anyone past 50 on here?

Welcome, AceInDaBlackHole! Have some :cake:

Tystie, I hope you get your package!

Faraday, looking forward to seeing your tattoo. :)

Finally heard from the contractor today. We agreed to meet at my house Tuesday morning. I hope he doesn't flake out. I'll be so happy to get this stuff done!

• Like 4

Dave: Yes, I got the package. It was a new phone, which was supposed to have been delivered on Thursday. I'd rearranged things so that I could work from home that day as I was told I'd have to sign for the package. But I got an email at 8am, telling me that it would be delivered on Friday.

I called the phone company; the person I spoke to couldn't understand why I wasn't very happy! We rearranged delivery for Tuesday, and I got an email from the courier confirming the changes.

And then I came home on Friday to find...

But, yes, I did track the parcel down. And I don't know whether to be happy that I've now got the phone or annoyed about the customer service!

Faraday: I'm also looking forward to seeing the tattoo! One of my guilty TV pleasures at the moment is watching 'Tattoo Fixers', and I'm amazed at how fabulous some of the artwork can be. (Don't think I'm brave enough to put myself under the needle, though, so I admire your courage.)

• Like 6

Welcome, AceInDaBlackHole! Please enjoy some :cake: !

• Like 3
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All!

Welcome Aceindablackhole ! Yes Skycaptain I think we in the far east got the rain , it's been dull and cool ever since but I sure aint complaining. i just had to throw out 3 good Lavender plants that died in their pots over the heatwave, so a bit of rain might save the rest. I find that my shed makes a fertile living space for loads of people...frogs, toads, a fox, passing hedgehogs, so they always seem to find some sanctuary in whatever circumstances.

Tystie the thing with the package happened to me in London some years ago. Oddly enough I was in my living room when the courier came, posted a note saying I wasn't in and it was left at 74. Hopping mad and hoping to catch him, I hot footed it to 74, which was an empty flat, looked in the letter box there (nothng) and got on the phone to the courier company. Within half an hour, a box was thrown at my doorstep, no knock or bell, and it contained my bit of tech. I wonder if there was some kind of scam going, I never did find out!

Yay, Faraday! It sounds like a nice piece of artwork, and tasteful. It took mine 2 weeks to heal, with all the swelling and redness, but looks good now.

Daughter had to go back last night because there are no buses today, but it's all good because I go to hers in September for an open day at her work. I'm interested to see what she does in her day.

So, just waiting, twiddling thumbs till I get a start date for the job. Not doing any more agency work in the meantime, so I can do all those jobs I've been putting off - like the painting of the meter boxes at my front door (they've gone all flaky and I hear gloss will tidy it up after a bit of light sanding), cleaning up the gravel around the house (renewing the weed matting underneath and cleaning the gravel then adding some new stuff to replace the lost bits, more gravel to the small spaces around the hard standing I made for my bins at the back, packing the last of my daughter's stuff that she wants to leave here.

Plan is to make a wardrobe in the recess of the main bedroom , open up another recess in the small bedroom into the main one and use the wardrobe there for the smaller room...does that make sense? In other words, using the present wardrobe recess in the big room for the small room and creating another for the big room.

The next plan is to change the stair handrail which is basically a bit of flat wood, hard to grip, with a round one, painting the whole inside (that'll be for winter). Then that's it! I just get on with other life things.

USA people, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say that my heating system is very odd by UK standards. I have warm air heating fired by condensing boiler. It has an air scrubber for dust and costs me very little to run. Here in the UK the standard heating is by wet radiator, so people shake their heads when they see my set up. There seems to be only 2 companies that make these heating systems in England, but they last for 25 years + so it's all good.

Anyway, off to see what I can do first! Best to you all!

Well, my weekend didn't quite go as planned! The receiving person had a family emergency and cancelled. So, we are going to find another weekend that we are both free- not Labor Day, working the next weekend, fair next weekend, and so it goes. It may have to wait until after fair and fiber festival season!

Welcome Jessy and AceInDaBlackHole :) :cake::cake: This is the most fun and hardest to keep up with thread on Aven!

I do think that we need a "dislike" button for bad news as well as a "like" button. Techie- I hope things go well with your mother and her house. Hopefully she will agree to someone coming in to hoe out the house while she is not there.

• Like 4

Or perhaps an "acknowledge" button, which could stand in for like and dislike.

Fall is in the air. I should be getting a whole house full of company trickling in over the next couple of days. I have a small house, so it will be a houseful. Good thing we get along well, usually, haha! So, I need to get stuff ready today, bake treats, get the bigger coffee maker out, get extra towels in the bathroom.

• Like 7

The contractor is supposed to meet me at my house tomorrow morning to fix my patio cover (at least I think/hope he's coming to start the job). Here's hoping the job gets done soon/quickly and I can cross that off my list!

Still Summer here - in the 100s today and the next couple of days. :(

(yes, it's a dry heat, but if it's over 80 that's too warm for me) :P

• Like 4

Daveb, fingers crossed that the contractor shows up as planned! Let us know how it goes.... (And ugh, even a "dry" 100-degree day sounds awful.)

Yikes, Chandrakirti, that sounds like an awful lot to get accomplished whilst "twiddling thumbs"--it's more than I would accomplish in many months! (I tend to be a procrastinator.)

Techie, dealing with someone who hoards is no easy feat. I have a friend who works for the state, trying to help hoarders clean up enough so that they won't get evicted from where they live. But as you well know, it's not as easy as "just" cleaning up and throwing things away. She will have people fight her tooth and nail to keep old newspaper clippings that they intend to someday read or send to a friend, or little bits of odds and ends that they might someday use. I wish you luck and much patience.

So...I was able to get some part-time weekend work helping a caterer. Had my first gig on Saturday and almost fell over from exhaustion! It was a wedding and we were there about 9-1/2 hours. Lots of courses to serve and clear; my back and hips were hurting from being on my feet for so long. But I actually had fun and think I will enjoy doing this kind of work, as I like the variety--first I was setting tables, then I was serving, then clearing, then rinsing plates, etc. My favorite thing was setting the tables, as it appealed to my sense of order and having everything "just so" because everything has a specific place! I'm hoping that I can work once or twice a month. Will have to see what kind of schedule I can get. (And I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of tip I get--the owner splits it between the workers. It's going to my Travel & Vintage Trailer Fund! ^_^ )

Looking forward to this weekend, as it's a 3-day holiday in the States. EVERY weekend should be for three days, don't you think????

Oh, and welcome newcomers! :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

• Like 9
BobRossRules

My neighbors put up their house for sell. I saw the sign for the first time Friday. Then only a few days later, it was sold. They were fabulous neighbors, a retired couple. I'm sad to see them go. I liked them because they were quiet and no screaming kids jumping on the trampoline in the backyard. My other neighbors only live there part time, and their children are grown and live elsewhere. Hopefully the my new neighbors will be nice and quiet.

I made a post of my tattoo in the photo thread. It's very simple, but I plan on getting more art-inspired ones in the near future. My parents were both artists, and I'd like to incorporate some of their art as well as some from my favorite artists.

Only 5 more days until the weekend!!

• Like 5
Thanks, Teatree! I will definitely keep you all posted. :)

Good luck with the Travel & Vintage Trailer Fund!

Faraday, good luck with the new neighbors! Today I saw a U-haul truck at one of my neighbors around the corner (their backyard is almost kitty-corner to my backyard and the noise always carried over whenever they had parties - sometimes lot of kid noises, sometimes music past my bedtime (which is a bit early for most people)).

Now I'm off to the photo thread. ;)

• Like 4

AceInDaBlackHole welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Hope everybody's new neighbours prove amenable

• Like 3
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Thanks Teatree, but my computer updated itself this morning and the upshot is the post above , a duplication even though I posted once , then when I went to post an explanation it added to the two posts instead of being separate .....and now I can only see photos on the thread if they aren't spoilers! All modern conveniences these computers, aren't they! :mad:

BobRossRules

Thanks Teatree, but my computer updated itself this morning and the upshot is the post above , a duplication even though I posted once , then when I went to post an explanation it added to the two posts instead of being separate .....and now I can only see photos on the thread if they aren't spoilers! All modern conveniences these computers, aren't they! :mad:

Here is my tattoo in case you weren't able to access it in the photo thread yet:

14088633_1681311105528284_31162042264233

I'm getting a penguin next.

• Like 6

I took a whole class on penguins once (an extension course from the local university). Also, I have a little plushy penguin (of the Macaroni Penguin species) someone gave me many years ago. :)

I now have trimmed trees and a newly repaired patio cover! Next up, getting the house painted (exterior only for now). I just have to call the painter and get it scheduled. Hopefully he can still do it (I have more confidence in him - he was right on time when he came to look at the house and give me a detailed written estimate). Things are moving along! And now it's only about 4 months to retirement. :D

• Like 6

Penguins are cool. I like black and white animals. DaveB, those projects are done already? I thought they would drag on for a few weeks. Were you happy with the quality of their work?

• Like 4

I was a little concerned they could drag on, too, or require me to start over. The contractor did a decent job. The tree trimmers did more of a hack job, and didn't get all of the fallout, but at least the tree branches won't be in the way of the painter. And at least neither tried to increase their estimates once they got into the jobs. Also, if I had planned to stay here I could live with the work they did.

• Like 6

Yays for getting those jobs finished daveb

Like the tattoo, Faraday

• Like 5

I'm a 55 yo female and pretty much felt alone in this world thinking I was some kind of freak not having any sexual appetite in my life. I have been going through the motions ever since I can remember trying to fit in and figure it out. I've even sought medical advice to no avail. This is my first attempt at reaching out to this community and I feel awkward at best. I have married 4 times and have lost three husbands due to my orientation. I am just now understanding that there are others out there with me on this experiencing the same as me. I'm reaching out in sheer desperation. 2 years ago I married a man who I lived with for 4 years prior. We have maybe had sex an average of once a year. Not a good average for a normal married couple. However my partner remains loving, understanding and faithful. For now. My fear is that it will only be a matter of time and I will again find myself alone. I am beginning to accept that this is something that I cannot control and must embrace the truth that it also will never change. I'm sure that there are others out there that may feel as alone as I do which I am sure that the reason of this forum was originated. I'm tired of feeling so alone in this and fight depression on a daily basis. I'm just looking for a way to cope. Looking for some friendship in understanding. I thought I might be able to find some solace here.

• Like 9

I'm a 55 yo female and pretty much felt alone in this world thinking I was some kind of freak not having any sexual appetite in my life. I have been going through the motions ever since I can remember trying to fit in and figure it out. I've even sought medical advice to no avail. This is my first attempt at reaching out to this community and I feel awkward at best. I have married 4 times and have lost three husbands due to my orientation. I am just now understanding that there are others out there with me on this experiencing the same as me. I'm reaching out in sheer desperation. 2 years ago I married a man who I lived with for 4 years prior. We have maybe had sex an average of once a year. Not a good average for a normal married couple. However my partner remains loving, understanding and faithful. For now. My fear is that it will only be a matter of time and I will again find myself alone. I am beginning to accept that this is something that I cannot control and must embrace the truth that it also will never change. I'm sure that there are others out there that may feel as alone as I do which I am sure that the reason of this forum was originated. I'm tired of feeling so alone in this and fight depression on a daily basis. I'm just looking for a way to cope. Looking for some friendship in understanding. I thought I might be able to find some solace here.

• Like 1

Ninjajean welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Have a look through the forums, make friends and have fun.

The relationships threads may be useful for you.

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wow, Faraday! that's really tasteful! Will the same artist be doing your penguin?

Also, how random Daveb, to have studied penguins! Glad to hear that your jobs got done swiftly and in good order as the immortal Hannibal Smith used to say 'I love it when a plan comes together!'

Welcome Ninajean, hope you find everything you're looking for here, it's loads of fun and we're all in the same boat. Tough being a human, you're just fine being who you are.

Well, today, this is what I did....painted the two meter boxes at my door, cleaned out all the gravel from the front garden and renewed the patchy weed matting, then washed (yes, you saw it here first!) washed the gravel in buckets of water followed by riddling it through an old colander. This took up 4 hours of my time, but well worth it, as I got 2 bucket loads of earth for my back garden and that means less mud to splash up on my front windows when it rains 'comme une vache qui pisse' ( apologies for this quote from my old French teaching assistant who was promptly put straight by the teacher :redface:....and no homophobic pun intended either ).

So now I sit here all aches and pains. I need to get fit again!.....

Still waiting for a start date on the new job, which is a bit scary as I'm earning nothing at all right now. As far as I think it'll be next week or mid September, then I can finance the next stage of the home improvements.

My next door neighbours are getting married on Saturday, so it'll be like Piccadilly circus as they both have enormous Irish families, I don't know how they'll fit into the tiny house, which is a mirror image of my tiny house. It'll be fun watching how they manage :D

Hope you're all going from strength to strength, the best to you all!

Welcome, Ninajean! Have some :cake: I hope you do find some solace here! I think knowledge is good and self-knowledge can be a great boon in taking care of yourself.

Chandrakirti, sounds like you've been busy! Just don't strain yourself! I hope you get a start date for your new job soon!

Well, I got home from work this afternoon and called the painter straightaway! No hemming, hawing, dillying or dallying, or any of my usual methods of putting off phone calls. I didn't really give myself much time to even think about it. I took myself by surprise and just made the call before I knew what hot me. :lol: The painters are coming Friday morning to get started (yes, this Friday!) and said it should take 2 days (Friday and Saturday). The only downside is I'll have to leave my front door open for a few hours when they paint that. I can only hope it's not during the hottest part of the day. Should be well set for getting back to the real estate agent later in September to start listing the house for sale!

• Like 5
BobRossRules

Howdy Ninajean!! Welcome to AVEN. Lot's of us are (or were) in the same boat as you. Plenty of support and friendly folks here. Anyway, have some more cake :cake::cake:.

I will be having the same artist do my penguin tattoo. However, it will be based on one of my mother's pieces of art. She did lots of eclectic stuff, so I'll take elements from it. Anyway, my appointment is next month.

The weather is cooling down here. Although it was in the upper 80s today, it will be in the low 70s the rest of the week.

Only 2 more days till TGIF, then it's the weekend....yay!!

• Like 4

Yay daveb for getting contractors who a) show up, b) give you estimates, c) commit to the job, d) show back up to do the work. You've been more successful in the last three weeks than I've been here in 9 months.

:) << You :mad: << Me.

You have the touch!

Faraday I loved the flower tattoo, it makes me think a bit of art nouveau work. I look forward to the penguin. :D

chandrakirti, you are the industrious one, if I did all that in one day I'd be laid up for a week!

Ninajean, welcome, many of us took the long route to get here, please do settle in for a bit. :cake::cake::cake::cake:

• Like 3