anyone past 50 on here?

Hi,

Just thought I would join in and introduce myself and answer Alive and Well's question. My understanding is that a black ring on the middle finger means asexual. I don't know if it matters which hand. Does anyone else know?

I'm from New Zealand and I'm very excited at the moment, because thanks to AVEN I have just discovered two other Ace's within my region and I am going to meet one or both of them on Friday.

When I found AVEN a couple of years ago I didn't even know what asexuality was, let alone that there were other people who felt like I did.

I love this site and was very sad when something went wrong with my computer and Aven started throwing me out every time I tried to post. I even considered getting a new computer, but couldn't afford it. Borrowed my daughter's occasionally so I could post, but it wasn't the same.

After updating to Windows 10, it finally occurred to me to try again....and here I am.

Here, and on the Arcade of course. I just love banning, blaming and suing Mz Terry, Mole, Sky Captain, Glyn and all the other talented people who play there.

• Like 8

Welcome, Pink.....thanks for the info about rings.

Horrible Example ( :unsure: ) the info about posting pics says you need a URL to post a pic.....how does that work if the pic is on your computer?

• Like 3

OK so I googled 'how to post a pic from your computer to a forum' and now I know how.......just have to get to it!!

have a great day/night!

• Like 1

Welcome to the busiest older thread, Bright Pink

The black ring should be worn on the right middle finger to denote asexuality.

• Like 5

Welcome Bright Pink :cake: :)

I had a pretty good weekend with two hikes that managed to stay under redwood trees and so stay cool during a heat wave (90F+ temperatures in the sun) that arrived this past weekend and continues today in the San Francisco bay area.

Pictures:

Sanborn Hike: https://goo.gl/photos/zkwrrjUBECBZGzvW7

Miller Property: https://goo.gl/photos/esy3MfBqgFxeCYtR6

Cathy

• Like 4

Welcome, Pink.....thanks for the info about rings.

Horrible Example ( :unsure: ) the info about posting pics says you need a URL to post a pic.....how does that work if the pic is on your computer?

You need to upload to a site such as 'Photobucket'

Barney%20wow_zpstceuhg4i.jpg

Welcome Bright Pink - hope you enjoy your meet up - 'Lord of the Rings' = New Zealand and now 'Thunderbirds are Go' :D

• Like 4

*looks at his new title*

So, um, yeah, that happened.

Congratulations Q! Did you have to get elected to Admin or was it an internal AVEN promotion?

What new things can you do as an admin that you could not do as a moderator?

Actually, it was decided when a watery tart threw a sword at me. :p As for what I can do now that I couldn't do then, I'm not a hundred percent certain. I've got new buttons, but I don't which ones work or what to do with them. I've got me some training to go through. :D

• Like 6
Welcome, Bright Pink! Have some :cake:

(so the black ring kind of negates the usual meaning of the middle finger?) lol

That is so cool that you found some local Aces and are going to meet with one or both!

Looks like a couple of nice hikes, Cathy. Yeah, it was 100 degrees here today.

Q, I think one of the perks is now you get to write in red instead of green. :P (I prefer green, but there it is)

Some forums will let you post photos by attaching them directly from your computer. To the best of my knowledge AVEN requires a url to the images, which means they have to be hosted somewhere that lets you link to them. Ever since Google dropped support of picasa I have yet to work out something on some other photo-hosting site so I only post images from image searches on the web (which means I'm not posting any of my own pics).

• Like 6

Congrats, Q! 8) Have fun in your new position!

Welcome, Bright Pink! :cake: :) Yes, it is fun to play in the AVEN Arcade! I enjoy yours and others' bans, blames, etc.!

On Friday I went to a few garage sales after work and found some VHS movies and books. They are:
Movies:
Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back (saw this already but in the mood to see it again)
Spaceballs (thought I hadn't seen this)
Treasure Planet (Disney)
Toy Story 2 (saw this and would like to see again some time)
Sci-fi/fantasy/adventure books:
The Thief
The Time Travelers (book one)
Artemis Fowl – The Lost Colony
I watched Spaceballs and yes, I did see it before and I don't think it's a very good movie. About the only thing I really liked about it was John Candy's moving dog ears and the Spaceballs song at the end of the movie. I watched "Antz", another video I picked up recently and liked that, though I think "A Bugs Life" is better. I also recently taped "Return of the Jedi" off TV to watch again too.
I was off work today and took mom with me to another town to get my new hearing aid mold and then we went to Walmart to shop a little and ate out at Arbys. Was a nice and fun day today.
  • Like 7

Hi

Thanks for all the welcomes and the :cake:

Gentle Giant: I know many of those movies and like them too. Isn't it amazing how good animation is these days.

Tanwen: I didn't know that Thunderbirds was being created in NZ. Must be a Weta Workshops' one I guess.

• Like 3

Yes, I love animation! I love all 3 of the Toy Story movies and highly recommend them.

I forgot to mention that mom and I went to "Sully" at the theater last night. It was an o.k. movie but I couldn't understand most of the dialogue and it had parts that repeated too much.

• Like 4

There is a large fire in the Santa Cruz Mountains near the south SF bay area. The fire is very close to parks I have hiked in. Sharon and I were in the Santa Cruz Mountains last Sunday but further north than where the fire is. The news is giving updates on the fire. They are now talking about how people being distracted by looking at the smoke will affect traffic. I have to leave for work soon. I usually walk to work but I think I'll drive today because of the smoke caused by the fire. My condo is safe from the fire and is about 60 miles away.

Sharon and I have plans later this month to visit one of the parks being threatened by the fire called Mt Madonna County park. If the fire burns through it we may not get to stay at the Yurt we have reserved. The pictures of the fire and how close it is to the populated south bay is a bit scary.

Cathy

• Like 4

Hope the fire is put out soon, Cathy.

I was eating lunch in my kitchen when a large flock of swallows appeared over the river valley, flying about high up after midges. A sparrowhawk flew among them probably wanting to catch one for a snack.

One of my younger pupils was playing a Russian Dance earlier today. He requested in all seriousness that I dance a Cossack dance while he played. I declined, thinking of my dignity and deciding a Cossack dance was a dance too far, and suggested I played while he danced. He made a very good attempt. The joys of teaching the very young. :)

• Like 5

Stay safe Cathy

When I was around 15 I went skiing with the school and one of the pre-ski exercises we had to do was the Cossack dance - think if I tried it now my new hip would go PING!!! :lol:

• Like 4

Hope that fire extinguishes itself without doing any harm.

My kitties seem to think that I should put the heating on

• Like 5
Cathy, I hope they get the fire under control and put out soon!

Mz Terry, that sounds fun. :D

Skycaptain, unfortunately these fires don't usually put themselves out and the drought doesn't help. They need assistance, to say the least. :(

2 more days until my weekend! :)

I only saw bits of the US presidential debate (mostly through the lens of the comedy shows). Man, what a train wreck. (And I'll just leave it at that) :P

• Like 3

Thanks again for all the congratulations!

Cathy: Forest fires are not a fun thing; I've had relatives who were forced to evacuate Fort McMurray, Alberta. They lost a lot of homes there. On a side note, I had a roommate who was forest fire fighter. One day I came home stinking of smoke from a Raku firing and he said "Mmm... Smells like money." :P

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome Pink! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Congratulations Q, you must be very good at all the techie stuff, hope it goes well for you.

Mz Terry that was a breath of fresh air to listen to the music , and likewise Cathy, with the photos....I combined them and it was just right.

Shame about the forest fires again though, maybe once the cooler weather sets in , the environment can have a chance to recover.

With all this Cossack dancing, I feel my knees going.....but I can't go back a page to name all you Cossack dancers or I'll lose this post! But, you know who you are!

The job seems to be settling down nicely. although i'm working 5 day weeks now instead of 3 twelve hour shifts , I just do 2 twelve hour stints and three six hour ones, which means I can get more done around the house, but....not the garden! I can't touch any leaves! I have a visiting young hedgehog! A little sweetie who seems to thrive on spare cat food...so now there's a menagerie of a tuxedo cat, a pupating privet hawk moth and a hibernating hedgehog. I'd better move out before there's no room for me!

*looks at his new title*

So, um, yeah, that happened.

Congratulations, Q! You deserve it!

You'll still mod our little corner, right?

I'll be modding until the next mod starts, but I'll still be popping by to visit my favourite corner of AVEN. :)

• Like 4

Reading thru topics & posts here but wanted to share:

52 years, 7 months, 2 days - those as spoken many times before "it's not the years... it's the mileage"

More as i wind my way thru the cools, info, questions and words here on "Over 50 Here?" thread.

Regards,

db7

• Like 5

dogboy7 welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Hope everybody's having fun, and keeping busy.

I did a silly, and remembered that I haven't sent my tax return in, ( due tomorrow) so I've been busy completing my account books so I can send it off when I get home, hence not much posting today

• Like 3

Welcome dogboy7 - settle into a comfy chair and enjoy. Oh and have some welcome :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: :)

*Skycaptain - I was notified yesterday that I underpaid my tax in the last tax year by 40p!!! I don't think I have to worry about being sent to The Tower :lol: *

• Like 3

Oookay - not a clue how i posted the same information three times.

I blame chrome mobile - new place @ 10.03.16 will have connection for laptop & proper chrome.

Apologies & many thanks for welcomes!

db7

• Like 3

Welcome dogboy7. Welcome dogboy7. Welcome dogboy7. ;) ;) ;) :cake::cake::cake:

The fire I reported on now has a name. It's the Loma Fire. As of today its only 22% contained and has burned 3,849 acres. I am staying safe and will not head down south to hike. There are several parks close to it that I hike in at least once a year: Uvas Canyon, Calero, Almaden Quicksilver, and Nissene Marks. I saw the big clouds of smoke yesterday from a 101 overpass in my home town which is 60 miles north and slightly east of the fire. I might go walk over the pedestrian bridge after work and take a picture of the smoke if its still visible (I'm guessing it will be visible).

Its my Friday "on" week at work so I have to come in to work tomorrow but on a happy note that means its payday! Hopefully it will be a pretty mellow Friday where I can relax and get caught up on tasks that got put by the wayside for higher priority work which is now done. I'll be doing two hikes this weekend. One in Marin County around Bon Tempe lake and one near Half Moon Bay hiking along the bluffs on the coast. Should be fun and pictures will more than likely be forthcoming!

Peeked south on my drive home and didn't see any big smoke clouds. I would think that bodes well.

Cathy

• Like 3

Welcome dogboy7! Hope you like cake 🎂🍰

Too bad we can't share our cooler weather with everyone out whe all the fires have been. Hope they get under control soon.

Well, I beat my procrastination! I got my handspun shawl done and mailed with one day to spare for the contest at our big fiber festival in October. Yay! I am glad it is done, now I can look forward to the next project. Or maybe finish something already started.

• Like 4