do you hate garlic, onions, leeks, etc...??

Monsters Exist

Monsters Exist

ok. i need some input on this because i'd like to know more about it. i did a search on "garlic" to see if the topic has been brought up and there were no results.

first of all, this is my first post. i am dying to know the answer so badly that i had to register just so i could post this.

all my life, i've hated garlic, onions, leeks, parsley... basically anything that is used to add flavour to a dish that makes me gag cuz it just does. my mom told me that i just needed to grow up cuz those herbs (or whatever they are) are grownup things. well, i am 25 years old now and i still can't eat anything that has garlic, onions, leeks, etc... in it.

recently, a co-worker told me that certain buddhists of the vegetarian ilk do not cook with garlic, onions, leeks, blahblahblah (hereafter known as THINGS) because it is against their religion. has something to do with zen monks or something and how these THINGS increase libido. i am not a very sexual person, i would consider myself asexual. SO THIS IS GREAT NEWS TO ME! but it also kind of saddens me to think that, maybe if i were to have a little garlic now and then, i'd get over my lack of desire for sex and the closet-nympho in me will spring out of the closet and sex up all of the world three times over. i just needed someone to clarify this THINGS fact. i need some input and thoughts on this topic eg., are there any of asexual people out there who enjoy eating THINGS and haven't been contaminated by an increase of libido.

Eta Carinae

As far as I know, there are no actual aphrodisiacs. That includes garlic and onions.

I personally like garlic quite a bit, and for a few years very actively sought it out. I also end up eating quite a few things with onions in them, but that's only because onions are nigh impossible to avoid. I've only had leeks a handful of times.

I'm still asexual, though, and haven't noticed any effect on my libido.

bard of aven

Life without garlic and leeks to me would be unimaginable. In the middle ages, garlic was treated as a vegetable, not a spice. It was eaten for its own sake, not as a flavor enhancer.

Eating large amounts of garlic on a regular basis is a good way to repel vampires, mosquitos, and sexuals.

I had a friend over for dinner tonight, and roasted a chicken. Before putting it in the oven, I rubbed a paste of garlic, ginger and mustard under the skin everwhere I could get at. Yummy. And the only reason I didn't serve leek and potato soup for a starter is because there were no leeks in the market yesterday.

Leeks are also very good in a tart, for those that like such things. They are a staple of several European cusienes, French most notably.

Onions are a basic fact of life for me. I rarely eat them on their own, as in onion soup, but I still go through a three-pound bag every month or so. When I was growing up, I used to eat onion and mayonaise sandwiches when I had a cold. Remarkably good for clearing the sinuses.

None of this has made me want to interact genitally with anyone else.

But as I have observed elsewhere, I really enjoy most strong tastes and smells. The only thing in this line I absolutely cannot abide is cilantro. To me, it tastes like soap.

boa

VivreEstEsperer

lol..i eat tons of garlic and I'm still asexual.... but welcome to the board!!

make yourself at home-

Kate

I like them all, and I'm happy to say they've never made me sexual!

Liked the tip about repelling sexuals, boa!!

I do eat them sometimes, do I hate them if i think about it. but I won't believe eating those THINGS would make me feel more sexual...

Um, I think those things are kinda an aquired taste. I couldn't eat them a few years ago, but lately I've been invited to my one of my Aunt's places and she cooks with all sorts of that kinda stuff.

At first, I was gagging it down, but after a while it was like, "Hey! This is kinda cool - It's strong, but it compliments the dish well!!"

Hee hee, I'll eat anything that's vegan :wink:

Monsters Exist

seeing as all of you enjoy your damn garlic and leeks, i must be the reincarnation of a zen monk. that or i died in a garlic eating contest. i am ruling out the acquired taste theory because, like i said, i am 25 years old now and that should've given me enough time to get used to the THINGS. aphrodisiacs aren't real? that is news to me!

i guess i will have to do some more research on this (especially the aphrodisiac part) because i'm not at all satisfied with the responses so far :P perhaps this matter is in the wrong forum and i need to take it to the forum that invites garlic-haters. but whatever. i was lurking for a day and decided to add another digit to the number of asexual members here.

seeing as all of you enjoy your damn garlic and leeks, i must be the reincarnation of a zen monk.

Well.. I like garlic, but not leeks. ;) Welcome to the board. *g*

~Coral

orderinchaos

I do hate parsley myself :) but *every* time I cook a meal there's at least one onion in it, and I'm not averse to using mulched-up garlic in meals I make myself, especially Italian ones - it goes well with oregano.

Has the vampire theory been ruled out? :P

i must be the reincarnation of a zen monk. that or i died in a garlic eating contest.

Yaaaay!! A garlic eating contest!! I'll bet something like that would have had to take place miles away from civilization :wink:

• 1 month later...

that whole libido thing is a bunch of horse crap, man. i eat that shit, & i have probably the lowest libido of anyone in the friggin room!!!

Well... come to think of it, I've never heard of anybody getting horny off onions :shock:

I'm not picky when it comes to food. If it won't kill me, I'll probably eat it. I love garlic, and I eat onions a lot too. My libido is still nonexistant.

Oh, and:

Eating large amounts of garlic on a regular basis is a good way to repel vampires, mosquitos, and sexuals.

Hahahahahahaha!!

the only good way to repel a sexual person is to spray them [repeatedly] w/ mase.

put those bitches on foccacia bread!!! the more flavor on that bad boy, the better. :twisted:

Many Hindus & Vaisnavas don't eat onions or garlic because such foods fall under the mode of "passion", and as such, they increase one's desires and make it more difficult to meditate/worship God:)

whirlygirl
lol..i eat tons of garlic and I'm still asexual.... but welcome to the board!!

make yourself at home-

Kate

hmmm, i've eaten a garlic clove of a lunchtime a few years ago by mistake... what a social disaster!!!

• 2 months later...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic, but onions make me gag, yeah....well, except for onion rings, I like those, though I don't eat fried food often.

I LURVE flavourings and chilli powder, curry powder, garlic, onions, peppers .... they are all grist to the mill where I am concerned. The spicier the meal, the better!

:D

xena_trade_center

monster... a lot of people with aspergers have problems with over-sensitivity to taste... have u ever consider u may have aspergers and thats why your also asexual??

just an idea... ?

"Yo mama's so ugly, she makes onions cry!!" :mrgreen:

Addressed to nobody in particular :D Just felt like telling a Yo Mama joke.

i hate hate hate onions and most related things, like leeks(though less), i have a neutral feeling to garlic, i never have them and cannot tolerate anthing with them in them.....although i doubt this causes asexuality

Archived