Does cross-dressing mean your gay?

asexual cake

It depends on how you define cross-dressing. Well, it really doesn't, actually, because the answer is "no, not necessarily" regardless.

Cross-dressing doesn't really reveal anything (in all cases) about any part of your identity other than a desire to wear the clothes commonly associated with the sex to which you do not belong. I am biologically female and never shop in the women's department for anything other than underwear (and even then, only for the bottom - I've very small-chested and can get away with wearing XS men's A-shirts as undershirts). I hate women's clothing because of how it's meant to fit (and how it never does), as well as the patterns and frills and variety of other things I find unappealing. Technically, by wearing only men's clothing, I'm cross-dressing, but I'm not gay (nor am I transsexual - I'm closer to neutrois than anything, really). But lots of other women who are straight and cisgender also wear clothes that are made for men or made in styles reminiscent of men's clothing, just because they want to.

I think a lot of the reason why cross-dressing is associated with homosexuality for male-bodies people is that the confines of acceptable expressions of masculinity are so narrow, and this is manifested in what kinds of clothing are considered acceptable - thus, women can wear pants and no one cares but a man wearing a skirt is a Big Deal. As the confines for what people "can" or "can't" wear widen, the idea of cross-dressing gets progressively more meaningless if it's defined solely by wearing clothes traditional to the other sex.

If, however, you mean cross-dressing as in passing/trying to pass as the opposite sex, ... it still doesn't indicate homosexuality, and it doesn't even necessarily mean they're not cisgendered. They may just like it.

It depends on how you define cross-dressing. Well, it really doesn't, actually, because the answer is "no, not necessarily" regardless.

Cross-dressing doesn't really reveal anything (in all cases) about any part of your identity other than a desire to wear the clothes commonly associated with the sex to which you do not belong. I am biologically female and never shop in the women's department for anything other than underwear (and even then, only for the bottom - I've very small-chested and can get away with wearing XS men's A-shirts as undershirts). I hate women's clothing because of how it's meant to fit (and how it never does), as well as the patterns and frills and variety of other things I find unappealing. Technically, by wearing only men's clothing, I'm cross-dressing, but I'm not gay (nor am I transsexual - I'm closer to neutrois than anything, really). But lots of other women who are straight and cisgender also wear clothes that are made for men or made in styles reminiscent of men's clothing, just because they want to.

I think a lot of the reason why cross-dressing is associated with homosexuality for male-bodies people is that the confines of acceptable expressions of masculinity are so narrow, and this is manifested in what kinds of clothing are considered acceptable - thus, women can wear pants and no one cares but a man wearing a skirt is a Big Deal. As the confines for what people "can" or "can't" wear widen, the idea of cross-dressing gets progressively more meaningless if it's defined solely by wearing clothes traditional to the other sex.

If, however, you mean cross-dressing as in passing/trying to pass as the opposite sex, ... it still doesn't indicate homosexuality, and it doesn't even necessarily mean they're not cisgendered. They may just like it.

I love how you've explained this so clearly and diplomatically! Well said!!!

Although... one could argue that 99% of women crossdress daily.

I for one would love to wear a suit and tie. xB

Yeah but for some reason its more sociably acceptable for Women to cross-dress

Forgive my wording as I am not sure how to say it. I'm wondering if that is because of society being conditioned to paternal dominance. So, for a man to dress as a woman, it's emasculating and seen as a step down or even akin to being weak or worse, a sissy. Whereas, a woman dressing as a man is seen as promotion, a sign of assertiveness & strength. Am I making myself understandable?

Forgive my wording as I am not sure how to say it. I'm wondering if that is because of society being conditioned to paternal dominance. So, for a man to dress as a woman, it's emasculating and seen as a step down or even akin to being weak or worse, a sissy. Whereas, a woman dressing as a man is seen as promotion, a sign of assertiveness & strength. Am I making myself understandable?

I definitely think that is a huge part of it.

Oh yeah, that's it by a long shot.

But I've never liked dresses... They were completely dysfunctional in elementary school. I liked to crawl on the ground, pretending I was a wolf or something during recess. You just can't DO that in a dress. They got on my nerves a really long time ago. x___X

On top of that, though, a suit is sleek and classy. And it's not practically falling off of you, or half of it isn't missing just so you can "show off some cleavage". =_= I can't wear many blouses because they're ALL like that... and having a bare chest just makes me feel exposed.

Guys clothes are just easier to wear.

I would like to see some high fashion designers make some dresses that are specifically made to fit men, though. I'll bet some guys would look smashing in a dress that actually fit them properly. Imagine the whole new genre of fashion that could come of it, and that's after skipping the robes, kilts, and Asian-wear.

Thanks daveb! It took me a while as well as some very extensive living as a transwoman to learn that!

Amen, sister! Gosh darn boobs get in the way though *huffs*

As for the topic at hand... well, I think plenty of people have already cleared that up :P

What about some of the pant suits or skirt suits which Anne Klein, Jones New York or other designers are creating?

To get a suit with a cut that fit me in a way that was worth the money I'd have to get something customised - I'm a UK size 12-14 on my waist but a 16-18 on my chest. I refuse to pay money for nice shirts and jackets cause I lose all my shape. I like my shape, I can't bring myself to pay £100+ to cover it up :(

Part of the reason women cross-dressing is more acceptable is because we already wear mens clothes. The resason we started wearing mens clothes was practicality, it's just a hell of a lot easier to work in trousers and, to my admittedly limitted knowledge, the main reason they became such a big thing was women wearing them working in the factories during WWII. So, most likely, until someone can figure out a practical reason for men to wear skirts, it probably won't take off *sigh* At least there's kilts...

As for what I've learned, crossdressing can mean as little as just that you enjoy and/or feel comfortable wearing clothing of the opposite sex. Or, to the other extreme that act of crossdressing is an active means of expressing your gender identity and/or pursuit of changing your sex (anatomy). Although I cannot speak for why gays will crossdress, perhaps it is either a means to express their gender or to present themselves for the sake of attracting partners. BUT, that's my understanding of it.

Guest Nightfire

Cross-dressing is what you're comfortable wearing, when wearing the opposite sex's clothing. Doesn't mean you're gay. I saw a lot of straight girls wear men clothes and straight guys wear (at least) girl jeans.

Plus I'm an aromantic asexual cross-dresser. I love wearing men clothing, because it's more comfy for me. More baggy. I find myself as a straight-aromantic-asexual woman with a man's brain :lol: I always preferred dressing like a man and being like a man, having man shampoo and all that :lol: Women get a lot of weak stuff and I just hate it -.- I've always been a bit masculine and dominant but I'm still a straight-aromantic-asexual woman :lol:

While I agree that skirts are not always the most practical clothin (although there are/have been many societies where men wear/wore skirt-like graments and managed to do all sorts of activities) I do find skirts more relaxing at times myself. I will often wear a skirt and t-shirt around the house, especially in summer. Or if I'm feeling a bit tired or stressed. I also wear my hair long and earrings, but I don't think anyone has mistaken me for female (at least not since puberty!).

On the other hand I'm not into makeup (for one thing, I sweat too much and it becomes a mess real quick; for another thing, I just haven't been interested in it enough to get good at it), although it can be fun to have someone who knows what they're doing do one's makeup. I also like sleeping in lightweight cotton nightshirts when the weather is warm. I don't care much for shirts with collars most of the time, but it's hard to find women's tops that fit. And I'll admit I do like other articles of women's wear from time to time. There is so much more variety than in men's clothes. It's just more fun to me. :)

I guess it's still crossdressing if you just wear some items from the opposite gender's department, but I think my usual preference is more similar to women wearing jeans or trousers without trying to appear male than "traditional" crossdressing. I would like the option to wear a skirt and shirt or other top or even a dress without attracting any more attention than a woman in jeans or trousers does. It would also be good if such items were made to fit a male frame. It's not easy to find stuff that fits when you're my height/size! :lol:

Also, I find men's clothing to be pretty boring. And don't even get me started on the suit and tie conbo (especially in hot inland southern Cal. weather!)! :P

It's also fun, once in a great while to get totally done up, but I haven't done that in several years now.

• 1 year later...

if croeedressing is what makes people gay, then i would be gay by birth, not an asexual :)

Nope, even a straight guy engaging in homosexual sex doesn't make him gay. If that were the case, every celibate person on earth would be considered Asexual. You are only gay/straight/whatever if you are attracted or not attracted to a particular gender, both, or neither. That's a pretty broad description, but I hope you get the idea.

Beyourownspotlight

Nope :)

Although my gay best friend does like to cross dress and wear make up, but my other gay friend doesn't, he'd rather wear 'guys' clothes.

I tend to wear guys clothes, doesn't mean I like girls :)

I'm a M to F crossdresser and I've never been interested in men. And the only female clothes I get turned on by when I'm wearing them are ones that are designed to elicit arousal like lingerie or sexy costumes. If I'm wearing women's jeans and a regular top I'm not turned on.

For most crossdressers it's a lifestyle, not a fetish.

Lined up with the general opinion - no, I don't think cross-dressing alone means you're gay. It means you want to physically identify in the other gender. If any, it could be a hint of you being potentially transgender.

I think the matter at stake can be compared with the difference between libido and sexual attraction, or other distinctions of the sort. In other words, what you do by yourself isn't necessarily the same you'd want from others.

Institutionilized

Ummm, nope. That's a common mis-conception about cross-dressers. I personally don't cross-dress, but I feel pretty confident in saying that what you wear doesn't affect your sexual orientation. To my knowledge, some people just cross-dress because they want to cross-dress. I've got a friend (male) who dyes his hair neon colors with hair dye made for girls. Does that make him gay? Exactly. Okay, so he's bi-sexual, bad example. Hopefully you got the point. :P

I suspect most males even the butchest of the butch raw meat eating treating women like toys males...have at some time tried on an womens garment wether it be underwaer (seems to be the popular one) or a dress at soem time

for some of those there seems to be a sexual eroticism about it, some will find a excitement for feeling like a woman

i doubt however if this is a yes no tick box

do you sometimes wear opposite sex clothes? yes..you are gay...no.. you are straight

Guest member25959

Oh dear god, more thread necromancy?

And ive always heard crossdressing is related to being gay. I've seen them together, and it doen't look like hes faking being in love with her.

Well, from what I know, that is one of the biggest perception issues in the Trans/Crossdressing community, it that people tend to assume that cross-dressing automatically equals Gay.

But anyway, there's no point on expanding on that since I don't know much about that.