Asexual Flag Thread

standup

Errmmm.... Bump.

Surely people have more designs for this?

Stripes, crosses, bars, symbols... I think we've covered most of the main ideas for flags.

I'd like to open voting tomorrow since we have pretty much every design covered... I know people have been advising against it, but... :/ Plus, the first set of polls will be open for probably a week. If any really nice designs get added during that time I'm sure I could add them into the second round.

Thoughts?

Can we have a poll where we can vote for more than one flag? Just in case we can't make our mind up.

Polls open tomorrow sounds good, don't want everyone to forget about it y'know? And tell your friends on here, the more voters there are the more legit it i.

But yeah, first round multiple votes, second round only one? Unless we end up needing three, eeep.

And Pride is tomorrow, weeee! Should go get some sleep then. But Pride!

Can we have a poll where we can vote for more than one flag? Just in case we can't make our mind up.

Yup. :)

flyingtoaster

I agree we've covered most of the possible designs (stripes, triangles, crosses, bars...), but here are just a couple more ideas. I tried to take most of the advice here (simple, no crosses, no obvious connection to national/well-known flags...), and tried not to repeat what someone's already done.

Most use the 'golden ratio' (1.618:1) to divide the space into two or four segments, then on designs with white/grey/black stripes, the space is divided equally among them. Some have white/black gradients, which more accurately depicts the Kinsey scale, but would make producing real flags a... challenge.

goldenquadrants2.png

goldgradquads.png

(Two more coming...)

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

How do I upload my flag images?

I have six flag images that I would like to show people. No matter what image hosting site I use or what file type I use, AVEN tells me that the "file extension" is not allowed on this board. Is this huge font going to make my fellow AVENites realize I need help?

Maybe it's just you, maybe email them to another member who could have a go?

First copy the pic URL into your address bar and press enter. If just the usage pips up, good. If it's a page with the picture in it that's your problem. Right click and chose 'view image'.

Make sure the end of the good address is .png/.jpg/.gif

Take that good address and copy it into the drip down box when you click the photo icon in the bar above where you type your post.

flagstripe.jpg

aflag2.png

Very much adoring these two! I'd also love to see the 'ring' symbol played with a bit more... maybe I should whip out MS Paint.

Just a two cents: I understand how people want to have our traditional half-black inverted triangle on our flag... but to be frank, I've never thought it looked aesthetically pleasing at all. Seeing it pasted on a flag reminds me of those signs that have lame MS Word clipart pasted all over them in an attempt to make them look 'cool.' It makes it hard for me to take the flag seriously.

Also--and this is purely from a graphic designer standpoint--gradients on any flag, or any logo in general, are a big no-no. Not only are they expensive, they look unprofessional.

Lord Happy Toast

Why do we need an asexual flag? We've been fine for quite a while without one, and other than the rainbow flag, none of the ones on Wikipedia are particularly recognizable as symbols.

Maybe it's just you, maybe email them to another member who could have a go?

Hahaha...that is a good idea.

First copy the pic URL into your address bar and press enter. If just the usage pips up, good. If it's a page with the picture in it that's your problem. Right click and chose 'view image'.

Take that good address and copy it into the drip down box when you click the photo icon in the bar above where you type your post.

Thanks, bristrek, I will try that.

Well, the bisexual flag and the transgender flag are both recognisable. To anyone involved in this anyway.

You don't have to use the flag if you don't want to. Would be good for visibility stuff though.

Why do we need an asexual flag? We've been fine for quite a while without one, and other than the rainbow flag, none of the ones on Wikipedia are particularly recognizable as symbols.

Personally, I disagree. The bisexual flag is gaining recognition and the trans flag is as well. Flags help to spread the word about orientations, as well as give people something to be proud of. They also work awesomely at pride parades.

@ you*hear*but*do*you*listen - make sure your files are saved as .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .gif. (I'm not actually sure if .bmp will work on this forum, but .png is always best... it saves clearest.) And once they're saved as a good file, uploaded, and you want to put them here, use image tags around the direct URL.

Example: (do not use spaces)

avenflag.jpg

I would LOVE this one on a button. Can we have a button like this?

For the flag, though, I agree that it should just be stripes, to minimize complexity and controversy and to be consistent with other pride flags. My vote is for the one I linked above minus the triangle - just horizontal bars of black, grey, white, and purple.

Thanks, bristrek, I will try that.

Reading your posts I'm pretty sure that the problem is the file name/extension. You can't post an image that doesn't have the prior extensions and some hosting sites don't name files like that to prevent remote linking. If it's too much trouble, maybe you can just give the link to the page where the images are hosted?

CaleCaesar

Does a sexual orientation...really need a flag?

corduroyjackalope

avenflag.jpg

I would LOVE this one on a button. Can we have a button like this?

For the flag, though, I agree that it should just be stripes, to minimize complexity and controversy and to be consistent with other pride flags. My vote is for the one I linked above minus the triangle - just horizontal bars of black, grey, white, and purple.

I like this idea the best.

The others have them, including things like polyamory, bear pride, BDSM...

They are for use at marches, pride events, booths...for easily identifying which group is which.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen, I'm just waiting on your ideas before I get the poll started. If you would like to email them to me, just send me a pm.

asexual cake

The others have them, including things like polyamory, bear pride, BDSM...

They are for use at marches, pride events, booths...for easily identifying which group is which.

Perhaps not the sexual orientation, but they're extremely useful for the "movement" (of sorts) for its visibility/recognition (or, for others, rights).

As well as logos, merchandise, etc. They and other symbols are very useful for marking material as specifically related to the orientation (or, for the trans flag, gender identity), which can be useful a such things as Ambrosia mentioned. Particularly at things like parades and booths, they create an image of unity (as in, linking things together as a group), and can signal their general purpose across distances and to more people than actual text.

AceFlagcopy.jpg

OMG I GOT IT TO WORK. bristrek, you were right that I was using the address for the page, not the IMG code. Thanks for the help, and thanks to everybody else who gave advice or offered to let me email them my flaggies. :D

AceFlag1copy.jpg

AceFlag2copy.gif

AceFlag3copy.gif

AceFlag4copy.gif

AceFlag5.gif

Perhaps not the sexual orientation, but they're extremely useful for the "movement" (of sorts) for its visibility/recognition (or, for others, rights).

As well as logos, merchandise, etc. They and other symbols are very useful for marking material as specifically related to the orientation (or, for the trans flag, gender identity), which can be useful a such things as Ambrosia mentioned. Particularly at things like parades and booths, they create an image of unity (as in, linking things together as a group), and can signal their general purpose across distances and to more people than actual text.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I'll work on getting the poll started. :)

If we're still allowed to submit ideas, I was thinking something like this, but cleaned up properly, considering I made it on MS Paint. And since I know some people were averse to large amounts of purple, the colours could be moved around, etc. Anyway.

And yes, I know it's kind of similar to the flag of Trinidad and Tobago, but it faces the other direction, and the colours are different, so maybe no one would really notice. I just liked the idea of diagonals.

flagn.jpg

I LIKE IT. :cake:

me too!

Thirded.

Hurrah! This has just made my day. My week, actually. :D

WünderBâhr

I figured on joining the bandwagon here. So, here are my contributions:

#14761441160_71694e5b87.jpg

#24761543142_25baaec674.jpg

Guest fridayoak

I like the colours black and purple but I don't think they really work that well together next to each other so it's a shame that these are the two colours of asexuality. Maybe it's just me, it just seems like they clash rather than compliment.

carried in bags

aflag2.png

flag+3.JPG

I really like these two

Archived