anyone past 50 on here?

Oh, I'm so sorry the hear that, Finding Myself! You've had so much loss already. I wish you the best and hope you have people you can rely on in these sorrowful times.

• Like 3

If the moderators don't mind would you please not merge this post with my previous one? I want to keep the condolences separate from the joy.

I had an awesome day today! Blondie and I met up. It turns out we live quite close to each for now. So we met up this morning and got coffee/hot chocolate and pastries, and then talked, for nearly 5 hours! Blondie is as friendly and upbeat in person as she is around here. Wonderfully easy to talk to. Like meeting an old friend for the first time. Even after that length of time I was reluctant to say goodbye. It's a nice cool cloudy day, too. :D

• Like 6

If the moderators don't mind would you please not merge this post with my previous one? I want to keep the condolences separate from the joy.

I had an awesome day today! Blondie and I met up. It turns out we live quite close to each for now. So we met up this morning and got coffee/hot chocolate and pastries, and then talked, for nearly 5 hours! Blondie is as friendly and upbeat in person as she is around here. Wonderfully easy to talk to. Like meeting an old friend for the first time. Even after that length of time I was reluctant to say goodbye. It's a nice cool cloudy day, too. :D

That's great, daveb! Glad you and Blondie had such a nice time!

• Like 4

Hey Daveb, it was sure great to finally meet you in person! You are so easy to talk too, and yes, it seemed like we were old friends. It may because we get along so well online. We talked for a long time, but the time really flew by, before we knew it, it was early afternoon. It was nice to be able to chat with someone without having to feel guarded. Daveb, with your personality, I think you would make a great travel buddy to anyone lucky enough to travel with you. The weather was wonderful too, what a great day. *cake*
  • Like 5

What a nice thing to say, Blondie! But I can get cranky with the stress of travel. :)

We talked a little about Tja (and how to pronounce your name and your LOTR ring and such). All good, of course! :D

• Like 5

Someone who supported me enormously over a five year period, died suddenly last Sunday. I am really struggling to handle this loss. I think my re-action is partly because it is ramming home the loss of my parents. My parents knew this wonderful person too, and I don't have them to talk to about her.

I'm so sorry, we are all here for you at Aven....

• Like 6

What a nice thing to say, Blondie! But I can get cranky with the stress of travel. :)

We talked a little about Tja (and how to pronounce your name and your LOTR ring and such). All good, of course! :D

Daveb, that's an easy fix, just give you some chocolate.....:)
  • Like 5

I'm a topic of conversation! :o *I'm overwhelmed with the warm fuzzies :D* **glad I was able to join you (in spirit) ;)**

• Like 5

Someone who supported me enormously over a five year period, died suddenly last Sunday. I am really struggling to handle this loss. I think my re-action is partly because it is ramming home the loss of my parents. My parents knew this wonderful person too, and I don't have them to talk to about her.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I'm a topic of conversation! :o *I'm overwhelmed with the warm fuzzies :D* **glad I was able to join you (in spirit) ;)**

OK I'll bite. How DO you pronounce your name? And what is a LOTR ring?

• Like 3

Hey Daveb, it was sure great to finally meet you in person! You are so easy to talk too, and yes, it seemed like we were old friends. It may because we get along so well online. We talked for a long time, but the time really flew by, before we knew it, it was early afternoon. It was nice to be able to chat with someone without having to feel guarded. Daveb, with your personality, I think you would make a great travel buddy to anyone lucky enough to travel with you. The weather was wonderful too, what a great day. *cake*

I think Cathy and I can relate to this! We've met a couple of times, both when she was traveling through Minnesota. We had a very similar experience. It's interesting because we didn't start with any particular shared hobby or topic (other than AVEN - and we didn't even focus much on that!)

I guess kindred souls recognize each other.

I'm glad you two met and had such a good experience. I wish we could all meet somehow, but I know we're scattered all over the globe. Travel may or may not be in the cards for some of us.

• Like 4

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

LOTRO stands for Lord Of The Rings. However, I don't know how to pronounce Tja's name.

Sorry, don't know what happened to my response, Deja Vu. LOTRO stands for Lord of The Rings, but I don't know to pronounce Tja's name.

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Tee jay?? (I think!)

Finding myself, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know it will take time, but I hope the beautiful memories of your friend will eventually replace your feelings of loss. In the meantime, *hugs* from me.

It's wonderful that some of you are managing to meet up and cement your friendships this way. I'm feeling little jealous - Australia is such a long way from most of my AVEN friends *sigh*

• Like 4

1_zpsws6u3sym.jpg

Sorry, don't know what happened to my response, Deja Vu. LOTRO stands for Lord of The Rings, but I don't know to pronounce Tja's name.

Tee jay?? (I think!)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0gvswKVH4MB

• Like 4
Finding myself

Thanks to you ALL for the supportive messages. They and you are greatly appreciated by me.

I know that a number of friends here, know what it is like to have lost parents. The loss of my parents has been re-inforced by the loss of this amazing friend last weekend. My parents were the people that I shared things with more than anyone else; my Mother was also my best friend. Many tears have been shed this week.

Once again thanks to you all.

• Like 6
Finding myself

Now Blondie12 and daveb : Lovely that you have met up and that you had such a great time. As I am writing this, I have a huge smile on my face, at the thought of your meeting.

Tja : hey, I am loving your voice.

It would be great for us to all meet up, or even some of us. I would love to meet you all. If only we were not SOOO far apart.

• Like 5

Stay strong, Finding myself! Come here whenever you need us. :)

I would love to come to London, again! Maybe at the end of the year. A meetup would be lovely.

• Like 4

I am hoping/planning to go to Europe next year and would love to meet up Finding myself and other European AVENites where possible. I would also like to visit Australia and New Zealand some day. Maybe an Australia meetup could happen? I wouldn't rule it out. Meetups like these were another topic of conversation that came up in our (Blondie and I) chat. I would say the chances of all of us or even a large number meeting together in the same place and time is pretty much nil. But I also think the chances of most of us meeting others of us at various times and places is much better. Some meetings have already happened, and I hope those are just the start. I would like to make meetups a part of my travel goals where possible; especially if I'm going to be near any of you anyway.

Ah, Tja - love the ring. Cool to hear how you pronounce your user name. And your voice postings always sound so friendly and open.

Today, I'm enjoying a lazy Sunday at home, with cool cloudy weather continuing and tomorrow is a holiday! :D

• Like 6

Happy Sunday to all!!!

TJa, ahhh now I can pronounce your name correctly. You have a nice deep voice, one that narrate exciting stories!

Finding Myself, Daveb has a great idea in that when one is traveling, a mmetup could be set for those living in that area and the traveler. I plan on traveling once I move. It sure would be a great way to meet and connect with fellow Aces, plus maybe get a tour guide for that particular area. And since we all have such a strong connection on this 50 and over thread, I think a meetup would make this thread even stronger.

I'm enjoying possibly the last bit of gray May, as it's supposed to get up into the upper 80s this week. I think I'll go for a walk and do a lower body workout.

I hope everyone continues to enjoy this Memorial Holiday Weekend. 50s thread friends, you all rock!!!! :)

• Like 5

Hello I'm 59 and new to this , hopefully I can learn more about myself here and maybe even meet some new friends .

• Like 7

Welcome, Debisme! Have some :cake:
This site and this thread are great places to learn about yourself and meet new friends! :)

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, Debisme :cake::cake::cake: I hope you enjoy being on AVEN, and this thread in particular - as you can see, we're a pretty friendly and supportive bunch :)

• Like 4

Today I'm really appreciating the welcoming and accepting nature of this list. In the rest of my life this weekend, it is not so. Deeply held secret (from most people) - I'm a wuss, and do NOT have a thick skin for some stuff. Feeling crummy about myself right now. Seems like everything I'm doing this weekend is illustrating how much ground I've lost in the last 10 years, and am in the midst of judgmental people who are self-absorbed and have no compassion. Here I sit past 1:00 AM, have to get up at 5:30 and am still fighting back tears from yesterday. But in a few (sleep-deprived) hours, I'll do what I always do - show up in my skin and pretend all is well.

Thanks for listening.

Hi everybody, a quick swing through to see lots going on.

I'm enjoying the talk of meetups - Finding Myself, I'm in London, so if you wanted to talk to somebody, let me know and we can maybe meet up. I lost my mum a couple of years back, so understand it can be hard to deal with that kind of loss.

A LOTR ring could just be called 'The Precious', I think ;-) No more enlightening than the initials, but funny if you watch The Big Bang Theory.

Welcome and :cake: to Debisme.

I'll be starting a new job in around a month - it's a weird thing, in that I'm not exactly clear why I'm leaving my present job. It'll be one of those praxis things, where I'll do it and work out why afterwards. There's a nice pay rise in it, though.

If you're in a part of the world having a long weekend, enjoy what's left of it :)

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

Today I'm really appreciating the welcoming and accepting nature of this list. In the rest of my life this weekend, it is not so. Deeply held secret (from most people) - I'm a wuss, and do NOT have a thick skin for some stuff. Feeling crummy about myself right now. Seems like everything I'm doing this weekend is illustrating how much ground I've lost in the last 10 years, and am in the midst of judgmental people who are self-absorbed and have no compassion. Here I sit past 1:00 AM, have to get up at 5:30 and am still fighting back tears from yesterday. But in a few (sleep-deprived) hours, I'll do what I always do - show up in my skin and pretend all is well.

Thanks for listening.

Deja Vu, you are not a wuss - just a sensitive person who is having to deal with some insensitive people. Don't let them make you feel bad about yourself! I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so low at the moment. Things will get better, although I know it's hard to believe when you're feeling upset. In the meantime, remember that you're among friends here :) I hope tomorrow will be better for you.

*hugs*

• Like 5
DigitalBookDust

I'm belated on this but so sorry for your loss. When something like this reverberates, it makes it doubly hard. Miss P and I send our best.

• Like 3
DigitalBookDust

Thank you, everyone, for the well-wishes for Miss P! Here is an update: She appears to be back to her normal healthy happy self, baruch haShem! I've got her on a natural supplement (VetriScience's Bladder Strength For Dogs) and make sure to take her out right before bedtime. So far she hadn't wet the bed any, keyn ahora. The vet said there's a new low-dose estrogen out if we have to use pharmaceuticals. But I'm really hoping to avoid that.

• Like 4

Thanks for listening.

tumblr_lpnebrv6Mw1qi7dm0_zpstcnikvwu.gif

• Like 5

Autumn Sunrise put it very well, Deja Vu! We live in a society that tends to make sensitivity seem like a negative thing, when it really isn't. There have been some books and research on Highly Sensitive People and I want to get one or more of the books to learn more about it (the first book about HSP I heard of is The Highly Sensitive Person, by Dr. Elaine Aron). Some of that stuff came up in Susan Cain's book, Quiet. hugs and :cake:

That's good news about Miss P, tea/ndrogyne! I hope she continues to do well!

Aw, last day of my vacation/holiday. At least it's still cool and cloudy here. I think I will go for a walk in a little while and then relax at home the rest of the day (and try not to think about tomorrow for once). :)

• Like 5