anyone past 50 on here?

Thanks to everyone for your support. It means a lot to me. It is definitely good to be able to "talk" here. I can't share at work because the wife of one of my co-workers has a professional relationship with my dad. And another co-worker had him as a professor. Both think he walks on water. I don't want to tarnish their respect for him.

No news today. I'm packing for my trip, and hoping the quiet is a good sign.

Deja Vu, Still thinking positive thoughts for your Dad and I hope things settle down soon. I feel for the your frustrations. I just got the news from my Mom that she discontinued the medic alert service she signed up for. I don't understand why she cancelled it. I don't see how it would be a bother unless it costs a lot. I'm debating whether to stick my nose in her business and ask her why she cancelled it. It certainly made me feel better knowing she had it. Anyhow, it made me think of your situation where you can't really control what your Dad does.

Finding Myself, I hope tuning in here is a little bit of help. It must be hard to not be able to talk with your parents when you were so accustomed to doing so.

Cathy

• Like 3

Finding Myself, I know about those lonely nights. I spend a lot of time conversing with my cats. They actually talk back, which is kind of scary. I had a really hard time right after Mom died, and had to leave the TV on because I couldn't stand the quiet. I was so accustomed to having Mom here in the house with me. I've had to find a lot of activities to keep myself busy to keep from being lonely.

Deja Vu, I can relate to what you and your dad are going through. Losing your license is losing your freedom. It is very, very difficult not being able to drive. I am trapped alone in my house, beholden to others whenever I want to do the littlest thing. Many doctors do not want to take away a patient's license because they are afraid of being sued (my doctor told me this), which is why my docs were so glad I gave mine up voluntarily. There are only certain medical conditions which warrant removal of your license: a seizure or heart attack which requires resuscitation is an automatic 6 month suspension. There is more pressure for the DMV to require re-testing over a certain age, but many are against this because driving capabilities vary so much among the elderly.

My brain tumor stole my peripheral vision overnight with no warning. I don't tell many people what happened, but I was driving home from work, and a block away from home, I hit a dog. I was only going 25, and the dog was okay, but I never saw him coming and it terrified me because it could have been a kid. I got home, set my keys on the table, and said I was never driving again. That was in 2001, and I haven't driven since.

• Like 2

Welcome, Woodsprite! (I really like your avatar) Have some :cake:

Tanwen, sounds like a wise decision. Hopefully the reduced income won't be too much of a problem. Getting better sleep, and avoiding driving situations that you are becoming less comfortable with, are good things.

Finding myself, I hope you can find some ways to feel better in spite of your losses.

Blue Cat, best wishes to you, too. And a wise decision as well, in spite of how it curtails your freedom.

Still working long hours, but that shouldn't last too much longer.

• Like 1
Finding myself

Blue Cat: That incident in 2001 must have been terrible for you. And the subsequent loss of independence and freedom resulting from no longer driving sounds very very hard.

daveb: Hoping your working hours revert to normal soon.

Deja Vu: Hoping the trip goes smoothly.

cdrdash: This thread does help. I really appreciate the support. :)

I went into college today - the first time since Dad became ill. It was hard emotionally, but I will quickly settle back in again.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Only 8 and a half hours of work today. And tomorrow shouldn't be much longer than that. One hurdle over for now. And this weekend is supposed to be relatively cool (with a slight chance of a little precipitation).

Getting back into daily life and all will hopefully help, Finding myself. Take care!

• Like 1

Daveb thank you for the welcome.

Deja Vu: Certainly best of luck on your journey.

Blue Cat: Such a tough position to be in waiting for others to drive you about. I hope it's not too stressful and you have methods of coping.

My parents are both gone at this point. I am in the process of cleaning out generations of their stuff and whatever dumpster they regularly dove into. Treating it like an archological dig there is some amazing things here... And so far I've filled two large dumpsters. I have one beautiful room (my tree fort) for escape.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying a mellow week at work and so far a mellow Friday. We are getting rained on at the moment which is great for the SF bay area. We need all the rain we can get. The weekend forecast is partly cloudy for both days which should be good for my hiking plans.

This coming weekend is the official wild flower hike weekend for me. Last weekend was definitely a wild flower show on both hikes but the first hike was not advertised as such. This weekend's hikes are both advertised as wild flower hikes!

On Saturday I'll be co-leading a wild flower hike at Edgewood park for GLS. This hike is the provisional hike for my co-leader and I'm her mentor and will evaluate how she does leading the hike. If she does fine, I'll recommend she be made a hike leader. I'm 99% sure that I'll be recommending she be a leader! But I will have to remind myself during the hike to not forget to evaluate her! I'm sure the flowers will be distracting!

Sunday I am going on a Santa Clara Open Space Authority docent led wild flower hike. I had to sign up for it and get a ticket (its free but they limit the number of people allowed so you need to reserve a spot by getting a ticket). They take us on a piece of land on Coyote Ridge that is not open to the public generally but is famous for the wild flower shows. Bykenut is joining me for the hike and we will car pool to the trail head together.

Cathy

• Like 6

I wish I had a hobbit hole (scaled up to my size of course). With some trees around it.

Sounds very nice, Cathy! We may get a lttile rain here tonight or early tomorrow. At least it's supposed to be cooler here. I found out about one hiking trail not too far of a drive from where I live. I may see about checking it out one of these days.

Congratulations to Trick and Deja Vu!

Yay! The weekend is here! The long hours are over for a little while anyway. Time to relax. :)

• Like 3

The hike sound like a blast Cathy -enjoy!

Send pictures that we might live vicariously.

Daveb - a hobbit hole is a fun Idea. I do have a high water table though so for me up is better. I do not have an "official" tree house (yet) but it has that feeling. Maybe this summer I can convince my young cousin to build something.

• Like 2

Apparently there was a little rain during the night. But just a little dampness and small puddles left this morning. I did see a car with snow on it in a parking lot at the local mall, so they must have gotten a few inches of snow in the local mountains. Still, it's nice and cool here today. :)

Nice hike this morning at Edgewood but the rain yesterday brought in some chilly weather and the poppies didn't want to open up all the way. But we still had a fairly good wild flower show.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/105234689104952250166/Edgewood_4_26_14?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOKY4_mzvJTefw&feat=directlink

I got to try out my new brown hat too! Oh and my co-leader did very well and I will recommend that she become an official hike leader!

Cathy

• Like 3

Nice hat!

Wow, you're getting quite the photo collection of wildflowers, eh? Looks like a very lovely hike (could do without the poison oak, though!).

I didn't do any hiking, but I did do a little bookshopping. (a couple of new Terry Practhett books, a book about history, one about cats, and one about The Hobbit) (oh, and a Sherlock Holmes book I had ordered arrived today, too)

• Like 1

Sounds like a great hike, Cathy. And I'll take one of those Hobbit holes too, daveb.

I think I mentioned that about four weeks ago, I had a seizure while riding my scooter and crashed into a pole. Although I wasn't injured too badly, I bruised my leg very badly with a good sized hematoma on the inside of my calf. My leg was bruised from my knee to my toes and had been doing better, when suddenly last week, a large lump re-emerged and the hematoma was bigger than ever. Within 24 hours it was infected (yep, a bruise can get infected). Now I am on antibiotics and confined to bed with my leg elevated. It's quite boring.

Sorry to hear it, Blue cat. Feel better soon!

Great photos, Cathy!

daveb, a Hobbit Hole for me!

WoodSprite, we share the same dream for treehouses!

• Like 1

Ouch. Best wishes and better health news soon, Blue Cat! Are the animals comforting you? I hope you're not stuck in boredom vile for too long!

Smials for all the hobbit hole dwellers! ;)

• Like 1

Yes, daveb, the cats are definitely comforting me and keeping me entertained. Jazz is so cute. One of my friends gave me a new cat toy for my birthday, and I brought it out for him yesterday. He got really excited and played with it for a few minutes, then came running up to me and hugged my leg and rubbed against me for pets to say thank you, and then he went back to play with the toy for an hour.

The dogs are at the foot of my bed full time, keeping me pretty much pinned down. I have been watching seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones while pinned down. It's quite the production. I'd love to know the budget.

• Like 4

Another lovely wild flower hike with the added bonus of having docents to question about what we saw. The day was cool at first but heading up the 850 feet hill got me totally soaked with sweat! Flowers were wonderful but I really enjoyed the puffy clouds in the sky on this trip and the views of the mountains with mist whirling around the tops of them.

Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/105234689104952250166/Coyote_Ridge_4_27_14?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJKH4qG4u-fahwE&feat=directlink

• Like 1

Have to go to eye doctor today at 2:30 pm to have a sudden increase in floaters in my left eye checked out. I'm nervous. My left eye was where I had a detached retina repaired in my late 20's. Hope the retina hasn't detached again. I don't really know enough about eye health to have a sense if this is serious or not but I do know that its best to get eye problems checked out pronto! So I'll be on pins and needles till 2:30 pm (that's 5.5 hours from now). I noticed the increase in floaters on the hike yesterday and as I drove home started to get concerned about it and so this morning made the call to the eye doctor.

Cathy

Finding myself

cdrdash: definitely good to get that checked out. Hope you have received the all clear Cathy.

Just got back from the opthamologist. He examined both eyes and my left eye a bunch and all looked OK to him but he wasn't 100% sure that all was well so is sending me to see a retina expert tomorrow. He explained that floaters come from the vitreous jelly of the retina and are harmless but that a tiny tear in the retina could also look like a floater so that it was good that I came in to have it looked at. I have an appointment at 2:15 tomorrow to see the retina expert. Hopefully they will confirm that I don't have a tear in my retina but if I do, they will be the right folks to treat it and fix it. I'm to not jump around between now and the appointment and no aspirin or ibuprofen, just Tylenol. The doctor did reassure me that the retina is still quite firmly attached.

• Like 5
Finding myself

cdrdash: Phew! Hoping you get the all clear tomorrow. Thinking of you.

• Like 1