anyone past 50 on here?

Well, I should be home, but, American customs decided to close before they could transfer my checked bag to my flight out of Toronto. Air Canada had to pay for putting me in the Marriott for the night, and I'll fly home tomorrow.

Not mad, as I had a wonderful dinner, and got to know a professional extreme sportsman, who also had the same trouble. Interesting guy, who was also extremely handsome, so, it made a pleasant evening. A lovely woman, at the airport, let me use her phone to call my neighbor, and keep him from driving to the airport to pick me up. I'll figure out how to get home from Philadelphia, when I get there. Of course, I may decide to stay here, for a few days, and explore Toronto. I'll see how I feel when I get up.

• Like 12

@Semisweet, variations in the spellings of chemicals and elements is surprisingly common, Sulphur in Britain, Sulfur in the USA for example, what is unusual with Aluminium /Aluminum is the difference pronunciations, Al-you-mini-um and Aloo-min-um (guess who hasn't studied linguistics hence no phonetics :P)

@Tja, even by our standards of government service that is diabolical. If customs just shut here stranding passengers it would be front page news and calls for the Hone Secretary's head on a block. Still, at least you're seeing somewhere you weren't expecting to 

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Spotastic said:

Slytherin. I always get Slytherin or Ravenclaw when I take House quizzes. My wife is Hufflepuff all the way.

Thank you Spotastic. 8) Do you also know your patronus? 

14 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

... Pottermore ... Will have to get back on!... Nothing much going on here, just work and lazing... 

No news is good news the saying goes here. 8) My sorting head puts you in ... Gryffindor; patronus ... Scottish wildcat of course. :D http://www.copyright-free-photos.org.uk/animals/big-cats/scottish-wild-cat.jpg

11 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Ravenclaw ...  my patio us from Pottermore is a doe which I don't feel is quite "me"... The he construction on this house is feeling so slow! ... 

Thank you Mocha Jo. 8) Personally, I hate the  upheaval of work being done. Wishing you best of luck with it all; it will be worth it in the end. Maybe try a she construction? :lol: At least you've got a 'patio', even if it's not quite "me" :lol: I think a doe is beautiful. 

10 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

...  I always think I'm going to be Hufflepuff, but I always end up Ravenclaw.  My patronus always changes.  It has also shown a falcon and hare.  So not sure how accurate they really are.  They all ask different questions.  I like all animals, so I suppose it's fitting. 

Why do you always think you're going to be Hufflepuff?  Falcon and hare? :huh: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ADHVRhQz3Ak/hqdefault.jpg

Pottermore is just for fun, methinks, not necessarily  accurate. Isn't a patronus always an animal? 

7 hours ago, Tja said:

...Air Canada had to pay for putting me in the Marriott for the night ...had a wonderful dinner, and got to know a ... extremely handsome,..

Sounds like you're making the best of it anyway. 8)

Some serious multi quoting going on here. I think I’ve made up now for all my double postings in the past. :ph34r:

• Like 8
12 hours ago, will123 said:

In Canada, lumber for the most part is still measured in inches, 2 x 4, 2 x 8. Plywood is still sold in 4' x 8' sheets.

In the computer industry, English measurements still dominate the standards. Equipment racks used is server farms are the industry standard 19 inches. Understandable since those racks in one form or another date back to the earliest days of electronics. But you have 3.5" hard drives, 2.5" hard drives in laptops. 15 inch laptop screens. They do publish those sizes in metric in the rest of the world but you can tell by the oddball number that it was a conversion from English measurement to metric. On the flip side, probably the most useful tool I have is the 10mm socket wrench I use on my Honda. Just about every bolt on the car is that size. Except the wheel nuts are industry standard 3/4 inch LOL. 

• Like 6
On 15-1-2018 at 10:57 PM, Kazbe said:

... (which is supposedly unusual - or so it said). 

Screen_Shot_2018-01-16_at_8.59.17_am.png

When I got my patronus it just said 'your patronus is a Mink', so nothing special there. But I do like my mink. I can imagine being it; except for the tail, I really don't know what it would feel like to have a tail (@Skycaptain no jokes pls, this is not the poop thread :lol:); a bit like having an extra limb?  

• Like 9

@Thea2, me, make a poop joke??

A tail would make signalling easy when you're cycling, just point it in the direction of the intended turn :P:P

The daftest mixed measure is tyres. Wheel diameter and width is (nowadays since TRX tyres have fallen by the wayside) imperial, whilst tyres widths are metric 

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Tja, even by our standards of government service that is diabolical. If customs just shut here stranding passengers it would be front page news and calls for the Hone Secretary's head on a block. Still, at least you're seeing somewhere you weren't expecting to 

Skycaptain, US customs has agents in the airport in Toronto. I haven't flown to the US since 2000 (pre 9-11), but before, once you cleared US customs in Toronto, it made for a much quicker 'exit' from your destination. Pick up your luggage and you were off.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Tja said:

Of course, I may decide to stay here, for a few days, and explore Toronto. I'll see how I feel when I get up.

Too bad I wasn't still in my hometown, (much closer to the city). I could do the 'tour guide' thing with you. It would've been nicer for you if this had happened during the warmer months.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Why do you always think you're going to be Hufflepuff?  Falcon and hare? :huh: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ADHVRhQz3Ak/hqdefault.jpg

Pottermore is just for fun, methinks, not necessarily  accurate. Isn't a patronus always an animal? 

When I respond to the questions it seems that I lean toward being fair and loyal, etc., versus intellectual or witty.  As far as I know a patronus is always some kind of animal.

I've been regularly harvesting out of my garden and eating yummy salads and tasty veggies.  Currently, as I'm typing this message I have all 5 of my animals either leaning against me or on my lap.  It makes typing kinda difficult.  However, worth it!:D 

• Like 9

Hi, I have just discovered this site through an ABC new article! Who knew? :P I am about to turn 63, have had a lifetime of difficult sexual relationships, primarily because it's never felt comfortable for me; and have also had many years of no sexual relationships at all. I long to have partnership without the stress and strain of sex! What a relief to find a place where this is not seen as weird or judged negatively! :)

• Like 9

Welcome, @Jayred63, and happy approaching birthday! :cake: You'll find plenty of like-minded and like-aged people on this thread, plus lots of interesting, educational and entertaining conversations, on many subjects.

• Like 6

Welcome, @Jayred63- this is the liveliest thread, even though I have also aged out of it technically!

@Thea2- I don't proofread well on the iPad with its autocorrect! Darn. I have to remember to do that, lol.

more snow today... 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Jayred63 said:

Hi, I have just discovered this site through an ABC new article! Who knew? :P I am about to turn 63, have had a lifetime of difficult sexual relationships, primarily because it's never felt comfortable for me; and have also had many years of no sexual relationships at all. I long to have partnership without the stress and strain of sex! What a relief to find a place where this is not seen as weird or judged negatively! :)

Welcome to AVEN!  I discovered AVEN a few years ago through a New York Times article.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Mocha Jo said:

this is the liveliest thread, even though I have also aged out of it technically!

No, no, no...the title is "Anyone PAST 50 on Here?" not IN their 50s! So 60s, 70s, etc. all are PAST 50, right???? ^_^ Anyway, lots of younger people stop by as well, all are welcome.

I found out about asexuality and this site through a news article (not sure from what source, but I think it was British) on my FB feed. I was so excited I could barely stand it! I rushed over here and promptly joined. 

• Like 10
42 minutes ago, teatree said:

No, no, no...the title is "Anyone PAST 50 on Here?" not IN their 50s! So 60s, 70s, etc. all are PAST 50, right???? ^_^ Anyway, lots of younger people stop by as well, all are welcome.

Exactly! I am past 60 now, but also still past 50. :) Anyway, it's the best thread with the best people (including the younger ones)! :D 

I replenished some hobby supplies today so I was able to make good progress on a hobby project. This evening I am enjoying the rain. :)

• Like 8

A question for the ornithologists or world travellers here. I just saw on the news that the penguins at the Calgary (Alberta) Zoo were being allowed back outdoors. Apparently the weather has been quite cold.

Now my question, how cold does it get in the Antarctic?

• Like 7

I live quite close to the Antarctic and have been on a boat going further towards Antartica - it sure was very cold! We had many layers on and a special windbreak jacket - still cold!

• Like 7

I don't know if the species of penguin matters. Not all of them live that far south. There are even penguins as far north as the Galapagos Islands (they are actually called Galapagos penguins). The interior of Antarctica gets very cold! But penguins live close to the coast, where I'm sure it gets chilly, but not as bad as the interior. Still, I can't imagine it often gets too cold for penguins in Alberta. Although, the interior of North America gets more extreme temps, too.

• Like 6

I watched a BBC show about Emperor Penguins last night in my hotel room.  Interesting birds.

Just returned from an overnight work trip (inspecting meat) to beautiful Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  Yesterday was spectacular - thick frost on the trees, fresh snow and bright blue skies.  The Snake River was flowing freely, with floating ice.  I passed an Elk feed ground with hundreds of animals gathered at their winter home in Alpine.  The roads were clear and traffic was light.  I just got a new pair of eyeglasses and started wearing them  full-time last weekend.   The finer details of life are amazing when you can see them!

I left Elsa home alone.  She did just fine by herself, but she didn't eat even one kibble of her dog food while I was gone.  She always seems happy when I return home from a trip.  I'm glad she is independent; my neighbor is training his GSD puppy but his new couch just got shredded while he was away.

@faraday☘ Sounds cozy being surrounded by your FIVE animals.  Is it three cats and two dogs?

• Like 8

Well yesterday it just rained and rained and rained. We had a fun visit to WOW, the World of Wearable Art museum (and WOW it is too. Google it in a spare moment, because I just can't describe it), but not much else. Bought ingredients, made a meal and drank some wine. Mustn't complain.

Today turned out better than forecast, so had a walk around town and even a paddle in the Pacific Ocean! Never done that before.

Tomorrow we pick up our RV (home for the next 19 days) and head off into the unknown. If wifi and phone signals are as scarce as I think they could be, I might be a bit quiet for a while....

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome from a fellow Aussie, @Jayred63 :cake: :cake: :cake: Was that the article that had input from Steph and Elyse? My daughter emailed it to me this morning . . . we know them because they're both regulars at a meetup group we've attended.

This thread is certainly "PAST 50" . . . I've just turned 73 :lol:

3 hours ago, daveb said:

Exactly! I am past 60 now, but also still past 50. :) Anyway, it's the best thread with the best people (including the younger ones)! :D 

Agreed, @daveb . . . definitely a great thread with pretty special people - and very supportive when anyone needs help or comfort :wub:

• Like 9

@Jayred63 welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

Not every regular on this thread is past 50 yet, :P

Enjoy your exploring @Midland Tyke

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I just got a new pair of eyeglasses and started wearing them  full-time last weekend.   The finer details of life are amazing when you can see them!

Isn't it eye-opening when you get new glasses and everything seems so crystal clear for a while? :)

3 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

If wifi and phone signals are as scarce as I think they could be, I might be a bit quiet for a while....

Have a great time (and let us know how it goes whenever you are able and willing :) )!

2 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

pretty special people

Including you!

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

regular on this thread

and you!

:D 

• Like 5

@Jayred63 Welcome again. 😊

8 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

...  the iPad with its autocorrect! ...

I’m in a constant battle with the autocorrect too. Once I had it on Dutch and posted complete gibberish. 🤣

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @Jayred63, it is the liveliest thread!(but I'm biased). 

Wonder if those penguins were South African.....

Sitting here half asleep, unable to go to work today because I never slept a minute! Spent most of the night trying to retrieve various bits and bobs to and from my garden as the high winds destroyed the fence again! Woke at 3,20 am to a slamming noise right at my head ...it was a fence panel flying through the air and hitting my bedroom window (on the first floor, 12 feet up)...the place looks like it's been hit by a tornado (apologies to anyone who has actually been hit by a tornado).

...and as if by magic, it now looks like a summer's day, as if butter wouldn't melt in its mouth<_<

Good to hear all the Pottermore stuff going on, can't wait for the next Fantastic Beasts film.

Haven't had a decent catch up with the thread yet (no brain cells left!) All the best, back to bed here...zzzzz

Autumn Sunrise

That sounds terrifying, @chandrakirti - I'm glad you're OK, and it's no wonder you need to sleep after that! I hope the damage isn't too awful!

• Like 7

Joke, moi? 

I know about the lack of sleep last night because of the wind and rain, although happily my fence is intact (probably because I had to replace several panels in 2016),.  Kitties didn't like it, they snuggled on my bed next to me, rather restless 

• Like 8