anyone past 50 on here?

Thanks. I don't have any of that handy and I don't feel like going out for some right now. I do have plenty of herbal tea, chicken soup, et al. :)

Thank you for the welcome. I am taking a class about Fitness and my paper is about what exercise uses what joints. At this point it is mostly complete.

I have had my flu shot so hope to stay healthy this winter. Since I work at a medical center the flu shot is required.

Get well soon daveb. Best wishes for a healthy winter to everyone.

• Like 3

15 minutes and I'm on my way to hike at Long Ridge Open Space Preserve. Hope the weather continues as is ... a bit on the cloudy side which keeps it nice and cool for hiking. Got my camera in my pocket so you will probably see pictures later today (if you so desire -- I really don't expect everyone to go check them out when I post the photo links ... just folks who enjoy them).

Cathy

• Like 1

On the subject of books about asexuality, I've recently been reading The Heart of Aces, which is a collection of short stories about asexual relationships. It really covers a broad variety of "types" of asexual and covers relationships with both other asexual partners and not. My wife has been reading it as well, and I think it's allowing her to get a better view of what it actually means to view relationships from the asexual perspective. Highly recommended.

• Like 3
Calligraphette_Coe

Life has been pretty busy of late - though when I sit down and wonder what I've actually achieved it seems 'not a lot'. Running around in ever decreasing circles is an apt description. I hope you're shaking off whatever was brewing, daveb.

I think I mentioned I'd received a letter from my doctor's surgery inviting me for a flu jab now I'm over 65...still haven't decided. If I get flu this year then maybe I'll get one next year :)

I wish I didn't frequently pass out when getting innoculated. I'm sooo tired of always getting the latest flu. I *might* be able to get the inhalant-type of flu vaccine this year, and I think might go for it.

*healing hugs to Tan and DaveB*

• Like 1

Are you able to get/take Sambucol dave? When I get a cold I also take echinacea but I know it isn't suitable for everyone. At the moment I'm relying on a daily Yakult to keep my bodily bugs topped up :)

I had never heard of Sambucol before. Maybe I will look into if I feel up to going out. As it is I'm still feeling really cruddy and extending my "vacation" from work. (unfortunately I already used up the small amount of sick leave we get earlier this year for dental appointments, "mental health" days, etc., so I'm having to use vacation time for this current illness)

OMG! What a crazy schedule the last few weeks.

Hopefully, back to normal, now.

Glad to be back, all you usual suspects! I'll rewind through the thread to catch up.

Welcome to all the new kids!

Don't want to be grumpy, so I'll just say I'm glad the last 2 weeks are over.

In Alabama this week, and (hopefully) making my way back into Florida to resume my normal schedule.

(Heard one of the techs was kicked off a property when he pissed off a client :lol: That'll teach my office to mess with my schedule!)

Be back soon!

• Like 4

Life has been pretty busy of late - though when I sit down and wonder what I've actually achieved it seems 'not a lot'. Running around in ever decreasing circles is an apt description. I hope you're shaking off whatever was brewing, daveb.

I think I mentioned I'd received a letter from my doctor's surgery inviting me for a flu jab now I'm over 65...still haven't decided. If I get flu this year then maybe I'll get one next year :)

I wish I didn't frequently pass out when getting innoculated. I'm sooo tired of always getting the latest flu. I *might* be able to get the inhalant-type of flu vaccine this year, and I think might go for it.

I didn't know that some people pass out when getting inoculated. How long does it take to recover from passing out? Could you get the shot lying down and then just pass out and reawaken a few minutes later? Or is passing out too hard on the body/mind to risk doing that? Just curious. I suspect your solution of getting a non-shot type vaccine is the best idea!

Cathy

Had a very nice hike at Long Ridge yesterday. Here are my pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/105234689104952250166/Long_Ridge_10_19_14?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLzcgaLqpJbPcA&feat=directlink

We had awesome weather for the hike. It was party cloudy and 75F. For once we were not baking in the heat!

I found three geocaches yesterday too. On my drive to Long Ridge, I stopped at Foothill Open Space Preserve and found one, then I stopped at Skyline Open Space Preserve and found the second. Finally during the hike at Long Ridge, I dashed off our route for .1 miles to grab the third cache. Bykenut, my geocaching buddy, stayed in the car while I found the first two and she did not come with me to the one at Long Ridge. Why? Because she had already found all of them! For the new folks, see the web page for information on what geocaching is: http://www.geocaching.com/videos/default.aspx#cat=PL939C3CBDC2F2F385&vid=1YTqitVK-Ts .

Cathy

• Like 1

I had never heard of Sambucol before. Maybe I will look into if I feel up to going out. As it is I'm still feeling really cruddy and extending my "vacation" from work. (unfortunately I already used up the small amount of sick leave we get earlier this year for dental appointments, "mental health" days, etc., so I'm having to use vacation time for this current illness)

daveb,

Bummer that you have to use vacation time for this illness! If we run out, we too have to use vacation or if we are out of vacation we have to take NOPA which means no pay. Our extra sick time used to roll over into the next year but the powers that be changed that and now every January you start with 80 hours for the year. Thankfully I have only used 33 hours this year so if I get sick I can stay home a week if need be before having to use vacation.

Sending heal quickly vibes your way so you can feel better and get back to work and have vacation left!

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy. We only get 40 hours a year (and I think we can roll over that amount over to the next year, so the absolute max is 80 hours). When I worked at the university years ago you could keep rolling over without limit (if you stayed til you retired it counted towards retirement somehow). I had at least a couple hundred hours (that got lost) when I left there, even though I started using every excuse to use some up once I knew I was going to be leaving. Yes, current job, Vacation time and then it goes to No Pay as well. I do get a good amount of vacation time (but I prefer to use it for more fun things).

Finding myself

Such a massive difference between USA and UK for sickness cover by employers. Things are changing here, especially with 'zero hour contracts'. But when I was working (29 years with the same large company) I was covered for months of paid sick leave. Very fortunate that way.

Calligraphette_Coe

I didn't know that some people pass out when getting inoculated. How long does it take to recover from passing out? Could you get the shot lying down and then just pass out and reawaken a few minutes later? Or is passing out too hard on the body/mind to risk doing that? Just curious. I suspect your solution of getting a non-shot type vaccine is the best idea!

I make absolutely sure they lay me down before they stick me with a needle. I've gotten a lot better, but the insidious thing is, even when you cure a deep-seated phobia like this one, it can return. I'm usually out for a short time, but there have been instances where the usual stimulant, ammonia, didn't work right away. I think it's similar to what an opossum does when confronted by a predator. In my case, I have a funky circulatory system and some nerve damage, and hitting my head HARD by hitting the floor would be very dangerous for me.

The medical term is vasovagal attack, where extreme fear stimulates the vagus nerve which lowers heart rate and blood pressure.

I got my first ever flu shot three weeks ago. It isn't fear of needles (I am a blood donor one pint shy of 7 gallons) but fear of side effects. My maternal grandfather got the swine flu shot in 1977 and became deathly ill with Guillaine-Barre syndrome. However I decided it was time to take one for the team and see if there was any familial issues that my nieces and nephews might need to worry about. Thankfully there hasn't been BUT I still caught a nasty head cold this weekend that settled in my sinuses and I managed to slightly pull my back muscles on Friday while coughing so I had to walk hunched over.

Remind me again why growing up was so great!

I hope you feel better soon, Techie!

added 10/21:

Took another day off from work today (more vacation time) since this cold is still lingering on. This evening I'm starting to feel like it may be turning the corner though. I'll probably stay home tomorrow, too. And then go back to work Thursday and Friday (and not do any of my usual overtime). Then I want to think about taking an actual vacation where I can have some fun doing things I like to do, rather than sit around at home feeling cruddy and unable/unwilling to do much of anything. I'll have to see how my vacation time is looking once I get back to work.

• Like 1

I'm still out sick. I had to run out to the store last night to restock my supplies of chicken soup, throat lozenges, etc. That's one thing about living solo (and not having anyone local you can call). You have to take care of yourself because there's no one else there to do things for you. "It's a blessing and a curse." (to misuse a quote from Monk)

Thanks, Kelly - I think I need to find a shorter more local adventure this year, maybe somewhere I can drive to in a reasonable amount of time. At least we're heading into cooler weather. I'm also hoping for some vacation/adventures farther away (like the UK - Hay-on-Wye has been on my travel wish list ever since I heard of it).

daveb -- sorry you've been under the weather. You'll get nothing but empathy from me! I had a colonoscopy September 22, and because my GI didn't give me the boost of prednisone and extra fluids that I need to get through things like this with my adrenal insufficiency, I have been battling asthmatic pneumonia and a sinus infection ever since! Ugh! At least I have neighbors to brings me things, though, and I have snuck out of the house for a few things since I am not contagious, just a danger to myself.

Welcome to all of the new folks! I have noticed a lot of new activity on the board, but my hands have been pinned down by cats. They don't let me type. Fickle little creatures at times, but good company.

Oh, I'm sorry you've been put through that, Blue Cat! I hope you feel better soon, too! (I wouldn't mind a cat in my lap these days, but I'd still need the use of my hands and the ability to get up often to make tea or soup or do other things that need doing). I saw 3 cats in my cul-de-sac when I went out to check the mail this afternoon.

I'm still debating on whether to try to go into work on Thursday. On the one hand, I hate to keep using up vacation hours. On the other hand, I am now in the constant coughing stage and that wears me down. I'm so tired of being sick (so I'm sick and tired).

That books sounds fun and interesting, Kelly. Many years ago I read The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street (later made into a movie starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins, if I'm not mistaken). I do like to read books like that occasionally, although I haven't read one in a while.

Sick leave used to be more generous - when I was in the Civil Service it was a max of 6 months in 7 years at full pay with a further 6 at half pay. They've changed a lot and like every employer I know of don't pay for the first 3 days (unless you were employed before the new regs came into force)

Now I don't get paid for the first 3 days and I can't remember how many I'm allowed after that. I certainly exceeded it last year when I was off for a couple of months. When I went back I was on the 'Monitoring your attendance' procedure (that lasts for 6 months), but that's all behind me now (thank goodness and I HOPE I never have another extended period of sickness)...well, can't get gallstones again, can I :D

Here it is, Thursday morning and I'm still undecided about going back to work. I woke up about 4AM with coughing fits and just couldn't stop. So I went out to a local 24 hour pharmacy and got some cough medicine. Got back home and took some of that. So far it seems better. Still, by dint of inertia I may very well just stay home again today and try for tomorrow.

Hmmm, that's interesting about not paying for the first 3 days, Tan. I guess that means you're either expected to work through minor illnesses (when they are often most contagious) or take off without pay if you have something like a nasty 24 hour bug, and sick leave is really meant for things that last longer. Ours is kind of the opposite, since we get only a limited amount of sick leave but can use it from the start. I think there might be some sort of longer term thing, but if so it's quite a bit longer term. Like you have to be off for quite a while and have to use up all other leave (sick and vacation) first. That is, if I'm remembering correctly.

Welcome, Sheila! Have some :cake:

Seems we have quite a few people from the Pacific NW around here. I love the area, and hope to live up north some day.

Hi, Sheila! I live just across 520, over on the Eastside! Technically I am in unincorporated King County, but I live in the Redmond/Woodiville area. What suburb are you in?