anyone past 50 on here?

On the Meet-Up section, this thread I have suggested a date and possible activity. Since I have done that no one has shown any interest in such a meet. I know my posts were not THAT long ago. But I am still starting to wonder if I have done something wrong; like put people off. :unsure:

*sneaks into the cool 50s thread*

I have trouble getting people to commit to dates in our meet-ups, especially if the date is a little bit in the future. Plus so many of us are introverts, we seem to not want to take a strong stand on meeting! I think we're all so busy we tend to put things aside for later working out...I think Ithaca really wants it to go ahead, and there's been a bit of interest, so I'm sure it will :)

@ all of you who have done your tax - like, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm doing mine at the moment, and your tales of finished returns has spurred me on! I've got a couple pending :redface: so I gotta get 'em done asap! Time to get to work again, methinks...

*sneaks out of cool 50s thread, and gets onto tax work again*

• Like 5

On the Meet-Up section, this thread I have suggested a date and possible activity. Since I have done that no one has shown any interest in such a meet. I know my posts were not THAT long ago. But I am still starting to wonder if I have done something wrong; like put people off. :unsure:

No suggestions here on how to get folks to show up. In the SF bay area it took some time for the regular meetups to get going (maybe 1 to 2 years). Now they seem to be in better shape. Although I confess to not attending them much anymore for two reasons: (1) would rather be out hiking at 1 pm on a Sunday and (2) after attending them pretty regularly for 2 or 3 years, I never really connected strongly with anyone. It has been nice though having a few dedicated folks that run the meetups so I don't have to. I can just choose to attend or not.

• Like 4

Everyone acted excited about a meet, until I tried to set a date and time...then...nothing.

• Like 2
Finding myself

Thank you all loads daveb, Tja, cdrdash and catsaregood for your replies, I feel a bit better about the 'no response' occurrence now. :rolleyes:

Hi catsaregood, great to have you call by. I had a good read of the 40's thread earlier. Good luck with the tax returns.

• Like 4

I hope no one notices I snuck into this group a few days early. :unsure:

Wow, Artonaut. What a life story. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being "weird as ... hell" - it's - ahem - the new normal. :D

It would seem to me that meetups would be hard to coordinate on here. We are from all over the world. And I kind of like the anonymity of the internet ... for now.

• Like 4

Wow, Artonaut. What a life story. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being "weird as ... hell" - it's - ahem - the new normal. :D

It would seem to me that meetups would be hard to coordinate on here. We are from all over the world. And I kind of like the anonymity of the internet ... for now.

I don't think hardly anyone notices when someone younger than 50 sneaks in. As long as you seem to fit in, you're welcome. We don't have "age police" running around.

And welcome Tortitude have some :cake::cake::cake: and don't worry the cake is not over 50!

Cathy

• Like 6

Welcome, Tortitude! Have some :cake: (we can get you some more on your birthday)

• Like 5

Welcome, Dreama61! Have some :cake:

I have never been married. And only ever had one relationship (in my late 40s/early 50s). She was sexual; I didn't know I wasn't.

• Like 3

I am 53. Was married twice. My sexual preference has always been a problem. Would love to chat with others about their experiences.

Welcome Dreama61! I'm 53 too but not for too much longer (turn 54 on March 24) :)

Never married but I was domestic partners with my ex. Had to go through the legal equivalent of a divorce when we broke up. Thought I was straight till I hit 30, then thought I was lesbian till I hit 42ish, at which point I discovered AVEN and figured out homoromantic asexual was the description that fit me best.

• Like 5

Hey cdrdash! Thanks for responding so quickly. I just found this site this morning after watching a documentary about Asexuals. I am hetero romantic, but would still love to be your friend.stay in touch my friend. I'm a good listener.

• Like 3

It's only a couple of weeks since a group of London area-ish members had a meet-up - I was meant to go, but got caught up with work stuff. I don't know how those people identified, but that could be one factor.

• Like 1

Hey cdrdash! Thanks for responding so quickly. I just found this site this morning after watching a documentary about Asexuals. I am hetero romantic, but would still love to be your friend.stay in touch my friend. I'm a good listener.

You're welcome. I'm a bit of a prolific poster on this site and you caught me when I was making a post so I responded. I have been gone since 9:30 a.m. today and only just got back from my day hike and dinner out with a friend. Will soon post my hiking pictures which folks around here like. Keep tuning in here and you'll get to know me and we can grow a friendship perhaps.

BTW, if the documentary you watched was (A)sexual, you saw me. I made a brief appearance in the movie at the party at David Jay's house the day before the SF pride parade.

Cathy

• Like 2

Looks like I'm going to bed early tonight (well before 8PM). I have a migraine I just can't shake, and sometimes sleep is the only thing I can do.

Enjoyed exploring a brand new park today called Byrne-Milliron Forest. It just recently opened to the public. It has all sorts of fun little art on the trail signs and at the vista points. After the hike we stopped at a well known store for selling sausages at a little town called Corralitos. My buddy, Sharon, bought some sausage but I just wanted to see the store and passed on purchasing any.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/105234689104952250166/ByrneMillironForest_2_1_15?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNHyu7_Bo5uhFg&feat=directlink

Cathy

• Like 2

Looks like I'm going to bed early tonight (well before 8PM). I have a migraine I just can't shake, and sometimes sleep is the only thing I can do.

Sending healing vibes your way or at least fall asleep and pain goes away vibes.

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

@ daveb

Hi Dave, sorry to hear about your migraine - I know from experience how horrible that are :( I hope you manage to sleep through and wake up in the morning feeling a lot better.

• Like 3

Thank you both! I did get to sleep and woke up feeling much better. Still wish we'd get more rain here, rather than the warm sunny weather the other side of the continent wants.

• Like 4

daveb,

So right you are! Yesterday we got ten inches of snow and below zero temps with the high winds. Am ssssssoooooo ready for spring! I am glad you are feeling better.

• Like 3

I agree, daveb, SoCal needs the rain, but I can't argue with this weather! I got my windows open for fresh air! I hope to be retired in a few months and then, BAM! I'm outta here!!!!!

• Like 3

I don't like it when it's warm and sunny too much. And occasional warm sunny day is okay, but not too often and not too warm. I know I'm in the minority on those feelings. Get reminded of it all the time when everyone equates a warm sunny day with a nice day. A cold rainy day can be a nice day for me. :P

But now I'm feeling grouchy. I just got my mail, which included a bill from my dentist for hundreds of dollars. The last time I had work done was more than half a year ago at least. I had some work done on a wisdom tooth and let them do it the way they recommended. They went through some hassles with my dental plan about that, but I thought they eventually got it sorted out as I hadn't heard back in months. Now I receive this bill, due by the end of the month, with no explanation, descriptions or itemizations on it. Just says insurance covers x dollars of the grand total and that I owe a larger chunk. I'm going to have to call them tomorrow to find out what's going on, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to pay this unplanned bill. :( (just when I had been building up some savings for an international vacation next year) Ack, I just want to yell, like a primal scream.

Part of the issue is the hassle they went through with the dental carrier was because of how they wrote stuff up and documented it. Also, as often seems to be the case with things like this, they couldn't tell me beforehand whether things would be covered or by how much or anything. And then they sit on it for how long? It's so frustrating. There should be someone a patient can go to to sort this stuff out.

• Like 2

blondie, I envy your impending retirement. I hope to following in your footsteps in a few more years. I will be out of here (so. Cal.) when that time comes.

• Like 3

daveb, thank you! Yes, the time has come to close out this chapter of my life and open a brand new one. I've decided to work on my bucket list, which includes traveling. I will miss SoCal, but new adventures await! I have no doubt that in due time, you will retire and move away to start your new adventure. Fortunately, Aven will always be available, so that I can keep in touch with everyone.

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, chamane44 :cake::cake::cake: Hope you enjoy AVEN and find lots of new friends here :)

• Like 3

53 here...Just found these forums...finally I feel normal....

chamane 44, you've always been normal! It's the rest of the world that's odd! :P At least, that's this Asexuals opinion. :D :lol:

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

@ daveb Dave, I think I'd be changing my dentist after an experience like that - they really messed up! At the very least, you surely have a right to demand a properly itemised account, to say nothing of an explanation for why they sat on it for so long. *insert dave's primal scream here*

Good luck when you call them. Maybe if you make them feel guilty enough they might reduce the bill :)

• Like 4

I don't think hardly anyone notices when someone younger than 50 sneaks in. As long as you seem to fit in, you're welcome. We don't have "age police" running around.

And welcome Tortitude have some :cake::cake::cake: and don't worry the cake is not over 50!

Cathy

Welcome, Tortitude! Have some :cake: (we can get you some more on your birthday)

Welcome, Tortitude :cake::cake::cake: Hope you enjoy it here :)

Thanks!!! By the way, I'll be 50 tomorrow. I wasn't kidding about sneaking in only a few days early! ^_^

• Like 4