Unscrewed and Illuminated Podcasts

KayleeSaeihr

Sweet :D

Thank you :)

KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Episode 5

Host: Sophie, Amy, Henrik, Kayleigh & Chris. A full house of hosts!

First, I want to apologise for the time it took to get this episode up. I've been busy in real life, and this was a more difficult edit with Sophie's voice dropping out. I apologise for these technical errors.

This week we discuss the idea of a relationship with a gay man, your relationships with our family, our friends, and romance. We find out what Google's Idea of Asexual Fun is (hint: It's not what you think!), and then get down the serious business of random stuff!

I got mentioned :blush:

I don't think I posted in the "platonic relationship with a gay man" thread but it occurs to me that if the asexual woman is hetero romantic, she might fall in love with him in a way he can't reciprocate. That would most likely be a rather sticky end to the situation.

My brother knows (indeed, he's decided he might accompany me to Pride London this year) and he seems to be ok with it even though he tries to show his support through rather awkward jokes. My cousin is pretty open minded and she said to me that her daughter, who is 14, told her she was bisexual and my cousin shrugged and said "its not up to me to say who she is". My parents don't know, although they know very well that I'm single and a virgin, but if it was mentioned to them, I have little doubt that my mother would blame it on my mental illness (chronic depression) and if I managed to fight that one off, it would probably evolve onto checking hormones and such. I'm not close to them so I don't think I will tell them. It's not really their business.

The bit at the end about warm seats was very interesting; the idea of it being a territory thing makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. I've never liked sitting in a warm seat either, it just feels... wrong?

The topic about aces and anxiety disorders is something that I wouldn't mind hearing more discussion about. I started a thread (link) not that long ago talking about friends who never initiate contact, and got a lot of responses from people here saying that it's something they have trouble doing as well, bringing up the topic of social anxiety. I also have problems with social anxiety, which I think is part of what got me to make the thread; the friend I was talking about has sort of pushed me beyond my comfort zone in that the only way we'll ever talk is if I make the first move, which isn't something I like to do. There seem to be a lot of people here who have anxiety problems over various things; it would be interesting to hear feedback from others on the topic.

I don't think I've posted in the "gay man seeking asexual woman" thread, but I'd be all for the kind of relationship he seems to be looking for. (I actually used to think that a gay man would be my perfect partner since he wouldn't be sexually interested in me.) A roommate-companion is exactly what I've always wanted, someone who I can live with in a platonic way while at the same time being exclusive to each other; basically a friend who I don't have to worry about abandoning me for a more romantic relationship with someone else. I do identify as panromantic, but that's basically my idea of romance, maybe with the inclusion of the occasional hug or snuggle on the couch while watching a movie.

20thCenturyGirl

Hello! How cool is it that mine was the first email!

By the way: dermatillomania is compulsive skin picking. It's not well understood, but it's usually seen as being in the anxiety disorder spectrum. Just so you know.

AND I don't take credit fully from the Twitter idea. I believe the HotPiecesOfAce feed on twitter does questions on Mondays sometimes. I quite like it. Be sure to let me know if you decide on one!

As for actual feedback, I think the idea of a "committed roommate" would be fantastic as long as we were both on the same page. As I mentioned in the email, I'm not often very romantic, so somebody like that would be perfect. But in the real world, I don't know if it would work.

On family relationships: my family does not know, but I think it's fairly obvious. I'm the older sister and I am 21 and my sister is 15. With my sister beginning to have boyfriends, I think the questions will come up soon. I'll have to think of what to say, as I've never been asked.

My friendships are on the same page as my family. I think people sense that I'm not "normal", as I've seen that normally jealous girls at work aren't bothered by my chatting with their boyfriends. I fear that they see me as either a lesbian or as a prude. I am neither, obviously. It certainly doesn't help things that my best friend who also never dated just came out as gay. We were so similar in high school, I'm sure everyone is counting the days until I announce my lesbianism. Uh, no. I'd love for people to know about it, but I'm too shy to bring it up. So now, it's a big secret.

Romance: I have never dated at all, so it looks a little strange to anyone paying attention. But that's all I have to say about romance.

It also pisses me off when people assume that those who don't date are missing out. "oh you poor thing" is getting way old.

And to those people suggesting hormones? Oh please. Would they also suggest therapy to homosexuals? But I agree that they are ignorant and that we should try to educate where we can.

And my theory on the warm seats thing (which I agree is revolting) is that maybe it reminds people that someone has been there. Like it makes us aware of fresh ass germs or something.

Thanks for another lovely program!

Sorry my comments seem a little bit stream of consciousness; I typed it as I listened and I don't want to edit it. :)

KayleeSaeihr

Hello! How cool is it that mine was the first email!

Very cool ;P

By the way: dermatillomania is compulsive skin picking. It's not well understood, but it's usually seen as being in the anxiety disorder spectrum. Just so you know.

Second person who has mentioned it, we should do a correction on the next show.

AND I don't take credit fully from the Twitter idea. I believe the HotPiecesOfAce feed on twitter does questions on Mondays sometimes. I quite like it. Be sure to let me know if you decide on one!

Letting you know we're doing it ;)

I've got it setup but I don't want to announce it just yet. Wait until we work out how we're going to use it.

(::whipser:: look up unscrewed_aces on Twitter ;) But you didn't hear that from me :ph34r: Yet... )

KayleeSaeihr

Hey gals and guys,

We'll be recording the next episode in just under an hour. 8:30am EST. If you're on Twitter send us some suggestions @unscrewed_aces !

KayleeSaeihr

Well I fucked up the recording... :redface: So we're going have to re-record sometime later this week.

The good news is, that you all now have the chance to interact with us, you can send us a tweet on Twitter @unscrewed_aces or leave a message here to suggest a topic or share your opinion on our main topic, which is Asexuality and Anxiety.

• 3 weeks later...
KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Episode 6

Host: Sophie, Chris, Kayleigh, and newcomers, Ellie and Linzy!

First, I want to apologise, yet again, for the for the delays in this episode. To make up we recorded episodes 6 and 7 back to back, so episode 7 is but mere days away!!

This week we discuss the idea of purple plaid flannel shirts! We discuss what asexuality is to us, and we check out some really progressive dog bowls. All served up with a generous side helping of random and mayhem! But that's why you love us!

Hey, thanks for linking to my video! ^_^

We had a lot of fun with the podcasts.

Whoa, I'm all over that podcast. :lol: Thanks for the shout out and the comic mention, Kayleigh! I actually listened to this while I was inking a strip.

(Oh Chris - I finally got to hear Envy's English voice. If that's really what I sound like, then that's AWESOME.)

The comments about massages reminded me about some of the things my mom's told me about working as a massage therapist. She's actually had to kick more than one man out of her room because they came expecting a little uh, extra. Ughghgh. *shudder*

Oh jeez, I'm a little embarrassed. It was REALLY fun recording with you guys though and I'm excited to hear 7. :D

Whoa, I'm all over that podcast. :lol: Thanks for the shout out and the comic mention, Kayleigh! I actually listened to this while I was inking a strip.

(Oh Chris - I finally got to hear Envy's English voice. If that's really what I sound like, then that's AWESOME.)

The comments about massages reminded me about some of the things my mom's told me about working as a massage therapist. She's actually had to kick more than one man out of her room because they came expecting a little uh, extra. Ughghgh. *shudder*

Well I think you have a very "FMA- Envy" sounding voice. Obviously it's not spot on exact but it's pretty damn awesome. I also LOVE Envy especially because he's androgynous ;)

• 2 weeks later...
KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Episode 7

Hosts: Sophie, Chris, Kayleigh, Ellie, Linzy and Henrik

ANXIETY! Yes I was anxious because I am behind, again, with getting this episode out. Apologies. This week we discuss Anxiety Disorders. Also talk about Visibility, is harmful to asexuality? And your daily prescription of random. All here. All the time!

Awesome podcast as usual! I've been waiting for this topic, so be prepared for a huuuuge reply.

While I have no diagnosed anxiety disorders, I'm about 100% positive that I have OCD and social anxiety. I can COMPLETELY identify with the fear of phones; I've had many jobs that have required me to use phones, and those jobs have honestly made this fear worse by constantly forcing me into it. The only job I've ever had where I was comfortable with telephones was - amusingly - being a switchboard operator, which basically is nothing BUT answering phones all day. The difference there though is that was all I was doing. I didn't have to talk to anyone myself, all I did was pick up the line, say "How may I direct your call?", and then transfer it to another department.

With other jobs where I've had to actually speak to people, I also had to keep a script up, or at least a list of common things I normally had to say, because the moment I'd wind up with someone on the line I would panic and forget everything. Even simple things that I just told someone else two minutes earlier. It's like the very act of speaking over the phone turns my brain off.

I KNOW that I have OCD, even with it being undiagnosed, just because I have way too many symptoms of it to NOT have it. Some of the compulsions I have are harmless, like needing both hands to be wet if one of them gets wet, having to touch every side of an object with both hands, etc., while others can be a bit uh... dangerous. I won't go into detail, suffice to say I really prefer having someone else drive me places versus having to drive myself due to compulsions I feel when I drive.

Oh and Kayleigh, I'm totally with you on panicking over computer failure. I've never experienced an actual panic attack, it's more like it triggers depression in me; I can't tell you how many times I've sat on the floor by my computer desk unable to bring myself to do anything because my machine - my entire world, really - has suddenly stopped.

The last thing I'll say here is that I have this terrible fear of talking to people about my problems because I think that I'm bothering them. I pretty much never talk about my issues to anyone IRL, despite how much I really, really need to sometimes. Just last week I was pacing around my apartment with my cellphone in my hand trying to talk myself into calling my mom because I desperately needed to talk to her; it wasn't the phone that was the problem, I can call her just fine, it was the fact that I had a problem and I didn't want to burden her with it. I think to myself "You can deal with this on your own, you don't need help with this" but it just gets worse and worse until eventually I can't talk to anybody about ANYTHING.

I even have this problem online sometimes, writing posts and then deleting them because I wind up thinking that it doesn't matter, no one really needs to read it. I can't tell if it's anxiety or depression or some kind of lack of self esteem, but whatever it is it's really starting to impact my life. Like right now I'm thinking that I don't really need to post this, it's just a long rambling post that doesn't actually matter. Which is why I'm going to stop here and just say again that the podcast was awesome; keep up the good work. ;)

KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Episode 8

Hosts: Sophie, Chris, and Henrik

This episode we talk about meetups and relationships and more meetups and more relationships.

• 4 weeks later...
KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Episode 9

Hosts: Sophie, Chris, Ellie, and Kayleigh

• Intro
  • Feedback
    • Lego M on Anxiety Disorders

[*]What's Happening on AVEN?

[*]Main topic: Asexual Visibility

• Why do we want to be visible as a sexuality?
    • How to acheive visibility:
    • Asexual Podcasts
    • K.I.S.S
    • Coming out
    • Join the media team! -Contact DJ on AVEN?
    • How the hosts discovered they were asexual
    • Online visibility
    • Asexual Facebook groups
    • Random irrelevant Facebook groups
    • Chris' Radio interview

[*]Google random word: Asexual World

• How asexual relationships are different to sexuals idea of 'just friends'
    • Snails
    • The word asexuality
    • Icecreams with connotations of sexuality

[*]Contact us!

• unscrewedpodcast@gmail.com
    • Twitter: unscrewed_aces
    • Facebook 'Unscrewed & Illuminated'

KayleeSaeihr

Click Here to Download Bonus Episode 10

A Special Episode for episode 10, we're light on content (but there is content!) and heavy on random (lots of random!)

Hosts: Sophie, Chris, Kayleigh, Snowy and Jicragg

• Crazy Intro
  • Feedback
    • Ivan
    • Jicragg, as read by Jicragg
    • Harassing Jicragg's cat.

[*]Chris and Sophie's Europe Adventure! (Monday!)

[*]Definitions of a 'bogan' and the international equivalent

[*]Purple Plaid shirt phenomenon begins...or so Sophie thinks

[*]'la la la la la' Emperor Avagadro Ganz - the 80's TV show soundtrack!

[*]Is it possible to be aromantic and sexual?

[*]Bisexuality on Sex & the City

[*]Gay marriage: Yes or No?

[*]The asexual flag debate...

[*]AVEN: Good or bad?

[*]Should there be an aromantic subforum?

[*]Is having an online asexual community the same as having an online community for people who don't like tennis?

[*]What it's like to be an AVEN moderator

[*]How asexuals feel about gender roles

[*]Australian vs British accents

[*]Riding kangaroos and keeping drop-bears

[*]The Sydney AVENite scene

[*]'I'm a doctor - not an esculator!'

[*]Is asexuality related through extended families?

[*]Henrik tells a loooong joke about martians and monks.

[*]Finito!

We go off the rails to bring you a special bonus episode for our 10th episode! With new hosts Snowy (Gemma) and Jicragg!!

Never having Jicragg in your podcasts! They're shit! NEVER AGAIN!

2-2.jpg

And Chris and Sophie failed to come to our Cardiff meet. <_< Being there two weeks early.

In all due respect.

It was suggested that since your pod cast is an off site entity and there fore not under the jurisdiction of Aven TOS that any issue with the pod cast be brought to the pod peoples attention.

So do make it clear on your pod cast that you while members of Aven you do not speak for or in any official capacity of Aven.

Respectfully

Jo

In all due respect.

It was suggested that since your pod cast is an off site entity and there fore not under the jurisdiction of Aven TOS that any issue with the pod cast be brought to the pod peoples attention.

So do make it clear on your pod cast that you while members of Aven you do not speak for or in any official capacity of Aven.

Respectfully

Jo

Suggested by who?

I think it's pretty clear already that Unscrewed is not an official AVEN project. Just as Hot Pieces of Ace is not an official AVEN project. Any further making it clear would just be redundant.

We've never spoken for AVEN in any capacity, official or otherwise.

they're referencing my post on the IVAN thread, here.

I figured it was clear that the podcast does not speak for AVEN, nor AVEN for podcast, but there is apparent confusion.

Guest nalley poo pie pants

Hi Kaylee, *waves*

I thought maybe there were two Kaylees or something... or that someone was filling in for you on the podcast and just called themselves Kaylee as a joke--your voice is amazing now! :cake: :cake:

Okay, sorry I just wanted to say that before getting to the whole jurisdiction topic thing.

So yeah, in the ivan thread... one of the illuminated podcasts got brought up because of it's discussion in regards to a member (or not member). *doesnt know how else to say that* :wacko:

I saw you post this over in that thread, and thought I'd copy and include it over here too... because it seems a bit more expanded... and maybe the discussion is here now? :unsure:

As one of the podcast creators, I'd like to point out, once more, that the podcast is no affiliated with AVEN, just as HotPiecesOfAce is not affiliated with AVEN.

The discussion of Ivan may have been ill-advised but he did email us and opened that line of discussion as such we felt free to discuss the issue. Some things may have been said that I wouldn't agree with, and if I recall I was rather quiet when the Ivan discussion came up.

[removes the IRC part--egd]

Let me reiterate. Unscrewed & Illuminated is not affiliated with AVEN. The podcast is a discussion and opinion panel. Ivan was raised and discussed and opinions presented. Simple as that.

After the non-jurisdiction answer in regards to the podcast, I felt some confusion.

I even went and created a thread with various examples/scenarios (cause I didn't want to keep hijacking the Ivan thread, or make it all about this podcast or the people on this podcast). I've misunderstood stuff before... so I thought I'd clarify by asking the admod team qeustions before I unintentionally end up getting myself into trouble by being the one who makes the mistake--or getting bothered when I guess really it's not my place to get bothered officially or unofficially. *hopes you know what i am saying*

I included a podcast or a blog as one of my examples, and I didn't mean to do a straw man about your podcast... my example was specifically meant to be more questionable. :redface:

I do have to say, from what I saw of JoD's suggestion about clarifying your relationship with AVEN--that might really be a good idea in the longterm. LIke, maybe it doesn't even need to be verbally stated in every podcast but just posted on the website itself? :unsure: (don't shoot me, Kaylee!! *runs and hides*

Anyways.. I just want to protect people from getting in trouble (if there is some possibility), and/or help prevent confusion/communication issues that might arise down the road again...

--EGD

P.S. Does anyone think maybe HPOA might benefit from something like that on their youtube page? :unsure:

P.P.S.

If the podcasters want, you guys could probably ask to have some of this split out of here I suppose. (Maybe the podcast part in the Ivan thread could also be split off and these two discussions merged together?) I think it's probably good to let the discussion run its course--but I don't know how comfortable you feel about it being in this specific thread.

There is quite a bot of discussion regarding someone calling Ivan an idiot off-site. Had he posted such in AVEN, likely he might have earned a nudge. In this case, we did not decide to take such action. That should conclude the issue. It does not seem to be necessary to get further complicated.

Thanks.

And :cake: to the shiny work for asexuality that U&I has done.

Hi Kaylee, *waves*

I thought maybe there were two Kaylees or something... or that someone was filling in for you on the podcast and just called themselves Kaylee as a joke--your voice is amazing now! :cake: :cake:

No, that would've been SpirallingSnowy pretending to be me. I was the one pretending to be Gemma (aka Snowy).

So yeah, in the ivan thread... one of the illuminated podcasts got brought up because of it's discussion in regards to a member (or not member). *doesnt know how else to say that* :wacko:

I saw you post this over in that thread, and thought I'd copy and include it over here too... because it seems a bit more expanded... and maybe the discussion is here now? :unsure:

As one of the podcast creators, I'd like to point out, once more, that the podcast is no affiliated with AVEN, just as HotPiecesOfAce is not affiliated with AVEN.

The discussion of Ivan may have been ill-advised but he did email us and opened that line of discussion as such we felt free to discuss the issue. Some things may have been said that I wouldn't agree with, and if I recall I was rather quiet when the Ivan discussion came up.

[removes the IRC part--egd]

Let me reiterate. Unscrewed & Illuminated is not affiliated with AVEN. The podcast is a discussion and opinion panel. Ivan was raised and discussed and opinions presented. Simple as that.

After the non-jurisdiction answer in regards to the podcast, I felt some confusion.

I even went and created a thread with various examples/scenarios (cause I didn't want to keep hijacking the Ivan thread, or make it all about this podcast or the people on this podcast). I've misunderstood stuff before... so I thought I'd clarify by asking the admod team qeustions before I unintentionally end up getting myself into trouble by being the one who makes the mistake--or getting bothered when I guess really it's not my place to get bothered officially or unofficially. *hopes you know what i am saying*

I included a podcast or a blog as one of my examples, and I didn't mean to do a straw man about your podcast... my example was specifically meant to be more questionable. :redface:

I do have to say, from what I saw of JoD's suggestion about clarifying your relationship with AVEN--that might really be a good idea in the longterm. LIke, maybe it doesn't even need to be verbally stated in every podcast but just posted on the website itself? :unsure: (don't shoot me, Kaylee!! *runs and hides*

Anyways.. I just want to protect people from getting in trouble (if there is some possibility), and/or help prevent confusion/communication issues that might arise down the road again...

--EGD

P.S. Does anyone think maybe HPOA might benefit from something like that on their youtube page? :unsure:

P.P.S.

If the podcasters want, you guys could probably ask to have some of this split out of here I suppose. (Maybe the podcast part in the Ivan thread could also be split off and these two discussions merged together?) I think it's probably good to let the discussion run its course--but I don't know how comfortable you feel about it being in this specific thread.

First; Why would I shoot you!? I wouldn't shoot anyone :P Even if they disagreed with me, which you're not by the way.

Second; I do agree that it is an issue worth discussing, but I do think off site means out of jurisdiction. But does this mean that such projects might not be able to be advertised (as it were) here because the AVEN leadership can't administer it?

Third; I don't think splitting out this discussion is necessary, as we will almost certainly discuss it in the next episode.

Fourth; Sophie, SphereFTW, created the podcast. It's her project overhaul, and she largely decides what topics we'll discuss on each episode (there is some discussion on that), the Ivan topic kinda came out of nowhere, I didn't expect her to want to discuss it and in all honesty thought, at the time, that it was a bad idea and would inevitably bite us on the ass. Which of course it did. However I still defend our right to say what we said. Whoever it was that said, I don't recall and haven't listened to the episode recently.