Asexual Flag Thread

standup

Asexuality - The Great Flag Debate - Survey about the asexuality flag :) - Courtesy of Spiralling Snowy from the PT.

Prject Team email address!

Hey everyone! This is a remake of the last flag thread, because I think it's high time that the asexual orientation had a flag to represent itself as. :) Here, you can post ideas and opinions on flags that have already been sketched and create some yourself if you think you have a good idea. Eventually we should be able to open a poll thread with the top flags that everyone seems to like, and then we can make it more official.

It seems as though the color scheme of black/grey/white/purple has been decided to represent asexuality the best, but if you can think of other schemes please feel free to add them.

Previous Flag Ideas:

flagsb.png

And I just made this one for fun, as an example

aflagsm.png

Flags added in this thread:

moreideas1.png

moreideas2.png

Can I just say? Please for the love of Valen can we not have a giant cake/spade/picture on it? It's a fair bit harder to take flags seriously when they do that. I love 'em, and they're great as logo but if we're doing a flag it' just.....

Look at the flags for the LGBT groups, the rainbow one, the bi one and the trans one. Look at the flags of most countries in the world. Most utilise colour blocks of various shapes and arangements but not so much with the pictures.

(shall, however, go away and have a go at the flag thing in a bit)

The one with just the triangle is ok (though I think it is the symbol of AVEN, not asexuality in general, but I'm not sure about this), but I think it would be better if it had a purple background. It would make it stand out a bit, just like it should.

I don't really see how a spade would be representative of asexuality.

I think we need to keep it simple, if we can. No spades or rings or anything- maybe just bars of various colors? I'd say we should just try and make something unique with purple/black/gray/white bars.

Of the ones given, I'd say the bottom one is the best. But even that one has too many bars on it; it makes it hard to look at. Is just having 4 (or maybe even 3) bars (either horizontal or vertical) already taken or too vague? I think with flags the best thing we can do is just keep it simple.

Simple is best, and I love the idea of the last one... However, like, the above poster, I think there are far too many bars on it. I don't think the purple is necessary, to be honest.

I like the idea of that circle, but I'm not too fond of the spades.

We do need a flag, I agree!

Typical Power

I really like the Purple-black colouring of 3.

Also, if it uses a spade, it should have a heart as well.

The stipes is very LGBT.

EDIT Removed original flag idea.

It was lame.

I agree with keeping it simple. In the last thread people added spades because of the "ace of spades" thing, I think, and the triangle and circle were just messing around with ideas.

All of the other orientation flags are just horizontal stripes, we should stick to that too. I made one with less bars, is it easier to look at?

aflag2.png

I would recommend against any flag with a heart, because with our colors it'd be wayyy too close to the "Leather Pride" flag.

I like the one with four bars! But maybe that's just me. And the only other design I'd try would be removing the white bar? But then it might look too depressing.

Typical Power

Edit: Removed Img.

I didn't think of the "X" flag in context of the American Civil war.

Typical Power

I feel like we should avoid horizontal bars.

It's very LGBT... and many asexuals do not want Asexuals to be part of the LGBT.

Lol it's navy. Purple is the color one block to the right of that.

Dammit! :evil:

asexual cake

I feel like we should avoid horizontal bars.

It's very LGBT... and many asexuals do not want Asexuals to be part of the LGBT.

I like the bars, and precisely for this reason. Regardless of prevailing opinion regarding whether asexuality should be included in LGBTQetc., it does make some modicum of sense to link some of our symbols since we are an "alternative" sexual identity. Like, that wikimedia page has the flags for polyamory and BDSM, neither of which are "officially" a part of LGBT, but both of which are deviations from the "default" sexual identity being a monogamous hetero one.

...I'm not sure I'm making sense.

trisarahtops

this is a paint shop attempt at what I was thinking...

flag.jpg

I also like the idea of just stripes, such as the simpler flag standup made a few posts above me.

Tri-color flags look nice, but they remind me too much of country flags. (Like Germany, France, Italy, etc.)

It makes perfect sense to me!

Typical Power

they're cool, but maybe a flag that represents asexuality in some way? O.o

Every one posted so far is using the Asexuality symbols.

Could you be a bit more specific?

I like the horizontal stripes. And if nothing else, the horizontal stripes indicate a "sexuality" flag, like the other alternative sexualities Pugnacioun mentions.

Er, why exactly do we need a flag at all again, though? It's not like AVENites tend to be in possession of empty flagposts.

Dylan-Michael

aflag2.png

It may be my colour blindness, but that reminds me of Estonia's Flag:

estonia-flag.gif

asexual cake

It makes perfect sense to me!

So that's reassuring. :)

this is a paint shop attempt at what I was thinking...

flag.jpg

I also like the idea of just stripes, such as the simpler flag standup made a few posts above me.

I don't know how fantastic of an idea this kind of triangle is. Because I know it's an asexy symbol, and you know it's an asexy symbol, but I fear that the ignorant sexual hordes might make a somewhat different association.

they're cool, but maybe a flag that represents asexuality in some way? O.o

The idea behind the white/gray/black is that it represents the shades of sexuality. White is sexual, gray is for "gray-A" people, and black represents asexual.

Purple is added because AVEN is primarily purple and it adds a nice accent color that most of us are able to agree on.

@Mihai, I have been using purple in my flags. I think your eyes are making it look blue like Estonia's flag is. :[

I like the horizontal stripes. And if nothing else, the horizontal stripes indicate a "sexuality" flag, like the other alternative sexualities Pugnacioun mentions.

Er, why exactly do we need a flag at all again, though? It's not like AVENites tend to be in possession of empty flagposts.

Asexuality is the only orientation that doesn't have a flag. If nothing else, it'll help to spread the word about asexuality and may help people to understand themselves. It'll also look pretty hawt at parades, amirite? ;D

trisarahtops

I don't know how fantastic of an idea this kind of triangle is. Because I know it's an asexy symbol, and you know it's an asexy symbol, but I fear that the ignorant sexual hordes might make a somewhat different association.

Hmmm.. maybe.

But triangles seem to be common of pride symbols to begin with (even though I can only think of the pink triangle of the top of my head..) so I think it would be pretty safe.

Typical Power

OK....

I'm not even going to try right now, but...

WHAT IF IT WAS PLAID?

(like Black, grey, white, purple, plaid...)

trisarahtops

well it took me way way WAY too long to make the black circle connection... but I'd also give it a vote... and even make another flag!

flagg.jpg

uggghh the circle is so not in the middle...

I quite liked the cross design and decided to have a fiddle around with it myself. I ended up with:

aceflag.jpg

which I admit makes my eyes go a bit funny, but it is 2:43am so that might be part of it. In any case, while I was doing it, the thought occurred to me that putting a big black X across the flag was mildly amusing. Thought I'd share.

Typical Power

I quite liked the cross design and decided to have a fiddle around with it myself. I ended up with:

aceflag.jpg

which I admit makes my eyes go a bit funny, but it is 2:43am so that might be part of it. In any case, while I was doing it, the thought occurred to me that putting a big black X across the flag was mildly amusing. Thought I'd share.

Yay! I'm an inspiration!

I really like this!

aceflag.jpg

It's cool, but it reminds me of the confederate flag. :/

I like the strips ones! I'll post some of my ideas in a bit.

The cross reminds me too much of the Confederate Flag for me to be comfortable with it. I have to put up with it in plenty of places down here, I don't want to associate it with us.

Also, duh, I forgot about pride marches. I've never been to one, so it's not hard to forget.

Hmm... I see what you mean now. It didn't occur to me (probably being British and not really having done anything to do with the American civil war). Yeah... ah nuts.

Archived