anyone past 50 on here?

Autumn Sunrise

Thanks, Fire Monkey and Sky. Now I have to say goodbye to my old car; I've had it since it was new - 15 years - so that's a bit sad . . . but I'm loving my new one. It's not brand new, but it has a lot of safety and comfort features my old one didn't have. Life moves on :rolleyes: :)

• Like 5

Hi fellow Avenites!

Tomorrow is the first day of December, yikes! 2016 is just around the corner. Well I'm still down with severe pain running down my right leg. Bedtime is the worst, because the pain keeps me awake. I'm so frustrated with my health, that I've decided to work out on Wednesday despite the way I feel. Okay enough complaining.

First off, I completed all my Christmas shopping! Next, I got all gifts wrapped and boxed up ready to mail, yay!! :). Finally, all I have left is to complete my Christmas cards and mail them. What a load off my mind!

Finding Myself, I know how you feel, I lost my Dad in 2009. Christmas has never been the same. This will be the first time I celebrate Christmas without any family around. My roommate and I plan on celebrating at home. I went to the Christmas parade last Saturday and it was fun. However, it was freezing, about 32 degrees. This SoCal girl is not used to such cold conditions!

Spot, I believe things will get better for you and your wife.

Autumn Sunrise, I hope your stress level has dropped. What kind of car did you get?

Sky Captain, thanks for the thanksgiving wishes !

Tja, how was your Black Friday?

Cathy, I envy all of your hiking!

Daveb, it's nice to know you can celebrate Christmas without the stress of family.

Welcome Samhurst, cake cake cake!

Okay you all, enjoy December!!!!

• Like 6

SamHurst welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Blondie, the car is a Toyota Corolla hatch, dark slatey blue. It's about the same size , externally, as my old one, but feels bigger inside because of a more effective use of space. It has some features my old one didn't have, including Bluetooth, which will be good when I learn to use it, because I'll be able to use my phone hands-free (the only way it's legal here :D ).

• Like 5

Autumn Sunrise, that's similar to how it was when I went from my 18 year old Nissan pickup truck to my current Suburu Forester a few years ago (one more year to pay it off). Felt similar in size and driver height, but the features! (I never had power windows before, nor a lot of the other features that seem to be pretty standard these days). I guess that's what happens when you basically jump a generation in technology. :) Enjoy!

Blondie, I hope your pain will ease up soon! Is there anything that can be done about it? (other than pain medication) Or is it something that should get better on its own, given a little time?

It's been right around freezing here first thing in the mornings (frost warnings and 32F about the time I head off for work). I finally turned my home thermostat to heat (only if the house gets below 65 though).

With Thanksgiving so late in November it feels like Christmas is coming up almost too soon! I need to get some baking and packaging and shipping done soon!

• Like 5
Finding myself

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all the thoughts and replies to my post about Christmas: Soxfan2, Fire Monkey, daveb, Tja, Spot, Autumn Sunrise, Sandraisme360, Deja Vu and blondie12. Really greatly appreciated each and everyone.

daveb, that turkey, mayo and cranberry sauce sandwich sounds very yummy. I love the descriptions of the celebrations that you have on your own. :D And do you start your holiday in roughly 3 weeks time? :blink: ;)

Autumn Sunrise, the car dying and electricity failure sound very stressful. Pleased you are settled with a new car now. Bluetooth is good, but it does take a lot of power from the battery. Thank you for the explanation of 'cats'; I did think it was strange, and was wondering if they were on leads for the march. :D

Deja Vu, sorry your thanksgiving arrangements were difficult this year. Lots of mixed emotions for you.

Fire Monkey, loved the photo. Looks like massive (in very tall) waterfalls in the background.

Today I ordered a new recorder to go with the t.v. It has wifi so it will be 'interesting' to see how it can be used. I can pick it up from a local store tomorrow. Exciting. I want to be familiar with operating it in good time for Christmas. Getting organised so I can get some of my favorite programs recorded for viewing on Christmas Day.

Tomorrow I am going to the cinema. First time for a while. Will be seeing the film 'Carol'.

• Like 7
Finding myself

Hey yes, Blondie, I do hope you can get some relief from the pain soon. Thinking of you.

• Like 4

Finding myself, good luck with the new electronics! You are wise to get ready ahead of time. I find it often takes me much longer to set things up and get comfortably familiar enough than I expect.

Yes, I'm taking off the week of Christmas and the week after, including New Years (some of that is holiday time and some vacation time). I also planned things so I have time at home both before and after traveling. I do like to get the "work" of Christmas done sooner, so I can relax and enjoy the fun. Of course, not everything can be done before (like the cooking of holiday meals, if you're doing any; but I won't be, this year).

• Like 6

Happy December 1st, my Aven Peeps!

I'm feeling better today. We will see what happens when I go to bed. I started slipping a small pillow under my right thigh and knee at bedtime. It only hurts for about 30 min and then I can actually sleep. Again, I thank everyone here for their thoughts and prayers. I'm glad I have you all to share my thoughts with.

Autumn Sunrise, Toyota vehicles are pretty nice. Your smartphone should be able to sync to your Bluetooth, depending on the age of your smartphone. I know in California, by law, you must be hands free on your cell phone. Have fun with it.

Finding Myself, in the States, I have Directv, which allows me to record 5 shows at once. It's so convenient and I don't have to be tied to the TV. I can fast forward thru comercials and other things I don't like! :)

Daveb, I have all kinds of vacation time off! As a matter of fact, since retirement, I've been in permanent vacation mode, lol!!!

I know what it's like to spend the holidays alone, so if anyone here on this thread would like to exchange Christmas cards, I would be happy to do so! Just PM and let me know your name and address. I love sending out Christmas cards, I have no idea why? Either I'm way too happy or way to weird, lol! :D

Okay ya'll, have a slendid week!!

• Like 6

Wow. I've been busy vacationing (well, staycationing) this week and haven't had time to look back in. Lots of pages going on and catching up to do. :)

The joys of new car shopping- I'm glad you found a new car, Autumn Sunrise. I need to truck shop soon- I lost the truck in the divorce. She got the truck, I got the horse trailer, hay trailer, and RV and nothing to pull anything with. My little Toyota Matrix also won't get out of my driveway to get to work once it snows more than a few inches, so I need a 4WD. I despise vehicle shopping, plus I can't afford too much, having been cleaned out in the divorce. I can afford a monthly payment, but the down payment will be a problem. At least this month there are deals to be had.

• Like 4

Sounds good, Blondie (especially the retirement/vacation part). :) Also, way too weird and/or way too happy - either way, it's all good. :)

Mocha Jo, good luck to you on finding a 4WD vehicle that can tow your trailers as needed!

Wednesday and work went well! (how's that for alliteration? ha ha)

• Like 5

Oh crap. Another shooting. This one in Southern California. daveb, are you near the shooting area?

Hope anyone on this thread that is near there is OK.

Cathy

• Like 4

It is pretty close by. The city it's in is the one I would have to go to for jury duty if/when I have to serve.

I'm just waiting to hear more info, about who did it, why, etc. It's very disturbing. Although I am not personally affected and haven't heard if anyone I know or work with is.

• Like 4

So... I found out today what I thought might be true, very likely is. I don't have a clinical diagnosis yet, but after a good deal of research and some internet testing... I also have PTSD.

The Veteran's Affairs office in Wisconsin seems to be a lot better than the one in Texas, so I'm not as afraid to let them know as I used to be. I don't know when I'll be able to see someone about it, but I know I need to. I still get almost daily flashbacks and things on TV and in video games can be a bit triggering for me. My wife's triggers cause angry outbursts. Mine cause me to mentally shut down.

One day I might have something happy to share again... *sigh*

• Like 2

Spotastic, it's good that you have prospects of identifying your probable PTSD and of getting better care! I am very hopeful that you will have happy things to share again (may it be soon).

• Like 7

Okay I've been watching the news. The mass shooting in San Bernardino happened too close to my former home. I have a lot of friends working in government buildings out there and am glad they are okay. Two of the suspects were tracked to Redlands (where I used to live). A high speed pursuit went from Redlands back into the city of San Bernardino. Both the male and female suspects were killed in a shoot out with police. Daveb, I recommend you stay locked down at home until the police say otherwise.

Other than that business, there's nothing more to report. Thanks to those who wished to exchange Christmas cards. Anyone else wishing to do so, just PM me!!

• Like 5

I thought of you today, Daveb, as I saw updates. Another friend worked within just a couple of blocks from the shootout, but kept us updated via FB. I'm thankful that both of you are OK. Disturbing events indeed.

Spotty, I hope this diagnosis will allow both you and your wife to get the best treatment. I wish there were more I could do.

• Like 7

Hiya all. In the UK we're hearing that this shooting was a disaffected employee.

I wrote two tyres off in one pothole.

Mocha Jo happy truck hunting

• Like 4

Spotty- glad you finally got a diagnosis that can be worked with. PTSD is very difficult.

SleighCaptain- I have done that! I hate spending money on stuff like tires. Very unsatisfying.

(OK, I give up- how do you get the names to bold?)

• Like 7

When you want to bold, click on the B in the toolbar above, Mocha Jo.

*Just remember to click it again so you don't bold everything*

• Like 4

LOL- I can't believe I didn't notice that. Thank you.

• Like 6

Sleighcaptain, I think that's only part of the story. They had lots of weapons, ammunition, pipe bombs, "tactical gear", etc. It may have been that something set them off at the holiday party, which the man was at, and reportedly left angry, to return with his wife, and all the rest that happened. I guess there are still lots of questions to be answered, but at this point it kind of looks like they were planning something at some point and may have been set off (maybe prematurely?) out of anger.

The apartment they lived at was just around the corner from me, on the other side of the block. Helicopter activity just keeps going on and on (quite noisy right now). Otherwise I have been out of the line of sight of anything for the most part.

Spending my evening today doing some Christmas baking.

• Like 8

Greetings fellow Aven Peeps!

Daveb, glad your safe, sound and baking tonight!! Stay safe in Redlands!!

Sleighcaptain, sorry to hear about the flat tires, those darn potholes are annoying and expensive to say the least.

Spot, it's about time someone properly diagnosed you. Let's hope you can get the help both you and your wife deserve.

Well the Christmas tree and living room are all decorated. I think I might have some more of my pumpkin spice egg nog!

Well everyone enjoy the rest of your week! The weekend is almost upon us!! :)

• Like 7

Blondie, sounds like you're making things festive there! :)

Tonight's baking is done. Next step, putting together packages and shipping them off. Then probably another round of baking in a week or so.

Well, Friday is almost here, and then the weekend. :)

• Like 5

I wrote two tyres off in one pothole.

Ooh, I hate that! I can't tell you how often I've had to replace tires since I've been here. We have trees here called Kiawe, which are in the mesquite family, that have 1" thorns. It's just impossible to go anywhere and not pick them up in your shoes, and in your tires. But seriously, that must have been some pothole!

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

Dave, I'm glad to know you're safe - that sounds like a very disturbing situation! On a happier note: I love the way you bake Christmas gifts - are you having fun (and lots of tastes :P )?

Spot, it's good to know you have a diagnosis to work with. and hopefully you'll be able to get some helpful treatment now.

Sleighcaptain (love your "Christmas" name :D ), that must have been some pothole - what a pain having to replace two tyres at once :angry:

Blondie, you sound incredibly organised :D I haven't started decorating yet, but I'm getting my Christmas tree this weekend, so hopefully I'll have the tree up and decorated by Sunday night :)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

• Like 6

I like hearing about (and seeing) other people's Christmas decorations, but I just don't have the energy to decorate just for me. I've always been a bit "bah humbug" about Christmas. The expectations are so built up from the time you are a kid that things just don't live up to them! I liked Christmas a lot more when my kids were little.

• Like 8

Daveb glad all that kerfuffle is a block away, and not right on your doorstep

Blondie, your ahead of me, everything is still in the box and I doubt I'll start decorating until next weekend as I have a lot to do this week

It was a big pothole, but it was full of water so I didn't see how deep it was until I hit it.

• Like 7