Asexual Flag Thread

standup

flag+2.JPG

I'm feeling artistic.

I'm going to apologize for using paint, and being colourblind as hell.

I think that's purple...

please have no cross on it. Not all asexuals are christian and I will not feel comfortable having a symbol of a belief I don't have on a flag that is going to symolize me too. I can't be alone? I am not sure you have thought about it that way though because crosses is a part of so many flags...

Here are my flags, made quickly in Paint:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-8.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

liked this one best

but I would prefer all black flag

I also like the stripe, but why do we need so many? I would stick to two or three, because I think it's confusing when it's too many of them. Like black and purple or black, gray and purple. What about having black at the tip, gray in the middle and then purple?

Ok, I made some:

Screenshot2010-07-01at12132AM.png

I like the horizontal strips, they look more "professional", are cheaper to make, and they look more like the LGBT flags.

Made some vertical:

Screenshot2010-07-01at12326AM.png

and diagonal:

Screenshot2010-07-01at12902AM.png

To the person who wanted plaid so badly: :P

Screenshot2010-07-01at12012AM.png

And a Silly one:

flag1.jpg

:blink: My first image won't work in my other post, I've tried, so here are my horizontal ones (my fist pic):.... now it does? :blink:

TheMuffinMan

Okay dudes so like

Picture this

My suggestion is that we have a stylized black fist, punching a hole in a tank.

It makes perfect sense, okay, hear me out

The gays get a lot of guff, right? It's because of their rainbow flag. But like, people get one look at our flag? And their only thoughts will be "Oh fuck."

They'll know not to fuck with us, dudes! Back me up here my fellow chatsters

They loved this in chat

No we didn't Muffin. :P Dream on. :lol:

I feel like we should avoid horizontal bars.

It's very LGBT... and many asexuals do not want Asexuals to be part of the LGBT.

I like the bars, and precisely for this reason. Regardless of prevailing opinion regarding whether asexuality should be included in LGBTQetc., it does make some modicum of sense to link some of our symbols since we are an "alternative" sexual identity. Like, that wikimedia page has the flags for polyamory and BDSM, neither of which are "officially" a part of LGBT, but both of which are deviations from the "default" sexual identity being a monogamous hetero one.

...I'm not sure I'm making sense.

The longest version of the acronym I have ever seen was on an invite to a "rainbow ball" ("gay prom" for college students, held in my area yearly, as part of a weekend long gathering with bunches of other activities) It was "LGBTQQIA". It caused a lot of discussion at my school, because they didn't state what the new/extra letters stand for. Example: "What the hell is an 'I'?" (Intersexed) "Why does it have two Q's?" (Questioning), etc

Asexy Plaid is a great idea but.... not a replacement for a flag.

And guy, look at the Leather Pride flag, it's all dark blue and black except one bit of white. It's a fair bit darker than most of the options on here.

They might not be colourful, but most of 'em aren't dark and some of the best pictures are b/w. *puts on a fake posh voice* We're cultured don't you know.

Purple plaid awareness ribbons :D Everyone else gets one, the ace one can be awesome!

Ok, I made some:

I like the first one on that, it's simple. I also think the grey doesn't go well, with the black, white and purple it's too many colours.

Here's a few ideas of mine

flag1d.jpg

flag2v.jpg

Ok, I made some:

I like the first one on that, it's simple. I also think the grey doesn't go well, with the black, white and purple it's too many colours.

Here's a few ideas of mine

flag1d.jpg

flag2v.jpg

The first one looks to much like the Norwegian flag, it's was a nice idea though.

Thank you! :)

The first one looks to much like the Norwegian flag, it's was a nice idea though.

I just looked at all the national flags there are and tried a few designs that hadn't been posted yet.

I just looked at all the national flags there are and tried a few designs that hadn't been posted yet.

it has also got a cross in it and I don't think asexuality should present any religion

it has also got a cross in it and I don't think asexuality should present any religion

How is anything presenting religion? :blink:

Whilst that design is common to countries or regions with Nordic heritage and is usually seen as simply that (another reason to not do it) crosses on flags do, quite often, come from the cross symbol of Christianity. Even when the cross is diagonal and technically a saltire. Much like a crescent moon from Islam.

I don't think they're always meant like that but the long association is there, and whilst we're all rather used to it in nation flags it's be nice to stay clear of it in a flag we're making brand new and for people of many religious faiths (and none). It'd be nice if crosses didn't have that symbolism in the way they do now but as is it can be rather alienating.

I'd also comment that it may not be a good idea to have a crescent, nine pointed star, star of David, pentagram, pentacle, aum, khanda, taiji, torii, flaming chalice, FSM, darwin fish/giant A or any other such symbol. To be fair.

asexual cake

I agree that the flag shouldn't be too closely associated with either religious or national symbols.

Which is part of why making it mirror the other LGBTQetc. flags is a better course of action, since we actually are at least similar to the other things associated with the alphabetsmoosh of queerness, regardless of whether we're a large (or at all) part of that community.

It's very LGBT... and many asexuals do not want Asexuals to be part of the LGBT.

I like the bars, and precisely for this reason. Regardless of prevailing opinion regarding whether asexuality should be included in LGBTQetc., it does make some modicum of sense to link some of our symbols since we are an "alternative" sexual identity. Like, that wikimedia page has the flags for polyamory and BDSM, neither of which are "officially" a part of LGBT, but both of which are deviations from the "default" sexual identity being a monogamous hetero one.

The longest version of the acronym I have ever seen was on an invite to a "rainbow ball" ("gay prom" for college students, held in my area yearly, as part of a weekend long gathering with bunches of other activities) It was "LGBTQQIA". It caused a lot of discussion at my school, because they didn't state what the new/extra letters stand for. Example: "What the hell is an 'I'?" (Intersexed) "Why does it have two Q's?" (Questioning), etc

If you really wanted to, you could make it LGBTQAIPQP (or some variation thereof), for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Asexual Intersex Pansexual Questioing Polyamorous, but I've taken to using LGBTQetc. because it includes all of the minorities-within-the-minority in two ways, both as "queer" and as "etc.," for anything that possibly could have been left out. I also like the way it looks.

sinisterporpoise

Is it odd that many people north of the Mason Dixon line think that people who complain about the confederate flag are being ridiculous?

Put a stripe down the middle and it could be the Union Jack, which was my first impression.

Is it odd that many people north of the Mason Dixon line think that people who complain about the confederate flag are being ridiculous?

Put a stripe down the middle and it could be the Union Jack, which was my first impression.

Well, stripe down the middle both horizontally and vertically. It looks more like the Scottish flag with St. Andrew's cross actually which is what I usually associate that design with. Or St. Patrick's cross which is easily associated with Ireland. Both of which together make up that diagonal cross part of the union flag.

ETA: I say 'union flag' rather than 'union jack' cause it technically isn't called the union jack unless it's being flown on a ship or something. And as we're talking about flags, might as well use the proper terms eh?

Percy McKean

Could we at least cut down on the amount of purple then? If we must have it, maybe it could be one of the smaller stripes/bars/diagonals or whatever.

Weeeell, I thought I'd jump in a few ideas (sorry for spamming, I jut finnished doing them so.... and I promise I'm off to clean the bathroom now lol)

1. aceflag-bris1.png

2. aceflag-bris2.png

3. aceflag-bris3.png

4. aceflag-bris4.png

5. aceflag-bris5.png

6. aceflag-bris6.png

ETA: And I rather like the purple. But if we have a series of run-off votes then we can narrow down the ones we like and so forth. Umm, do we have any sort of 'we ought to try and have the vote at such'n'such' ideas people?

Could we at least cut down on the amount of purple then? If we must have it, maybe it could be one of the smaller stripes/bars/diagonals or whatever.

:blink: Why? We have been using purple for a lot of things asexuality related, and it makes the flag not look dreary and depressing.

Weeeell, I thought I'd jump in a few ideas (sorry for spamming, I jut finnished doing them so.... and I promise I'm off to clean the bathroom now lol)

6. aceflag-bris6.png

ETA: And I rather like the purple. But if we have a series of run-off votes then we can narrow down the ones we like and so forth. Umm, do we have any sort of 'we ought to try and have the vote at such'n'such' ideas people?

hey! Really liked number 6. Plain and nice! Not confusing and not too much white.

A diagonal cross wouldn't be a symbol of Christianity, and if the cross was smaller and right in rhe middle it wouldn't resemble the Confederate flag. It could actually be a symbol of asexuality (as in NO sex). I was thinking something like this:

avenflag.jpg

Well, not exactly like this (I am not very talented), but you get the point.

(Sorry if this comes off as a bit defensive.) I'd assume you wouldn't think much of someone complaining about a swastika, particularly if they were Jewish?

As a minority who's grown up in the American South who would really, really, really like for the country to be as "post-racial" as it attests to being, the Confederate battle flag carries a lot of negative connotations. I won't go into details about my personal experiences... But I'll say it's a painful history, and remnants of that history isn't completely gone. I don't care anyone says, it's become a symbol of racism to many.

Anyhow, I agree that we stay away from any design that resembles the Confederate Battle Flag, and any religious symbolism. And I'm still a vehement supporter of the purple~

sinisterporpoise

What an awful comparison. Sorry, but the Stars and Bars isn't in itself a symbol of oppression and racism. While I think it's unnecessary for some local person carrying a truck to display one, in the South, I imagine it's seen as part of their heritage. The Civil War was not fought to end oppression, and ending slavery was added only as an afterthought.

But as a former Mormon certainly has no idea what it's like to be a member of a religious minority. Certainly I've never been asked if I was a Satanist or that annoying question about the 144,000 who get into Heaven which is not a part of Mormon thought.

Typical Power

Blah, I really fail at flag making that doesn't resemble something that we wouldn't want to resemble.

I tried making a flag of Asexy triangles, but it came out as a star of david.

The second triangle flag turned out to be a freaking Nazi flag... :angry:

blah...

I live right next to the line and still see some pickup trucks with giant confederate flags on them waving from the back. Racism is still a problem in the US, although not as common, and I don't think having a flag with an X on it is a good idea. I know you may not associate the flag with racism, but I promise, people in the south don't use it to "remember the war" or have "southern pride"... it mostly used by whites to show their distaste for anyone non-white. Anyway, it's not a good idea to use that design because for one, it DOES resemble the confederate flag, and two, because it makes people uncomfortable (which should be reason enough).

These flag submissions all look great, but reading through the feedback I think I may exclude flag submissions that have symbols on them (or put them in their own poll category), for the reason that these symbols can be misinterpreted and there have been several objections already. My opinion is to keep it simple with stripes, for two reasons:

1. They're cheaper to reproduce in factories for people who want to buy them or use them in parades

2. Stripes sticks to the LGBT pride flags theme, and since asexuality is pretty much a branch off of LGBT, it makes sense to have stripes

In a few days I'll open voting and keep the polls up for a few days, then move on and make a poll for the winners of the previous polls, etc etc. I guess there should be a final winner in about a week.

I live right next to the line and still see some pickup trucks with giant confederate flags on them waving from the back. Racism is still a problem in the US, although not as common, and I don't think having a flag with an X on it is a good idea. I know you may not associate the flag with racism, but I promise, people in the south don't use it to "remember the war" or have "southern pride"... it mostly used by whites to show their distaste for anyone non-white. Anyway, it's not a good idea to use that design because for one, it DOES resemble the confederate flag, and two, because it makes people uncomfortable (which should be reason enough).

These flag submissions all look great, but reading through the feedback I think I may exclude flag submissions that have symbols on them, for the reason that these symbols can be misinterpreted and there have been several objections already. My opinion is to keep it simple with stripes, for two reasons:

1. They're cheaper to reproduce in factories for people who want to buy them or use them in parades

2. Stripes sticks to the LGBT pride flags theme, and since asexuality is pretty much a branch off of LGBT, it makes sense to have stripes

In a few days I'll open voting and keep the polls up for a few days, then move on and make a poll for the winners of the previous polls, etc etc. I guess there should be a final winner in about a week.

I agree: Cheaper, fits in with the LGBT (Think about it guys, we are a part of them, we participate in the Pride parades hence why we need a flag in the first place) and, I hope this doesn't sound rude, if not done well flags with symbols are kinda tacky.

What an awful comparison. Sorry, but the Stars and Bars isn't in itself a symbol of oppression and racism. While I think it's unnecessary for some local person carrying a truck to display one, in the South, I imagine it's seen as part of their heritage. The Civil War was not fought to end oppression, and ending slavery was added only as an afterthought.

I'm well aware of the history of the Civil War. Things are symbolic because of the meaning people give to them. There's also the fact that battle flag was also adopted by groups such as the KKK, and nowadays just tends to be brandished by people who are more... conservative in their points of view, in more ways than one. Ask any black person in the Deep South of their feelings on that flag; even if they recognize its historical significance they'll probably tell you it makes them feel at least uneasy.

I agree: Cheaper, fits in with the LGBT (Think about it guys, we are a part of them, we participate in the Pride parades hence why we need a flag in the first place) and, I hope this doesn't sound rude, if not done well flags with symbols are kinda tacky.

I definitely agree on the symbols issue.

If you really wanted to, you could make it LGBTQAIPQP (or some variation thereof), for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Asexual Intersex Pansexual Questioing Polyamorous, but I've taken to using LGBTQetc. because it includes all of the minorities-within-the-minority in two ways, both as "queer" and as "etc.," for anything that possibly could have been left out. I also like the way it looks.

Actually, whenever I see an "A" on the acronym, it doesn't stand for asexual. It stands for "Ally". But that could perhaps be because, as a member of a gay/straight alliance, I usually see it used on GSA events for my college, other colleges, or the Bridge Alliance (Which is like non-student, grownup GSA)

Archived