Why do black people have more STD's?

Arathorn

The CDC reports: For African-Americans, the prevalence of genital Herpes infection was 39.2 percent -- more than three times that of whites, at 12.3 percent. Black women are most affected by the disease, with an infection rate of 48 percent...

While African-Americans make up 12 percent of the U.S. population, that population accounts for nearly 50 percent of all reported syphilis and chlamydia cases, more than 70 percent of all reported gonorrhea cases and about half of all new HIV infections.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/10/genital.herpes/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Now the question is why are there such a difference after living nearly 300 years in America? Do black people have more unprotected sex, are they more susceptable or is there another reason? Before you blame poverty, remember that there are more poor white people than poor black people in America.

1.If people aren't going to the hospital to get check ups, some people don't know they have an STD.(Aids,herpes, syphilis and chlamydia )

2. Some people don't believe in condoms.

3. If a person doesn't know they have a STD, Of course the STD rate is going to go up. Some of these people are in committed,monogamy relationship but don't get check up.

This may sound ridiculous to some of you but I'm a firm believer in the AIDS conspiracy and I wouldn't doubt the other STDS as well. I don't think the race of blacks is to blame for being STD hosts; I think there is something more brimming behind closed doors.

I was just watching the world according to Monsanto, a documentary about an evil corporation who's ruined our food supply and environment and is a direct link to cancer because of the PCBs and GMOs, and guess what? They targeted low income black families as test subjects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE

It happened in Anniston, Alabama. Starts at 5:40.

This may edge slightly towards the racist side of the fence, so I'd just like to say beforehand now that I am only restating something I've heard, whether or not its true I have no idea. Also, I'm not American so I have no real idea about how society is structured there.

Anyway, I think I've heard of this before. I also heard some reasoning behind it: Basically, the black gang culture promotes a sort of "pimpin' mah hoes" manliness. Strangely contraception can often be considered a wimp's way out, cowardly and not for us Men, oh no. So in order to appear stronger it's not used.

Frankly, I can't see why this wouldn't often be the case for other racial groups, but like I said, I don't really understand the way American society is structured.

My first guess would be that it's easier to spread STDs if you don't know you have one, to know you have one you need a check up and especially in the US where there is no nationalised health care that costs money. And because there is a greater percentage of black people who are poor than white it's harder for many to get those check ups and so on so forth? Maybe?

That would be my first guess. I expect there's several factors in it and you'd have to look at other connections between those groups who have high rates of STDs and those who have low.

ETA: I should add, my own bias is to see many issues from a class PoV. Probably cause I grew up and still am working class white British.

Before you blame poverty, remember that there are more poor white people than poor black people in America.

I don't know where you get your statistics. But this doesn't mean that poor white people have a lower incidence of STDs than poor black people. A far higher portion of white people are richer (and healthier), and this could skew comparisons like this.

Maybe a lot of the STD publicity campaigns really only speak to white people. If the government health propagandists have been gearing the education about STDs towards people like themselves (i.e. white people) then the message may have passed more african american youths by.

Also, from what I see from this side of the pond, white people are more likely to be atheist. Opposition to the use of condoms is present in many churches. But teenagers will (mostly) be teenagers.

This may sound ridiculous to some of you but I'm a firm believer in the AIDS conspiracy and I wouldn't doubt the other STDS as well. I don't think the race of blacks is to blame for being STD hosts; I think there is something more brimming behind closed doors.

I was just watching the world according to Monsanto, a documentary about an evil corporation who's ruined our food supply and environment and is a direct link to cancer because of the PCBs and GMOs, and guess what? They targeted low income black families as test subjects.

Yeah the US government has done a lot projects on minorities. You know there was a large sterilization one (I think in the 80's and 90's) they pulled it because the birth control they were giving them had a higher than normal mortality rate.

The CDC reports: For African-Americans, the prevalence of genital Herpes infection was 39.2 percent -- more than three times that of whites, at 12.3 percent. Black women are most affected by the disease, with an infection rate of 48 percent...

While African-Americans make up 12 percent of the U.S. population, that population accounts for nearly 50 percent of all reported syphilis and chlamydia cases, more than 70 percent of all reported gonorrhea cases and about half of all new HIV infections.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/10/genital.herpes/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Now the question is why are there such a difference after living nearly 300 years in America? Do black people have more unprotected sex, are they more susceptable or is there another reason? Before you blame poverty, remember that there are more poor white people than poor black people in America.

The question could also be..with the south african goverment being largely black led and directed why has the increase in aids and the lack of facilities to reduce it still showing high figures of aids

truth is the black addition is nothing more than a gimmick to attract headlines

now if they had asked why are so many americans are being caught out by sti's and not made it a colour thing I would have thought less offended

in the u.k the increased amount of pregnancy to single teenage mums is as it has been for some time on the up...funnily enough the colour of the mum wasn't mentioned

I suspect the colour issue will be exploited by those with colour issues which will be used to claim...the blacks they are stupid and are bred for physical whilst the white man is naturally for intelligent thinking..of course the ones likely to use that are the types like k.k.k. who are not largely known for intellect

As far as the "AIDS conspiracy", the disease now known as AIDS first appeared in the 1950s in the area of Africa where people come in close contact with monkeys and in fact eat monkeys. Simian AIDS (SIV) jumped species. I don't think Monsanto was involved with that. In the West, the disease first took hold when gay white men vacationed in Haiti and other places where infected Africans worked. It was spread among the general community in African countries and among the Black community in the US by "down low" sexual activity (covert homosexuality among ostensibly heterosexual men), married men frequenting infected prostitutes, and contaminated needles, and also among the white community through the same activities. It continues to be spread by people who don't know they have it, and by people who know they have it and don't think it's a big deal because they're taking medications to boost their T cells and don't really care about anyone else. It's a virus, not a conspiracy.

Chemical companies have done a lot of horrible damage in the world; they haven't spread virus.

As far as the "AIDS conspiracy", the disease now known as AIDS first appeared in the 1950s in the area of Africa where people come in close contact with monkeys and in fact eat monkeys. Simian AIDS (SIV) jumped species. I don't think Monsanto was involved with that. In the West, the disease first took hold when gay white men vacationed in Haiti and other places where infected Africans worked. It was spread among the general community in African countries and among the Black community in the US by "down low" sexual activity (covert homosexuality among ostensibly heterosexual men), married men frequenting infected prostitutes, and contaminated needles, and also among the white community through the same activities. It continues to be spread by people who don't know they have it, and by people who know they have it and don't think it's a big deal because they're taking medications to boost their T cells and don't really care about anyone else. It's a virus, not a conspiracy.

Chemical companies have done a lot of horrible damage in the world; they haven't spread virus.

Pretty much this. Yes, drugs companies are often not the nicest sort despite their trade which is designed to help people. But they haven't gone and spread HIV around.

Vampireseal

Hmm....While I don't like Monsanto's monopolizing techniques, I regard their transgenic plants as revolutionary, and the fears surrounding them overblown. It's the way they insist on suing any and everybody with even a trace of their patented crops that bothers me. And the fact that they are currently the only agricultural company dealing in genetically modified crops--they should have competitors, and healthy competition should be encouraged.

In regards to test subjects, black and poor white families have been targeted for experiments for years, not necessarily for their ethnicity, so much for the simple fact that they are poor and will do anything for the money. They are also less likely to sue or to be aware of their rights.

Also, I see no evidence that AIDS is a conspiracy anymore than any other STD. If there was some kind of conspiracy designed to kill off a certain group of people, why have a disease that does not kill people off before they have children? If some shadowy group wanted to kill off an entire ethnic group by disease, they'd have to create one that killed people before the age of 12 or 13 or else its pointless.

The truth is sexually transmitted diseases just happen the same as other diseases. I suspect it may be more prevalent in black communities for the simple reason that poorer people have less access to health clinics and AIDS testing, or they live in communities that frowns on sex education. Also, as pointed out earlier, some men take a certain macho pride in not wearing condoms.

In addition, I read in the Augusta Chronicle a few years ago that one of the reasons for a sudden upsurge in AIDS in the black community was due to black men who were "on the down-low". These men often had sexual intercourse other men because they felt they did not have to wear condoms--they did not necessarily consider themselves gay, they just wanted sex without the fear of pregnancy. Obviously they disregarded the threat of STDs.

I think that in any society, you are going to have communicable diseases in the highest prevalence amongst its poorest members. It's part and parcel with poverty, sadly. Only those with greater affluence land jobs with insurance, or can afford the much needed time to take off of work for doctor's visits.

Let's put it this way: if AIDS is a global conspiracy, then so is the flu amongst the elderly, diabetes amongst the poor, and breast cancer amongst women. In other words, a trend does not a conspiracy make.

The group of people with the highest diagnosis rates of HIV/AIDS in the UK are white males aged between 31-34.

Conspiracy.

Moondragon007

You know what also came up in the news recently (and for the umpteenth time): Minorities set to out breed Americans in 2010. I'm not one for thinking somethings up....but.

Yeah, um... minorities ARE Americans.... so that title is nonsensical.

That said, here in California, whites are already less than 51% of the population (the 2000 census made it official), and you know what? It's not a big deal. Even here in Kern County, a conservative island in the middle of the sea of California liberalism, racially motivated crimes are big news cos they're so rare.

Well, to me when I hear about jew/black-only targeted diseases and AIDS higher in homosexuals and blacks...I duno. I don't want to blame the minority people who have them, instead I'd like to think of a more sensible reason for why they would be carriers.

And Fish, not only are blacks still minorities and so would make up a less percentage of the AIDS population no matter how many have it, those men are also most likely over 90% homosexual, yeah?

And remember, AIDS did supposedly start in Africa. I think whoever put it there was planning for it to stay. And it's worked quite well, don't get me wrong AIDS has obliterated the continent, but no plan's perfect.

Well, to me when I hear about jew/black-only targeted diseases and AIDS higher in homosexuals and blacks...I duno. I don't want to blame the minority people who have them, instead I'd like to think of a more sensible reason for why they would be carriers.

And Fish, not only are blacks still minorities and so would make up a less percentage of the AIDS population no matter how many have it, those men are also most likely over 90% homosexual, yeah?

Less than half that actually. 41% in all new cases diagnosed in 2007.

Ok, so then take into account that homosexuals are still minority, therefore, the rates are higher for them. (Not to mention many are still in the closet and may lie due to fear of social scorn).

Sure Sally, that's what they liars want you to believe.

I could say the same to you, Blerd. Maybe "they" are trying to distract you from more important things than making everything into a conspiracy.

I don't know who first brought up the Jew-connected diseases, but there are several that Ashkenazi Jews are highly susceptible to, Tay-Sachs being one. That's a genetic link, because Ashkenazi Jews are more genetically linked than other Jews. Just like the susceptibility to sickle cell disease among African Americans.

Both are genetic susceptibilities. Neither are the result of any "conspiracy."

could it be the chinese are adding msg in such large amounts for food meant for the u.s. they are trying to make americans to fat to fight them when they try and take over the world?

gotta love those conspiracists

could it be the chinese are adding msg in such large amounts for food meant for the u.s. they are trying to make americans to fat to fight them when they try and take over the world?

gotta love those conspiracists

Hahahah. That's so hilarious and sad at the same time. I don't think I've heard that one before, but I can imagine someone using it.

MacDonalds is a conspiracy by the Americans to make the entire world fat so people will stop making jokes about them!

I'm joking. I'd take this as obvious but considering some of the comments on this thread...

Guest Auletris
Before you blame poverty, remember that there are more poor white people than poor black people in America.

Just to clear this up (dasein already took a shot at it):

1.) There are more white people in America than black people, so saying there are more poor white people is a meaningless statement: there are more white people period.

2.) The proportion of poor within the black community is higher than the proportion of poor within the white community. That is the problem. It is proportions, not raw numbers.

Sorry, but I think I used 'conspiracy' quite humbly. What I meant to say was I have a very accurate theory that makes a lot of sense and I think it to be more naive not to take into consideration the biological warfare that's been committed in the past by eugenicist fascists than not.

How many of you know about the Nazi cult and I mean thoroughly? Don't forget history, and don't keep yourself in the dark about what goes on within secret/elite groups; they do exist and they do rule your lives. I recommend 'Endgame' by Derrick Jensen for an elaborate list of government and corporate crimes. The best way to keep slaves is to make them think they're free.

Uh. I know plenty about the Nazis and how they thoroughly twisted good science in a number of fields to their own ends (including fucking dog training), and I'm still pretty sure that AIDS is a disease. Do you have any idea how sophisticated HIV is? Have you got any idea how difficult it would be to construct something like that even if you wanted to? Hell, we're still trying to figure out the mechanisms behind how 'flu viruses and HIV evolve so quickly and figure out the long-term effects of retroviruses on the human genome, how on earth would we be able to engineer something this complex? You give scientists too much credit.

(And hell, if I was going to engineer a plague which was going to make me loads of money, I damn well wouldn't engineer an STD and set it to infect less-privileged groups. I'd target the wealthy first, because they could actually pay for my treatment. Do you know how long HIV research was stymied by homophobia and classism, because good middle-class straight people totally didn't get that, and why should we spend money on a disease that only infects those filthy gays?)

Jeez. I bet you think vaccines are a horrible conspiracy by Big Pharma, too.

Regarding the original topic, I'm inclined to believe it is more of a class issue than anything else. Others have already pointed out that a higher proportion of black people are poor, which means that they may not receive as good an education as more wealthy people on a number of topics, including sex ed. I'd also point out that religiosity is higher among black people; I'm inclined to associate abstinence-only sex ed and abstinence-only values with the highly religious, and when people with those values eventually do have sex they're less likely to know what forms of protection are useful and also less likely to use protection at all.

Eh, all I know is I'll take my chances at being extra suspicious. And you're right, I don't get vaccines either. Not since I had a directly related seizure at age 14 from the tetanus booster. Maybe that's why I'm crazy. :P

Eh, all I know is I'll take my chances at being extra suspicious. And you're right, I don't get vaccines either. Not since I had a directly related seizure at age 14 from the tetanus booster. Maybe that's why I'm crazy. :P

Anybody can have an individual reaction to an individual substance. That doesn't justify telling other people that they are naive "slaves" because they don't believe your theories, nore certainly does it prove those theories.

Archived