anyone past 50 on here?

Your "sugar strands" must be what Americans call sprinkles. They're enough to ruin anything.

Thanks for condolences and well wishes, folks--you're a lovely bunch.

• Like 3

Welcome to the 50s thread, Snowshoes. I found your post and your questions to be very beautiful.

"Like, society favors those who've lost the sex, more than those who've lost a friend?"

I especially liked this idea/question. I hadn't thought of it quite that way before, and this really clicked with me.

• Like 4
Gentle Giant

Pickles, I hope your s-i-l gets better soon!

Brat is bratwurst. No children were eaten at this holiday dinner. :D

• Like 7
Pickles, best wishes to your SIL! And I am sure she is comforted to have you care for her. One of the professions I admire most is teacher.

Brat is also used that way for "naughty" children in the US. But it's also the shortened form of bratwurst as mentioned. Usually you can tell which meaning is meant by the context. :D (notwithstanding the old WC Fields comment: when asked how he liked children, he replied "parboiled - if they had said "how do you like brats?" and he gave that answer how would you know which meaning was meant...)

Muledeer asked "What's a trifle?" The answer, it's not important.

I used to have an album called "The Wurst of PDQ Bach". :)

• Like 8

Darn. aven is being weird on the iPad tonight. It won't "go to first unread post" and I can't scroll through all 400 pages to read the latest! But it will let me post. Weird. How do you all get to page 400?

Darn. aven is being weird on the iPad tonight. It won't "go to first unread post" and I can't scroll through all 400 pages to read the latest! But it will let me post. Weird. How do you all get to page 400?

• Like 1

It's not just on iPad. It's been behaving badly the last couple of days in general. Yesterday it took so long to do anything I ended up just visiting a few of my favorite threads and then finally giving up and logging off.

• Like 3

pickles, so sorry to hear about your SIL’s accident — I wish her a full and speedy recovery. She must be so grateful to be able to count on your love and assistance in her time of need. You're a good egg. :) (Is that an Americanism only?)

PDQ Bach! That brings back memories, daveb; I went to one of those hilarious concerts back in college. I see that Peter Schickele is now over 80 and still touring.

• Like 5

Thanks for more well wishes, 50s friends. :)

I won't be seeing my SIL for awhile. She lives in Anacortes, WA, and is back home now. The accident occurred on Whidbey Island (in Puget Sound, west of Seattle), and I drove up and cared for her at her mom's house on Whidbey, took her to the surgery in Seattle, then back to Whidbey for a few more days.

I'll pick her up in Anacortes next Wednesday and take her to Seattle for a couple of days, and we'll go to her two-week checkup on Friday. She's been told she can't lift anything heavier than a pencil for three months, and no lifting of ANYTHING for the first two weeks. At her checkup they'll tell her if she can start lifting pencils.

• Like 5

Yeah, they were nasty breaks--the ulna and radius in both arms broken, the left ulna shattered. The bones in the right arm were dislocated, with a break going up the length of the radius (besides being broken across). She's lucky no bones came through the skin, and also feels lucky to be alive, not paralyzed, etc.

Yes, she has some people (none she's as comfortable with, but--of course--she just feels completely grateful). But it's not a good time to leave her 12-year-old, so she's determined to make it work if at all possible.

• Like 3
Qutenkuddly

Cayce, I'm glad you found a reliable contractor. That's a hard thing time find these days.

Mocha Jo, yay for the prize!

GG, may you heal swiftly and completely!

P.S. I feel honored that you admire teachers, daveb. I think there are a number of us on this thread.

And at least one ex-teacher.

Also, may your SIL mend swiftly and completely. Those kind of injuries are not fun to deal with.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez, this has moved on apace again! So sorry about your sister in law's injuries Pickles McGhee, they sound horrific. I hope she heals smoothly.

Interesting variations in language usage though.

You know the joke about the man who goes to the doctor with jelly coming out of one ear and custard out of the other? He couldn't hear a word the doctor said to him because he was a trifle deaf! (groan...)

You'll get your just desserts for that one, chandrakirti :P

• Like 4

Groan! I love bad puns :)

Pickles- wishing your sister in law many healing vibes.

Aven seems to be working better today, thankfully. It is my day off so I can spend time playing on the internet. Not that I shouldn't be cleaning this house that I am coming to hate, or mowing the lawn that I have always hated... I can't wait until this place sells, if it ever does. I hope I am out of here before next winter so my life can feel more settled. I just want everything gone except for necessities and my spinning wheels and fiber. I hate that I can't plan ahead for things.

Oh, well. Eye doctor appt this afternoon to update my prescription. I still am not used to not being able to see the way I have all my life. Getting old sucks.

• Like 6

Doesn't it just! :(

Since my hip operation, I'm having to get used to not compensating for my very damaged right leg - Seems my back had twisted a bit but can now go back into the normal position - hence the backache

• Like 5

Geesh, I disappear for 48 hours and this thread grows by two-plus pages LOL. So many updates I saw in the daily email digest.

Went out bike riding last night on a 19 mile circuit. A lot of the wildlife is out with their young ones. Fed a mother duck and her 7 ducklings. Amazing how they all travel in a herd. Also cygnets and goslings all over. I will probably go out tonight too. Would bring my 10 year old niece along but she prefers staying indoors and playing video games on her tablet or new laptop. In fact, she often has a YouTube video running on the tablet while playing MineCraft or similar on the laptop. I am a tech person, and always have been, but that is just too much IMHO.

My 78-year-old mother continues to have health problems but only now am I getting clued in... by a friend of hers no less. She has been very concerned that neither my sister or I are being told by our mother what is going on. So she forwards me emails or other information she has, on the sly, so we at least have some idea what is up. My mother sent me an email yesterday that she had errands to run today and was going to the medical plaza nearby but that was it. Her friend forwards me my mother email to her that she is having an MRI done. I would not have known. It is terribly frustrating. I turn 54 in 21 days and my siblings and I are still treated at times like small children who cannot possibly know what is going on or have a rational talk with her. There is no health proxy in place so Federal privacy laws prevent her doctors and other medical professionals from talking with us. She has mental issues, as she is a hoarder, her bedroom and bathroom facilities cannot be entered by me as the smell and clutter is overwhelming, and her kitchen would not pass the laugh test in a Health Department inspection.

On a personal note, I am invited to a party on Saturday that will be well attended. One of the attendees will be a woman I have become rather fond of from afar (and I have mentioned here before). Not sure how or if I can deal with it. I've never even been introduced though we do happen to have many friends in common I have discovered. It is a very bipolar type situation with part of me wanting to try and get acquainted and the other part (the intelligence) trying to remind me it is a path to a dead end street. Another one of those times I wish I was aromantic.

• Like 8
Fire Monkey

Techie, I sympathize. There's no easy way to make the transition from the children we used to be, to the responsible party and caregiver. It isn't easy for our parents, either, to see their independence and dignity diminished. Your mother may feel that by excluding you from medical decision- making, she is maintaining a measure of control in her life, which may be in short supply from what you say about her state of mind. Nobody wants to lose that power of choice.

It is never easy. I'll be thinking about you.

• Like 6

It doesn't matter how old our children get, we still think they are our 'children'. It's a strange situation and one I still haven't managed to get my head round. My sons are 37 and 36 and there are many, MANY times I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from saying, "That's a stupid idea. Have you actually thought it through?"

It's a good thing that you do have someone who can keep you up to date what's going on, I hope your mum will let her family know first hand.

• Like 7

Pickles, I'm sorry to hear about your sil, those sound like very bad breaks indeed. Nothing like being a ferry boat ride away when you're going to have lots of follow-up appointments. :wacko:

Mocha Jo, I just learned a new trick for jumping lots of pages while I was playing catch up. In the address bar at the top in that long string after the website name is the page number, you can just change the number in the address and reload to jump to whatever page you want.

My mother had cancer surgery in January and everything has been going pretty well on that front until last week when it looked like she was getting an infection there. We did antibiotics for a week and that looked like it was working but now not so much. I had her nurse take her to the surgeon this morning and he took a tissue sample. Now it's back to waiting for pathology reports again... :mellow:

• Like 5

Techie, I have the opposite problem. Would have been happy to share news and progress of my Achilles tendon injury with my daughter three years ago, if she had shown even the slightest interest! Maybe it's not the most interesting topic...

Mocha Jo (and everyone), just think how many more posts there would be to catch up on if Aven worked properly all the time! I think I just found the silver lining. ^_^

• Like 8

Well the page was still loaded from last night when I posted so I just now saw this whole other page!

It seems our elderly parents have a variety of paths at that stage. Techie, my mother is more like becoming my child and has turned over literally every decision to me. It's like I'm substituting for my father. I'm the one all the doctors call, also housing, banking, the lot of it. In one way it makes it easier although sometimes it seems a bit much. I need to just get used to it and get ready for more because she has early dementia and while her cognition is okay moment to moment, she has no short term memory at all.

I've heard that hoarding might be a control issue as well as other things, so maybe this is part of the same thing. Either way, I'm glad you've got "eyes" on the situation.

• Like 5
Chandrakirti, that takes the cake. (and you as well, Tja)

Mocha Jo, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your house to sell!

Techie, good luck with everything!

Cayce, best wishes for your mother, too!

Ha ha, Pickles, good silver lining! :lol:

The heat is on here. bleah. And I'm stuck in the kitchen, as it were. I just want to crawl into a cold damp hole (or rather, a nice cozy hobbit hole, enlarged to my size).

• Like 6
capellakeddes

Hi im new. Over 50, a bitish. Not sure about this site, but could happily live alone once my children are gone, but not sure about the isolation factor. dont think it is very healthy. i am teacher too.

• Like 4

Metaphorical kitchen. :P

(this hot desert climate)

(until I retire)

Welcome, Capellakeddes! Have some fresh-baked :cake:

• Like 5
Qutenkuddly

Hello, capellakeddes! Please enjoy some :cake: !

• Like 2