Asexual Flag Thread

standup

I agree, it does look like the confederate flag a little bit. :/ Good job, though. I'd be all for it if it wasn't for that.

asexual cake

I don't know how fantastic of an idea this kind of triangle is. Because I know it's an asexy symbol, and you know it's an asexy symbol, but I fear that the ignorant sexual hordes might make a somewhat different association.

Hmmm.. maybe.

But triangles seem to be common of pride symbols to begin with (even though I can only think of the pink triangle of the top of my head..) so I think it would be pretty safe.

Well, it's not the triangle itself so much as the shading.

And I'll agree that the cross design, while nice, is too reminiscent of the Confederate flag for me.

Oh good, are we implying that I'm not the only one who parses the non-gradient triangle as a view of adult female genitalia? The black shading looks like pubic hair.

Makes sense it wouldn't occur to you, Acer--I'm in Georgia, and I have to put up with assholes who put it on pickup trucks down here. So yeah.

I rather like #1 on the 'added in this thread'. Looks like a flag of alternate sexuality (or related) people, isn't too complicated and so on.

ETA: The AVEN triangle has, I think, become a general asexual symbol even outside this forum. I've seen it on non-AVEN but asexual sites. It is a triangle and thus easily put in with the other sexuality symbols, which is also useful.

Typical Power

The cross reminds me too much of the Confederate Flag for me to be comfortable with it. I have to put up with it in plenty of places down here, I don't want to associate it with us.

Also, duh, I forgot about pride marches. I've never been to one, so it's not hard to forget.

Hmm I didn't think of that...

I rather like #1 on the 'added in this thread'. Looks like a flag of alternate sexuality (or related) people, isn't too complicated and so on.

By comparison, which do you like better, that one or this one?

aflag22.png

I really like the bars, particularly the one Mihai posted!

Just for reference, Wikipedia has a list of LGBT symbols, just in case people don't know what they tend to look like and/or like some inspiration. Man I reference that site too much

'That' one, this one looks like you're trying to put in a gradient but can't cause flag makers won't do it and are going for second best. Also, whilst the first one has 'ace, demi, sexual, ace community' this has another grey that.... I can't think of a meaning for. It's just there to try and be a gradient.

ETA:

Ummm, do you mean the one Mihai responded to, or the one they posted under the response? Because the second flag is the flag of Estonia, a country, and can't really use for that reason and isn't new. The first wasn't made by Miahai either.... nothing against you Miahai just wanted to clear that up.

'That' one, this one looks like you're trying to put in a gradient but can't cause flag makers won't do it and are going for second best. Also, whilst the first one has 'ace, demi, sexual, ace community' this has another grey that.... I can't think of a meaning for. It's just there to try and be a gradient.

Fair enough :D

I still think they all look like flags for depression. It's the colors - on something big like a flag it's hard to make them look "colorful".

Typical Power

I saw we all join the Asexy Plaid Movement, and sting up a purple flannel. :P

Asexy Plaid is a great idea but.... not a replacement for a flag.

And guy, look at the Leather Pride flag, it's all dark blue and black except one bit of white. It's a fair bit darker than most of the options on here.

They might not be colourful, but most of 'em aren't dark and some of the best pictures are b/w. *puts on a fake posh voice* We're cultured don't you know.

ETA:

Ummm, do you mean the one Mihai responded to, or the one they posted under the response? Because the second flag is the flag of Estonia, a country, and can't really use for that reason and isn't new. The first wasn't made by Miahai either.... nothing against you Miahai just wanted to clear that up.

Sorry, I guess I was mistaken. It was the one that standup originally posted here.

I think most, if not all of the pride flags are essentially gradiated bars, so most of the bar flags are in line with the established pattern. Plus, I dunno, I guess I like gradients.

Sorry, I guess I was mistaken. It was the one that standup originally posted here.

I think most, if not all of the pride flags are essentially gradiated bars, so most of the bar flags are in line with the established pattern. Plus, I dunno, I guess I like gradients.

Easy enough to do *g*

And I agree. It fits in, and it looks pretty good too (without taking it too far). AND as a bonus it doesn't look like we're inventing a flag on a flag maker. Well, it does cause with stripes you can do that easy but it's less obvious lol. I've had fun playing with those things before with made up countries in my head.

CrazyCatLover

I agree with keeping it simple. In the last thread people added spades because of the "ace of spades" thing, I think, and the triangle and circle were just messing around with ideas.

All of the other orientation flags are just horizontal stripes, we should stick to that too. I made one with less bars, is it easier to look at?

aflag2.png

I would recommend against any flag with a heart, because with our colors it'd be wayyy too close to the "Leather Pride" flag.

This one is my personal favorite. I think simple strips is our best bet.

Also, I could totally knit that! :)

Percy McKean

I like the idea of the black to white bars, but I could do without the purple. To me, that's an AVEN thing, not a general asexual motif, like using cake frequently in conversation (and without the convenient excuse of a bakery).

Also, the cross flag put me in mind of the St. Andrews cross of the Scottish flag. Not relevant to my above statement.

I dunno, I like the purple. I think a totally monochrome flag is really, really boring.

I like the idea of the black to white bars, but I could do without the purple. To me, that's an AVEN thing, not a general asexual motif, like using cake frequently in conversation (and without the convenient excuse of a bakery).

Without the purple, I feel like it would be really bland. It would also seem really boring to the general public, which could lead to them thinking of asexuals as boring individuals.

asexual cake

Even if the purple is connected specifically to AVEN, I think it's still worthwhile as a symbol of asexuality as a whole, since we are pretty much the hub of the asexual movement/community. I don't think it's unreasonable for symbols to represent the community as a whole to come from one (large) part of it.

Woah, there's a confusion flag!? Awesome.

I say we do a pennant style flag of white, gray, black. It's a triangle, and it's the colours, and it would resemble the AVEN flag as well. Purple trim also a possibility.

Yeah, I'd vote for the purple. Other than the variety and the ties to AVEN, I think it signals that we're a "queer" community, or at least outside the realm of heteronormativity.

I say purple. Not jut because of AVEN, though it may have started here, but it also has associations with the 'non hetersexual' communities AND it's the colour we've been wearing to Pride. So it's outside AVEN now.

And we need some colour.

Besides, didn't we pretty much decide on purple needing to be there on the colors post?

Woah, there's a confusion flag!? Awesome.

I say we do a pennant style flag of white, gray, black. It's a triangle, and it's the colours, and it would resemble the AVEN flag as well. Purple trim also a possibility.

Like this?

flagidea.png

I kind of like the stripe idea, too. Any symbols on it will be too distracting, though.

EDIT: I'm sorry it's so big. I resized it... but it refuses to work. Hopefully I can make it tinier... and excuse the non-straight lines. I'm working off a mousepad... I need to redo it.

I guess tomorrow or the next day I'll open a poll and everyone can vote on their favorite flag. If you have a design in mind that hasn't been represented, try to make it or have a friend make it, and post it up!

Edit: A pennant flag as in a triangular flag?

Here are my flags, made quickly in Paint:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-7.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-8.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-6.png

What about something like this:

aflag.png

It keeps the same sort of dynamic as the cross flag, without the confederate connotations, and it has the stripes too. (I don't think my rendition of it is that great, though.)

Josephine Stone

The cross reminds me too much of the Confederate Flag for me to be comfortable with it. I have to put up with it in plenty of places down here, I don't want to associate it with us.

Also, duh, I forgot about pride marches. I've never been to one, so it's not hard to forget.

That's what I thought. No matter how you change the colors I look at it and think Confederacy. I wore something with a British Flag on when I was in High school and people were very confused. I had to keep explaining to them that it was the British Flag and not the Confederate one... I don't wear any flags anymore for this reason.

Archived