• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
    • Kelly

Join the team. Moderators and Project Team Member needed: Voting   01/04/18

Voting has started. See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166163-new-moderator-member-needed-announcements-and-tea-and-sympathy-moderator-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166162-new-moderator-member-needed-just-for-fun-aven-arcade-and-alternative-language-forum-moderator-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166161-new-project-team-member-needed-answering-team-and-wiki-coordinator-voting/  
boots57

anyone past 50 on here?

Skycaptain

@Tja, not the homecoming you want. :(Hope that the floodwater hasn't damaged the electrics at the very least.

Thea2
6 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja ... Unfortunately, "here" is not where you are or I would be over to your house tomorrow helping you clean up and discard.

Well said, that’s what I think too. 

teatree

Catching up on the thread this morning and am so sorry to hear of Tja's misfortune. Ack. We would all be there to help if we could.

Tja

Thanks, All!!!

I'd be there to help you all, too!!!!!!

Thea2
On 17/01/2018 at 10:52 PM, faraday☘ said:

When I respond to the questions it seems that I lean toward being fair and loyal, etc., versus intellectual or witty.  As far as I know a patronus is always some kind of animal.

I've been regularly harvesting ...

@faraday☘ Thank you for the reply 😊 . Seems you have green fingers 👩‍🌾.

Spotastic

@Tja I can only echo everyone else's sentiment that the water situation sucks and I hope your insurance will compensate you for something if not what the actual worth of things is. Philly isn't exactly the best with those kind of things, though... <_<

@Thea2 Back when I was using Pottermore regularly there was only 1 book completed and everybody didn't have a patronus. I would have to re-register at the site now it seems.

I am probably the youngest regular in this thread at 35, but I'm glad I popped in and stuck around like I did. :D Like @daveb says, no id's are checked and everyone is welcome.

Thea2

First snowdrop in my garden today 😊

Tja
16 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

First snowdrop in my garden today 😊

Oooo...I love snowdrops! :)

Tja
43 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@Tja I can only echo everyone else's sentiment that the water situation sucks and I hope your insurance will compensate you for something if not what the actual worth of things is.

Thanks, Spotty!

43 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Philly isn't exactly the best with those kind of things, though...

No.

chandrakirti

Hi All!

i'm shocked to hear of the damage your house has sustained, @Tja! I hope the great times you had travelling aren't diminished by it and that the insurer sends a team to sort it out pronto! Sending all the best to you in the hope it's very short term.

My bedroom window is scratched from the nails sticking out of the panel. Turns out it wasn't my panel, but the lady next door, whose home seems to be situated slap bang in a wind funnel! I feel sorry for her as this happens every year. I'm getting the window company to replace that pane as it's in my insurance, so it won't cost me anything.

@Thea2, yes! Those are the sort of panels we have in Scotland, but horizontally - I put in two 6x3 panels instead of one 6x6 , so the wind seems to get through those. When I lived in London and our damp proofing came to the end of its life, I didn't want to have poisonous chemicals injected into our brickwork, so we got Schrijver bricks from the Netherlands instead, they work really well, I'd recommend them. I think that Dutch inventors are very clever.

@Mz Terry, according to my daughter, the west side didn't get the wind, she's near Gloucester and there was nothing to report. I guess the north sea attracts howling gales!

I'm getting on better at this job than the last one, despite the ubiquitous patronising young women. Must be their hormones.:lol:

Here comes the weekend! hope it's a great one for all.

Muledeer

We're having an epic snowstorm today!   12+ inches and still snowing.   Our first big storm of the winter season.  Time to go shovel and get the snow-thrower started.

Semisweet

Just got back from participating in one of the U.S. women's marches. It seemed pretty packed and energetic, though I don't yet know how the turnout here or at any of the "sister" marches compared with last year's.  

@chandrakirti, that's a scary experience you had! Glad that insurance will pay for your replacement window pane, at least.

@Muledeer, hope you don't get too buried under by the storm. Here, the frigid temperatures and ice of recent weeks have given way to sun and mild temperatures for the moment -- I plan to enjoy it while it lasts. :)

@Tja, I hope you've been able to make initial calls and such to start the ball rolling on the repair process. And fingers crossed that your insurer will be responsive and non-stingy in its coverage decisions. 

Thea2

@chandrakirti I Googled them,  as I had never heard of Schrijver bricks before. 8)

chandrakirti

They worked very well, those bricks @Thea2

That sounds like a very interesting thing to do today @Semisweet! Was it any particular kind of women's march? I'm just wondering if it was about general empowerment of women. I'm not sure we have 'sister' marches here, at least I haven't heard of any with that name.

Geez @Muledeer, stay safe in that weather!

will123
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

@Tja, I hope you've been able to make initial calls and such to start the ball rolling on the repair process. And fingers crossed that your insurer will be responsive and non-stingy in its coverage decisions. 

Times two on this. I didn't get the final payment after my incident until July.

EarthMama

We're having a heat wave!  It got above 50 here in Wisconsin today...I got to take a walk withOUT wearing 20 pounds of protective layers to keep me flexible enough to move without freezing in place!  Did a good 2 mile circle, got to visit a section of the river I've not spoken with since it got cold...

Still a little ice, and I'm sure it'll freeze again soon, but I'm happy to enjoy the day :D

will123

It was 40 degrees (F) here and our snow is rapidly disappearing. At one point we had about 15 inches and now we're down to 5 at the most (in places). I don't know why the concern for global warming/climate change in Canada since it seems like everyone, their uncle and his dog HATE winter. I think they would be quite content if the average temperature from October to April was around 15* C. :mad: We have cold or snow and the whining commences ad nauseum. It's Canada for

fuck

sakes.

I remember talking to the desk clerk at a motel in Charlotte a couple of years ago. They had a warm winter as we had a relatively mild one with little snow. He said he hated it as he enjoyed the four seasons and what they brought.

Went to a graveside service this morning. It was for  lady who my mother had known and I know her children and one of her granddaughters.

Muledeer

@Semisweet Thank you for caring enough about a cause to go out and demonstrate!  We need more folks like you.  I wish I had a cause that would motivate me to demonstrate my viewpoint.

@will123 I'm glad you were able to attend that service this morning.  I would much rather attend a memorial service than a wedding or even a birthday party.

Nice photo, @EarthMama!

The snowstorm has ended, and it was a delightful day.  The snow was light and fluffy and easy to clear.  Today I am making some oxtail stew.  I harvested a fresh oxtail from a fine looking Angus steer earlier this week.   Oxtail stew is a two day process the way I make it.  I cut the tail into segments and put it into the slow cooker today.  After it simmers all day I will pick the meat off the tail bones then cool the broth overnight and skim the fat before cooking the vegetables into the stew tomorrow.  I know this is an ethnic British dish - do you folks make it the same way over there?  I also harvested some fresh beef liver which I intend to cook for dinner tonight.

Tja
3 hours ago, Semisweet said:

1 hour ago, will123 said:

Times two on this. I didn't get the final payment after my incident until July

Thanks!

The insurance adjuster won't come here until next Friday.:rolleyes:

I've cleared the dining room. Bought a pump, and 2 100' hoses, to clear the water from the basement. Most of it's gone.

I'm using a wet vac to get the rest out, but, I had to stop after carrying 3 buckets full of water outside. No spring chicken, here.:mellow:

I shudder to think of all the remaining boxes and bags I'll have to throw out. The rest of the week is going to be rough.

That stew sounds good, @Muledeer. Normally, I wouldn't care to try something like that, but, after having steak and kidney pudding, I've grown more adventurous. ;)

chandrakirti

What a job to do @Tja, crossed fingers you don't lose much and I hope the house structure isn't affected.:mellow:

I caught up on the news and there were loads of videos and photos of the women's marches! how could I have missed all that @Semisweet? Good on you! Some of the placards were very witty too.

Lovely photo @EarthMama, these are the true riches (not the money and stuff).:D

Oddly enough, it's snowing here! Don't think it will stay though, as it's melting as soon as it lands on the paving.

Off to see 'The Post' later....looking forward to that, then tomorrow...back to the usual.

Skycaptain

Hiya folk 

@Muledeer, like most British dishes there's several ways to make oxtail stew. I slow cook as well, but just leave everything in the pan, so the veg absorb the flavour (and fat:P), just removing the bones shortly before serving. Others serve the dish with bones and you remove them as you eat.

@Tja, that sounds a lot of work. Hope not too much of the written off stuff was irreplaceable or heirlooms :(

We had a few flakes of snow fall, without settling, now it's warmed up its turned to rain 

Thea2
14 hours ago, Tja said:

... No spring chicken, here.:mellow:

:lol: Sounds like you are doing very well though. Good luck for the rest of the week, I think you are being very courageous. :cake: :cake: :cake: