anyone past 50 on here?

Autumn Sunrise, I'm with you on the name "Tobermory" (and other names of that ilk), and on itching to travel. :)

If we're lucky the high will be down to body temperature! :P

• Like 3

I got some good news - I won 4th place in the 3D Mosaic division at the Minnesota State Fair! The Fair started yesterday and runs through Labor Day. I don't have a photo of my entry, or I'd show it to you all, but it is a mosaic'd soap dispenser. Not one of my best, but I haven't made anything for a couple of years now, so scraped the bottom of the barrel. I'm going to have to make stuff again this year or I won't have a 2016 entry!

• Like 10

And tomorrow I'm off to a wedding, 4 hours away, with a friend. We are driving and coming back the same day. With a noon wedding and a 5:00 PM dinner, it will be a long day! We're taking 5 dogs with us, and my border collie is staying behind at my sisters because there wasn't room for him too.

• Like 7

Gonna meet Cathy tomorrow for a stroll. I have new walking shoes, too. Maybe I'd better take my old shoes with me, just in case. I'm a bit apprehensive since I'm so out of shape but Cathy has assured me she will go at whatever pace is comfortable for me. Hope she doesn't regret her offer!

• Like 6

Gonna meet Cathy tomorrow for a stroll. I have new walking shoes, too. Maybe I'd better take my old shoes with me, just in case. I'm a bit apprehensive since I'm so out of shape but Cathy has assured me she will go at whatever pace is comfortable for me. Hope she doesn't regret her offer!

Having had great walks with Cathy, I can testify that she will go at your pace (she did for me with my bad back at the time) and makes a most enjoyable strolling companion. :D

• Like 5

I seriously doubt I will regret my offer Phiffenella! Although Cayce can confirm that I may leave you to rest while I go find a geocache! There look to be about 3 geocaches near where we are going!

OK, now I really should head to bed as I need to get up early to drive to meet Phiffenella!

Cathy

• Like 6

Picture of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull with its iconic brightly painted houses. Just back from a holiday there.

Hope things work out for everyone.

I got all excited when I saw Tobermory but then realized it wasn't Tobermory, Ontario, Canada. Both Tobermory's are beautiful! I spent many summers as a child visiting Tobermory, Canada near our family cottage at Dyers Bay, Ontario, Canada!

• Like 5

Back from my walk with Cathy. Happily she was most agreeable and let me rest whenever I needed to. I am hugely out of shape but enjoyed our outing and am determined to get back in shape. We went a total of 2 miles with a 3 hour rest in the middle at the Aquarium. And I'm exhausted! I vow to start walking again, beginning with a half mile and gradually increasing my distance. Ten years ago I completed my second half marathon and now I can hardly go 2 miles. :( But I really enjoyed meeting Cathy and hope we can do it again sometime. Y'all have permission to nag me to put on my walking shoes and get fit again!

• Like 8

Phiffenella, nag, nag. But on a more serious note a daily half mile just round the block will soon reap benefits.

• Like 6

It was a lovely day at Pacific Grove and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Thanks to Phiffinella for treating me to lunch at the Aquarium The food was excellent but the view was unparalleled!! We got to sit and watch the sea kayakers, Cormorants, other boats, and the deep blue sea as we sat and had our lunch. Here are pictures from our day. I didn't get any pictures of us probably because I'm just not a keen people photographer!

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/105234689104952250166/Pacific_Grove_Monterey_8_29_15?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP_Ey7iQwamCWw&feat=directlink

I tried to take pictures of waves crashing on the rock but every time I took my camera out to do it the waves would calm down and there would be no great spray to photo! We were both amazed to see a man swimming without a wet suit in the bay as we walked back to our cars!

Cathy

• Like 6

I'm being taken over by tomatoes and since my basil is also threatening world domination I've decided to learn how to make home made pizza. How I've gotten this old without having this skill already I'm not sure.

I'm cheating with Trader Joe's pre-made dough but I went and got a pizza stone and with some good olive oil, mozzarella balls, garden goodies and garlic it can't be too hard. Can it? :unsure:

• Like 5
Finding myself

Miss Terry, what a beautiful photo of Tobermoray. I visited there about 20 years ago. :D Did you actually stay on Mull?

Sorry things have been so extremely stressful and upsetting Deja Vu.

Mickey, sorry life is so tough. Hope that you can quickly get the move you are wanting and that life becomes easier.

Great that Cathy and Phiffinella got to meet up. Wishing you, Cathy, a good holiday.

At the moment, I have (what was) my parents' home up for sale. Just instructed a solicitor, so now have quite a few questionnaires to fill in, which involves much sifting through paperwork to fine the answers that I need.

Today was a Bank i.e. public Holiday here.

Saw a couple of pieces of David Bomberg's art on Saturday in a gallery near Norwich. Really really liked them. One was called 'Study for 'Ju Jitsu' '.

• Like 5
Finding myself

Cayce, hope the pizza turned out well. Fresh home grown tomatoes and basil some great.

ucanrel8, welcome, please have some :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 4

Gorgeous photos, Cathy!...as usual ;)

You get your pizza on, Cayce!

Welcome, ucanrel8! :cake: :cake: :cake:

Hang in there, Phiffenella! You'll be in good shape, for walking, in no time.

Skycaptain, stop nagging Phiff! :P

Lovely to see you, Finding myself! Good luck with all those questions! *The artwork...very Chagall, yes?* **nice**

• Like 4

Welcome, ucanrel8! Have some more :cake: (it's calorie-free so no worries about over-indulging)

Oh, I have been a bit north of Tobermory - a brief day visit to Kyle of Lochalsh while I was staying in Inverness several years ago.

Today was a migraine day so I left work at lunchtime (after having bee there over 7 hours anyway). The migraine is lingering. Hopefully will be gone after a good night's sleep. Also, with September nearly here it means we're getting that much closer to moving back into offices which will help (I'll be able to shut out sounds and smells and other distractions, and dim the lights when needed) - We will finally be in the same calendar month as the move! :)

Ha! Bank holidays here just mean the banks are closed, but the rest of us still have to work! :P

• Like 4

Hi, I am really understanding that this is the final 10-20 years or whatever. All my sibling have died before my age now. I am like Don't let me die before I can have a decent platonic relationship! Really?

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, ucanrel8 :cake::cake::cake: Hope you enjoy this thread :)

Kalyke, 10-20 years is still plenty of time to enjoy friendships and good experiences. Is there something you've always wanted to do? Maybe now is the time :)

Dave, I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Hang in there - not long to go now until you get your civilised working conditions back :D

Cayce, when you mentioned home-grown tomatoes my mouth began to water :P I hope the pizza turned out well.

Finding myself, good luck with the house sale - I hope it goes smoothly, and quickly :)

Mickey, I hope your plans are working out the way you want!

Have a good week, everyone!

• Like 4

daveb, I've never understood, or thankfully ever had to work in, one of these open concept work environments. (It sounds like what you have at the moment) I understand the talking points about collaboration, teamwork, blah, blah...But the reality would seem to be just making the possibility of concentration and real productivity virtually impossible. :blink: I'm glad you will soon get back to some semblance of your former space. I hope this was just a one off event this year and not a reoccurring nightmare!

Finding myself, it seems one of the byproducts of being in the over fifty group is dealing with mortality in the family. I talk to the trustee tomorrow about the marketing date for my folks former house. There are three of us in here now. :(

On a brighter note, my home made pizza was fantastic! Now I just have to figure out what would be good for chard, there's a huge amount of that too. Even though I didn't really get to put much thought or tending into the garden this year, I'm sure finding out what grows like crazy when it's ignored. With luck I'll be able to use it as reference for what to plant (or plant less of) next year. :lol:

• Like 5

daveb hope that migraine clears quickly

Ucanrel8 welcome and have our traditional cake 🎂

Kalyke also welcome and here's a cake 🎂 to help you find the right person

Cayce homemade pizza 🍕 is much better than ready made ones, nomnom

• Like 6

@Finding myself Yes, I stayed on the Isle of Mull, literally off the beaten track, and it was a fantastic battery recharger. We went to Iona on a windy but sunny day, and walked down to a white sand beach where the sky was blue, and sanderlings were running along the shoreline, while flocks of twites fluttered about and gannets dived into the sea. No mobile phone signal, no Wifi, just peace. :)

WP_20150823_14_09_25_Pro%201_zps9hqynefm

• Like 8

I'm posting here so I'm publicly committed...I'm joining the city Sports Center on my way home from work today!

• Like 7

theburgess, welcome to AVEN, and have our traditional :cake::cake::cake: welcome. Rest assured that here is a whole community of like-minded people, join in, have fun and find friends

• Like 5

So this week is a pretty busy one for me...

Today we had to renew our car insurance (the price went up because of the accident that wasn't really our fault because the other people made a claim, grrr), and we had to get our groceries for the next couple weeks. Tomorrow I'll have to call someone at the VA because I'm STILL getting medical bills from the same place even though I've told these same people where to send them to. I need to find out what's going on there... Thursday is my wife's birthday, so we'll be going out for lunch with her mom (and possibly other family, but we don't know who can show up just yet) and then we'll be hanging out at their house for the rest of the day. And Friday we need to go to the courthouse to pay off my wife's ticket from the accident that's now raised our insurance...

Fun times. :unsure:

• Like 5
Cayce, studies have shown as much as a 50% reduction in productivity in some open concept work environments, maybe even more. But in our case it was done because there simply wasn't enough office space available while they remodeled our old offices. They did the remodeling in stages. Ours were the last offices to be done. I do believe it's a one time thing. It hadn't happened before in my previous 15 plus years there. And I don't expect to be there another 15! :P

The homemade pizza sounds awesome.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Finding myself, Autumn Sunrise, and Skycaptain! I took night-time aspirin and went to bed. Migraine was gone by the time I woke up this morning. Also, today was a bit cooler than it has been - not sure it it even got past 90F.

Good for you, Phiff! I hope you can have fun in the process.

Welcome, theburgess! Have some more :cake:

Spotastic, so sorry to hear about your hassles with car insurance, medical bills and other joys of bureaucracy. I hope you have a pleasant lunch and a happy birthday (as much as possible) for your wife!

I'm looking forward to the nice long Labor Day weekend coming up here! :)

• Like 6

I have to work Saturday and Sunday, at Universal. Not much of a holiday weekend. :P *The free day pass I'll use on Monday kind of makes up for it*

**I have a 3 hour drive to the next hotel in the afternoon/evening, so, no beer :evil:**

• Like 3

Spotastic, sorry you're having to deal with bureaucracy, I hope it's quick and relatively painless.

Yeah to Phiffenella for accountability!

Tja, I haven't been able to have a beer for four years due to medication interaction, just my luck to have moved to a place that is crazy for microbrews. In the good news, bad news department, soon I will be able to imbibe in the local specialties, but the bad news is that right now I'm having to go through detox from the Rx to get to the other side. One week in, supposedly about three weeks left to go. That beer better be very good when I'm done. :( :)

daveb, I'm glad your migraine departed and that soon life will be more normal.

• Like 4