Asexual Artists

ChaliceFlame

Not at all. Nudity does not automatically equal being sexual.

50 Cent Piece

I'm an ace artist! I usually draw men more than women, but I've been drawing women a lot lately.

Actually, I've drawn more women ever since I found AVEN. I already got confused for a lesbian a lot and I felt self conscious about drawing beautiful women. Once I realized "Oh thank god, I don't HAVE to like either", I started drawing more women (I also became more comfortable around dudes, since I wasn't trying to constantly analyze if I was feeling anything).

Also, I'm drawing more women now because my last comic didn't have any female main characters, whereas my next has two. I still draw a lot of dudes, though, because dudes have really nice shoulders XD

Ha. I'm in a creative writing class and I'm making a graphic novel for my final (long, funny story...) and since I've started it, I've noticed that I really don't like drawing females. Not because I don't like how they look, but because I feel gross drawing out all the curves (and, admittedly, feel gross when passing by pelvic areas of either sex). So one of the main characters is a human female who binds and lives as a male (not trans, but because the human society in the novel is very sexist). Also there's a species I made up called Vykall who are basically people with wings, and female Vykall don't have breasts, their chests are just like guys (and neither sex has nipples). The female Vykall are generally leaner and taller than the males, but the Vykall are pretty andro really, and I've found that I really like drawing them.

For humans, I definitely prefer drawing males. They don't gross me out so much. And I agree with Sans, that males have better shoulders.

Not an artist exactly, but I like drawing things, like faces and especially eyes. Somehow they always turn out female-looking. I think it's just easier for me to draw girly eyes because you just exaggerate the lashes, and draw curved lines. Whereas I have to try harder to draw a male face and make things more angular. My attempts at drawing male features always ends up making the person look androgynous. :P

I'm more of a portrait person than full body stuff. Even then I tend to favour males. I have no idea why, I just find male faces a lot well, not necessarily easier to draw than female ones, more that I find them far more interesting to draw. Male faces and expressions (to me at least) seem to be a lot more subtle and nuanced than female ones... no idea why I find that *shrug*.

I also have a bit of an 'obsession' with drawing hands of late, and even then I favour male hands... it's rather odd. I think I just prefer the 'look' of them. Male musculature is more obvious/ striking than female... I guess that could be why I do it. Who knows really.

Thinking about it, I don't think I have drawn a female in close to 3 years... I may have to remedy that at some point :P

I'm an artist, sorta... But now that I think about it, I can't really say anything about my preferences concerning humans when drawing. I think I spend more time drawing insects than people. I don't even remember the last time I drew a person.

I'm sort of an artist (I don't do it for a living or anything, but I do it a lot). I prefer drawing girls because they're prettier in my opinion, and tend to have more varied looks. (I'm both a realism artist and a manga artist who especially loves designing characters. :lol:) ...Maybe that's why my cast of nineteen characters only has four boys. To be honest, though, even though I'm heteroromantic, I prefer girls in everything besides romance. :blink:

KieranTheWerewolf42

I sketch my characters when I write, and I like sketching males better. My female characters even end up looking a bit male.

ChaliceFlame

I aim to make my portfolio half males and half females.

Which means in the end I'll draw more males overall since I'll be discording more of the male drawings.

I wouldn't call myself artist, but I like to draw quite much, just for fun... And I ALWAYS draw girls :blink: actually, if I draw men/boys, they just end up looking like girls. Or maybe women with a beard? XD Sooo... I think that a female face is easier (at least when I've hardly ever practiced drawing male faces :P) and nicer to draw - the feminine features are just more beautiful in my personal opinion... In general, I mean - of course there are really great looking guys out there, I just can't draw them.

And what comes to the curves, I don't draw very curvy people anyway. Maybe the persons I draw are actually quite androgynous (is it written that way? :redface: )

ChaliceFlame

I tend to give many of my chars androgynous type faces.

For life drawing... I think I prefer drawing females, just because the curves are more fun/easier for me to draw, they're all like "swoooop~" But it depends on the model, I suppose.

Otherwise if it's just personal random junk... I'm not sure I have much of a preference. XD Especially with cartoons, since you can make really interesting characters that are fun to draw with any gender...

• 1 month later...
LittleMissAwesome

I almost always draw girls, I suppose they just look better in my pictures. It's the hair I like :)

bitterforsweet

I love drawing women because I find the female body much more fun to draw. I love all the curves, the hips, the dip in the back. It's really rewarding when I'm doing gestural drawings to be able to knock out one shape or area of the model in a quick line. I enjoy drawing men only when they're doing an elaborate pose. Men standing still in contrapposto puts me to sleep.

But I'm only sounding picky because of the question. I love drawing the human body. I never cease to be amazed at how similar and different we all are. I love to draw specific parts of anatomy and have to fight my brain because my hand knows that shape and can knock it out, but suddenly it's this person's shape and you have to own it for them.

Lord Dandylion

Well, I always assumed that always drawing females was because I was more familiar with that type of body (makes sense, right?) I know a few other sexual artists who feel the same way. I also have a tendency to love drawing curvy and swirly things, so this also may contribute to my preference.

Eli Dupree

I usually prefer not to draw humans. When I do, if I have a choice about the gender, I usually draw androgynous-looking ones with long hair, and I complain when people make assumptions about their genders.

For instance.

Lord Dandylion

Hehe, I do that, too sometimes :) What's really annoying is when people ask you (like you're 5 years old or something) 'Oh, who's that?' and you just reply 'Nobody?'

Eli Dupree

I wouldn't say "nobody" but I usually don't know the names of the (non-existent) people I draw in my pictures. But, the question "Who's that" is bogus anyway. You're expected to provide a name, and sometimes you don't know the person's name, and even if you do, their name is not really who they are. When someone asks me that in general, I usually give both their name (if I know it) and the most relevant details I can think of about them (e.g. "I know her from when we took Fiction Writing together.")

For the picture I linked, my response would be something like "Someone who is very scared and alone."

I actually don't have a preference. I like drawing male and female bodies, and really like drawing androgynous people.

I enjoy writing for males more than females though, so a good majority of my comic characters are male. Whenever there's a scene with a woman in it I always get excited because I get to draw a female body for once. :lol: It's a special treat.

I draw more females and really prefer to, as well. I like curves, generally, and I love to draw me some curvaceous ladies. Also, I am better at drawing females, because I always preferred to draw girls growing up (because they were "prettier", hahaha) and developed that more so than drawing men. So, I am trying to get better at drawing men, because I love to write guy characters, but it's a painstaking process and I still love to draw ladies more.

sitdownstandup

I draw the characters in my stories and comic books. most of them are men. The older I got the more men I drew, probably from the influence of the members of my anime club who were huge yaoi fans. I loved the yaoi art style even if the storytelling never grabbed my attention, so I made my faces more angular and my characters more physically gender-neutral.

as far as nudity goes, I draw more completely naked or half-naked anime girls, especially in a casual way. I always thought it was stupid that all pictures of half-naked anime characters are in beefcake and cheesecake style (I'm a hypocrite because I draw in that style sometimes, too, just for humor and cheesiness). I actually think nudity in art is pretty mundane, contrary to the "mature content" warnings on DA ;)

InfinityPlusOne

I don't draw, but I do some 3d art, and when I do I prefer to use female models. I prefer the female form in general; I've always found it more aesthetically interesting.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I don't draw nudes because I think many parts of the human body (male or female) are ugly. I do draw, though, and I prefer drawing women only because I find it hard to make faces look masculine :P

Ansalathon

I prefer to draw male portraits. In life drawing classes, I had no preference as long as the model was good. I did find that the female models were much better than the male models, though, so I enjoyed drawing women more simply for that. Otherwise I identify with what I guess one might call an animus more, so I draw male figures a lot more often if it's off the top of my head.

• 11 months later...
Mr Hat Tricks

I prefer to draw males. I mean, clearly feminine women have more obvious curves (which I find can get annoying to judge), but drawing men allows me to draw handsome lines which I much prefer. Plus, I find it harder to give a character that I'm drawing... well, character when they're female. I feel like they end up all looking similar.

... Maybe I've just gotten bored of being surrounded by girls XD

I like to draw both, actually. o.o Though I think I prefer to draw people who are more Androgynous looking.... I don't actually have a preference, now that I think about it. o.o

I like to draw both, actually. o.o Though I think I prefer to draw people who are more Androgynous looking.... I don't actually have a preference, now that I think about it. o.o

weathered fair

I like drawing women and girls, just because I tend to find them cuter, prettier, and so on. Or rather, I feel that they have more potential to be this way. And it's easier to draw them this way without the drawing becoming...I dunno...fetishistic? I will never forget the time that someone made a vague sexual comment towards a five year old male character that I had drawn in a sort of cute/anime style. In certain spheres of the anime community, pretty females are considered to be standard fair, but males who are pretty are...masturbatory aids- regardless of age, apparently! -_-

And aside from aesthetics, I just like them more. It's always easier for me to be charmed by a female "character" than a male one. I don't know what my issue is.

I won't define myself an artist, but yes I do like drawing. When drawing people, I prefer drawing males, actually, but... it's because my drawings generally have a deep concept behind them, so I don't see them as males, I see every character I draw as the very image of mankind. As such, I prefer to represent it in the male form.

I also like drawing naked torsos, but not full nudes. I have a deep anatomic interest for the human body, I find it a beautiful architecture I've always been interested to reproduce with pencil and paper. Not in a sexual way though. Just an artistic one ;)

One of my most accomplished drawings (which is still crap compared to many other artists') was my Icarus in Triumph, a metaphorical reinterpretation of Icarus' myth. Read on deviantArt for more!