anyone past 50 on here?

Skycaptain

£11 an hour!! I'm in the wrong line of employment :(

• Like 3

I have no clue what that relates to in US dollars (I mean, I could look up the exchange rate, but what about buying power?).

Happy Star Wars day! May the fourth be with you. :)

I talked to my immediate boss today and told him how stressed I was over the move (I only managed about 4 hours of sleep last night). He's a good guy and a good boss. He listened and promised to try to get more information about the specifics (he hasn't been involved in the planning or anything and doesn't know any more than we do; the planning is being done by people above him or outside of our group). He also said he would work to see what can be done to make the space less stressful, and said he would support me in working from home as much as I want. There are things I need to be at work to do, and meetings I should attend, but there are things I could probably do from home, too. So I will take him up on that and see how much I can do from home. Having to go in for meetings isn't a problem since I live so close to work. So there are some rays of hope, even though it won't all be rainbows and unicorns. :)

• Like 7

Promise is the key word. I know he will do his best! :)

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

I'm glad to hear that things are looking a bit more promising, Dave - now let's hope he's able to deliver :) In the meantime, perhaps you can feel a little less apprehensive now :)

(I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you - having a bit of trouble walking in a straight line :lol: )

• Like 5

:lol:

We did get some answers today. And they said we can arrange the tables however we want (within the limits of the space and the floor outlets for electricity and the network). At least I have some options and support. I've also been talking to other people in this group. We may end up being less productive, but hopefully we can make it pleasant for each other. I was thinking I would do things like bring in donuts for the group some day, and maybe make my easy fudge another time. We can be mutually supportive. I think most (hopefully all) of those in this group are generally quiet, at the very least intelligent and thoughtful, and we're in it together.

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

Positive thinking, Dave - I like it :) Sounds like you guys could be doing a lot of morning teas to brighten up your days :D It also sounds as though you might be "in it together" with some quiet, pleasant people, which should make the situation a bit easier to deal with. I'm glad to hear that things are looking a little more hopeful for you!

• Like 3
blondie12

Well I had a good time last night. The birthday party went well. It was at a nice Italian restaraunt, and boy do I love Italian food. Speaking of food, Daveb, I would love to be in your group when you bring the easy fudge, yum yum! Anyway, I sure hope everyone has had a pleasant Tuesday. Well Wednesday is almost upon us... Take care everyone and I hope everyone gets a good night sleep.

• Like 4

Italian food is one of the kinds of food I really do like. mmm

Here's the recipe for the fudge:

Melt a 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips in a pan on the oven, with the heat set as low as you can set it

add in a can of sweetened condensed milk (I use the low fat version; the fudge tastes just as good)

also add in a square of baker's chocolate (I cut it up with a sharp knife so it melts quicker)

also add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract

keep stirring while it all melts together so it doesn't burn

The idea is to melt it, not cook it.

Once it's all melted and mixed together pour it into some sort of pan (I like to use a small nonstick frying pan lined with aluminum foil. makes it easy to take the fudge out once it hardens, and leaves the pan nice and clean). Put the pan in the refrigerator and let the fudge cool and harden. Once it's cool take it out and cut it into small pieces and serve.

(while you're waiting for the fudge to cool lick the pan and the spoon that you used to melt/mix it in)

I'm looking forward to this work week finishing up! :D

• Like 7
blondie12

Thank you for the recipe, Daveb! So how long does it generally take to melt the chocolate? The best part is licking the pan and spoon! Let's hope for this week to move into overdrive!!

• Like 1

Not long to melt - maybe a few minutes? (my recipes don't tend to be very exact) :)

• Like 2
Autumn Sunrise

The recipe sounds great, Dave - I can't wait to try it (have to buy some condensed milk first - I don't usually keep it in the pantry because I know I'll eat it if it's there :lol: ) One question: what is baker's chocolate - and how large would the square be? (I guess that's 2 questions :D )

Thanks!

• Like 1
Skycaptain

Baker's chocolate is what we in Britain call cooking chocolate. Usually found in the home baking section, not the confectionery section. It comes as a slab with break off squares the same as a big regular chocolate bar.

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Thanks, Sky :) - we call it cooking chocolate too. I thought it might be that, but I hadn't heard the term "baker's chocolate" before :D

• Like 2

Thank you, Skycaptain! I didn't know there was a different term for it outside the US, so I wouldn't've been able to answer Autumn Sunrise's question. :)

(I have also used other kinds of solid chocolate bars in place of the baker's chocolate - like when I had acquired some dark chocolate that turned out to be a little too bitter to eat on its own)

We might actually get some rain Thursday night or Friday! :)

• Like 5
blondie12

Thanks for the recipe and for the time given to make easy fudge! Chocolate, especially dark chocolate is a favorite of mine! Can't wait to try and make some!

Well hump day is almost over! I had my blood pressure checked while at the doctor, today and the doctor told me my blood pressure is that of a 21 year old. That certainly good news for me, I guess my workouts are finally paying off!

Have a great night everyone! :)

• Like 6

I'm 53 (just turned) and new to the forum in general. My daughter is also asexual - and I think I "as an older married person" have it much easier than she. I think she wants a relationship "like her parents have" but she really has difficulty because everyone she meets is sexual (many gay although some straight as well).

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, RobinP :cake::cake::cake: I can relate to your situation, because I also have a daughter who is asexual - in fact, I learned about asexuality from her :lol: Although I'm no longer married, I agree with you - my situation is simpler than hers! Anyway, we provide a good support system for each other.

• Like 8

Welcome, RobinP :cake::cake::cake: I can relate to your situation, because I also have a daughter who is asexual - in fact, I learned about asexuality from her :lol: Although I'm no longer married, I agree with you - my situation is simpler than hers! Anyway, we provide a good support system for each other.

Nice to meet you Autumn. I also learned of asexuality from my daughter...prior to her I figured there was "something wrong with me." Like maybe I needed some hormone injections or had a pressed bad sexual experience that I just didn't remember. It never occurred to me that being "not interested" was just as natural as being homosexual or hetrosexual.

• Like 7
catsaregood

Nice to meet you Autumn. I also learned of asexuality from my daughter...prior to her I figured there was "something wrong with me." Like maybe I needed some hormone injections or had a pressed bad sexual experience that I just didn't remember. It never occurred to me that being "not interested" was just as natural as being homosexual or hetrosexual.

*sigh* See, we younger folk have a use after all, if only to edu-ma-cate our parents! :D But seriously, yep, I'm lucky to have mum - we can thrash out our questions and definitions over our morning cups of tea! Plus she's got much more time to read thigs on AVEN, so I get a sort-of executive summary of the latest threads each evening! :)

Welcome to AVEN, RobinP - I'm so glad you've found your way here, and I hope that AVEN helps you works through the many inevitable questions and "a-ha" moments that arise as we explore our new-found identity-descriptors :) :cake::cake::cake:

@ daveb - thank you for the recipe! I shall make Sunrise make it at the first opportunity :D I'm glad things seem to be looking a little more positive at work. I hope the time passes quickly and not too painfully :cake::cake::cake:

• Like 6

:lol:

We did get some answers today. And they said we can arrange the tables however we want (within the limits of the space and the floor outlets for electricity and the network). At least I have some options and support. I've also been talking to other people in this group. We may end up being less productive, but hopefully we can make it pleasant for each other. I was thinking I would do things like bring in donuts for the group some day, and maybe make my easy fudge another time. We can be mutually supportive. I think most (hopefully all) of those in this group are generally quiet, at the very least intelligent and thoughtful, and we're in it together.

Sounds promising Dave - some flexibility in space and working arrangements from the bosses's side is encouraging. Fingers crossed...

• Like 4

Hi RobinP and welcome. That's the upside and downside of being A and our sort of age. When we were younger, it wasn't a 'thing', but we're all under no pressure now. I've been gradually coming out to friends, but I bet it would be quite tough if I was 25 years younger... :ph34r:

• Like 5

Funny, I have wondered about my own parents (and from stories I heard, my maternal grandmother as well. Of course they grew up in an era where sexuality was not discussed in "polite" company and they may have just done a good job of hiding things. But I never saw any hint of anything sexual from either parent, much less in interactions between them. They had separate bedrooms for a long time, but I was out of the house before that happened so I don't know how it came about.

Dave, I think calling out the elephant in the room was a major step. It's out there now for everyone to be aware of. Maybe that will give you some leverage.

• Like 3
Skycaptain

There are times when I wish I had had ace parents. When their marriage was breaking up my mother tried to redirect his affections back to her by being, for want of a better phrase "more available". One day, mid afternoon there was a phone call for one of them. The bedsprings were creaking ( I was 14 at the time) and I just went straight into the bedroom and said there was a phone call. I had never associated the creaking of bed springs with sex, I just thought someone was having difficulty getting to sleep

• Like 3

Welcome, RobinP! Have some :cake:

It's cool that the younger people can help out their parents like that! After all, a little "edumacation" and visibility is part of the reason for AVEN. :)

After I "came out" to my mother she mentioned being asexual herself at first, but more recently she described herself as "nonsexual". She's the kind of person who probably educated herself after I told her, so I think she has evolved her understanding of the concepts. In any case, she's very open-minded.

Cats and Autumn Sunrise, enjoy the fudge! :) (nudge, nudge) And Blondie, too.

Thanks, Deja Vu! Speaking out was a good feeling (and doing so without causing any hard feelings), and then getting some good results out of it helped a lot. It looks like pretty much all of the supervisors and management realize this is stressful for us and want to do what they can to make it easier to deal with. So it's helpful to know that they do care.

Well, I finished packing up my office stuff today and shut down all the computers and everything. Also moved my new table slightly so now my back will be protected by a wall. Tomorrow I will work from home for a while and then my vacation starts. Next time I go to work it will be in the new space. Today ended on a good note, as they had cake (homemade, not grocery store bakery drek) for one person who is moving on to a new position in a different department. So, cake, and then vacation, works for me. :D

It was wet outside this morning, either drizzle or light rain I think because it was still dry under trees. Could rain more tonight or tomorrow, too. :D

• Like 7

Doing a little leap frogging over conversations (meaning I haven't read the most recent posts) here as I had a particularly busy week at work and didn't spend as much time on the internet as I usually do. I got assigned work on Monday that kept me super busy all week along. The week ended today though as its my Friday off week. Woo Hoo!

I found out at work today that the position I want to transfer to is what they call "frozen". The guy who was recruiting for the position was told to stop for now. He told me to inquire again in September. I don't really like this waiting game so I'm trying to have a state of mind of enjoying where I am now and not thinking about the future in terms of getting this new position. I was never unhappy with my current position to begin with so its not difficult.

Tomorrow I'm off to SF again to have dinner with my brother's family and with my favorite cousin, Leslie. During the day I plan to just putter around at home and do some errands. My old TV broke and I discovered there is a TV repair store just around the block from me so I might take my old TV there and see if they can fix it for under $100.00. If so, I'll get it repaired.

Saturday I have a hike with my hiking club, Gay and Lesbian Sierrans at Sunol Regional Park. Sunday is undetermined at this point. My usual hiking buddy, bykenut is not available for the next week or so as she races around California watching the tour of California bike race. So if I hike on Sunday I have to go solo or find a group to hike with. I need a second hiking buddy for when bykenut is not available. I always keep my eye out for one when I go on group hikes but no one as good as bykenut has come along yet.

Cathy

p.s. we got a little rain today here in Northern California. Hurray!

• Like 6

Lots of rain here lately, and we sure need it. I wish it hadn't come in the form of a violent hail storm while I was driving on the freeway (that was Sunday). It was scary with zero visibility and ice all over the road - but it all worked out OK. No damage to my car, thankfully.

More rain today - waited until I was heading to the airport to pick up our weekend's agility trial judge. Her flight was 4-1/2 hours late! So it was dark and raining hard by the time I picked her up.

This is kind of a big deal for me - little known fact is that I was broadsided in a downpour with zero visibility about 30 years ago. That's where I got my broken hip along with fear of driving in the rain. I've mostly gotten over it - I no longer feel like throwing up. But I don't like it, and am tense the whole time.

• Like 5

It's definitely understandable that you wouldn't like driving in the rain after that, Deja Vu! Even so many years later. Sounds pretty traumatic. But you've made good progress.

Another thing one of the supervisors told some of us today - that if occasionally we find we need a little peace and quiet alone it's okay for us to find an office that the person isn't currently sitting in and take a laptop there to do some work. And same thing if people need to use the phone and want some privacy and/or want to not bother others in our open space. Even people I thought were fussy, rigid, controlling and/or not very sympathetic have apparently been open to our supervisors' suggestions and all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - this company has a lot of good people working for it. Some of us can be argumentative or cranky, but when "push comes to shove", as it were, they step up and rise to the challenge.

• Like 5

I was 'rear-ended' about 30 years ago and still get nervous if I think someone is going too fast when I'm stationary at traffic lights. I was sitting in a traffic jam and this guy just ran into me. His 'excuse' was that I stopped! I pointed out that there were some fifty or so cars stopped in front of me!!! Some things just stay with you deja-vu

• Like 7
Skycaptain

Tanwen, when I got hit last November the other driver's excuse was that they were "Too frightened to hit the brake pedal" :o

• Like 4