Men are better than women.

geek-in-a-half-shell

Salt Shaker

You guys are totally misunderstanding this guy... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do you mind if I ask if anything happened to your father because you told? My father used to have me give him hand jobs when I was a toddler (probably because he thought I'd be too young to remember). I don't think I could ever tell anyone (other than my sister and best friend) because I'd be afraid something bad would happen to him. We're actually really close now and I love him a lot. But I still can't help but think that if I ever have daughters, I wouldn't leave them alone with him :(

Shit. Nothing as traumatizing as what you went through. The school contacted my parents and my mom cried and my dad sort of stopped speaking to me. It got better for a while but then shit happened and my dad kicked me out of the house because my little brother was stealing my mail and I wasn't happy about that and I let them know I wasn't happy about it. I haven't spoken to my dad in well over a year and things with my mom aren't much better.

About a week after I moved out, he called me and tried to apologize for not treating me right when I was growing up. It only took him 20 years to realize it but I was still too angry.

How could your own father do that to you? What if he did that to your sister? That's really abhorrent. :(

Why the hell do women stick dogs in their purses and put clothes on it?

I know guys that do that.

And I'm wondering... why not? It's ridiculous, but why not let people do what they like?

Why are women constantly trying to sabotage others instead of bettering themselves?

And men don't? Have you been on a random work floor lately?

You get my point. This guy names a lot of negative things he sees women do and judges them for it, not taking into account that men do the same things.

prostitution --> gigolo's. The only reason there's less of them is because they get less customers.

alimony --> Well, you should have stayed home and raised the kids yourself then.

men invented everything --> well, did ya give women a chance to get an education? nope.

women are after money --> and men aren't?

Why am I even responding to something so ridiculous?

You guys are totally misunderstanding this guy... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You think he's a parody? I'm tempted to believe that 'cause I hardly believe someone could truly be that stupid.

Women do automatically get respect, well, at least shown to them. Little boys are taught to be nice to girls from the start, they are taught that they can't hit girls no matter what. Girls were raised to be victims, if a boy hits you, you tattle. I've seen girls pick on boys on purpose because "little boys aren't supposed to hit little girls". I think this teaches girls to not take responsibility for their actions and are supposed to be treated with a level of respect.

Absolutely. But education is to blame here. Women are not naturally inclined not to take responsibility and a lot of men would do the same given the opportunity. It's education that needs to change. If it ever seems that men > women, it's because education makes it so by ruining women's potential and telling them to be vulnerable, dependent little housewives.

MissMiseryGloom

Wow. I can't believe his name. It's so fitting. Dick Masterson. I mean really? :lol:

But as hilarious as this is, I think it's ridiculous. If you want to group everyone together, then go meet every single person you're grouping together and get to know them before you do it. A lot of women are stupid but so are a lot of men. You can't generalize any group of people, and gender is such a large one. I dislike almost all the guys I meet for various reasons but I also dislike almost all of the woman I meet too. You shouldn't let yourself be defined as by your gender. I think that people become who they are by their experiences and what they take from them. But it doesn't help that society can just say "Women are this and Men are this" and everyone just blindly follows and falls into it. Well not everyone but a great majority. I don't like referring to myself as a male or female because I am so far from what they are considered. I just think that there are stupid people and there are cool people and that gender doesn't have any effect on this, other than what society tells us and our experiences.

I certainly don't think woman are more easily respected, I do think it is something that is earned, regardless of gender.

But honestly, I find this more hilarious than offensive. Especially if this guy is real. Which is quite a possibility because people this stupid do certainly exist.

Eli Dupree

I assumed the site was a parody. It looks more like a catalogue of gender stereotypes than an actual person's beliefs. Naturally, Poe's Law applies...

If it is indeed a parody intended to make people question their beliefs about gender, I don't think it's a very good one. From what little I looked at, it seems to support the gender binary even if it does poke fun at sexism within the binary.

Wow. I can't believe his name. It's so fitting. Dick Masterson. I mean really? :lol:

That makes me suspect even more than it might be a parody.

If it is, I don't see the point of it. He's not making regular chauvinists look any worse than they already do and he might even make them feel better about themselves. If this is an actor who hates chauvinists, he's not doing anything useful approaching them this way.

If it is not a parody, he's a Dick.

(See what I did there? He's a dick and he's a guy named Dick! o nevermind.)

Guest member25959

A parody? Is he getting paid to do this? Who would parody something like this, He's reputation will be tarnished for ever :P

Bollocks.

My feelings exactly.

Anyone who actually believes gender-essentialist bullshit about men "naturally" being one way and women "naturally" being another way needs to seriously educate themselves on the concepts of socialization and patriarchy. And that site is almost certainly a parody.

mad_scientist

Lucrezia, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I admire you for speaking out, I know that can be hard when you know a family member is doing something wrong.

I honestly thought it was normal when you get hit for being bad or doing something wrong. My friends used to wonder why I never let them hug me or touch me.

Until a decade ago, it *was* normal.

There's no real difference between men & women in my social group, except that more of the women are touchy-feely and nearly all the men don't want to go shopping for makeup or perfume with me.

This thing apparently IS satire. This is the synopsis from the Barnes & Noble site (which I'm amazed printed it -- they are just a big-box chain bookstore and look what the comments say!):

"Synopsis

Through a process of exhaustive man research he calls "keeping his eyes open," Dick Masterson has compiled a Magnum-size list of the ways men are better than women. It is an infallible compendium of man's greatness, filled with the most egregiously fallacious arguments ever put to words, but with some kind of miraculous, rock-solid man logic dripping like motor oil from every sentence. It is a manifesto more memorable than bullshit like High Fidelity or which Axe baby powder Maxim thinks you should slap on your nuts before clubbing, more chock-full of devastating man quotes than Oscar Wilde with two wangs. Most important, it is the only one of its kind. In Men Are Better Than Women, Dick Masterson dispenses logic from his man mouth into the eyes of his male readers like some kind of mighty mother man eagle with nutrient-rich word vomit. It's a book that makes you feel like driving a train into a dynamite factory and then tearing a telephone book apart with your bare hands, just because that's the way men have always done it.

Masterson's chapters are simple and self-contained, demand no commitments from readers, and have an immediate payoff. Men Are Better Than Women is a dangerous work of satire -- not dangerous in a revolutionary sense, but dangerous in that it walks the razor-thin line between cruelty and absurdity. That line is called hilarious."

• 2 months later...

I don't care about sex, orientation, race or species or what have you as long as the person is good to have on an adventure.

Also, by insulting women this man is also insulting my mother and my sisters and my girlfriends and my fellow female adventurers, which I do not appreciate.

Let's see this guy climb Mt. Everest or live for sixteen months in the Amazon before he deigns to criticize female adventurers, or imply that men are better than women.

I sincerely hope Dick Masterson learns to respect others and starts working to help those in need, as befits any sentient being.

~ Ily <3

P.S. He IS supportive of gays, however, so I give him points for that.

Gho St Ory Qwan
A woman owning property is like giving a monkey a dog on a leash. It doesn’t mean the monkey has a pet. It means some idiot tied a dog to a monkey.

Women owning property doesn’t mean that they themselves aren’t property.

OMG I think I threw up a little.

Some humans are so stupid. Beyond that, I'm speechless. =[ Such disrespect. They're embarrassing all men.

50 Cent Piece

"Do you agree with him? I can't help but think that there is a level of truth to his posts. Why should women automatically get respect instead of earning it?" Because everyone should be respected.

"Why the hell do women stick dogs in their purses and put clothes on it?" Same reason men do, I guess.

dog_carrier.jpg

"Why are women constantly trying to sabotage others instead of bettering themselves?" Same reason men, do I guess.

Better is such a strange word when it comes to groups of people. Are black people better than asians? Are Republicans better than Democrats? Or astronauts better than science professors?

This could easily be turned around into: "Why should men automatically get respect instead of earning it? Why the hell do men beat their wives? Why are men constantly trying to sabotage others instead of bettering themselves? *cough corporate life*" And made into an argument that women are better than men. Sweeping generalizations are not a good way to define and rate a gender.

Some women put dogs into purses, some men beat their wives, most do neither.

In my world, the one rule of society is to treat others as you would like to be treated. Have a shred of empathy and you'll be fine. For those who can't bring up the imagination to put themselves in another person's perspective, then I honestly can't waste my energy/time/emotions on them. They wouldn't give it to me, so why the hell should I get all pissy because they have an opinion? A really bad, biased opinion, but still an opinion.

Welcome to America and freedom of speech.

Hm interesting. Only read a few things on his site but, assuming it is not a parody, it seems like a very judgmental attitude... I think even though I respect his right to own and express an opinion and admire him for being an individual, it still doesn't sit well for me. I would say I'd like to have a discussion with him about it as I am interested in learning radical points of view, however I don't think he would understand the concept of non-genderism and would immediately categorise me as a 'lesser female' so the discussion would be biased and rather pointless... on the other hand, that's me being biased against him so who knows?

I also don't like his use of the word 'better' - yes I think the male body and psyche is generally 'better suited' to certain tasks and the female body and psyche to others (excluding genderqueers for the point of the argument here!!) but that doesn't mean either is 'better at life' overall. Nobody knows what the meaning of life is. Certainly, I believe, there are many different layers to life, not just the reality we see in front of us. I know I'm not brilliant at physical tasks or solving problems in real life but I do my best and I have lived on my own for 5 years and always sorted things out, but that isn't important to me so I don't give it much attention. Physical reality is obviously very important to him so, fair enough, if he thinks he is the top of his game. I know I'm not competing with him and possibly most women aren't either. At the same time, I can understand why women who are in that game are annoyed to be told they can't win just because of their chromosomes. On the other hand, when taken with a pinch of salt, he has some valid observations that I could probably put evidence to as well.

He has said he doesn't hate women and I think that's a credit at least. I understand his underwear analogy in that you say one type is better but it doesn't mean you hate the rest. But at the same time, perhaps he could afford to recognise that a lot of what he says comes across as hate, especially to women who have worked and fought hard for equality while men have sat around, and if he is so judgmental about others he should be prepared for others to be judgmental about him. No one is God. We all know as much and as little as we know about ourselves but we can't judge other people even if the world appears to be split into the camps of Us and Them.

I know I've had periods in the past of being very anti-women and also being very anti-men but confirming myself as genderless has been a liberation in a way because I don't have to see the world in black and white any more. I no longer feel that I have to always pick the male side and act macho just so that I can distance myself from my biological sex. I just forget biology and go with the here and now. So... perhaps I would have agreed with this guy a few years ago. But not now. That makes me feel good as it shows my mind has broadened. So I am grateful for this Dick!

I'd say it's very easy. If you talk about the stupid things stupid women do and the smart things smart men do you end up with things like this. Can't really make myself upset, knows all to well it's more than possible to do the same thing oposite direction ;)

As someone who studies a bit of everything, I'd like to mention an interesting fact: There is at least one culture in the world where the role of "man" and the role of "woman" are completely reversed from the ideas we have in the West. Men are supposed to be soft spoken, emotionally open, gossip and do tasks that are not physically demanding; women are outspoken, emotionally closed, talk about "essentials" and go hunting and do other strenuous activities for the village. If they go to a big city, the women handle money, because they are expected to be more straight forward and men "couldn't possibly understand how to haggle properly. They'd be too nice about it."

Unfortunately, I don't remember what part of the world they are from. But this shows that while there may be tendencies among humans for "men" to be one way and "women" to be another, it is not set in stone. This isn't even taking into account intersex, trans, bigender or genderqueer people.

I understand this guy's site is a satire, but I've met people with a lot of the beliefs he shows on there. And hopefully, being generally dominant personality-wise, genderfluid female-bodied person, I migh have changed their views a little. If not, well, I don't hang out with them.

ChildOfTheLight

It's satire.

Introspective Dreamer

Personally, I think this guy epitomises nescience, honestly. No sex is superior to the other, there are exceptions to nearly every rule.

If we are talking about stereotypical women then there is a truth.

Still though, I think he ought to have said he was talking from generalisations or stereotypes. The Phrases like "in general", "from personal experience", and "what I have commonly observed" can alter the net meaning of a statement- both the denotological and connotational meanings. He should have at least mentioned that there are exceptions to which he was talking about. These are people, not worthless objects, and as such in my opinion deserve to not be margainalised for not following these "rules". Think about it like this: those who do not fit negative stereotypes can end up feeling left out and then have to face being criticised and disparaged for behaviors they do not possess; some can ignore the hurt, others can become depressed.

Read what this guy has to say. Discuss.

Do you agree with him? I can't help but think that there is a level of truth to his posts. Why should women automatically get respect instead of earning it? Why the hell do women stick dogs in their purses and put clothes on it? Why are women constantly trying to sabotage others instead of bettering themselves?

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a sexist, but that's enough of my opinion. Let's have a serious discussion.

Pffffffffth-... You can't put a link like like that, ask things like that about around 50% of the Earth's human population as if what you're saying applies to said people, and then say that you want a serious discussion. When you say "women" without limiting the word to some certain group of women, you're talking about BILLIONS OF PEOPLE: I don't care how many men and women you've encountered in your entire life but you cannot expect to be taken seriously after asking something like "Why are women constantly trying to sabotage others instead of bettering themselves?", you just can't. I mean, haha, seriously.

"Lol hai guise, why are men such jerrrrrks?! Let's have a serious discussion!"

I agree with the highlighted. It is common sense to me that you cannot stereotype people like that. but it seems as though it is not common sense to most people.

Bollocks.

My feelings exactly.

Anyone who actually believes gender-essentialist bullshit about men "naturally" being one way and women "naturally" being another way needs to seriously educate themselves on the concepts of socialization and patriarchy. And that site is almost certainly a parody.

I pretty much agree. These sort of hypothesis are narrow minded and examines data from only a modicum of standpoints. Why is it so hard to remember that people are individuals?

barefoot and pregnant.

I understand the pregnant, but not the barefoot. What have misogynists got against shoes?

Maybe because people won't leave the house barefoot?

I'm fairly certain that this guy has to be just looking for attention. Even with people as stupid as they are, I find it hard to believe that someone could be both that stupid and still living. 0-o

I thought the guy was joking, to make fun of male sexists, but everyone here seems to be taking him seriously, so perhaps he really does believe all that.

I like women far better than men, but to avoid argument, I'm not going to go into the reasons.

I thought the guy was joking, to make fun of male sexists, but everyone here seems to be taking him seriously, so perhaps he really does believe all that.

I like women far better than men, but to avoid argument, I'm not going to go into the reasons.

I think you are right actually

It would've been fun to "translate" the text (put "men" where it sais "women") and see how it looks :lol:

I think you are right actually

It would've been fun to "translate" the text (put "men" where it sais "women") and see how it looks :lol:

ok, can't be done, they are funny though :blush:

I don't care about sex, orientation, race or species or what have you as long as the person is good to have on an adventure.

Also, by insulting women this man is also insulting my mother and my sisters and my girlfriends and my fellow female adventurers, which I do not appreciate.

Let's see this guy climb Mt. Everest or live for sixteen months in the Amazon before he deigns to criticize female adventurers, or imply that men are better than women.

I sincerely hope Dick Masterson learns to respect others and starts working to help those in need, as befits any sentient being.

~ Ily <3

P.S. He IS supportive of gays, however, so I give him points for that.

I pretty much view people the same way, Valentine. As for adventures, my friends and I call them safaris (based off of the safari song). :lol:

And I don't understand what makes that guy, Dick, think that way. I would imagine that such stupidity as that no longer exists in the world, but then I suppose there are still people out there blowing themselves up and flying planes into buildings.

I did just try to wiki Dick, and found "fratire" instead. I would hope that it is that instead of actual sincere misogyny.

Archived