out. Flags don't solve things.

And, yes, I understand this is about the community. If I felt like I was the only one who opposed it, I wouldn't have made the fuss, but perhaps, just perhaps, the community doesn't feel like they need a flag.

I'm with Standup. TPTB are aware of this, there's not much we can do. We can't go shouting in every topic about it or PM every member (or at least I don't think you can) so the most you can do is tell friends on here about it and stick it in signatures or something.

I didn't mean standup personally PM everyone, that'd be silly, haha, and take forever, I meant if it were possible for an admin to make an announcement banner or send a general PM or something (I'm not sure how the admin stuff works, so it was only a suggestion). And I meant in general for 'big' things taking place in the Ase community, whether it be a visibility project, a flag, publications or whatever, just so that everyone gets the chance to see what's going on and have their say :)

Of course you can't get EVERY user to give their say (many memebers aren't even active for starters and some may not be bothered about things) but I think the more visible these things are the better

I can tell you why.

I think it trivializes us. I also think it creates a sort of us vs. them attitude. Not to mention, there are so many varieties in the asexual community that I think eventually flags would pop up for each section, creating more divide.

The asexual community has existed so far without a flag and it's been fine. Why do we need one now? It makes us look like we're insecure with our identity. Like we need a symbol to tell us who we are and to give us pride

I understand pride and community, but you don't need a flag to create that. We have pride. We have a community. We are constantly growing without a flag.

I'm just saying we are so much more than a flag. We don't need a flag. We are here. We exist. I, and as you see there are others as well, don't need or even want a flag to represent that we don't experience sexual attraction. I am so much more than a symbol. You are all so much more than a symbol. If you think a flag will bring us together more, then I feel that maybe the community has other things it needs to sort out. Flags don't solve things.

And, yes, I understand this is about the community. If I felt like I was the only one who opposed it, I wouldn't have made the fuss, but perhaps, just perhaps, the community doesn't feel like they need a flag.

I don't think it's trivial at all. Every country has a flag, whether their citizens are patriotic or not. Every other sexual orientation has a flag, too, as well as some that aren't even really orientations at all. Nothing about having a flag would cause people to think negatively of asexuals. If anything, it may increase their respect, and cause them to recognize the orientation as more established and well-organized. It's not that having a flag would create community, it just adds to it. Think of it like putting a cherry on top of a delicious piece of pie (or cake, as it may be!)

I don't think many "sub group" flags would wind up emerging. Many people, I imagine, would be satisfied with just one.

Archived